Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Overrated Untouchables!

The Overrated Untouchables!

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
5/6/09 at
2:25:03 AM

No, this thread doesn't have anything to do wit' the Mafia. LOL! It's just the opposite of my pretty recent "These coasters catch too much flak" thread; In other words...."I dunno why it seems to be blasphemy to critque this pretty dull coaster!" LOL! Because of the "untouchable status" maybe the coaster is labeled to be a "classic".

Here I go!

Grizzly at KD(I know that many will disagree).

Gemini at CP...Ridden one side; Given from "the side" that I rode, the other will probably just be a credit ride. LOL. It seems like ev'ryone loves Gemini.

Space Mountain 1 and 2 at MK...Then again, WDW has alotta "untouchable & overrated" rides. LOL. High points about SM...Classic fururistic tunnels in the beginning with sirens, and "The intergalactic comsic ceiling" or whatever. Everything else about SM is like a longer version of Dark Knight...Yes, I said it, Dark Knight; It has a very typical wild mouse layout. The one in Cali, and Paris or whatever gotta be better than the FL version; Does the word "makeover" ring a bell; It's not the seventies anymore esp. when you expect something futuristic. Remember WDW patrons, it's NOT just "coaster(s) in a dark box" because you're at MK":)

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by Link Link Profile at 5/6/09 5:16:02 AM

The Beast. To this day I have no idea why people are so passionately in love with this coaster. ??? When I was a kid, my older sisters went to KI and took my younger brother (but not me.....I can't remember why......) I was angry about it because I LOVE roller coasters, and my brother was a big coward/wuss about it at the time. (HE WAS THERE WHEN THEY HAD THE BAT! If I had gone, I would have been able to ride this legend! I fume about that notion to this very day.....) Being the big crybaby he used to be (nowadays he just complains, lol), he said that both the Bat and the Beast scared him.....the Best in particular because of its "claws". *rolls eyes* So he didn't ride either. Bah!

So, fast forward a few years, and I finally get my chance to ride. And, well. It was BORING. The best part is the second tunnel because of the sheer darkness. But talk about your big let downs. People pine on about this ride like it's the Second Coming, but it really isn't all that.

I felt the same sort of letdown with SOB as well. Again, I was caught-up by the hype of the ride the season following its debut. But riding it.....man......sheer boredom! In fact, the layout doesn't even LOOK interesting.

Sorry, though....put me on the list of one of those people who happen to actually enjoy the Gemini.

To each his/her own.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by junebugg junebugg Profile at 5/6/09 5:45:31 AM

> Grizzly at KD(I know that many will disagree).

I use to love Grizzly at KD until I got on some GCI's and made a first trip to HW a few years ago. Now its just an ok ride. The night time rides aren't as god because of all the tree removal in the area.

> The one in
> Cali, and Paris or whatever gotta be better than the FL
> version; Does the word "makeover" ring a bell;

The DL version is far superior to the one in MK!

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 5/6/09 6:57:16 AM

Gemini is a great ride. There is nothing overrated about it. It has lovely smoothness and gives good airtime. If anything, it is UNDERrated. Magnum and Raptor on the other hand. Magnum is way too rough for a hyper. I guess that they put up with this because it is a classic Arrow and should be expected. Raptor is lifted up as a king, but to me is no better than Afterburn, Alpengeist, Dueling Dragons: Fire, Montu, or Talon.

With a second lift and a lot of roughness in an long flat section, the Beast is only high rated because it is a classic. It is at number 10 in my top 10 woodens. It is only there to get others off my back about it. What a great ride in the dark though.

Space Mountain is being completely re-done. It may end up teaching us a class in special effects.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/6/09 8:40:27 AM

I'm with you on Magnum and Raptor, but I'm with Overbank on Gemini.
Some visits to CP I never even ride those twins. Not a bad ride, just not a great one either. Too many long stretches of straight track. DULL.

Raptor is the roughest B&M invert I know of. It's like Kumba upside down. It's fun and I always ride it (if it's running) but I'd rank it like sixth among inverts.

And Magnum, well I know some folks just love it, but I think they rank it so high just because it's a classic, like the Beast. I like the Beast, used to love it before the mag trims. Magnum was the first ride I ever rode at CP, so I should love it for sentimental reasons. But it tends to hurt my thighs. And I know I'm not alone on this one.

Jeff T once described Magnum as _/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_

I do like the twinkle lights in the third tunnel though.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by GCS2000 GCS2000 Profile at 5/6/09 9:10:15 AM

Magnum - I don't care for the ride myself but I think it deserves the hype from a "historical" standpoint.

Gemini - can't go along with this one as I love this ride. Second favorite behind MF. It's just fun for me.

Grizzly - never cared for it myself but I do ride it. Sadly though it has abusively rough in the last several years so much so that it hurts me to ride. Hopefully the rehab they are doing now will help with that some.

Raptor - I have no complaints about it but I do prefer Montu, Volcano, Fire and Ice over it.

I can't really say I have rides I feel that are "not worth the hype" mostly because I have yet to ride a lot of the ones you guys talk about (hoping to change that some this summer).

The only ride I would pick from my ridden list that I didn't think was as good as everyone told me was Kumba. Yes I said it, Kumba. Not sure why everyone thinks it is so great. Was it bad, NO but it was the second coming either. Maybe I had my hopes to high I dunno.

Greg

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/6/09 2:35:33 PM

> Space Mountain 1 and 2 at MK...Then again, WDW has alotta
> "untouchable & overrated" rides. LOL. High
> points about SM...Classic fururistic tunnels in the
> beginning with sirens, and "The intergalactic comsic
> ceiling" or whatever. Everything else about SM is like
> a longer version of Dark Knight...Yes, I said it, Dark
> Knight; It has a very typical wild mouse layout. The one in
> Cali, and Paris or whatever gotta be better than the FL
> version; Does the word "makeover" ring a bell;
> It's not the seventies anymore esp. when you expect
> something futuristic. Remember WDW patrons, it's NOT
> justa "coaster(s) in a dark box" because you're
> at MK":)

LOL, that's just mean :P
Wild Mouse it maybe, but at least Disney does a way better job of theming from the 1970s than SF does in the 2000s :)
I can't wait for SM after the makeover. If they can make it good in 1970s, I can't imagine what it might be like when updated.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/6/09 2:44:31 PM

> Wild Mouse it maybe, but at least Disney does a way better
> job of theming from the 1970s than SF does in the 2000s :)

No denying that.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 5/6/09 3:48:36 PM

This is a great topic, as we are getting tons of well-based yet differing opinions.

As for the coasters previously mentioned, I LOVE Magnum, Gemini, and Raptor. No over-rated there.

Beast is a little over-rated, but I never got to ride it before it was castrated. I can imagine how good it was back in the day.

My most over-rated list:
Raven - Many have expressed opinions on this - too short! leaves too much to desire

Screaming Eagle, SFStl - While a fun coaster, I got little good airtime. Liked the trees whizzing by, but nothing thrilling.

- Pat-O

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 5/6/09 4:29:49 PM

This is a very interesting topic.The overrated ride that comes to mind to me first is Superman-Ultimate Flight at SFGradv.This ride always has such long lines and I think it is just all about the gimmik.I will admit that the pretzel loop is one of the best inversions I have ever experienced but after that it is a really boring ride.This is where B&M takes a back seat to Vekoma as far as flyers.I think the Batwing down at Six Flags America and all the other Vekoma flyers are much better rides.B&M's are a bit too smooth for my taste.

As far as all those other rides listed on here

Beast-Good during the day.BEST NIGHT RIDE EVER!!!

Son Of Beast-Highly Under-rated!!!

Gemini-Fun ride

Raptor-Excellent inverted right up there with the best because of it's intensity especially that last helix!!

Magnum-Let me tell you all a little secret on where to sit.3rd Seat will give you some insane airtime.This coaster is the best Arrow coaster ever built!!

Oh.....and I can't leave out Steel Force at Dorney for being over-rated!!!!!! That coaster is so boring.Mainly because of the Morgain trains on there.It feels like you are just in a car driving down the road on that ride.They need to put some of those great trains that B&M uses on there hyper coasters.

Those are my thoughts.Thanks for reading......Dion

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by Katie Katie Profile at 5/6/09 4:48:46 PM

> Raven - Many have expressed opinions on this - too short!
> leaves too much to desire

I completely agree with you here Patton. When I got on Raven, just when it was getting good, the ride was over. Leaving me wanting so much more. It is my least fave woodie in the park. Which isn't a bad thing at all.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by Coaster3.16 at 5/6/09 4:53:44 PM

Good topic, although I'm not certain why Grizzly is considered untouchable. I always thought I was in the vast minority of people who enjoyed it.

But anyway, I agree with the previously mentioned Raven and Gemini. Although I like both rides, neither left me with the feeling that others seem to get.

I'd also throw Kumba into the mix. Heard great things about it and turned out to be one of those rides I wouldn't mind not riding again.

- Jeff

edit: oops...I'm not the first to throw Kumba into the mix. :)

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by Katie Katie Profile at 5/6/09 5:12:09 PM

Awww Jeff I'm sorry you didn't like Kumba as much!!

When I have ridden it over the years it gets better and better. Although I have heard its getting a shuffle, I am still gonna ride it like it's 1999 when I head to FL over Christmas time!

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/6/09 5:18:36 PM

> When I have ridden it over the years it gets better and better.

Kumba was a GREAT ride... fifteen years ago.
As I ride it over the years it only gets rougher.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/6/09 6:12:47 PM

Over rated?? OK your not gonna like it but its my views.

1 Millenium Force. Three hills, a couple turns and 80mph. LITTLE ELSE. Coasters a quarter of its size feature ten times the action. Its a fine and fast ride but its little brother on the east coast blows it away.

Cyclone. (COney, formerly astroland) OUCH! I really thought this coaster would have a lot more forces in the latteral and airtime dept. Quite possibly its the only survivor of much better and thrilling coasters. Its got history, Right now its history is jackhamer

BOULDERDASH, A little better version of The Beast due to setting but lacked a lot of forces I expected it to have and a straight bunny return hill that I can get on dozens of coasters and most of them have better air.

Phoenix, Quite honestly theres nothing stellar about it. The first half is OK, The middle and end can be thrilling. The ride has something for everyone but IMHO is way over rated in a BEST OF catagory. Maybe because its liked by everyone including me it ranks pretty high.

Beast isn't castrated in the ways you think. Its always been braked some since early season 1979. Its castrated with Highbacks, Super high dividers and ratcheting lapbars. Its running ok for beast standards and the trees have returned to almost limbs reaching the structure. Not in my top ten but a solid ride and worthy ride.

I too think Screaming Eagle at SFSTL is held in a bit too high of standard. however its fast, pretty smooth and wooded and featured some shocking airtime of the turn of the L in the back seat. Also the station stop is a shocker if the other train hasn't dispatched.

To me Raven was the begining of the second golden age and The Beast was the end of the first one. The second golden age is blending with the third golden age with the introduction of the MF trains and Timberliners. Ironically the third golden age isn't must different in some cases ast the first. But I can see these new trains taking a layout like the Crystal Beach Cyclone and not injur you and even make it enjoyable.

Chuck, who's saying one company is comparing drops ect to Rye Aeroplanes but the viciousnees of them coasters was nothing close to what their delivering.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/6/09 6:17:24 PM

> Good topic, although I'm not certain why Grizzly is
> considered untouchable. I always thought I was in the vast
> minority of people who enjoyed it.

> But anyway, I agree with the previously mentioned Raven and
> Gemini. Although I like both rides, neither left me with
> the feeling that others seem to get.

> I'd also throw Kumba into the mix. Heard great things about
> it and turned out to be one of those rides I wouldn't mind
> not riding again.

> - Jeff

> edit: oops...I'm not the first to throw Kumba into the mix.
> :)

> * This Post Has Been Modified *

Maybe I caught Kumba on a good day but to me its the Best Beemer I've ridden and uses the terrain fantastically. Og roll followed by a dive into the valley up into a cobra roll. The loop over the lift was neat too.

Chuck, who liked all the Beemers in FL.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/6/09 6:32:30 PM

> Maybe I caught Kumba on a good day but to me its the Best
> Beemer I've ridden and uses the terrain fantastically. Og
> roll followed by a dive into the valley up into a cobra
> roll. The loop over the lift was neat too.

No doubt Kumba has a great layout. And as I said above it was a great ride up until about a decade ago. It's hard to appreciate the course with those horse collars bashing your temples.

As I understand it, there are sometimes smooth rides on Kumba and maybe you were lucky. It depends on the train and probably also the load. But it seems that when it's running the line is always long and to me not worth waiting an hour for a headache.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/6/09 9:28:50 PM

> Over rated?? OK your not gonna like it but its my views.

> Cyclone. (COney, formerly astroland) OUCH! I really thought
> this coaster would have a lot more forces in the latteral
> and airtime dept. Quite possibly its the only survivor of
> much better and thrilling coasters. Its got history, Right
> now its history is jackhamer

I don't think the Cyclone will be demolished, it's been 'landmarked'. But my main complaint is the whiplash. my neck was very sore the next day.
Plus it is getting too expensive for one ride.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 5/6/09 9:49:41 PM

> Maybe I caught Kumba on a good day but to me its the Best
> Beemer I've ridden and uses the terrain fantastically. Og
> roll followed by a dive into the valley up into a cobra
> roll. The loop over the lift was neat too.

> No doubt Kumba has a great layout. And as I said above it
> was a great ride up until about a decade ago. It's hard to
> appreciate the course with those horse collars bashing your
> temples.

> As I understand it, there are sometimes smooth rides on
> Kumba and maybe you were lucky. It depends on the train and
> probably also the load. But it seems that when it's running
> the line is always long and to me not worth waiting an hour
> for a headache.

As I posted in my TR a couple of weeks ago...

Kumba front row awesome. Smooth as glass great ride that still delivers.

Kumba back row. I'd compare the headbanging to a Vemoka SLC or Premier's Joker's Jinx/Outer Limits with the OTSRs.

Not a nice ride on the back of Kumba. Roughest B&M I've ever been on.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/6/09 9:58:44 PM

Hem interesting, I rode both the front and back of Kumba, but didn't feel the back was that rough. But the front row was just awesome.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by junebugg junebugg Profile at 5/6/09 10:07:08 PM

> Hem interesting, I rode both the front and back of Kumba,
> but didn't feel the back was that rough. But the front row
> was just awesome.

I've ridden Kumba a bunch of times and I have never had a bad ride on it.

I guess I've been lucky....

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 5/6/09 10:25:17 PM

> Good topic, although I'm not certain why Grizzly is
> considered untouchable. I always thought I was in the vast
> minority of people who enjoyed it.

> But anyway, I agree with the previously mentioned Raven and
> Gemini. Although I like both rides, neither left me with
> the feeling that others seem to get.

> I'd also throw Kumba into the mix. Heard great things about
> it and turned out to be one of those rides I wouldn't mind
> not riding again.

> - Jeff

> edit: oops...I'm not the first to throw Kumba into the mix.
> :)

> * This Post Has Been Modified *

Oh.....I almost forgot Grizzly.Once again....good ride during the day and awesome ride at night.I am a big time Grizzly Guy.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 5/6/09 10:28:46 PM

> Over rated?? OK your not gonna like it but its my views.

> 1 Millenium Force. Three hills, a couple turns and 80mph.
> LITTLE ELSE. Coasters a quarter of its size feature ten
> times the action. Its a fine and fast ride but its little
> brother on the east coast blows it away.

> Cyclone. (COney, formerly astroland) OUCH! I really thought
> this coaster would have a lot more forces in the latteral
> and airtime dept. Quite possibly its the only survivor of
> much better and thrilling coasters. Its got history, Right
> now its history is jackhamer

> BOULDERDASH, A little better version of The Beast due to
> setting but lacked a lot of forces I expected it to have
> and a straight bunny return hill that I can get on dozens
> of coasters and most of them have better air.

> Phoenix, Quite honestly theres nothing stellar about it.
> The first half is OK, The middle and end can be thrilling.
> The ride has something for everyone but IMHO is way over
> rated in a BEST OF catagory. Maybe because its liked by
> everyone including me it ranks pretty high.

> Beast isn't castrated in the ways you think. Its always
> been braked some since early season 1979. Its castrated
> with Highbacks, Super high dividers and ratcheting lapbars.
> Its running ok for beast standards and the trees have
> returned to almost limbs reaching the structure. Not in my
> top ten but a solid ride and worthy ride.

> I too think Screaming Eagle at SFSTL is held in a bit too
> high of standard. however its fast, pretty smooth and
> wooded and featured some shocking airtime of the turn of
> the L in the back seat. Also the station stop is a shocker
> if the other train hasn't dispatched.

> To me Raven was the begining of the second golden age and
> The Beast was the end of the first one. The second golden
> age is blending with the third golden age with the
> introduction of the MF trains and Timberliners. Ironically
> the third golden age isn't must different in some cases ast
> the first. But I can see these new trains taking a layout
> like the Crystal Beach Cyclone and not injur you and even
> make it enjoyable.

> Chuck, who's saying one company is comparing drops ect to
> Rye Aeroplanes but the viciousnees of them coasters was
> nothing close to what their delivering.
>

Wow Chuck!...you don't even like Boulder Dash too much? There are some great coasters that you think are over rated.Well that is what is interesting about coaster lovers.We all have different opinions that baffle each other sometimes.I am always amazed how people love Steel Force at Dorney.....lol

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/6/09 11:55:05 PM

> Raptor is lifted up as a king, but to
> me is no better than Afterburn, Alpengeist, Dueling
> Dragons: Fire, Montu, or Talon.

I can see where you're coming from, but no other invert that I've experienced finishes off better than Raptor wit' that wicked lateral helix; That's one element that either you love, or complain about the intensity of it.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 5/7/09 10:58:37 AM

> Space Mountain is being completely re-done. It may end up
> teaching us a class in special effects.

Not exactly true. It's getting the queue area updated and redone, and a few special effects added. But the ride they're putting in is going to be the exact same layout as before, no changes on that. They'll add a soundtrack to it, but it's really not going to be that different than before. Unfortunately it's locked in with the Disney spotlight- they can't make major changes to it without causing a riot.

As for my overrateds, Kumba would be there. Even on days that it runs well it just doesn't blow me away like it does some. It's a good ride, but not the end-all be-all that some make it out to be. Heck I like SheiKra better than it most days. (but something tells me that SheiKra would be on many lists in this category as well).

The Incredible Hulk may be, in my opinion, the most overhyped coaster that is barely worth a ride. I like the start, but it's rough, vibrating ride is NOT fun. In over 2 dozen attempts (yeah, I keep trying, don't know why) I've had exactly 2 smooth rides.

I'd put almost anything at Cedar Point, cause it all seems to get hyped beyond what it is just because it's at Cedar Point. MF is a great ride, but not what some make it out to be. Raptor is fairly far down my list of inverts, and most of the coasters there I'd call mediocre.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by Franchise at 5/7/09 10:36:54 PM

I have to agree with both the Phoenix and Steel Force. To me I always thought that the Phoenix was over-rated. Don't get me wrong I also still think it's a good ride but not top 5 level. I think it gets highly rated because of it's location and the fact that it is a classic. In all honesty I always felt Knoebels as a park gets a little more undeserved credit than it should. It just seems like a campground with rides, and the parks' infrastructure is run down and dingy. However they do know "what" they are and do the best with what they have.

As far as Steel Force, I don't really think it lacks forces like some say it does, but it's a combination of it not having anything "sudden" about it and it being way too smooth. i will give Morgan credit as far as thier train designs tracking very well, but they are just too big. I'm one who always felt that too much smoothness takes away from the intensity of the ride, adn Steel Force, as well as the other Morgan's are just not that intense.

A lot of people are mentioning Kumba and Raptor, especially for roughness. Anyone notice that it seems like all B&M's get somewhat rough as they age? I know this occurs with a lot of coasters , but B&M seems to stand out a little more.

Other overrated coasters IMO:

Apollo's Chariott- I just don't get it. No intensity the main reason, but also weak airtime. I think it gets rated so high because of the park that it's at.

Raven- I like it, but as someone already mentioned, way too short.

Lighning Racer- Fun ride as well, but no airtime or laterals.

Most coasters in Florida

Most coasters in Southern California

The woodies at Kennywood- Classics yes, but that's it.

I'm wondering when someone is going to mention El Toro/Voyage/S:ROS(Bizzaro). Those I don't feel are overrated, but I sure someone will have a good explanation. When this topic comes up almost all of the top rated rides come up. Gotta love having an opinion!

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by cpjewell at 5/8/09 12:40:01 AM

CHANG at six flags KY, am planning a trip down there right now and just remembered that lolz. C'mon!

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/8/09 2:37:07 AM

I hafta agree wit' Apollos Chariot being overrated; I do like that name; It's definitely one of the more better coaster names opposed to 'wacky names' like "Bizarro"; I wonder how many peeps are familar with the Superman villian Bizarro; My guest would be not many, and admitted I wasn't until recently.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 5/8/09 10:52:18 PM

MF is a great ride. It has many hills and awesome speed. I know that there is not great airtime, but if we were lifted or pushed out of our seat when going that fast, the top half of our body may go flying while the bottom half stays on the coaster.
Volcano is WAY overrated. It has great launches, but all the inversions are the same and boring. Its only drop is 80ft and that is right before the breaks are slamned on.
Phantom's Revenge second drop is one of the best on any coaster anywhere but the rest of the ride stinks. Jack Rabbit is one of the most unusual woodens and the best thing that Kennywood has to offer. Exterminator is the best themed inside mouse, but it is also the most painful to ride.
Disaster Transport is nothing. Avalanche at KD is 100 times more fun.
El Toro is fair but that is all. The rough turns and painful head choppers overshadow the drops. Nitro has good airtime without the frustration.
Voyage is the best long coaster with many hills and un-ending airtime. The other two there are overshadowed by its greatness.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by lcarterh lcarterh Profile at 5/9/09 3:53:21 PM

Mantis - I hate Mantis.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by junebugg junebugg Profile at 5/9/09 4:19:04 PM

> Mantis - I hate Mantis.

LOL!
Kinda off-topic to mention this because I never heard of Mantis ever getting that "untouchable" or "overrated" status.

I've heard others call that ride "B&M's biggest mistake ever!" And out of all the ones I've ridden its definitely at the bottom of my list.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by lcarterh lcarterh Profile at 5/9/09 6:56:54 PM

> Mantis - I hate Mantis.

> LOL!
> Kinda off-topic to mention this because I never heard of
> Mantis ever getting that "untouchable" or
> "overrated" status.

> I've heard others call that ride "B&M's biggest
> mistake ever!" And out of all the ones I've ridden its
> definitely at the bottom of my list.

In the past I thought Mantis got a lot of flak but recently I have heard and read a lot of people saying it is in their top 5... ugh.

It has grown on me but I find Maverick a little over rated. After my first ride I was like, is that it?

I liked the Beast at KI but I think SOB better.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 5/10/09 5:43:33 PM

> I have to agree with both the Phoenix and Steel Force. To
> me I always thought that the Phoenix was over-rated. Don't
> get me wrong I also still think it's a good ride but not
> top 5 level. I think it gets highly rated because of it's
> location and the fact that it is a classic. In all honesty
> I always felt Knoebels as a park gets a little more
> undeserved credit than it should. It just seems like a
> campground with rides, and the parks' infrastructure is run
> down and dingy. However they do know "what" they
> are and do the best with what they have.

> As far as Steel Force, I don't really think it lacks forces
> like some say it does, but it's a combination of it not
> having anything "sudden" about it and it being
> way too smooth. i will give Morgan credit as far as thier
> train designs tracking very well, but they are just too
> big. I'm one who always felt that too much smoothness takes
> away from the intensity of the ride, adn Steel Force, as
> well as the other Morgan's are just not that intense.

> A lot of people are mentioning Kumba and Raptor, especially
> for roughness. Anyone notice that it seems like all B&M's
> get somewhat rough as they age? I know this occurs with a
> lot of coasters , but B&M seems to stand out a little more.

> Other overrated coasters IMO:

> Apollo's Chariott- I just don't get it. No intensity the
> main reason, but also weak airtime. I think it gets rated
> so high because of the park that it's at.

> Raven- I like it, but as someone already mentioned, way too
> short.

> Lighning Racer- Fun ride as well, but no airtime or
> laterals.

> Most coasters in Florida

> Most coasters in Southern California

> The woodies at Kennywood- Classics yes, but that's it.

> I'm wondering when someone is going to mention El
> Toro/Voyage/S:ROS(Bizzaro). Those I don't feel are
> overrated, but I sure someone will have a good explanation.
> When this topic comes up almost all of the top rated rides
> come up. Gotta love having an opinion!

> I just got back from BGE and I have my review on Apollo's Chariot.The first time I went on it I thought it was ok but nothing special compared to the other B&M hypers.Now this year I got to ride it like 6 times in all the different areas of the train.The front is great for the speed and view but the back is an airtime machine!!! I could not believe it.I still like Nitro and Behemoth better overall but Apollo's chariot wins the airtime battle.You have to go on at night and in the back and then let me know what you think.You may have a different opinion.....Dion

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/10/09 7:13:07 PM

> I just got back from BGE and I have my review on Apollo's
> Chariot.The first time I went on it I thought it was ok but
> nothing special compared to the other B&M hypers.Now this
> year I got to ride it like 6 times in all the different
> areas of the train.The front is great for the speed and
> view but the back is an airtime machine!!! I could not
> believe it.I still like Nitro and Behemoth better overall
> but Apollo's chariot wins the airtime battle.You have to go
> on at night and in the back and then let me know what you
> think.You may have a different opinion.....Dion
>

We rode AC last night just before the rainstorm. We rode in the back and the airtime is much better than up front, where we rode last time a few years ago. Still not as much airtime as Diamondback, and so far nothing has beaten DB in the back for airtime imho.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 5/10/09 7:55:54 PM

> I just got back from BGE and I have my review on Apollo's
> Chariot.The first time I went on it I thought it was ok but
> nothing special compared to the other B&M hypers.Now this
> year I got to ride it like 6 times in all the different
> areas of the train.The front is great for the speed and
> view but the back is an airtime machine!!! I could not
> believe it.I still like Nitro and Behemoth better overall
> but Apollo's chariot wins the airtime battle.You have to go
> on at night and in the back and then let me know what you
> think.You may have a different opinion.....Dion
> > We rode AC last night just before the rainstorm. We
> rode in the back and the airtime is much better than up
> front, where we rode last time a few years ago. Still not
> as much airtime as Diamondback, and so far nothing has
> beaten DB in the back for airtime imho.

Hey Rob......I will be heading to Kings Island july 4th weekend.I can't wait to ride diamondback! If you are saying that the airtime on Diamonback is better than AC,I am really excited!So far my favorite B&M hyper is Behemoth and the worst one is Raging Bull.I think that Raging Bull is so overrated!!

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by DarienLaker DarienLaker Profile at 5/11/09 12:25:34 PM

I think the Magnum Xl-200 is very rough and uncomfortable. I'd rather ride Gemini. I loved Magnum at first but i've just been on too many other hypers now, and none of them have anywhere near that much jack-hammering.

Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom was also rather "blah", but, like others have said, that's kind of typical for disney. I mean, other than the theming, how is Rockin' Roller Coaster any better than the Flights of Fear?

As for the Dark Knight, I figured this one might be a let-down simply because of how much they were hyping it up. It's a friggin' mouse, and I expected no more than a mouse when riding it. Still, I bet a lot of people who don't know their coasters were let down by these.

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 5/11/09 2:22:35 PM

Just to throw in a comment -

I completely agree with AC being overrated. Heck the 2 B&M hypers I have been on (Bull) are waay over rated in my book.

I love Mantis. Of course, I love stand ups, so I think Mantis is under rated.

- Pat-O

Re: The Overrated Untouchables! by Aventador117 at 10/11/14 9:38:36 PM
Magnum XL-200. If there's a jackhammer king (I think that's when the airtime hurts your thighs) then this takes the cake. It hurts like hell. I got like five seconds of jackhammer on that ride and it was the worst I've ever experienced. It's not just the painful airtime either. Cedar Point shouldn't have hired Arrow Dynamics to build this ride. They should've waited a bit longer until B&M had come along and see if they could make a hyper coaster with a similar layout (name and color scheme can change) and this wouldn't be here.
The Beast. Another legendary coaster like Magnum that everyone seems to love but you don't like. Another thing it has in common with Magnum is that it's rough. When it comes to smoothness on wooden coasters, this is with Gwazi. However, this has the opposite problem as Magnum with the jackhammer. The airtime doesn't hurt your thighs because it doesn't have any airtime and on a wood coaster 4 minutes long even the biggest Beast fanboy couldn't argue with me.
Vortex (Kings Island) This doesn't have much of a problem in terms of head-banging like Corkscrew at Cedar Point, but it has another problem and I'm not the only person that's experienced this: Dizziness. After I got off the beast I saw this ride and thought "Eh, what the heck?" I rather would've gone on the Beast again. After I got off I went right back to the hotel and nearly barfed after I got off. I do not recommend riding this if you go to Kings Island.
Vortex (Canada's Wonderland) Is it just me or does every Cedar Fair coaster named Vortex not that good? If you ask me, if you go to a Cedar Fair park and there's a ride named Vortex, just walk right by it. I'm not saying this is overrated since it doesn't get much hype, but this has to be one of the roughest suspended coasters out there. Iron Dragon at Cedar Point in my book is better because it didn't have that problem to such an extent. It's definitely more intense and goes through Wonder Mountain which is cool, but the head-banging gives it an automatic out in my book.