Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Cedar Point shut down today, and tomorrow..

Cedar Point shut down today, and tomorrow..

NotSo NotSo Profile

Posted:
6/7/14 at
9:37:19 PM

Main water break in Sandusky, causing CP and it's hotels to close for today, and most likely Sunday as well.

Wow, that would suck, imagine driving cross country to find the park closed? They should make a movie.. oh wait they did.. Hahaha!

Re: Cedar Point shut down today, and tomorrow.. by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/7/14 10:40:46 PM
OMG - wasn't Coastermania yesterday? Perfect timing!
Re: Cedar Point shut down today, and tomorrow.. by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/7/14 10:55:00 PM
You would think that the park would be prepared for something like this and have a back up system. Think of how much money the will lose because of this. Hopefully in future they will have a back up plan. Water main breaks are not uncommon. They should have anticipated an incident like this.
Re: Cedar Point shut down today, and tomorrow.. by NotSo NotSo Profile at 6/8/14 6:04:10 AM
I think Coastermania was Friday. Yeah they got lucky!

Not a whole lot the park can do about it, it wasn't their fault. They are giving refunds and letting people reschedule hotels with free upgrades (and most likely free fastlanes).

* This post was modified at 6/8/14 6:04:45 AM *

Re: Cedar Point shut down today, and tomorrow.. by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/10/14 9:27:43 AM
The Coasting For Kids charity event, which I've participated in at Dorney the last four years, was scheduled at CP Sunday. The park was indeed closed. According to reports, the event has been rescheduled for 6/22. I Had a blast at Dorney!
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Cedar Point shut down today, and tomorrow.. by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/11/14 2:49:50 PM
frontrow said:

You would think that the park would be prepared for something like this and have a back up system. Think of how much money the will lose because of this.

How often does a water main fail? Not very often.

Trenching a redundant water main would be very costly. I suspect the cost would be far more than the revenue lost during this incident. Also, I suspect that Cedar Fair carries business interruption insurance and if so will file a claim.

I would guess the park probably lost in the neighborhood of $7-to-9 million. I'm making that assumption based on Cedar Point attendance of 80,000 over two days, plus hotel and Soak City. However, not all is lost since many who planned to visit will reschedule.

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: Cedar Point shut down today, and tomorrow.. by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/11/14 7:42:53 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

frontrow said:

You would think that the park would be prepared for something like this and have a back up system. Think of how much money the will lose because of this.

How often does a water main fail? Not very often.

Trenching a redundant water main would be very costly. I suspect the cost would be far more than the revenue lost during this incident. Also, I suspect that Cedar Fair carries business interruption insurance and if so will file a claim.

I would guess the park probably lost in the neighborhood of $7-to-9 million. I'm making that assumption based on Cedar Point attendance of 80,000 over two days, plus hotel and Soak City. However, not all is lost since many who planned to visit will reschedule.

Great point Eric. I never knew that type of insurance policy existed, but that does make sense. Athletes can buy insurance if they get a career ending injury. If they had insurance then that was their back up plan.

Re: Cedar Point shut down today, and tomorrow.. by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/11/14 9:51:51 PM
Business interruption insurance is very important for small businesses and to some extent less so for a large one like Cedar Fair.

They may have insurance, but after I posted what I did above I thought they probably have a high deductible to reduce the premium they pay. Essentially the deductible would be equal to some number of days or volume of business before the policy would begin to pay.

For a company the size of Cedar Fair a two day closure isn't going to have much of an impact on the bottom line and especially when it's early in the season.

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator