Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews?

Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews?

Posted: 3/24/15 at 12:17:19 PM
Views: 9424

Seeing as the media storm is starting over Carowind's new coaster, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on it. Not seeing much other than the standard preview footage, but I'm not sure what to think from it. A big drop and I don't see a whole lot that has impressed me. So what am I missing? Is there more than 2 small airtime moments? Will it actually have some forces and intensity to it?

Surprised I haven't seen any reviews yet from the early riders. Or those proclaiming it the greatest coaster ever! lol

Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/24/15 4:03:31 PM
I most likely will go there this summer to check it out. I'm with you SW, I'm not uber-impressed with the POV footage. Intimidator is an excellent airtime packed hyper, and I still don't understand the concept of adding a chainlift coaster taller than it in Carowinds. Over time, we'll see if Fury 325 consistently adds a significant amount of visitors to Carowinds like many are claiming.

TBH, I would've been more excited if they would've added a Rocky Mtn Construction woodie ie Outlaw Run; A coaster only 1/3 of the cost of Fury 325.

I saw a recent SS RUMOR that Thunder Road could be getting removed to expand the waterpark. I hope that doesn't happen. I'm not overly crazy about TR, but I would hate to see it torn down to expand a freaking waterpark. Here's the rumor below.

(3/23/15) I'm not quite sure what to think yet, but I'm hearing from others that Carowinds may very well be planning to remove Thunder Road at the end of the 2015 season in order to expand the waterpark for 2016. I'd hate to see the coaster go and I'm hoping the rumor is false, but just in case it isn't... you may want to be sure to get your fill of Thunder Road while you still can.

Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/24/15 6:10:35 PM
What got me to Carowinds for my first ever (and only) visit?
An ACE event (Caroliner Coaster Classic) coinciding with a brand a new coaster (Intimidator). That was mid-September 2010...said event is an annual thing.

Renamed for just this year (RIP, Max Cannon), I am slightly disappointed that the event is (tentatively) scheduled for August 29 this year, but I intend to go. Perhaps when all is said and done, I will come out of it thinking Intimidator is better than Fury 325. I mean, I've been to Canada's Wonderland once...for an event, with a new coaster that year...and I came away from that thinking the "older, smaller" Behemoth was better than Leviathan.

Who knows? Ya gotta ride 'em.

Mike B.
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by drachen drachen Profile at 3/24/15 6:38:40 PM
I don't think too many have ridden it quite yet. Media day is tomorrow (3/25). That's when you'll see social media start to blow up.

In the meantime... the park did release a POV back when they started testing.

I'm not one to head down to parks to ride new rides early in the season. I prefer to let the ride break in, and the weather warm up. I prefer to take in the finished product, with hard and landscaping finished.

Fury 325 has drawn me to Carowinds this year, but it probably won't be until June or July.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.94 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.56 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Facebook: Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 3/24/15 9:57:17 PM
GOCC is planning an event at Carowinds for early August... 1st or second Saturday. I'm hoping it will be Aug 1st, as we will be returning from a Florida vacation that weekend and it would be easy to take 95 instead of I-75.

Our first and only visit to (then) Pcar was I think 2002, and we fell in love with their Top Gun, now Afterburn.... still one of our top three inverts. It would be great to return and see how the place has changed.

Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by MNcoasterfan MNcoasterfan Profile at 3/24/15 10:51:23 PM
I personally think it has the potential to be better than a lot of other recent B&Ms. The drop will be insane near the back of the train. I realize that it isn't too airtime heavy, but that's okay because Carowinds already has a B&M airtime machine (Intimidator). Fury 325 is more about speed and directional changes.
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/25/15 5:37:38 PM
I heard (or rather I read online at another...place) from someone who got a few rides today that there is airtime galore. Sign me up for that event!
Mike B.
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by NotSo NotSo Profile at 3/25/15 8:30:06 PM
Looks like a sweet ride to me! That pov footage, looks like the 1st half is really fast!
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by YellowKing at 3/26/15 2:01:24 PM
Hey guys - I went to Media Day yesterday so here are my impressions of Fury 325.

First off, don't be fooled into thinking this is one big drop and no airtime. There are more airtime moments than you would think, particularly in the back.

The lift hill is really fast, getting you up there in about 30 seconds. It slows down significantly at the top and almost stalls before dropping you down. The speed at the bottom of the hill is impressive as you rocket into the first barrel turn.

You zip through the S-curve and then it's on to the over/under at the front gate. The banking here is a lot of fun and truly does make you feel like the hornet on the logo. While I'm sure that the top speed is just at the bottom of the hill, you don't really feel like this thing is losing speed or momentum as you go.

The drop into the tunnel was my favorite part of the ride. After going over the gate you do this high extremely banked turnaround before dropping almost straight down into the tunnel. There is some serious airtime here and a lot of folks told me it was their favorite element.

Next up is the first airtime hill. There is some slight trim here but it's not too bad and didn't take away from the airtime. They did a great job stretching the airtime out on these hills and I thought the first hill was better (more floaty) than the Intimidator airtime hills.

Next is the double helix where there are some great headchoppers with the support columns, then on to two more small airtime hills that still deliver the goods.

If you're a hardcore airtime nerd who cares about nothing else, you may not find Fury 325 as intense as you would hope, but I felt like it was a great balance between that and speed/banking. It's just a very well-rounded experience that is a lot of fun and encourages multiple rides.

I'm sure it will have its detractors, but I heard more than one person put it in their top 3, and these were guys with big coaster counts.

Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 3/26/15 4:27:54 PM
Wow! Thanks for the great review! It sounds like this is a coaster I will really like. Can't wait!
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/26/15 9:30:40 PM
Thanks for the review YK.
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 3/30/15 3:52:32 PM
Sounds like 325ft tall coaster full of fun!

I have fun on rides that people LOVE to trash like Steel Force or Magnum.

I love B&M hypers, so I'd be sure to a least have a great time on the 300+ club. If I ever get the change to ride either Leviathan or Fury 325, I'd get myself 10 rides minimum!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by GAark at 4/14/15 12:06:04 AM
Hello all, I'm an obvious newby to these forums. I grew up in Ohio until I was a teenager and Cedar Point was the thing to do every short summer. Since I moved to Georgia (outside ATL) 23 yrs ago I have gone back there at least 4-5 times, and I'm up-to-date with their arsenal, save for Gatekeeper - I haven't been back since '09. Anyway, I just couldn't stand all the media/network "buzz" about Fury 325 and I made the 200+ mile/3.5 hr trek to Carowinds last week (the "mini Cedar Point of the South"). I didn't want to ride Fury first that day, but 45mins for an early wait compared to 2+ hrs later that afternoon was mighty appealing, so I jumped on promptly. First off, love that you can practically hi-5 everyone on each train as they hiss past you several times on the way into the park. This spectator experience is almost better than riding other lesser rides, for real - it's fun just to sit there and watch the thing in action. But, being as long of a ride as it is I had to hoof it a ways to actually get in line (aka blow by the casual strollers, which wasn't too bad considering I was by myself - I had a rare weekday off and couldn't scrounge up any bystanders to acompany me, plus the park isn't open again on weekdays until May, so I Lone Rangered it all day). As stated 45mins, not bad for 1.5 hrs after the park opened. Nice views of chain drive motor w/ its diesel companion/helper (I guess to use as a supplement if it's needed, or as a back-up?). Advice, bring earplugs or learn to love having fingers jammed in both ears, a little loud right under lift hill's base! I had to barter for the front row to the point where I thought I might get booted out of the park, until I repeated that I was a single rider about 5 times and another single rider saved the/my day. Repeat, THEY tell you where you are going to sit - being asertive might become necessary! Seats are classic B&M mega/hyper train style plus a stretchy seat belt, which was really so loose I think it was purely decorative. First hill ascent is slow, but then ratchets up a tad about 60% of the way up. The one thing I disliked about Millenium Force's cable lift at CP was how progressively fast you rocket up the mountain, but then again it does add for a little extra velocity going over the cliff. On Fury, both because you ascend at a gentler slope (30-35 degrees maybe? rather than MF's 45 degree incline) and you do it more slowly you can appreciate the views - unless you waste the entire time up talking nervous chit chat with your fellow riders! As stated, the train peters out for just a heartbeat as the nose starts to dip, then the train (at least the front) begins to hang out to dry - no complete view of plunge track as it appears to fold back up under the last car of the train. Then gravity does the snatching, and you fall, and fall, and fall, and fall... (and I grunted, and grunted, and grunted, and grunted during the drop so that I sounded like I had a sinus infection from then on for the next 2 days! So to be clocked at 95mph at bottom-out is saying a lot as you start the fall traveling much slower than on MF. Goggles - might not be a bad idea, barring they'd let you actually wear them onboard. I'm used to tears trickling back to my ears on coasters, but both eyelids began flapping back a little bit at times, think dirt in yours eyes. Horseshoe is awesome, once your cheeks snap back up onto your face. You maintain so much speed through its banking it's hard to believe you're 190' up. The ride is smooth, but does feel slightly slower than MF, probably due to A) sitting so far back up and off the track (B&M mega/hypers obviously have some front bodywork) and B) the train being 4-wide (whereas MF is 2 across and tighter). MF gives you that "look at those track crossmembers blur by right under me" speed perception, and it feels more darty. But this is what sets Fury apart from MF through the rest of its first half of ride duration - it navigates around without losing much speed at all. You just keep on hauling ass for another 3-4 seconds - and, at times, down near the ground which really lets you know it's would hurt bad if you ran into something right then. You really don't begin shaving speed until you head up to the 90deg banked zero-G drop leading down under the pedestrian bridge. Then comes the "squeeze" of that "tunnel" (I liked the LED-lit green "honeycomb" frames adorning tunnel in and out, and the station as well - nice theming touch) and all the people staring at you. After pulling out of the underground, you hit one more elevated overbank and then hit the best floater of the circuit - the one where I think the purposely designed the trim brake placement to enhance the negative Gs just prior to jumping the camelback. They grab the cars pretty hard and in such a way it "prelaunches" you off your seat and then you're already sailing when you actually crest out. Loose seat belt, glad you were there with me. The finale features the helix, which seemed pretty gentle, a surprise near-miss head dinger and then another small set of hills with decent airtime as you pointed back to the brake runs. The end seemed so tame because of what I got acustomed to over the first half of the ride, but in all likelihood I was still probably clipping along at a better-than-average pace. The ride is outstanding, it is definitely a bigger/taller/faster/more force-laden creation than other B&M megas/hypers. I wish I had been able to ride Fury 325 at least one more time the day I was there. Because Carowinds was all-new to me, I instead had to plan my 7 hrs at the park wisely in order experience all of the other "goal rides". Come one, come all, you will be buzzing. A lot of thought went into this custom coaster...
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/14/15 3:52:00 PM
I like how you wrote this, and the contents of your report. I found it informative, as I'm sure it will be for others like me who look forward to riding Fury 325 later this season.

One suggestion, which is common to newbies here: please hit the enter key every once in awhile to make new paragraphs.

Segmenting nice long reports like this is easier on reader's eyes.

Mike B.
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? *NM* by NotSo NotSo Profile at 4/14/15 5:28:57 PM
Nice report!!
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by GAark at 4/14/15 10:14:47 PM
Yeah, sorry - check out what time I finally sent the stack of mortgage paperwork, it was like 12 am-ish. The mind was a wanderin'!!!
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/2/16 7:28:24 PM
I finally got to ride this on 7/25/16 while on a trip to visit family in Charlotte July 23rd-25th. I went on the 24th, and Fury 325 was down, and better believe that I left the park right after hearing that news at the toll gate, and of course no visual train running on Fury. I was glad that it was up on the 25th.

It vastly exceeded my expectations! No knock on B&M, and I'm not on any fanboy propaganda, but Fury 325 (my 240th) is really un-B&M, and more like Intamin with intensity (not just on the airtime hills, but twists) and not exclusively built on super-smooth camelbacks.

The first drop gets no better, simply amazing. The momentum is excellent. On one twist it was so forceful, it kinda gave me a lil chiropractor-style back twist, in a good way LOL. The last three hills have some major ejector air!

Yellow King described Fury very well with the report above. I rode it three times, as the park wasn't that crowded on Monday. One thing that I didn't like was you cant chose where to sit on the train. I sat near the front, back and middle on the three rides. I really wanted to sit all the way in the back for one ride.

That was my third visit to Carowinds, so I've ridden every coaster there before; Although that day I rode Intimidator (which didn't ride airtimey like usual) in the middle, Drop Tower which was nice, and Carolina Skytower for a lil change of pace, and I recorded a lil video. I have it as my #1 steel, it's a very well balanced very thrilling coaster, a must ride!

* This post was modified at 8/2/16 7:30:04 PM *

Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/2/16 9:34:32 PM
^^^ Totally agree!!
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/3/16 5:22:12 PM
Disagree.....Same feel as all the other B&M's.Just a little taller.
Dion
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by NotSo NotSo Profile at 8/3/16 8:16:26 PM
Hey OverBanked, I have to ask have you been on Leviathan? And can you compare?

I have not been on Fury yet, but its in the plans. I have read reviews that say Lev is the better one, just curious your thoughts if you've been on both.
My thoughts are this - I cant wait to ride Fury, I don't care if its better that MF or Lev, I just think these new B&M coasters are freakin sweet.
I guess I'm only bringing this up because after several MF rides yesterday, well after our first ride my son said he liked Lev better! What!!??? Lev is pretty bad A. But then later we got a rare front seat ride and we both agree that MF is better in the front. Then at night we both agreed MF is better in the dark. Lev wins all other times we agreed.
Leviathan is just awesome, really my type of ride. Fury 325 is def in the plans, in fact, parks that get these types of coasters will be way more on the plans then parks that do not. Way more.

And, have to say, MF is plain flying at night. Got 2 rides in about 10pm last night, and all hills had ejector airtime. Running really really fast. Not too long a line I would guess, maybe 45 minutes? we had FastLanePlus so not sure.

* This post was modified at 8/3/16 8:22:00 PM *

Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/4/16 12:03:39 PM
Leviathan is to its younger in-the-same-park B&M Behemoth
as
Fury 325 is to its younger in-the-same-park B&M Intimidator.

Most of us know that.

My rankings:

1. Fury 325 (it IS a different B&M non-looper)
2. Behemoth
3. Leviathan
4. Intimidator

Mike B.
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/4/16 1:43:22 PM
I prefer Fury over Leviathan. Rode Fury last year 32 times in 2 days. My first rides on Leviathan were in 2013 on a cold day and I wasn't impressed at all. We went back to Canada's Wonderland last year in hotter temperatures. Leviathan was running much better, but still not as good as Fury. Leviathan is basically a taller B&M hypercoaster. Fury is a little different from the rest.
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by NotSo NotSo Profile at 8/4/16 3:50:47 PM
That's good to hear! Because we thought Leviathan was on another level of greatness. And if Fury is even better, ahhh yeah!!
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/4/16 3:55:10 PM
NotSo, we are most likely going to Cedar Point on Wednesday, weather permitting. We don't have platinum passes this year, so no early entry for us. What kind of wait times should I expect for ValRavn? I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I know you go to Cedar Point often.
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by NotSo NotSo Profile at 8/4/16 4:04:28 PM
Its very similar to Gatekeeper, in that avoid the line until late evening. Even without early entry I would still go to the MF in the morning, or Maverick. Give Dragster some time to warm up, it rarely opens on time.

Everyone goes to Valravn in the morning, and Gatekeeper. Save those for later would be my best advice.

Tuesday evening almost everything had under a 30 minute wait. Talking like after 8pm, perhaps the heat wore everyone out. We took a 3 hour nap at Breakers from 3-6 so we were refreshed for the night time. Anymore questions ill try to help..

Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/4/16 5:41:15 PM
Thanks I appreciate the advice. Just trying to figure out how to get multiple rides on ValRavn. Looked into Fast Lane, but at $80 a piece for my 3 kids and I, $320 is pretty steep, especially when we were there last year and got to literally stay on coasters. Still hoping for Dollywood to open Lightning Rod, so keeping that money put aside. Lightning Rod is running today, but I'm waiting until it is running on consistent basis before I drive 8 hours.
Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by NotSo NotSo Profile at 8/4/16 7:02:51 PM
frontrow said:

Thanks I appreciate the advice. Just trying to figure out how to get multiple rides on ValRavn. Looked into Fast Lane, but at $80 a piece for my 3 kids and I, $320 is pretty steep, especially when we were there last year and got to literally stay on coasters. Still hoping for Dollywood to open Lightning Rod, so keeping that money put aside. Lightning Rod is running today, but I'm waiting until it is running on consistent basis before I drive 8 hours.

We had FastLanePlus, and for most of the day Valravn's FL line was 30 minutes. I think the normal line was 2 hours. (one thing I noticed, they send A LOT of empty seats on Valravn). But, later after like 8pm I think it was, the FL line was like 5 minutes, not sure what the regular line was. If you have a couple extra bucks, try the plinko game. That's how we got our first ride ever, I won with the first puck I dropped and we skipped a 2hr line back in May. Granted, the pass you win is only for 2 people so you'd have to win twice, keep that in mind..

Re: Fury 325- thoughts? Impressions? Reviews? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/4/16 9:35:24 PM
I actually thought about that Plinko game. If I spend $20 that gives me 8 pucks. Odds are we will win once or twice.