Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > You know you are a coaster enthusiast if...

You know you are a coaster enthusiast if...

Posted: 5/20/04 at 8:59:14 AM
Views: 3328

Haven't we done this before? Oh well, here goes...
You know you are a coaster enthusiast if...

The term "Beemer" does not make you think of luxury cars.

The phrase, "I rode Maggie and Millie back to back" does not have a sexual conotation.

To you the numbers 1.3, 4.2, 5.1 do not have anything to do with CPU systems.

Hearing someone refer to a coaster as "the red one that does all the loops" really hacks you off.

You know what a "chain dog" is.

When you get carded at a bar, you show them your season pass.

You know the difference between SFRoS:SFDL & SFRoS:SFNE.

You have gone to an amusement park by yourself.

Fanny packs aren't all that bad.

If you've ever thought, "What would sparky do?"

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 5/20/04 9:28:21 AM

When someone mentions Entenmann's(cakes) and you are thinking Intamin.

When someone says' the kids are hyper today' and you wish you were riding a hyper today.

C-Screw.

Schwarzkopf.coaster.net

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by THE_BEASTmaster at 5/20/04 9:37:29 AM

> You have gone to an amusement park by yourself.

That is definitely me right there. I've gone to DP, CP, PKI, SFKK, SFWoA/GL just to name a few.

Bill, who needs to start going with other enthusiasts to parks.

My Site

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by sparky sparky Profile at 5/20/04 9:37:42 AM

You take a shower on Thursday mornings (and ONLY) on Thursday mornings.

-sparky

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 5/20/04 9:58:45 AM

> Bill, who needs to start going with other
> enthusiasts to parks.

If you are ever in Texas let me know.

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by LONNOL at 5/20/04 10:01:56 AM

How mean should I be here...

*When you want to see your parents you only have to climb out of their basement.

*You flog the dolphin when Cedar Point or SFMM commercials come on tv.

*You can't fit on your favorite ride.

*Your Coaster Con ERT is planned for the Midway Market.

*You think white velcro shoes and black socks are a good idea.

*You have yet to understand that amusement parks are a business, not companies that revolve around enthusiasts.

*All you post is "Tera, tera, tera."

*You boycott parks because they don't install coasters fast enough for your liking.

*You threw away your grandmother's antique Christmas ornaments so you could fit the gaudy ones you bought at Dollywood on your tree.

*You own a radar gun and/or PDA for coaster use only.

*Your first museum experience will be the Roller Coaster Museum.

*You look around ignorantly when someone asks "What's that smell?"

*You get a hard-on looking at all the hot chicks during waterpark ERT.

I'm sure there's more.

Adam User Submitted Picture

The Smurfs Rule

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/20/04 10:12:31 AM

> You have gone to an amusement park by yourself.

> That is definitely me right there. I've gone to
> DP, CP, PKI, SFKK, SFWoA/GL just to name a few.

> Bill, who needs to start going with other
> enthusiasts to parks.

Bill, DId you happen to get any video of Lesourdsville?

Chuck, who knows Scott Fowler is looking for some over at Americanaamusementpark.com

Keep respect in the enthusiast communtiy, Click here and Boycott ARnR

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by Coaster3.16 at 5/20/04 10:51:44 AM

1. If you snicker at coaster tools taking pictures of a coaster from every possible angle, then turn around and keep track of dispatch intervals so that you can calculate the ride's capacity.

2. If you see a collapsed carnival ride on the back of a truck on the interstate and you can tell what ride it is, who built it, who owns it, and what fair it is going to next.

3. If you want to save $40 on a Six Flags season pass by buying it at SFWOA instead of your local Six Flags, but your local park opens first and you want to go there before you go to SFWOA, so you drive 7 hours to SFWOA on a pre-opening processing day, spend $70 on a hotel for that night, then drive 7 hours back to your home so that you can go to your home park the next weekend.

- Jeff

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by THE_BEASTmaster at 5/20/04 10:52:42 AM

> Bill, DId you happen to get any video of
> Lesourdsville?

> Chuck, who knows Scott Fowler is looking for some
> over at Americanaamusementpark.com

No I didn't, Chuck. I didnot have a video camera with me at the time LaSourdsville was open.

Bill, who now wishes he had it when it was open.

My Site

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by ray_p ray_p Profile at 5/20/04 11:20:19 AM

> 1. If you snicker at coaster tools taking
> pictures of a coaster from every possible angle,
> then turn around and keep track of dispatch
> intervals so that you can calculate the ride's
> capacity.

Quote from our GL visit: Ray- "We're not that bad are we, Jeff?" Jeff- "Yes, we are." If I'm not mistaken, we were discussing how good the dispatch time was on Dominator that day!

> 2. If you see a collapsed carnival ride on the
> back of a truck on the interstate and you can
> tell what ride it is, who built it, who owns it,
> and what fair it is going to next.

I'm getting to that point- mostly thanks to Adam!

> 3. If you want to save $40 on a Six Flags season
> pass by buying it at SFWOA instead of your local
> Six Flags, but your local park opens first and
> you want to go there before you go to SFWOA, so
> you drive 7 hours to SFWOA on a pre-opening
> processing day, spend $70 on a hotel for that
> night, then drive 7 hours back to your home so
> that you can go to your home park the next
> weekend.

Now that is just plain sad! ;-)

ray p. (who admits to being a coaster tool when all is said and done)

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by LONNOL at 5/20/04 11:34:31 AM

> I'm getting to that point- mostly thanks to Adam!

Good to hear. I have always said you can know a lot without being socially inept...or in my case turn your knowledge into something that pays the bills.

Adam

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 5/20/04 12:07:42 PM

You are an EVIL young man! But I like that about you. LOL! User Submitted Picture

PCW Junkies - Ultimate PCW Guide

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by Coaster3.16 at 5/20/04 12:37:46 PM

> 2. If you see a collapsed carnival ride on the
> back of a truck on the interstate and you can
> tell what ride it is, who built it, who owns it,
> and what fair it is going to next.

> I'm getting to that point- mostly thanks to Adam!

In Adam's case, he would know who was driving the truck!

- Jeff

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by freakylick at 5/20/04 3:57:45 PM

You take pictures of a coaster during it’s construction.
You are at a park 2 hours before it opens, just to ride their newest coaster.
If someone says “Hershey’s” and your first thought isn’t chocolate.
If you travel to warmer climates in the winter just to go to a park.
All your vacations involve amusement parks.
If you watch trucks driving down the highway just to see if there happens to be coaster track on board.
If you pretend you’re on a roller coaster while driving down the highway.

Sean

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by MattD at 5/20/04 7:51:42 PM

I was going to post a Top 10, but since Adam took 1/2 of mine, here's my Top 5:

5) You argue all day at Dollywood about where Thunderhead will appear in your rankings, and then post the entire episode verbatim on RRC as soon as you get home.

4) You not only send hate mail to theme parks and the maker of that Volare ride, but you call people that sell advertisements for magazines related to the theme park industry and demand they tell you what is getting next.

3) You have no taste in music, yet you consider yourself hip because you downloaded "that song on the Six Flags commercial", instantly praising it as the best underground house anthem of all time.

2) No lapbar, No seatbelt, No problem!

and the number one reason....

1) Supersize? You call THAT supersize?!?!?!?!?

-Matt

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by chillforce chillforce Profile at 5/20/04 11:20:39 PM

> In Adam's case, he would know who was driving the
> truck!

> - Jeff
>
That was cold, Jeff, very cold. Yet, most probably true, but cold. Watch out, Adam is going to get you back but good. Gotta love our good humor boys.

Ed

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by LONNOL at 5/20/04 11:22:10 PM

> In Adam's case, he would know who was driving the
> truck!

True. You know what they say, "Ass, grass or gas- nobody rides for free."

Just call me the lot lizard,
Adam User Submitted Picture

The Smurfs Rule

Until I seen it in writing, I was in denial! by Big_Steve at 5/20/04 11:39:23 PM

Wow, I had no idea how bad my condition really was! Thanks to all the posters who have so easily confirmed what an severe illness I (and most of you) have. Not one of these comments was even remotely foreign to me.

Oh well, what can you do? As I sit and type, I'm counting down hours to Timbersfest and some ERT this weekend at SFGAm.
Steve

Re: Until I seen it in writing, I was in denial! by cellocoasterdude cellocoasterdude Profile at 5/21/04 2:26:18 AM

More I thought of:

1. Every time a state of the country is brought up in conversation, or heard of on tv, you think about how many coasters/parks are there.

2. Job interviews are given more serious weight by whether or not they are in an area of the country that has good coasters, and business trips always include visits to at least one park.

3. You have been married for less than a month and you and your wife have already been to four parks together.

4. Instead of calculating costs for mundane things such as food and rent, you always consider how often you can get to a park when making a budget.

5. You know more about Rev and Al than you do about your own family.

CAN YOU HANDLE THE TRUTH?

-Tim

Re: Until I seen it in writing, I was in denial! by freakylick at 5/21/04 1:03:45 PM

> 3. You have been married for less than a month
> and you and your wife have already been to four
> parks together.

Whew...That was close...We only hit 3 parks in the first month..LOL

> 4. Instead of calculating costs for mundane
> things such as food and rent, you always consider
> how often you can get to a park when making a
> budget.

Actually, I consider food and parks as one budget. The more parks I hit, the less I can eat.

> 5. You know more about Rev and Al than you do
> about your own family.

Does it count if your family has disowned you??

Sean

...if you're willing to ride naked to get into Guinness? lol, n/m by rollergator at 5/21/04 4:05:00 PM

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by wackozacko at 5/21/04 4:37:38 PM

Alright here are two cents...

You think pleated jeans shorts are cool.

You think the girl in the cue with you is impressed with your detailed knowledge of the Scharzkopft box beam loop.

You were informed that funnel cakes and dippin dots are not acceptable wedding reception fare.

Your non-enthuaist friends refuse to the park with you anymore because your nonstop coaster blabbering "too annoying."

You never throw away your expired season passes.

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 5/21/04 6:57:14 PM

> Haven't we done this before? Oh well, here
> goes...
> You know you are a coaster enthusiast if...

There's an imaginary umbilical cord from you to URC (or other coaster websites---*gasp!*)....

MommaBeast

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by Streaker Streaker Profile at 5/21/04 7:42:56 PM

...you live in California and visit St. Louis (only to go to Six Flags) and never see the arch.

...you live in California and take a business trip to Masschussettes in the winter and drool over seing SROS up close with the park being closed for the winter so you take photos of it from the street since you can't ride it.

...you see a local Six flags commercial on tv and watch it closely enough to notice the coasters in the commercial are not even in the same state where you live.

...you have stopped a coster from dispatching because the ride operator tells you that you cannot cary your video camera on the coaster.

...you keep a track record of how many coasters you have ridden.

...you debate whether you can count a racing coaster twice on your coaster count because it has two separate tracks.

...your favorite episode of the Brady Bunch is the one where they took their big family vacation to an amusment park (I think it was Kings Island, huh???).

...being the yougest in your family you got mad at your older siblings because you were not tall enough to ride the big coasters with them and all you could do was watch from outside the station.

...you plan your vacations based on the opening dates of the newest coaster in the country.

...it takes all the self control you have not to correct the yougsters in line when you overhear them trying to impress their friends with coaster stats that are wrong.

...your first ride on the Beast is when you are 37 and you exit the ride saying "it didn't live it to the hype"

-Streaker-

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by WildOne at 5/21/04 11:58:38 PM

> ...you live in California and visit St. Louis
> (only to go to Six Flags) and never see the arch.

> -Streaker-

Oh man. I'm glad I live in Washington or I would be a coaster enthusiasts. We did see the arch from the freeway on the drive from SFStL to Holiday World. Does that still count?

Aaron

JOIN THE BOYCOTT

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by AL_W_ at 5/22/04 12:06:51 AM

> -Streaker-

> Oh man. I'm glad I live in Washington or I would
> be a coaster enthusiasts. We did see the arch
> from the freeway on the drive from SFStL to
> Holiday World. Does that still count?

> Aaron

Aaron - That makes you a "HALF enthusiASSt" LOL

Al

Aaron's new home page

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by RCTfan at 5/22/04 1:37:45 AM

When you plan to go somewhere, such as the beach, you visit RCDB to find the closest Amusement Park with a coaster to add to your Track Record. Then quicky find how to get to it on Mapquest. (Guilty!)

Friends ask what your favorite roller coaster is, and you name some coaster in a far away state they have never heard of and get strange looks. (Guilty!)

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by chillforce chillforce Profile at 5/25/04 2:28:56 AM

> How mean should I be here...

Is there a limit? :)

Ed

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 5/25/04 11:57:28 AM

When you go to a small carnival and are the only one on a dragon coaster(with helix or without) and are having the most fun. Ahh, Friday was soo much fun.

C-Screw.

Schwarzkopf.coaster.net

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by freakylick at 5/25/04 1:20:59 PM

You know you're a coaster enthusiast if you can relate to the boy in the link below...

Coaster Enthusiast?!?!

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by Coaster911 at 5/25/04 7:54:24 PM

In the mayors race for your town the only issue that matters to you is not schools or taxes but which candidate promises to bring your city a theme park.

You live nowhere near Indiana but you know exactly where Santa Claus is, and not only that, you know the exact driving distance from your driveway there.

You can no longer fit into MF.

Kelly

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by BeastFANatic BeastFANatic Profile at 5/25/04 11:47:08 PM

If you are celebrating your 1st wedding anniversary at Cedar Point.

BeastFANatic

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by cellocoasterdude cellocoasterdude Profile at 5/26/04 12:51:32 PM

> If you are celebrating your 1st wedding
> anniversary at Cedar Point.

Great idea! My wife and I are going to be apart :( for our one month anniversary, but we could get a trip in for the rest of the months. Boy, it's hopeless.

-Tim

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by TeknoScorpion at 5/26/04 1:26:50 PM

Another Beemer one: When you hear Beemer, you automatically think of only the B and the M in BMW...

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 5/26/04 2:01:55 PM

I feel like a tool for asking, but what's the other Beemer?

C-Screw.

Schwarzkopf.coaster.net

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 5/26/04 2:04:22 PM

This one came to me from my idiot friend on the ssculators on the way up to see Shrek 2. You know when you're an enthusiast when you do the chain lift sound in your own head.

You know when you're an enthusiast when you here the names Maggie, and it brings a smile to your face thinking about 1.3.

C-Screw.

Schwarzkopf.coaster.net

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by CP_Fan_in_Texas CP_Fan_in_Texas Profile at 5/26/04 7:45:45 PM

You work in the computer industry, and MF doesn't mean Main Frame........

You work in the HVAC field, and AC doesn't mean Air Conditioning........

My Coaster Photos

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by TeknoScorpion at 5/26/04 10:29:15 PM

> .....When you complain because your driveway has no airtime on the hills,and is Arrow/Vekoma rough instead of B&M/Intamin smooth.

and the other beemers are the first, its a nick name for BMW cars, hence my previous post:)

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by THE_BEASTmaster at 5/27/04 1:34:30 AM

> Haven't we done this before? Oh well, here
> goes...
> You know you are a coaster enthusiast if...

You raise your hands up on the escelator at the malls, but find out there is no drop.

Bill

My Website

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by Lorelei1977 at 5/28/04 4:37:38 AM

...when you deliberately take the long way to work so you can speed over the little hill that gives you that "airtime lurch" in your belly. All the while praying for a decided lack of cops hiding with their radar guns because you have to do like 60 in a 45 to crest that hill just right...

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 5/28/04 10:37:54 AM

Lorelei, you've resuurected an old memory, sort of related to that. When i was in the eighth grade, we used to go to shop at another school, well on the way back, we'd hit then intersection of Tecumseh and jefferson(Windsor) and if the light was green, our driver would gun it over the hump, and I tell you what, you'd be literally be standing up going over it.

Now if you all will excuse me, i know of a bus route where i can get this kind of airtime, so later.

C-Screw.

Schwarzkopf.coaster.net

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by WildOne at 5/28/04 12:59:34 PM

When I was in high school, we'd go to track meets, basketball games, etc at Stanwood High School. To get to Stanwood, you drove down a highway that had about 8 of these "speed bumps" within a couple of miles. If you got the right bus driver they would fly over them and you could get some serious airtime. (Probably the best in the state of Washington.)

Aaron, "No Longer Angry"

YOU MAY NOW VISIT THIS SITE

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by coastermom coastermom Profile at 5/28/04 6:56:09 PM

When you go on a downgrade in your car and you hold your arms up in the air!

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by cellocoasterdude cellocoasterdude Profile at 5/29/04 3:14:14 AM

Every time you smell oil, you imagine yourself on the lift hill of a woodie.

-Tim

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by DAFE_Rick DAFE_Rick Profile at 5/29/04 6:53:07 AM

Your office at work has amusement park related items on a wall.

People at work ask you what you know/think about a specific park or ride.

People at work have to look you up to tell you about the park they just came back from.

People at work make the long trip to Knoebels on your suggestion and come back to tell you they loved it.

People in your REGIONAL office know what you hobby is.

All three local papers know what your hobby is!

EVERY room in your house has something amusement park related hanging on the walls.

You have a Dodgem car in your living room.

You have a carousel horse in the dining room.

Your garage and back yard are starting to resemble a amusement park boneyard while your new car is sitting out in the weather.

You look at a junior coaster and think, that would fit in my back yard.

You wonder if a privately owned flat ride would have to be inspected.

You kick yourself for not buying a complete whip ride at the auction for $250, despite the fact you had no way to get it home.

How to know if your WIFE is an amusement park nut-

SHE is the reason the Dodgem car and carousel horse is in the house and the reason there are two Ferris wheel seats in the basement waiting to become porch swings!

Daffy Klub- The official web site of the Darkride and Funhouse Enthusiasts

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 5/29/04 10:51:36 AM

Rick that last one was too funny.

Tim.

Schwarzkopf.coaster.net

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by freakylick at 6/1/04 12:53:53 PM

the reason there are
> two Ferris wheel seats in the basement waiting to
> become porch swings!

If you think this is a great idea and are upset that you didn't think of it yourself...LOL

Sean

Coaster Enthusiast?!?!

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by Jersey_Joe Jersey_Joe Profile at 6/6/04 8:29:44 AM

> -Streaker-

> Oh man. I'm glad I live in Washington or I would
> be a coaster enthusiasts. We did see the arch
> from the freeway on the drive from SFStL to
> Holiday World. Does that still count?

> Aaron

> Aaron - That makes you a "HALF
> enthusiASSt" LOL

> Al

Hold on there, Al. Let's not get an enthusiast confused with the true EnthusiA$$! There is a difference. I used to be a proud enthusiA$$, but I discovered other facets of life and now I'm just a plain park-goer. That puts me down to the D-List again.

There was a time when I'd drool when I heard that my homepark is getting a new coaster and spend hours going over every website in existance and IM'ing 20-30 "insiders" to find out what we're getting. Now I spend about 5-10 mins and if I don't find anything I wait until the "news" hits Screamscape. lol

I guess I am still an enthusiast though. I never plan a summer vacation if an amusement/theme park isn't nearby.

Joe

Jersey Joe's Coaster Pages

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by JacobTheCoasterhead at 9/18/16 7:02:07 PM
When talking about a "right wing enthusiast" or a "left wing enthusiast", you are not talking about politics, but someone who feels strongly about the best seat on Gatekeeper.

I'll think of more later.
- Jacob the Coasterhead
Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by Kingcobra89 Kingcobra89 Profile at 9/18/16 8:15:25 PM
You listen to songs called 'Roller Coaster'.
Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 9/19/16 2:49:08 PM
Now THIS is a great tread to resurrect from the past! Looking forward to seeing what new stuff people come up with.
Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by Speedster Speedster Profile at 9/23/16 12:16:45 AM
You ride a kiddie coaster just to boost your coaster count.

You frequently have dreams - or nightmares - about riding roller coasters.

You see a 30-story building and think, "Millennium Force is that tall."

You're scared of heights in every other place except a roller coaster.

* This post was modified at 9/23/16 12:27:37 AM *

Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/28/16 2:27:14 PM
Speedster said:

You're scared of heights in every other place except a roller coaster.

I can relate to this one.
No bout adoubt it!

Mike B.
Re: You know you are a coaster enthusiast if... by JacobTheCoasterhead JacobTheCoasterhead Profile at 10/21/16 5:10:41 PM
-You got invited to an amusement park for a birthday party, and you're more excited about it than the birthday boy or girl.

-You'll go to an amusement park even with a cold or flu.

Still more on the way.
-JacobTheCoasterhead