Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What is a hyper coaster? Your definition?

What is a hyper coaster? Your definition?

Posted: 9/2/05 at 10:02:07 AM
Views: 4380

I've seen this come up on a coupel of different threads now. While I know I'm probably opening a can of worms with this, I'm going to go for it anyways.

What is your definition of a hyper? Is it a height of 200? A drop of 200? Inversions or no? A certain layout? What makes one coaster a hyper and not another? And is there an "official" definition (I know the answer there is really no, but would like to see what you think that is)

I've always used a definition that either the height or drop could be over 200, and that's essentially it. Inversions and the rest is pretty much irrelevant. So the original Phantom at Kennywood was a hyper by my definition, as is SheiKra now.

I see some calling SFoG's coaster a junior hyper, and others saying that other coasters I would consider a hyper to not be one. So I'm curious- is there any ways to come up with a consensus on this?

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by MrPKI MrPKI Profile at 9/2/05 10:23:51 AM

I agree with you. The true definition of a hyper to me is to have a height or drop of 200 ft. When someone says the word hyper I do tend to think of a steel coaster with lots of camelback hills, that doesn't change the definition though.

MrPKI

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by Pete_C at 9/2/05 10:40:51 AM

That term was invented when Magnum was created, but since then it is pretty much ONLY used to describe large, non-looping steel coasters. I have never heard anyone say "BGT's new hypercoaster Shiekra" or "That awesome hyper Mr. Freeze". And if there is no specific term for rides like Nitro and Steel Force, what do you propose we call them?

I propose the definition of the term be changed...if that's at all possible. It has evolved. There is no need for a term that only describes coasters over 200 feet, since there are varying types of coasters now that exceed that height. It no longer describes what it was originally intended to describe. By your definition you could say "hypercoaster" and it would tell you basically nothing about the ride besides its height. What is the point? Why even bother saying hypercoaster?? If not hyper, than another term needs to be created for these coasters. Or just use B&M's terminology "Speedcoaster". I have yet to find a forum that doesn't use the word hyper almost exclusively with these types of rides. Yet sticklers always come out of the woodwork to point out their mistake.

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 9/2/05 11:23:24 AM

> That term was invented when Magnum was created, but since
> then it is pretty much ONLY used to describe large,
> non-looping steel coasters. I have never heard anyone say
> "BGT's new hypercoaster Shiekra" or "That
> awesome hyper Mr. Freeze". And if there is no specific
> term for rides like Nitro and Steel Force, what do you
> propose we call them?

Ahh, Freeze is a good point. I don't count shuttles as hypers. As for Nitro and Steel Force, sure there's a term for them- steel out and backs. :) But yes, I've heard several refer to SheiKra as the only hyper in the south.

You bring up a good point- the term was invented by Cedar Point when they built Magnum. What did they use it for? The first coaster over 200 feet. They didn't say without inversions or any of the other stuff, did they? I thought they kept it pretty simple.

> Yet sticklers
> always come out of the woodwork to point out their mistake.

Not trying to be a stickler. I'm just trying to figure out why we seem to have so many different definitions and if we can come to some sort of agreement on them.

So just curious Pete, would you have called the old Phantom a hyper or not?

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by deeturner at 9/2/05 11:53:14 AM

> I've seen this come up on a coupel of different threads
> now. While I know I'm probably opening a can of worms with
> this, I'm going to go for it anyways.

> What is your definition of a hyper? Is it a height of 200?
> A drop of 200? Inversions or no? A certain layout? What
> makes one coaster a hyper and not another? And is there an
> "official" definition (I know the answer there is
> really no, but would like to see what you think that is)

> I've always used a definition that either the height or
> drop could be over 200, and that's essentially it.
> Inversions and the rest is pretty much irrelevant. So the
> original Phantom at Kennywood was a hyper by my definition,
> as is SheiKra now.

> I see some calling SFoG's coaster a junior hyper, and
> others saying that other coasters I would consider a hyper
> to not be one. So I'm curious- is there any ways to come up
> with a consensus on this?
>

----------------------------------------------------------------

Oh man, I just had to chime in on this thread. Lately when I read threads on this forum I see a consistent pattern developing from a lot of your replies, not all of them , but quite a few. You seem to like critiquing most peoples decision to post a new thread or for not using the search engine to find what they are looking for.
There is one post where you even make it a point to tell someone that there post was pretty much useless, because the thread starter was already back from the trip which they were needing info on. I think you want to take Eric's job away as moderater of this wesite with the way you implement your replies.

Well today the tables have turned. If YOU would have used the search engine YOU would have found a plethera of different posts about this subject that have come up time and time again. You even state at the beginning of this thread,

"I've seen this come up on a coupel of different threads now."

Also you even bashed one poster for not being able to, or take the time to spell or punctuate, hmmm......

Here is one amazingly informative and in depth thread about "Hyper" coasters that includes some replies from people that really know the history of the forementioned. There are some more current threads than this one, but I believe this one is the most informative.

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=135558

There are dozens of others lingering in the old search engine to be discovered. Even some about the new coaster you mentioned, Sheikra.

I know I have bumped heads with you in another thread prior to this reply, and I dont hold a personal grudge against you or anything. I enjoy reading your replies when you apply something that isnt just critique. I just wanted to show you how annoying it can be to have someone calling out your every mistake, and quite honestly I thought it would be funny.

DEE

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by -Phenominal- at 9/2/05 3:10:21 PM

i agree with SirWillow i think a hyper is a drop or height over 200 ft

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 9/2/05 5:48:00 PM

Short reply to Dee, would have emailed it to her personally, but she doesn't have her email address on there.

I started a new thread in this case because it was taking minor points from several threads, not just one. Combining those minor points into a new thread not only means you're not looking through 4 different places for the same discussion, but it also means that topic is not taking away from the proper discussion going on in those (e.g. the discussion about Goliath being good, not whether it's a hyper, also related to other coasters besides Goliath)

Additionally, I asked you before in the other one, when you decided to make the personal, off topic, attacks there to send it to me personally via email. I would again ask you to do that instead of sending a coaster related discussion onto a personal tangent. I don't think that's asking to much, but as you pretty much said yourself, you couldn't wait to launch out at me.

So now back to the discussion that is not limited to one coaster or one thread- what's your definition of a hyper? Which ones are and which ones aren't?

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by deeturner at 9/2/05 9:23:45 PM

> Short reply to Dee, would have emailed it to her
> personally, but she doesn't have her email address on
> there.

> I started a new thread in this case because it was taking
> minor points from several threads, not just one. Combining
> those minor points into a new thread not only means you're
> not looking through 4 different places for the same
> discussion, but it also means that topic is not taking away
> from the proper discussion going on in those (e.g. the
> discussion about Goliath being good, not whether it's a
> hyper, also related to other coasters besides Goliath)

> Additionally, I asked you before in the other one, when you
> decided to make the personal, off topic, attacks there to
> send it to me personally via email. I would again ask you
> to do that instead of sending a coaster related discussion
> onto a personal tangent. I don't think that's asking to
> much, but as you pretty much said yourself, you couldn't
> wait to launch out at me.

> So now back to the discussion that is not limited to one
> coaster or one thread- what's your definition of a hyper?
> Which ones are and which ones aren't?

OFF TOPIC REPLY

Dude, you still dont get it! What do you think you are doing to others in this forum. You attack them! What exactly do you call it when you reply to someones post calling them illiterate, or telling them not to post a seperate thread, or that their thread meant absolutely nothing because of timing?? If that isnt off topic and attacking someone then I dont know what is.

Thats the one and only reason I have ever replied to you in this sense. Just take a moment and look at some of your replies lately and think about it. I can post links to the ones that I have run through lately if you want me to.

I didnt just pick you out for some personal vendeta.
I just get irritated when people do this kind of thing, it seems very vendictive to me. So I decided to call you out, and give you a dose of your own medicine, but you dont seem to understand the point I was trying to make.

It was even supposed to be funny in a perspective not taken as an attack. This is the only reason I went "off" topic, but it really wasnt considering I included a link to a thread that was "on" topic.

I dont have my email on here because quite frankly I dont want people sending me unsolicited emails.
And I post this outright because I want people to know why I posted the reply earlier.

ON TOPIC

Now to get back on topic since you called me out on it.
As you might or might not have read in the link I provided
I used to think that "Hyper" meant only that the ride need be 200+ft and a closed circuit. Also I thought that Arrow coined the phrase "Hyper". However the replies to my rant in that particular thread caused me to do more research, and it turns out that NitroChillerNJ was right about who actually coined the phrase.
I spoke to an associate from the public relations dept. at Cedar Point about it. She concurred that it was Allen Ambrosini and it was NOT Arrow, or Cedar Point. It was coined to describe the massive height of the closed circuit coaster. However over the last few years I have changed my thoughts on what I consider a Hyper, and I agree with what most people consider a Hyper coaster.

At least 200+ft in height and/or drop, out and back design, massive air time, no inversions, and really fast. So no, I wouldnt call Sheikra a "Hyper" cause it is already labled a "Dive Machine" and isnt designed with the criteria that most "Hypers" have. I havent ridden Phantom yet so I cant comment on it, I can only look at the stats and make an opinion.
As of the changes I would say yes, it is a "Hyper", but I dont know for sure cause I have no personal experience with the ride.
As to date my favorite "Hyper" is cut between Magnum and AC at BGW, but that might change when Goliath comes into the picture.

I hope you understand what I was trying to do with this reply and lighten up a little bit, jeez....

And by the way, I AM NOT A WOMAN, and I dont know what gave you that insinuation, unless it was a stereotype?

DEE

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by dioncini at 9/3/05 1:47:50 AM

Two good examples of Hypers are Kraken in Sea World, Goliath in Six Flags MM and Millenium Force Cedar Point.

Bunch of others out there like them, but just ride one and you'll get it right away.

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 9/3/05 8:24:36 AM

For me, a hyper coaster has to be at least 200 feet high but the drop doesn't have to equal the height, ala Magnum.

G-Dog

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by deeturner at 9/3/05 11:39:04 AM

> Two good examples of Hypers are Kraken in Sea World,
> Goliath in Six Flags MM and Millenium Force Cedar Point.

> Bunch of others out there like them, but just ride one and
> you'll get it right away.

I would have to disagree with Kraken and Millie being considered Hypers. Kraken is just a traditional sitdown looper in my opinion. Being it does have a pretty good height of 149', it still doesnt quite make the 200+ft for a hyper, and it has looping elements. It kind of reminds me of BGT's Kumba. It is a great coaster, dont get me wrong, but wouldnt consider it a true hyper in the sense.

Millenium Force is a whole other dimension in my opinion. It is like taking the hyper to the next level. Actually it has a label tagged on the side of the cars "Giga" coaster. In perspective putting it above and beyond the hyper classification.
It does have the same layout as a Hyper, being that is is an out and back with some good airtime and no inversions, but I think Intamin was wanting to get away from the "Hyper" label and came up with their own label. However their are no hard and fast rules I guess so its all opinion.

Never been on Goliath SFMM, so I'm not sure which way I would go with it, but just looking at its stats and pics it seems like it would be in my book.

DEE

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by deeturner at 9/3/05 4:09:07 PM

Well one point about Kraken I said traditional sitdown even though its floorless, but I still consider it not in the hyper catagory.

DEE

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 9/4/05 2:55:00 PM

** offtopic- anything Dee writes off topic is pretty much ignored now since they can't get a clue and use personal means to send personal messages instead of making a spectacle of themselves in public. And the confusion over the name is, I think, fairly understandable since I haven't ever run accross a guy that spells their name "Dee", but have met several ladies that do. Sorry on that one. Again, have a personal comment towards me, get a clue and send it via personal means using MY email link. Durr **

I would agree on Kraken for one simple reason- doesn't have the height or drop over 200ft. MF would be a hyper, but it's also a Giga. Just like a square is also a rectangle- it pretty obviously fits the definition of a hyper just about any way you define it, but then also defines a new category.

Also not sure I've ever seen anyone not consider Goliath a hyper and would love to see how someone could justify that one.

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by CP_Fan_in_Texas CP_Fan_in_Texas Profile at 9/5/05 8:24:46 AM

> And the confusion over
> the name is, I think, fairly understandable since I haven't
> ever run accross a guy that spells their name
> "Dee", but have met several ladies that do.

Hmmmm, what about Dee Snyder from Twisted Sister.

Ummmm, maybe thats not such a good example afterall. LOL

-Gary

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by Jersey_Joe Jersey_Joe Profile at 9/5/05 12:51:20 PM

> For me, a hyper coaster has to be at least 200 feet high
> but the drop doesn't have to equal the height, ala Magnum.

> G-Dog

I agree with you on the definition of a hyper. It must be 200 feet -- height and/or drop.

Joe

Jersey Joe's Coaster Pages

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by deeturner at 9/5/05 5:11:48 PM

> And the confusion over
> the name is, I think, fairly understandable since I haven't
> ever run accross a guy that spells their name
> "Dee", but have met several ladies that do.

> Hmmmm, what about Dee Snyder from Twisted Sister.

> Ummmm, maybe thats not such a good example afterall. LOL

> -Gary

LMAO!!! Thats a good one, however I dont quite bare the same resemblance even though I do like Heavy Metal, but thanks for the effort. :)

PUBLIC APOLOGY

I want to say Im sorry for exposing this forum to an unnecessary heat of the moment post I made to SirWillow, who is a long time user and I should have treated with a little more respect.
I shouldn't have lost my patience and blasted someone for something that could of been kept in personal communication methods.
From now on if I am unhappy with what I see then I will keep it off this forum and keep it direct, instead of garbaging up this forum with crap.

My deepest apologies to all who had to read those sorry excuses for a reply.

DEE

Re: What is a hyper coaster? Your definition? by deeturner at 9/5/05 5:22:01 PM

> I would agree on Kraken for one simple reason- doesn't have
> the height or drop over 200ft. MF would be a hyper, but
> it's also a Giga. Just like a square is also a rectangle-
> it pretty obviously fits the definition of a hyper just
> about any way you define it, but then also defines a new
> category.

> Also not sure I've ever seen anyone not consider Goliath a
> hyper and would love to see how someone could justify that
> one.

>

Im not too sure I would agree with this though. I still insist that MF is a mile stone above the Hyper term. Even though it has the same kind of layout, the height has broken the 300ft mark making it in need of another expression of terms, in my opinion.
I think this is why Intamin used the term "Giga" to label this extraordinary accomplishment instead of just letting it be labeled another "Hyper" which kind of associates the whole 200ft record.
Also I believe Intamin uses the term "Mega" to describe their 200ft coasters, I may be wrong on that one though, someone correct me if I am.

DEE<--- still not a woman :)