Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Schiff Wild Mouse

The Schiff Wild Mouse

Virginiareel
Posted: 12/10/05 at 4:48:22 PM
Views: 3234

This mouse ride was popular in the sixties. It was a very violent ride with 90 degree turns. Does anybody remember this ride? It had a steel frame and bullet nose cars that seated two.

Re: The Schiff Wild Mouse by Inotheshadow at 12/10/05 6:58:41 PM

> This mouse ride was popular in the sixties. It was a very
> violent ride with 90 degree turns. Does anybody remember
> this ride? It had a steel frame and bullet nose cars that
> seated two.

There were many "Wildmice" in the 50's & 60's - many made by Ben Schiff - Herschell - Germans - Conklin. Lot were steel structure - most were wood structure. They were quite violent and quick. There were many fenderbender/rearenders on these rides. The safety system consisted of an operator standing on a platform holding a lever/manifold thing. All the safety brakes were hooked to his lever/maniflod by cables, if he saw an issue he pulled the lever closing all the track safety brakes. The car uplift system usually comprised of a flanged wheel mounted in the center of the car and mounted in a double angle ironed trough. The last one I saw was at Cedar Point called the Scamper but was scrapped around 70'. I saw another at an old amusement park near Wash. DC in the early 60's.

Re: The Schiff Wild Mouse by d_n_s_u at 12/11/05 10:37:40 AM

> seated two.

Hi Leo!

I'm sure I rode one of these beasts at Clarence Pier, Portsmouth UK in the early seventies...Sounds like a Schiff anyway judging by the descriptions.

Today, Blackpool must have one of the most violent mice left on the planet..Talk about 90 degree turns....OW!!..oh and mind your head..

Wild Mouse Blackpool

Re: The Schiff Wild Mouse by Virginiareel at 12/11/05 7:26:37 PM

> seated two.

> Hi Leo!

> I'm sure I rode one of these beasts at Clarence Pier,
> Portsmouth UK in the early seventies...Sounds like a Schiff
> anyway judging by the descriptions.

> Today, Blackpool must have one of the most violent mice
> left on the planet..Talk about 90 degree turns....OW!!..oh
> and mind your head..
>
Hi Gary. Boy I wish I could ride it. I saw the track layout. the old, and the new version. The old version is Schiff. I road it 5 times in a row, I was B&B.OUCH! If it were still in existance , I would ride it again. As far a spiral slides, I have never seen one.

Re: The Schiff Wild Mouse by MABrider MABrider Profile at 12/11/05 8:12:46 PM

> seated two.

I remember them. From the early 60's.
The amusement park at York Beach, ME had one.
Revere Beach, MA had the same model.
Neither lasted too long. Probably due to the violence (people complaining, etc) and/or insurance costs, or both.

The wheel assemblies were offset toward the rear, so the bullet nose of the car hung way out over the slow switchbacks at the top of the ride, giving the illusion of going off. Then it started down its drops, short but steep, with those 90 degree turns you mentioned. I thought the best part was the violence! Some of those 90 degree turns were taken at very fast speeds. For the inexperienced, it was quite a surprise. But after one ride, you knew to brace left, then brace right.

Mike B.

Re: The Schiff Wild Mouse by ericthewanderer at 5/27/15 3:21:56 AM
I believe I had the honor of riding one of these YEARS ago:there was a place in Orlando,Fla called Fun-N-Wheels that had mostly go-cart tracks,but for a short period of time had a Wild Mouse.The coaster was there from about 1980/81 to about 1985 and was surprisingly good for a small compact ride-probably due to the small cars.Anyone else know of this ride or have pictures?
Re: The Schiff Wild Mouse by zacharycoaster2020 zacharycoaster2020 Profile at 3/18/20 9:16:49 PM
ericthewanderer said:

I believe I had the honor of riding one of these YEARS ago:there was a place in Orlando,Fla called Fun-N-Wheels that had mostly go-cart tracks,but for a short period of time had a Wild Mouse.The coaster was there from about 1980/81 to about 1985 and was surprisingly good for a small compact ride-probably due to the small cars.Anyone else know of this ride or have pictures?

Small sized Schiff mouse?: https://rcdb.com/362.htm#p=19878 or large sized Schiff mouse?: https://rcdb.com/1675.htm#p=58633

Re: The Schiff Wild Mouse by ericthewanderer at 3/20/20 8:41:25 PM
I'm pretty sure it was a large one.Most pictures I,ve seen did look similar to the one in Orlando,but with one exception:the Orlando one had a large drawn-out first drop after the series of hair-pin turns;IIRC it went all the way down to the ground(or at least close).I wish I had gotten pictures back then!
Re: The Schiff Wild Mouse by zacharycoaster2020 zacharycoaster2020 Profile at 3/21/20 8:05:59 PM
ericthewanderer said:

I'm pretty sure it was a large one.Most pictures I,ve seen did look similar to the one in Orlando,but with one exception:the Orlando one had a large drawn-out first drop after the series of hair-pin turns;IIRC it went all the way down to the ground(or at least close).I wish I had gotten pictures back then!

I know.

Re: The Schiff Wild Mouse by zacharycoaster2020 zacharycoaster2020 Profile at 3/24/20 8:32:02 PM
Did you know that the one at Brean was last operating Schiff mouse? It owned and operated by David Pickstone, The same guy who rode first roller coaster when he was a child when this ride was originally operated at Littlehampton. He was 26 years old when his Wild Mouse opened at Brean Sands in 1986.