Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator

Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator

Posted: 8/26/09 at 11:23:29 AM
Views: 24409

www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/news/stories/20090826_01.shtml

The Intimidator
$23 million
The longest, tallest, fastest coaster in the southeast
232-feet tall
211-ft drop 74°
7 camelbacks
5,316 feet long
3 trains 32 passengers
1600 pph

Press Release

The Intimidator(TM) will debut as the tallest, fastest, and longest coaster in the Southeast

CHARLOTTE, N.C., Aug. 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The skyline of Carowinds will drastically change for what will be a historic and record-breaking 2010 season, as the amusement park announces plans to debut the Intimidator(TM), the Southeast's tallest, fastest and longest rollercoaster, in the Spring of 2010. Topping the list as the largest single capital investment in Carowinds' 37-year history, the Intimidator(TM) is named in honor of NASCAR((R))'s most beloved driver, Dale Earnhardt, "The Intimidator."

This massive attraction will stand 232-feet (23-stories) tall at its highest peak and send guests plunging down a 211-foot first drop at a 74-degree angle, reaching speeds in excess of 75 miles per hour. The second (178-feet) and third (151-feet) hills are also taller than any rollercoaster at Carowinds. With 5,316 feet of track, the Intimidator(TM) will feature high speed twists and turns including seven steep drops -- one for each of his NASCAR(R) championships -- and an intense finish through a diving spiral. The ride experience will last more than three minutes, and replicate the speed and intensity of a fast-paced NASCAR((R)) race.

"The Intimidator(TM) will dominate the skyline and strongly position Carowinds as the thrill capital of the Southeast -- the statistics speak for themselves," said Bart Kinzel, Carowinds' vice president and general manager. "This unprecedented addition represents the sizable commitment of Cedar Fair Entertainment Company toward building and expanding the product offering at Carowinds and solidifying us as a premier regional amusement park."

The trains on the Intimidator(TM) will feature unique, open-air stadium-style seating with a simple T-bar style restraint that extends from the floor between the rider's feet with the bar resting across the rider's lap. These 'side-less' trains take away a feeling of protection for the riders and allows them to experience an unobstructed view of all the thrills and excitement of this record-breaking roller coaster. The trains will also be fashioned to mirror Dale Earnhardt's 1998 RCR No. 3 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

"We're excited to see this new roller coaster celebrate the speed, excitement and the legendary career of Dale Earnhardt," said Jeff Steiner, executive vice president and general manager of Dale Earnhardt, Inc. "There are millions of fans that still honor their racing hero and this is a very engaging and interactive way for them to connect with the spirit and passion of the Intimidator(TM)."

The 10-acre attraction will be located on the midway across from the entrance of Nighthawk and will race over the skyline of the Park from the north main entrance to the south entrance, paralleling the guest parking lot. Featuring a bold red track and grey support structure, the Intimidator's(TM) 232-foot lift will overshadow the Park's skyline, dwarfing its neighboring rollercoaster, Afterburn, at 144-feet.

"The name Intimidator(TM) is significant of the most exciting, aggressive, and skilled driver to ever race on a NASCAR((R)) track, Dale Earnhardt," Kinzel said. "There is no better way to communicate the enormity of this ride than to give it a face that its riders can truly connect with. The Intimidator(TM) will include a heavily-themed midway, complete with a Victory Lane and a video tribute to Dale Earnhardt's racing accomplishments."

Guests will have the opportunity to see this historic ride being built from the ground up as they attend on operating days throughout the Fall. Those who cannot wait until 2010 may take a virtual ride on the Intimidator(TM), access exclusive updates, features, virtual renderings, ride statistics, and more at www.intimidator.carowinds.com.

Construction has already begun on this world-class rollercoaster and will continue throughout the winter months. The Intimidator(TM) is expected to open to the public in the Spring of 2010.

The Intimidator(TM) is designed and manufactured by Bolliger and Mabillard of Monthey, Switzerland, a recognized industry leader in roller coaster development and the same firm that brought Afterburn to Carowinds in 1999 and Vortex in 1992.

Carowinds is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to Carowinds, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six water parks, one indoor water park resort, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, CA under a management contract.

Dale Earnhardt, Dale Earnhardt, Inc. and Richard Childress Racing trademarks, trade dress, names, likenesses and copyrights are used under the authorization of Dale Earnhardt, Inc. and Richard Childress Racing (C) 2009 Dale Earnhardt, Inc.& Richard Childress Racing.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by junebugg junebugg Profile at 8/26/09 11:53:55 AM

Some renderings...

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/26/09 11:54:32 AM

Looks awesome, but WHY OH WHY can't they have some creativity in the naming! Why have two rides in the same chain that are completely different have the same name??? I guess it's not really a new concept, but man, that annoys me.

-Josh

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by junebugg junebugg Profile at 8/26/09 12:02:54 PM

> Looks awesome, but WHY OH WHY can't they have some
> creativity in the naming! Why have two rides in the same
> chain that are completely different have the same name??? I
> guess it's not really a new concept, but man, that annoys
> me.

> -Josh

Yeah I'm not feeling the Nascar theming at all. But you gotta look at the markets KD and Carowinds are both in. They are BIGTIME Nascar cities.

The coaster looks interesting though. The 2nd drop and hammerhead are really twisty and WOW - there are no trim brakes on the POV.

All in all this is a great addition for Carowinds. I look forward to riding it.

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by Katie Katie Profile at 8/26/09 12:05:49 PM

Now that is one sexy looking coaster!!!

*drools*

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/26/09 12:12:34 PM

> WOW - there are no trim
> brakes on the POV.

Prolly cause there's no way it could go over the hills fast? ;) jk jk...at least I hope I am...

> All in all this is a great addition for Carowinds. I look
> forward to riding it.

As do I. Carowinds really needed a new custom coaster! It was starting to look like they could rename it to Hand-Me-Down Park! Lol!

-Josh

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 8/26/09 12:14:34 PM

> Now that is one sexy looking coaster!!!

Sexy? With that L-shape layout it looks a little limp.

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by Katie Katie Profile at 8/26/09 12:42:06 PM

Aw Eric, I think with the video it does it a lot more justice then the renderings of pictures. The coasters takes the curves, turnaround and helix very nicely.

I think it looks great!

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by sparky sparky Profile at 8/26/09 1:02:36 PM

Not only is this a sorely needed signature attraction for a nice (but middle of the pack regional park), but it could very well be *the* coaster of 2010. While I like the out of the box layout on the KD ride, I think it is safe to say that KD will be lucky to get 960 pph capacity on it (that is assuming a dispatch every two minutes with full loads every cycle- not likely on either account).

On the other hand, with a slower lift, and three 32 passenger trains (with far better restraints sans any seatbelts that are very guest-friendly), the Carowinds ride can very easily break into the 1200-1300 pph capacity range even with some stacking. If they can dispatch a train every 90 seconds with full loads, then you've got 1280.

Operational issues aside, I really like the Carowinds layout. Some new "twists" on proven elements like the hammerhead turnaround element and the diving second drop (similar in concept to Nitro's second drop but with more of a twisty profile).

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by sparky sparky Profile at 8/26/09 1:47:31 PM

Regarding the name, as JB said it was most certainly a strategic move to capitalize on the huge impact that Nascar has in these two markets.

Regarding rides with same name but different genre, this pales in comparison to the Ninja/Flashback/Viper sagas of the 1980s/1990s.

Both parks also have Hurlers (albeit identical in design) and Ricochets (same ride genre/manufacturer but different layouts).

I think the only negative to this equation is the removal of the old Powder Keg flume for an attraction that could have easily been built around the formerly popular family friendly water ride.

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 8/26/09 2:33:13 PM

> Aw Eric, I think with the video it does it a lot more
> justice then the renderings of pictures. The coasters takes
> the curves, turnaround and helix very nicely.

> I think it looks great!

Katie, you said sexy and I was making an off-color joke in reference to the L-layout. A certain something forms that layout when... never mind.

As for the roller coaster, I agree it looks great. However, maybe I should just bash it for the hell of it like Intimidator 305.

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by Katie Katie Profile at 8/26/09 2:46:37 PM

LOL gotcha. Sorry Eric, I am out of it today. :-)

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by gad198 gad198 Profile at 8/26/09 2:57:26 PM

I really like the looks of this coaster! This looks like it may have the best first half of any B&M hyper to date. I'm hoping that there will be no trims as per the POV, but I won't hold my breath waiting on that.

Intimidator 305 and this Intimidator are both speed coasters, but one clearly is more about speed (the former) and one more about the airtime (the latter). The animation for Carowinds Intimidator excited more than the KD version, but we'll know for sure how they both ride soon. Can't wait!

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/26/09 2:59:22 PM

> Regarding the name, as JB said it was most certainly a
> strategic move to capitalize on the huge impact that Nascar
> has in these two markets.

> Regarding rides with same name but different genre, this
> pales in comparison to the Ninja/Flashback/Viper sagas of
> the 1980s/1990s.

> Both parks also have Hurlers (albeit identical in design)
> and Ricochets (same ride genre/manufacturer but different
> layouts).

Like I said, nothing new, but it's still just as annoying. They could have stuck with the NASCAR theme, but done something different. There are other racing legends than DE. Or, not honor any one particular person, and found a way to still make it NASCAR specific. Oh well. A name doesn't make or break a ride! :)

-Josh

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 8/26/09 3:24:41 PM

> They could have stuck with the NASCAR theme, but done
> something different. There are other racing legends than
> DE.

They're not licensing the NASCAR brand. They're licensing Dale Earnhardt's brand and nickname "The Intimidator". It would cost more money to license the personalities of multiple drivers and NASCAR in general. Cedar Fair isn't exactly cash rich at the moment.

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 8/26/09 5:47:35 PM

What on earth is wrong with Richard Petty for Pete's sake!?! Call it THE KING.

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/26/09 7:15:39 PM

Im thankful for two things, One that KI, KD and Carowinds didn't get the same ride although two are named the same.

Two that this ride features airtime and no OTSRs The layouts interesting but to be honest looks a lot like MAGNUM sans final segment and Hammerhead turn around. Also Honestly, Whats so big about the Hammerhead. Talk about your NO THRILLS MOMENTS, this ones slightly modified but still.

I guess there is a third reason to be thankful. Its not a hand me down ride to fullfill a agrement made with the states it resides in. Borg and the Boomerang were.

Chuck

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/26/09 7:28:57 PM

> Now that is one sexy looking coaster!!!

> Sexy? With that L-shape layout it looks a little limp.

If you don't get a L shape when your excited. Id call you shorty

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/26/09 7:30:38 PM

I never liked Dale Earnhardt.
Unfair, I know, I never met the man.

I know what he was called, but the word "intimidator" never conjurs up his image in my mind and I did not know either park was "banking" on that when naming the new coasters.

No matter the name, I will like that new Carowinds coaster, I just know it.

Mike B.

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/26/09 7:31:47 PM

> I really like the looks of this coaster! This looks like it
> may have the best first half of any B&M hyper to date. I'm
> hoping that there will be no trims as per the POV, but I
> won't hold my breath waiting on that.

> Intimidator 305 and this Intimidator are both speed
> coasters, but one clearly is more about speed (the former)
> and one more about the airtime (the latter). The animation
> for Carowinds Intimidator excited more than the KD version,
> but we'll know for sure how they both ride soon. Can't
> wait!

Diamondback was said to remain trimless. To be truthful it doesn't have the uphill speed limiters that BEHEMOTH has but it is trimmed on its midcourse. It tested trimless though but by opening it was trimmed. IDK if Rob Lec got trimless rides on Dry Run day or not.

Chuck

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by BigShotRoz BigShotRoz Profile at 8/26/09 8:36:03 PM

> Diamondback was said to remain trimless. To be truthful it
> doesn't have the uphill speed limiters that BEHEMOTH has
> but it is trimmed on its midcourse. It tested trimless
> though but by opening it was trimmed. IDK if Rob Lec got
> trimless rides on Dry Run day or not.

> Chuck

Sorry to report this,but when I was there Aug 9 and 10 there was an uphill trim on one hill shortly before the midcourse. That hill would have been wicked otherwise. :(

Roz

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/27/09 12:56:58 AM

Too bad about the BGE-B&M deal. I would've so loved to ride this at Kings Dominion. Looks like an awesome ride!

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/27/09 2:50:55 AM

IMO The first thing that comes to mind for Carowinds Intimidator is "typical GP B&M hyper".I should just go to SFOG every year because every B&M hyper seem to have a Goliath-like layout anyway. People always correlate tall camelbacks as definitely delivering major air, but what if they do not? Hell, at least I-305 has something a lil' different (positive-G banked turn) than typical "up-down, up down" with no surprises, trees, tunnels, watersplashes, nothing but just praying like hell for floater air, and a decent drop. I'm not overly wild about I-305's layout either to tell you the truth. Someone is rolling over in the grave because of today's uninspired layouts; look at the Montu POV thread! So much for CF coasters having "original" names. Wouldn't it be cool if I-305 would've been named "Silverback" to go with the Congo theming? Just a thought; not totally sure if silverbacks are indigenous to the Congo. Sorry about the wild "LakeCharlesGuy-like" rant. :)

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/27/09 3:04:07 AM

> I never liked Dale Earnhardt.
> Unfair, I know, I never met the man.

Alot of people thought that he was a jerk. I guess that the American way is honoring someone when they have passed, instead of when they was still living. My mother sometimes say "Give me my roses while I still can smell them".

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/27/09 9:52:55 AM

The uphill trim just after the first turnaround and of course the midcourse have been there since its construction AFAIK. I watched testing even before DRD and could at least hear the trims. I believe that first trim is part of the design and is intended to maintain a constant speed to compensate for load variation.

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/27/09 10:00:13 AM

> So much for CF
> coasters having "original" names.

Two totally different coasters in the same region built by different manufacturers but with nearly identical names makes no sense to me, NASCAR or not.

> Wouldn't it be
> cool if I-305 would've been named "Silverback" to
> go with the Congo theming? Just a thought; not totally sure
> if silverbacks are indigenous to the Congo.

A totally cool name nonetheless!

> Sorry about the
> wild "LakeCharlesGuy-like" rant. :)
>

Rant on! I love it!

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/27/09 10:04:33 AM

> On the other hand, with a slower lift, and three 32
> passenger trains (with far better restraints sans any
> seatbelts that are very guest-friendly), the Carowinds ride
> can very easily break into the 1200-1300 pph capacity range
> even with some stacking. If they can dispatch a train every
> 90 seconds with full loads, then you've got 1280.

The stats are very similar to DB which has been very reliable this year. Dispatches have consistently been around one minute and the line is rarely ever longer than 30 minutes. I think Carowind's ride will have a much better opening year than will KD's.

Re: Carowinds 2010 - The Intimidator by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/27/09 2:06:50 PM

> On the other hand, with a slower lift, and three 32
> passenger trains (with far better restraints sans any
> seatbelts that are very guest-friendly), the Carowinds ride
> can very easily break into the 1200-1300 pph capacity range
> even with some stacking. If they can dispatch a train every
> 90 seconds with full loads, then you've got 1280.

> The stats are very similar to DB which has been very
> reliable this year. Dispatches have consistently been
> around one minute and the line is rarely ever longer than
> 30 minutes. I think Carowind's ride will have a much better
> opening year than will KD's.

And I honestly don't ever remember Nitro being down for any length of time and never when I was in the park (and when I had a season pass for several years, it was quite often). B&M hypers do have a great track record for reliability.

Jen

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by junebugg junebugg Profile at 8/27/09 4:26:16 PM

> The uphill trim just after the first turnaround and of
> course the midcourse have been there since its construction
> AFAIK. I watched testing even before DRD and could at least
> hear the trims. I believe that first trim is part of the
> design and is intended to maintain a constant speed to
> compensate for load variation.

That Diamondback trim was in the original POV animation of the ride when it was announced a year ago. The same happened for Behemoth as well. The renderings CF has produced for their new attractions have been accurate so I don't see where they were ever "Said" to remain trimless.

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by alpengeistno3 at 8/28/09 12:49:32 AM

Now, that's my kind of hyper (though, technically, a giga isn't a hyper, but...). Looks like a good mix of Nitro with a little Apollo's Chariot thrown in with the swoop and dive off the block brake. The final helix will be interesting since it looks like Talon 1st helix coming out of the immelmann in reverse. May pack some force depending on what they do with the block brake. 3 train op with lap bars; I'm liking what I see. Will they be the 3 click ones like are said to be on Diamondback? That would suck big time!

2010 is definitely be the year of B&M vs Intamin when both Intimidators get going!

Paul

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/28/09 12:58:44 AM

Well unless they change things in having 3 trains rather than just 2 for I-305, I have to say B&M is going to have the edge in terms of ridership and of course reliability. But I-305 I like as it'll be the first giga I'll ride and I'm looking forward to the speed of it.

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by Coaster14bl Coaster14bl Profile at 8/28/09 1:21:07 AM

I love B&M rides and this one looks great but someday down the road i would like to see a little more creativity with their hypers. Brett

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/28/09 2:03:54 AM

I totally agree. I love B&M's hypers and sure it would be great to have a similar hyper expereince close to home and not have to fly halfway across the country or such, but they're going to need something new [element wise] eventually.

*I'm just saying from a rider's perspective.

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by ROBSCOAST at 8/28/09 4:24:40 PM

I at this time am more excited about I-305, Nothing wrong with this Intimidator.

But as it has been stated all the B&M hypers have the same elements, and the same feel.

Diamondback has a bit better air, and Goliath has that wonderful double spiral down, but if You have one in You're backyard, I see no need to travel for another.
Well the count of course.

I wish B&M would be original, some Low to the ground S-turn in a Beamer would rock, And Diamondback would have been a great one to do that on- have it snake through the woods a bit, but we still have a great airtime machine.

Now I-305 will either rock, or be painful, depends on thoose straps.

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by junebugg junebugg Profile at 11/23/09 1:40:12 AM

Looks like I232 is almost done

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by alpengeistno3 at 11/24/09 12:50:19 AM

> Looks like I232 is almost done

>
>

Am I missing something or is this looking a lot like a parking lot coaster? I suppose the landscaping will come a little further down the line.

Paul

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 11/24/09 9:09:04 AM

> Am I missing something or is this looking a lot like a
> parking lot coaster? I suppose the landscaping will come a
> little further down the line.

> Paul

Well, since it's along the parks' border, it really can't help but look like a parking lot coaster, regardless of how much landscaping they do (unless they tear out more parking lot for trees and such.) Though none of it is actually physically over the parking lot.

-Josh

Re: Carowinds 2010 Roller Coaster - The Intimidator by KHTOExtreme at 11/24/09 5:47:25 PM

Well at least it is not a true parking lot coaster like Scream at SFMM and Medusa at SFDK. Still to this date no work has been done to erase the old parking lines.