Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 20 years! Thank you fans of URC

20 years! Thank you fans of URC

Posted: 8/29/16 at 1:27:49 PM
Views: 1818

Today (8/29/16) is the 20th birthday of Ultimate Rollercoaster. The site began as a simple, one page website of links to other roller coaster related websites and grew from there.

It's hard to imagine that 20 years has gone by since the start, but I vividly remember the day I posted the website on Earthlink personal account at the URL www.earthlink.net/~egieszl/urc.html and watched the counter in the footer begin to slowly count the visitors one-by-one over the initial year.

While I haven't been as active lately in updating the website I still wanted to recognize and thank the many fans of the site. Without your support it would never have grown to become what it is today. I also appreciate the many friends I've made from this endeavor and look forward to continuing to meet more users of the site in the future.

If you haven't done so then please take a look out the Ultimate Rollercoaster Instagram that started earlier this year. http://www.instagram.com/ultimaterollercoaster New photos have been posted almost daily all summer long.

Thank you all,

Eric

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: 20 years! Thank you Eric !! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/29/16 2:41:28 PM
It's been a pleasure for my part, and most certainly it has been more work for you than for us. Thank you for all your hard work over the years.

At Kings Island's (then PKI's) opening day in the spring of 1999, I observed the excavation behind Top Gun and searched online for any info on their new attraction... and the search led me to URC and what was ultimately Son of Beast... then the URC-2 gathering. A lot of people have come and gone over the years. I am glad to have become one of the "old timers." Thanks again for being the glue that holds us together.

Re: 20 years! Thank you Eric !! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/29/16 8:43:18 PM
Happy 20th URC!!!
Re: 20 years! Thank you fans of URC by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/30/16 7:39:45 PM
Happy Birthday URC!

And congrats, Eric, that's really something.

Mike B.
Re: 20 years! Thank you Eric !! by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/30/16 7:52:21 PM
RobLec said:

I am glad to have become one of the "old timers."

Rob, when you say you are glad you are an "old timer"
I know you are referring to your time here. Not actual age.

From one old timer to another. And I do mean actual age!
LOL

RobLec said:

A lot of people have come and gone over the years.

True that.
Some of those people I know got out of the hobby for legit life reasons, but others just disappeared, stopped posting anywhere, never to be seen at parks again, and I wonder about that from time to time.

Mike B.
Re: 20 years! Thank you fans of URC by AirBear AirBear Profile at 8/30/16 11:50:08 PM
I may not always post, but when I do, I prefer URC :-)

A very happy 20th anniversary, and many thanks to our wonderful webmaster Eric Gieszl for all his hard work on URC over the years!

Rick

Re: 20 years! Thank you fans of URC by mucciared at 9/1/16 11:51:56 AM
Thanks for keeping this going Eric :)
Re: 20 years! Thank you fans of URC by Capler at 9/1/16 12:47:32 PM
Happy birthday, don't post and visit parks much any more because health and age has walked me down, but I do pop into the site from time to time just to see who is still around. It's hard to believe it has been 20 years. I have a soft spot for URC because at the time it was one of the few places we could exchange information about parks and coasters. Did not visit a park this year, but I may go next year after having a knee replaced in the winter. Getting old is no joke, but it's better than the alternative. Take care all.
Re: 20 years! Thank you fans of URC by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 9/1/16 9:11:33 PM
I can still remember hearing about URC on the old RecRollerCoaster usenet list and the Roller Coaster Talk email list that started out on rollercoaster.com and then coming over to check it out. That was around the time of the URC 2 gathering. Got to meet some people at Stark Raven Mad, PPP and a couple of other events, and off and on through the years thanks to URC and made some great friends.

Funny thing is, I've crossed paths with Eric a bunch over the years, but I don't know if we've ever actually met in person. I know we've been at events together though. lol

Can't believe it's been 20 years, but that's about right. Started in the hobby around the time my daughter was born. Now I feel old. Thanks! :P

But hey, lets go for 20 more!

Re: 20 years! Thank you fans of URC by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/5/16 9:06:51 PM
Thanks for keeping this site going for so long!

Nice shots on IG.

Here's to 20 more!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: 20 years! Thank you fans of URC by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 9/27/16 8:33:14 AM
Well HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, URC!!

~MommaBeast, who remembers oh-so-much from prior postings!😉

Re: 20 years! Thank you fans of URC by Patripman Patripman Profile at 9/28/16 3:51:57 PM
And yet no plans for a reunion event, no plans for another gathering, NOTHING.
Anyway happy anniversary URC, so much fun over the years. Funny the other day I found 2 new URC hats in a box along with several hundred Fascination tickets, sounds like I maybe taking a road trip next week for PPP just to cash in the tickets.

Patripman

Re: 20 years! Thank you fans of URC by AirBear AirBear Profile at 10/1/16 12:20:23 PM
I hope you're not kidding about the trip to Knoebels next week, Bernard. It's been quite a few years, and it would be great to see you again.

Rick (who will be there Friday and Saturday)

Re: 20 years! Thank you fans of URC by MABrider MABrider Profile at 10/3/16 5:42:00 PM
Yes, Bernard.
Leave Ripples at home (remember HIM, Rick?) and get thee to PPP.
Mike B.