Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Question about rollercoaster loops

Question about rollercoaster loops

explorer7
Posted: 4/19/07 at 11:45:47 PM
Views: 3266

So I really don't like it when I go on a loop on a rollercoaster and it pushes my head down really hard to my lap. Is there any way I can stop my head from going down? Some people said that I can just push my head against the seat really hard to stop it. Just wanted to know for sure.

thanks.

Re: Question about rollercoaster loops by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/20/07 3:23:15 AM

> So I really don't like it when I go on a loop on a
> rollercoaster and it pushes my head down really hard to my
> lap. Is there any way I can stop my head from going down?
> Some people said that I can just push my head against the
> seat really hard to stop it. Just wanted to know for sure.

I usually press my head back against the headrest during the loops.

Re: Question about rollercoaster loops by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/20/07 7:59:58 AM

> Is there any way I can stop my head from going down?

You would think I would know the answer "just like that" having ridden through many, many loops over the years, but whether or not my head has been forced down or not, after all these years I cannot say it ever crossed my mind. Side to side, yes, but up/down...you got me wondering. Seems to me the head is planted backwards into the seat during loops, like the body is.
Just never focused on my head, I guess.

I know I frequently remind myself to relax, be loose like a ragdoll and enjoy what the coaster has to offer. But my head movements, in particular whether it is forced down...now you have me wondering, and I will see the next time I ride a looper (which will be at Dollywood next weekend).

Oh, as to the infamous Vekoma SLC hang-n-bangs, my focus is keeping my head pasted into a back "corner" without straining neck muscles. But that's a defense against side to side head movement.

To summarize, if my head moving up/down isn't on my mind, then I guess it is not an issue for me.

Anyone else have issues with up/down head movement during loops?

Mike B.

Re: Question about rollercoaster loops by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 4/20/07 9:17:00 AM

I agree with Mike, I've never really had a problem with the up/down movement of my head during a loop. Well I guess I'd say just keep your head back on the seatrest. The only time my head has been pushed down is when I lean forward, so just don't lean forward, sit up straight.

Re: Question about rollercoaster loops by Subadai Subadai Profile at 4/20/07 11:14:17 AM

I make myself look up in the middle of the loop. It is a nice effect to look up and see the ground "above" you.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Question about rollercoaster loops by BRossano23 BRossano23 Profile at 4/20/07 12:27:37 PM

> I make myself look up in the middle of the loop. It is a
> nice effect to look up and the the ground "above"
> you.
>

I do the same thing. I love to look up and to the side when I am upside down. Love the visual!

-Bill

Re: Question about rollercoaster loops by Coasterfreak31182 Coasterfreak31182 Profile at 4/20/07 12:47:49 PM

> thanks.

I actually used to have the same problem when I first started riding, especially with Anaconda @ kings dominion, but now that I have been riding for so long I dont even think about it anymore. I would say to just relax and just lean back and not to strain your neck muscles.

Re: Question about rollercoaster loops by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 4/20/07 6:43:01 PM

Sitting with your hed back during the loops is the way to go. I usually keep my head forward throughout the rest of the ride though. When I rode my first looper (Viper at SFOG which is now Greezed Lightnin at SFKK) I had my head forward which killed. The next time I had the courage to ride a looper, I kept my head back, and have been in love with coasters ever since!

-Josh

Re: Question about rollercoaster loops by cjeagle35 at 4/20/07 8:40:35 PM

> I agree with Mike, I've never really had a problem with the
> up/down movement of my head during a loop. Well I guess I'd
> say just keep your head back on the seatrest. The only time
> my head has been pushed down is when I lean forward, so
> just don't lean forward, sit up straight.
>

I'd only had this problem on one coaster I've ridden. That would be Scorpian at BGA. The feeling on Scorpian came as quite shock. I had my hands up, and going through the loop, they ended up in the seat of the person in front of me, and my head was in my own lap.

I wonder on what ride the poster experianced this feeling on. I've never really felt my head pressed down in any Arrows or B&Ms. My guess is they don't suffer from this problem because of their "oval" loops, while Swartzkopt feature those intense "circular" loops.

Re: Question about rollercoaster loops by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/20/07 8:55:53 PM

> I'd only had this problem on one coaster I've ridden. That
> would be Scorpion at BGA.

Yeah, I was gonna say that Scorpion was about the closest coaster to give me that experience. Call me crazy, but I enjoy the extreme positive-G's in Scorpion's vertical loop. Like CJ mentioned, those old school circular loops can pack some serious G's of the positive variety.

Re: Question about rollercoaster loops by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/20/07 11:21:23 PM

Call me crazy,
>
OK, Chris....You're crazy!

Mike

Re: Question about rollercoaster loops by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/20/07 11:27:09 PM

> thanks.

Your HEAD goes down to your LAP? What are you, a contortionist?

There's so many other jokes I could have used there...But Eric does such a great job not only of managing the site...but keeping it clean...but we get away with some stuff...(see thread on "Son Of Beast Loop Removal" for proof.)

Mike