Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Iceberg at Dorney Park

The Iceberg at Dorney Park

Posted: 11/9/06 at 3:47:51 AM
Views: 6781

Do any of you guys remember the Iceberg at Dorney Park? It was basically a cup and saucer ride in a cold dark cave with loud music and strobe lights? Cedarfair dismantled it when they took over. I thought this was the coolest flat ride ever. (Pardon the pun.) Does any one know of any rides similar to this? Did Cedarfair move it to another park or scrap it all together?

Re: The Iceberg at Dorney Park by sparky sparky Profile at 11/9/06 8:54:41 AM

> Do any of you guys remember the Iceberg at Dorney Park? It
> was basically a cup and saucer ride in a cold dark cave
> with loud music and strobe lights? Cedarfair dismantled it
> when they took over. I thought this was the coolest flat
> ride ever. (Pardon the pun.) Does any one know of any rides
> similar to this? Did Cedarfair move it to another park or
> scrap it all together?

I do remember the Iceberg from my only "old school" Dorney visit in 1988. It was a Philadelphia Toboggan Company 3 disc Cuddle Up, of which none remain in operation. A similar, sized down 2 disc ride coined the Crazy Daisy can still be found at several parks like Knoebels, Seabreeze, Stricker's Grove, and Iowa's Adventureland.

What I'm not sure on is if it was Cedar Fair that removed the ride, or if it was removed prior to the 1992 takeover. The Iceberg was one of several classic lost to fire, "progress", or other reasons along with Bucket of Blood, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and the park's PTC carousel.

-Mark

Re: The Iceberg at Dorney Park by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 11/9/06 7:44:36 PM

Even the Crazy Daisy is becoming rare. If there isn't a patten on it anymore, Maybe some RIDE MANUFACTURER could build it and add it to there lineup.

Fun ride that friends and family can enjoy together, Sadly it gets overlooked way to often by THE BIG COASTER!

Chuck, who took several friends on Knoebels Tea Cups at PPP and they were amazed how fun it can be.

P.S. I miss strickers crazy daisy. it was a blast but wore out.

> scrap it all together?

> I do remember the Iceberg from my only "old
> school" Dorney visit in 1988. It was a Philadelphia
> Toboggan Company 3 disc Cuddle Up, of which none remain in
> operation. A similar, sized down 2 disc ride coined the
> Crazy Daisy can still be found at several parks like
> Knoebels, Seabreeze, Stricker's Grove, and Iowa's
> Adventureland.

> What I'm not sure on is if it was Cedar Fair that removed
> the ride, or if it was removed prior to the 1992 takeover.
> The Iceberg was one of several classic lost to fire,
> "progress", or other reasons along with Bucket of
> Blood, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and the park's
> PTC carousel.

> -Mark

Re: The Iceberg at Dorney Park by sparky sparky Profile at 11/9/06 8:50:31 PM

> Even the Crazy Daisy is becoming rare. If there isn't a
> patten on it anymore, Maybe some RIDE MANUFACTURER could
> build it and add it to there lineup.

Not sure if you know, but Zamperla has done this! They offer a two table version comparable to the Crazy Daisy. It was initially introduced as the "Demolition Derby", and later as traditional teacups. Two custom models were sold to Disney- at Disney's California Adventure's Bugs Land and Tokyo DisneySea's Mermaid Lagoon.

Demolition Derby rides can be found at parks like Morey's Piers and Rye Playland. You can find more info under the family ride products section of www.zamperla.com

-Mark

Be a Pig

Re: The Iceberg at Dorney Park by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 11/9/06 9:57:40 PM

Thanks Mark! i was wondering if something like this hadn't happend yet, You'd drop hints :)

Is the rides price range marketable to most parks? I could see something like this for HW and others in the future, It seems to be if Rye and Moreys got em.

Part of the originals apeal to me is the seating of the cup models, which gives you a sway action as the car turns as it goes. Howevever with the demo type cars, It would be easier getting four adults in one :)

Chuck

> Even the Crazy Daisy is becoming rare. If there isn't a
> patten on it anymore, Maybe some RIDE MANUFACTURER could
> build it and add it to there lineup.

> Not sure if you know, but Zamperla has done this! They
> offer a two table version comparable to the Crazy Daisy. It
> was initially introduced as the "Demolition
> Derby", and later as traditional teacups. Two custom
> models were sold to Disney- at Disney's California
> Adventure's Bugs Land and Tokyo DisneySea's Mermaid Lagoon.

> Demolition Derby rides can be found at parks like Morey's
> Piers and Rye Playland. You can find more info under the
> family ride products section of www.zamperla.com -Mark

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: The Iceberg at Dorney Park by coastermom coastermom Profile at 11/11/06 9:24:26 PM

Ahhh yes! I remember it when it was the "Cuddle Up" and then they put it indoors and called it "Iceberg"! That just brought back some fun memories!

I also remember when "Journey to the Center of the Earth" was connected to the bumper cars, connected to the "Coaster" now named "Thunderhawk" all under one roof!

...did I just date myself!! LOL!!

Re: The Iceberg at Dorney Park by Hardware at 12/12/06 2:36:25 PM

> scrap it all together?

I was probably 6 when I first rode the iceburg. It was pretty cold. I remember plexiglass protecting the DJ/ride attendant and believe it or not, this is the first time in my life I have learned what the Titanic was. It was huge on the wall as if it broke into the iceberg. Cool stuff. I didn't like the newer theme once they changed it (Meteorite?). The bucket O Blood was great though. I must have been 6 years old when I ridden on it. It's a shame it burned down.

Re: The Iceberg at Dorney Park by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/12/06 5:11:08 PM

Is the Cuddle Up similar to the Snow Cup Ride in RCT2? As for the Bucket of Blood, what exactly was it? I have a feeling it was a dark ride, but that's about it.

Tim.

Re: The Iceberg at Dorney Park by rwk74 at 1/10/07 9:26:30 PM

I grew up with Dorney Park. I was born Jan 1974 and I rode all the old rides like the Journey, Iceberg, Bucket O' Blood, Gold Mine, old Carousel. Here is an article on the old Dorney Park dark rides http://www.laffinthedark.com/articles/dorney/dorney1.htm Bob Ott was a former owner of the park between 1967-1984. He's still alive living in Allentown, PA in a retirement home. He authored a Dorney Park history book and signed my book at the park when he and a friend co-author visited the park for book signings. The Bucket O' Blood was a dark ride. One of the carts from it was sold on Ebay last September for $250, it went to a buyer in York, PA where they are trying to put together a pretzel dark ride for Halloween. The seller was from Fleetwood, PA. What I remember about it is that you went through two sets of double doors after turning right at the boarding area and into a golden rotating tunnel with spots all over it then through more doors and into a pirate room and barrels almost fall on you then turning to the right then left then through a hallway with glowing rib bones or something like that on the walls, then some more turns and scenes and out. It burned down Sept. 28, 1983. The following year they put a Musik Express there which is still there in the same spot. The Iceberg/Meteorite was torn down after 1993. Journey was razed after 1992. Cedar Fair bought the park July, 1992. I don't believe anything was saved from the Iceberg, except perhaps the tubs. Cedar Fair is more like tear this down, tear that down and throw it all away. There were no dark rides at DP between 1994-1998 until Halloweekends came along. Even now, there are no dark rides in the summer at DP.

Re: The Iceberg at Dorney Park by rwk74 at 3/7/07 10:43:56 AM

Bob Ott Sr., former owner of Dorney Park until May 1985, passed away a few days ago. The funeral was Tuesday. His wife Sally Plarr Ott just passed away Feb. 14.