Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > This is how it use to be before PPP

This is how it use to be before PPP

Patripman Patripman Profile

Posted:
9/24/14 at
3:16:26 PM

Just think many years ago there would of been post after post after post about PPP at Knoebels Grove, which by the way starts next weekend but not anymore. The gatherings, the large group of URC'ers who would wait months just for this one weekend.
What has happened?
Here is a an old post from 2002

Ripples

Posted:
9/30/02 at
11:33:38 AM

Yes we are about 5 days away from PPP 2002. Here is a few things to remember and basically a little bit about camp Ripples.

* The campsite is located at site South Carolina 11 or SC 11. When you enter the campground go through the covered bridge stay straight past Twister. Once you pass Twister there will be a pavilion and then a wood pile storage area make the left after the wood pile. That is South Carolina, the site is the first one on your right.
* Parking, yes you can park at CR, it is first come first serve but dont worry I will have plans in place to suit your needs. If you park in the main (Knoebels) lot just follow signs to the campground and then work your way to the campsite using the driving directions. There is a foot bridge behind the large swimming pool. After crossing the bridge go up the hill and turn right at South Carolina and the site is the last one on your left.
* Food, yes there will be food there. If you like to bring something like snacks etc please do so. Drinks I will have coffee, tea, hot cocoa, water and beer. Soda is something you may need to bring. If you like to bring your favorite beverage I will have cooler space available. Breakfast, Saturday morning at 9:00 a.m. I will have anything you want other than pancakes. There will be no Sunday morning breakfast this year, but as in years past we do meet at the campsite that morning to go to the park for Sunday rides so if you like to park there just come on by.
* Camping, if you are camping please email me for more info. I already had a few people asking to camp but I will need for you to confirm this by Thursday. I have plenty of space available.
* Weather, yes this is always a concern of mine. Does it get chilly it can, but nothing a nice campfire cannot cure. If there is ...... in the forecast don't worry I have enough cover to keep everyone comfortable. Also remember to bring clothes that you feel will provide you with the most comfort. If the weather is questionable we have a pavilion at our disposal.
* Restrooms, yes there are plenty of restrooms at the campground, they are also very clean.
* Friday night, yes we do meet at the campsite for drink and talk. I am hoping Rocketmover (John) makes an appearance this year. He can tell some great stories.
* Saturdays events, I don't like to set up times to meet. I know many people like to do their own thing and that is fine, but for the most part we generally hang around as a group and do some ride takeovers. Remember as per the Knoebels website the park does open this year at 10 a.m. both Sat. and Sun.
* Costumes, it is your call. I know not too many dress and I am not sure what I am doing at this time. If you need to change into a costume my tent is open for anyone's use.

* General comments: If you arrive Saturday morning arrive early. The local roads can be a mess with traffic. The main parking lot can fill up early, also remember there is a huge craft show going on and most of the people are there for that.
The bon fire after the park event is a stones throw away from the campsite.

I am asking for you to please email me if you plan on camping at Camp Ripples and if you are attending the Saturday morning breakfast and or to park. I need some numbers! Thanks for your help and if you any additional questions let me know.

Thank you,
Ripples
Patripman

* This post was modified at 9/24/14 3:17:14 PM *

Re: This is how it use to be before PPP by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/24/14 3:54:40 PM
Ahhh yes, "back in the day", in years gone by when Memorial Day weekend kicked off with a barrage of awesome coaster shows on TV and folks had an entire summer mapped out with seemingly endless road trips strung together from one weekend to the next. New parks were popping up all over and existing parks were expanding in an awesome rate, each trying to outdo the other.

IRC and message boards had one big advantage over FB and today's social media: you still had to meet up with people to share experiences. That, and somehow we all got old somewhere along the line.

Re: This is how it use to be before PPP by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/24/14 9:23:36 PM
I remember parking once at Camp Ripples. It sure beat the long walk into the park from the main lot. It might well have been 2002, I would have responded in kind to that offer as above.
Also, I believe that is where I first met Vic, as he parked on the tree roots next to me! I know he and his family will be there this year, along with some other familiar faces from days gone by, including mine.
Mike B.
Re: This is how it use to be before PPP by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 9/24/14 10:13:23 PM
The one year I made PPP was 2001. I know I met a lot of URC'ers that year, but can't remember if I made it by camp Ripples or not. I do remember a big bonfire that night though. Hehe, it's been a while.

It does seem a bit sad that some of the big gatherings that used to be over the years have been lost or seem to have changed quite a bit. I still miss Stark Raven Mad as well. It was never the same after the one incident and they changed it after not having it for a while.

As someone who didn't make it to a lot of the events because of funds and living on the left coast, it was great reading all of the early talk and then the TR's, reports, and discussion afterwards. Made me feel a part of the ones that I wasn't at..

Re: This is how it use to be before PPP by ben_s at 10/2/14 3:17:28 PM
I'll be there.

The local stations are saying the rain will be late friday until sometime late morning or midday saturday. Then cold saturday night. I think that's how ppp ought to be, no more of this warm ppp nonsense we've had some of the last years.

http://www.abc27.com/weather
http://www.local21news.com/weather/
http://www.wgal.com/weather/forecast

-ben

Re: This is how it use to be before PPP by MABrider MABrider Profile at 10/2/14 10:40:19 PM
ben_s said:

I'll be there.

Then cold saturday night. I think that's how ppp ought to be, no more of this warm ppp nonsense we've had some of the last years.

-ben

LOL re "warm nonsense" Ben. Last year was a warm one.

Looks like I'll get to wear my "hat with dangly things" Sat night.*
Along with any combination of hoodie, vest, parka, gloves.
The hot chocolate will be a top seller at Phoenix Junction.
That's how it used to be!

* I won't be the only one!

Mike B.
Re: This is how it use to be before PPP by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 10/5/14 5:43:01 PM
Honestly, If it wasn't for the people at PPP, It would have been a total bust on my one visit. Hour wait for pizza, 40 second flyer rides. I'll take a normal weekday visit any day

I had fun, Never got to experience Camp Ripples but we did share camp Funk/Ripples at a SRM one year which disaster struck. I did get to see Ripples come out though after a SOB ride and a bloody knee.

Honestly, I don't know what PPP was like before the GP were able to take part, But THATS THE PROBLEM, Too many people!

Heck, I haven't even done HWN the last couple years and visited KI twice last year and that's all the parks I've been to.

We used to make whole big weekends out of SRM/HWN with SFKK on Friday day, Go setup camp and chill till about 6 then HWN Friday night and Sat and then head to KI or IB on Sunday, Heck In 08 we did Rumblefest the sunday of HWN that was awesome with barely more than the one full train marathoning Rumbler. Oh about a hundred did the event but I think most were wore out and the other coasters were open as well.

* This post was modified at 10/5/14 5:48:20 PM *

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: This is how it use to be before PPP by NotSo NotSo Profile at 10/5/14 7:51:21 PM
Right on, that's the thing - too many people. I avoid events like the plague. I guess its fun if you want to mingle and make friends. I don't care about that, I just want to ride.
Re: This is how it use to be before PPP by Patripman Patripman Profile at 10/5/14 9:40:26 PM
Our first PPP was in 1995 one year after we discovered there was a park called Knoebels Grove. Dominic was 6 years old and he tried to help me put up the cabin tent that we used, took over an hour, I remember the site like it was yesterday Texas 1 the very first platform site you come to next to the picnic table pavilion. If I recall I made reservations during our summer trip. PPP back then was pretty much attended by Acer's and assortment of coaster enthusiasts. If he still reads this site in 1996 Rocketmover happen to be walking by our site and asked if we was there for the coaster event, that is when he and I along with Dominic took a walk through the campground just talking coasters. It is funny in 2005 I strung up my usual light display with all kinds of pumpkins, ghosts etc. only a few people did this, now people spend days before the event just decorating their sites.
The event really grew around 1997 with more and more people showing up for the ride event (internet interest), yes the arts and craft's people were there but most if not all the people would of been gone by 6:00 pm.
The general public attendance really started around 2002 when people showed up in droves paying for the rides with tickets, subsequent years it just got out of hand. My last PPP was 2011 the last large camp site gathering was 2004.
When we left the park in 2011 I said this is likely my last because it was so crowded and the crowds took away any pleasure of the event. If you dont book a camp site by June you out of luck and pretty much all the cabins have been booked for next year by the end of this week.
It is my understanding that it took people 1/2 hour to get from the light at the park entrance to the parking lot yesterday afternoon 3:30 pm, that is crazy and you know they were there for the ride event and not the arts and crafts show.
For me personally I really enjoyed the events from 1995 up to around 2004 after that we just hung out around the park. I guess all good things must come to an end.

Patripman

Re: This is how it use to be before PPP by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 10/6/14 1:43:40 PM
When we went in 06 or whenever it was, It took us almost a hour to get into the lot and by the time we got to the ticket/day/event sales that was another 45+ minutes Most ride waits during the day were not bad, But PPP was more than even a normal Saturday. We seen you and Dom and several others, And during the day hung out with a group of about ten.

Really since the after the first year of Voyage, HWN has been stay on on everything but the front and backseat of Voyage and the backseat of Raven, You can litterally take 20 lap rides on Legend if you don't sit in the front or back and I have taken several 5-10 lap rides on Voyage the last hour of both erts.

It was always about the camping, The rides were the topper. Didn't camp at PPP though. SRM used to be in early may and froze on a couple of them.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: This is how it use to be before PPP by ben_s at 10/6/14 2:13:43 PM
I think PPP isn't too horribly crowded. Yes, I understand that it is completely different than it once was (I first did PPP in '99), and the infusion of GP makes it somewhat more just like a day at the park. I mean there is definitely not the excitement at Phoenix, no trainfuls of people chanting for, let alone getting, a 2nd ride.

But I thought lines were actually down a bit this year (perhaps because of morning rain?). The line for Phoenix wasn't beyond the gate most of the evening, if even all that far down the ramp (many past years it went well out into the plaza some of the evening), and one could get on pretty quickly. Twister is ghost town during PPP for as long as I can remember now, for better or worse. And running very well now, I'd argue.

I rode flying turns on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, and waited about 45 mins each time. It had some problem at some point during PPP apparently. Flyers had long line during PPP but no wait on Sunday.

Re: This is how it use to be before PPP by Patripman Patripman Profile at 10/6/14 4:58:37 PM
I guess you can call me spoiled and I still feel a little lost not attending PPP. Ben that was great to hear that the lines were manageable through the event. Yes Sunday seems to be more about riding than anything else but the problem I always had was our 5 hour drive home on Sunday. The dates for next years event already has been announced and it will be October 10, 2015. I may just book a small cabin for 3 nights Friday, Saturday and Sunday and drive home early Monday. By the way how cold did it get Saturday night?

Patripman

Re: This is how it use to be before PPP by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/6/14 10:22:18 PM
I had a great time at PPP on Saturday!! Like everything else,make sure to get there early. During the day there was only one ride with a wait and that was the lowest capacity ride ever. You all know what ride that is....lol. It was so much fun at night also.Phoenix was maybe a five minute wait and Twister was a walk on. I did wait 45 minutes to an hour for the haunted Gasoline Alley. I never did that ride so I had to try it. I was very impressed with the work that was put into it! Great horror scenes and live actors scaring the heck out of me!!!

* This post was modified at 10/6/14 10:23:29 PM *

Dion
Re: This is how it use to be before PPP by ben_s at 10/7/14 9:36:54 AM
It was quite cold late Saturday night and into Sunday -- I'd estimate down into the mid 30s in the early morning, based on how cold my water bottle was.
Re: This is how it use to be before PPP by MABrider MABrider Profile at 10/7/14 9:56:26 AM
Patripman said:

Yes Sunday seems to be more about riding than anything else but the problem I always had was our 5 hour drive home on Sunday. The dates for next years event already has been announced and it will be October 10, 2015. I may just book a small cabin for 3 nights Friday, Saturday and Sunday and drive home early Monday. By the way how cold did it get Saturday night?
Patripman

Yep, next year PPP will be on the Columbus Day weekend.* Which is good since returning to Knoebel's on Sunday means driving home Monday and Columbus Day is a work holiday for me...no need to take a vacation day.
This year I had to get home on Sunday; took off Friday and hit SFGAdv that night; Knoebel's was only PPP for me. Loved those shorter Phoenix lines as Ben wrote...and got some of the best air time rides ever (row 10...who knew?). Gotta love those 30 second dispatch times, if even that "long!"

Temps Saturday night were mid to low 40's at worst, low enough to warrant wearing gloves and hats while riding (wind chill factor). But dry as a bone, which is what we always pray for.

Diana and family were there, as usual most years, and she had me say hello to...Jersey Joe! It had been years. I did a double take: he's lost over 160 pounds (or did he say 180?)!
---------------

* For those that may not know, PPP is always the fifth Saturday after Labor Day. That's how you know whether or not it occurs on Columbus Day weekend.

Mike B.