Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN!

INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN!

Posted: 4/15/04 at 6:17:53 PM
Views: 2893

Girl dies in 100ft roller coaster fall

A 16-year-old girl from South Wales has died after falling 100ft from the top of a rollercoaster at a west Wales theme park.

------------

This ride is similar to KBF's Perilous Plunge which had a similar death a few years ago of when a woman was ejected.

Click the link below for the BBC article:

Hydro accident BBC Newslink

Re: INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN! by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 4/15/04 6:50:58 PM

Terrible news...I'm amazed that Intamin is still able to sell their rides given their safety history the past few years...

Just off the top of my head:

- man ejected from Superman at Darien

- woman ejected from Perilous Plunge, killed

- station brake failure at SFNE, train crash, no deaths thankfully

- and now this?

and actually, you can even extend further back to the accident at Mariott's Great America when the Edge (Intamin 1st Gen Drop tower) had the car roll back and fall down the shaft. Again, thankfully no serious injureis even, but Intamin has had more than it's fair share of issues over the years and I think they really need to get their safety record in order...

Michael W.

Dippin' Dots: The Only "Ice Cream" with the URC Seal of Approval!

Re: INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 4/15/04 8:56:38 PM

The handicaped kid who fell from the intamin drop tower at PGA?

Chuck, who is waiting to see if they say Overweight is the reason one more time. To me that is a B.S. Statement. Its either restraint failure or she actually did something wrong or something wasn't checked.

Re: INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN! by junebugg junebugg Profile at 4/15/04 9:20:58 PM

> The handicaped kid who fell from the intamin drop
> tower at PGA?

> Chuck, who is waiting to see if they say
> Overweight is the reason one more time. To me
> that is a B.S. Statement. Its either restraint
> failure or she actually did something wrong or
> something wasn't checked.
>

This accident sounds a little suspicious to me. A 17-year old girl AND a 9-year old boy were both ejected on the same ride at the same time. Just speculation here but it seems like horse play could have been involved.

correction by junebugg junebugg Profile at 4/15/04 9:28:39 PM

> The handicaped kid who fell from the intamin drop
> tower at PGA?

> Chuck, who is waiting to see if they say
> Overweight is the reason one more time. To me
> that is a B.S. Statement. Its either restraint
> failure or she actually did something wrong or
> something wasn't checked.
>

> This accident sounds a little suspicious to me. A
> 17-year old girl AND a 9-year old boy were both
> ejected on the same ride at the same time. Just
> speculation here but it seems like horse play
> could have been involved.

The boy wasn't ejected but it wasn't clear how he was hurt. Still this unfortunate incident involved two young people.

What I want to know is why this ride wasn't modified like Perilous Plunge with the addition of shoulder belts! And I heard this ride is even steeper than Perilous Plunge (80 degrees as opposed to 75 for PP).

Re: correction by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 4/16/04 12:51:12 AM

> What I want to know is why this ride wasn't
> modified like Perilous Plunge with the addition
> of shoulder belts! And I heard this ride is even
> steeper than Perilous Plunge (80 degrees as
> opposed to 75 for PP).

The modifications to Perilous Plunge were not required, nor designed by the manufacturer. The modifications were done by Knott's to apease Cal OSHA and their requirements for Perlious Plunge to be allowed to reopen. IMO they're overkill, unnecessary and have ruined the ride. I rode Perilous Pluge nine times on the day it opened and have never set foot on it again. I wish Knott's would've removed Perilous Plunge following the accident.

Intamin stands by their restraint design claiming it is sufficient so long as the park's follow the manufacturer's guidelines for the rider's height, weight and body proportions. Also, it has been noted that the riders should hold on to one of the grab bars.

Eric

Re: INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN! by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 4/16/04 12:55:45 AM

The brake failure on SFNE's Superman and the drop tower ride accidents are not related. They are Intamin designed rides, but they do not involve the failure of a related restraint system which centers around this accident Knott's Perilous Plunge and SFDL's Superman roller coaster.

Eric

Re: INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN! by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 4/16/04 7:16:29 AM

> The brake failure on SFNE's Superman and the drop
> tower ride accidents are not related. They are
> Intamin designed rides, but they do not involve
> the failure of a related restraint system which
> centers around this accident Knott's Perilous
> Plunge and SFDL's Superman roller coaster.

Eric...they're Intamin safety failures, that was all that I was implying.

The fact they're different systems doesn't make me any less wary, it's still the same company doing the design work and installation.

If anything it makes me *more* liable to question them and their record.

Michael W.

Dippin' Dots: The Only "Ice Cream" with the URC Seal of Approval!

Re: INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/16/04 10:36:49 AM

I have to agree with Eric on this one too, it has to be the park for not following Intamin's guide lines, because if you look at a place like CP, you've never heard of anyone being ejected from the ride or even having an accident. It's a shame that it happened, and I wonder what more is going to be said?

C-Screw.

Schwarzkopf.coaster.net

Re: INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN! by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 4/16/04 2:54:48 PM

> Eric...they're Intamin safety failures, that was
> all that I was implying.

> The fact they're different systems doesn't make
> me any less wary, it's still the same company
> doing the design work and installation.

> If anything it makes me *more* liable to question
> them and their record.

The second generation drop tower accident at PGA IMO is not a failure of Intamin's restraint design. Instead it was human failure for allowing someone who was incapacitated to some ability to ride.

I think I stated your point by saying they're all Intamin rides, but deal with different specific issues.

Eric

Re: INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 4/16/04 3:19:40 PM

> The second generation drop tower accident at PGA
> IMO is not a failure of Intamin's restraint
> design. Instead it was human failure for allowing
> someone who was incapacitated to some ability to
> ride.

While I agree that had something to do with it. I noticed on Hellevator quite clearly right after the accident at PGA that on that style restraint, The seats that didn't tilt back, have a hump in the middle and have a seatbelt was clearly a problem. Expeically if one were not able to sit rigidly upright. If there was any marginal gap at all between the bottom of the OTSR and the seat, A body straigtening could slip through it upon braking. Granted Hellevator had just gotten the belt between the legs when I rode but I noticed that big time where before I wasn't even looking.

BTW, Those restrains have been changed not once but at least twice since that incident.

> I think I stated your point by saying they're all
> Intamin rides, but deal with different specific
> issues.

To that I would agree except in three instances it was clearly involving the hydrolic locking lapbars that are supposedly double locked and in the first case of that there were no seatbelts involved.

Eric

There are some rides where restraints are basically just there and serve as a device to keep somebody from doing something stupid while the restraint itself isn't necessary for someone who would ride in a proper manner would be perfectly safe to do so (LTD)

There are also rides where the restraint has everything to do with a riders safety and in that case it needs to work the way it was designed to work or someones getting hurt or killed.

Chuck, who knows a very well known park rep that while visiting another park and riding their SLC had the restraint pop open, If it wasn't for the seatbelt he swears he wouldn't be here today.

>

Re: INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN! by SFAPKDFreak at 4/16/04 5:42:00 PM

> Girl dies in 100ft roller coaster fall

> A 16-year-old girl from South Wales has died
> after falling 100ft from the top of a
> rollercoaster at a west Wales theme park.

> ------------

> This ride is similar to KBF's Perilous Plunge
> which had a similar death a few years ago of when
> a woman was ejected.

> Click the link below for the BBC article:

^Chuck don't forget there was a brake failure on SFA's Superman last year as well....I was in the park near the ride when it happened.

Re: INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN! by EuclidBeast at 4/16/04 9:53:19 PM

OK I know nothing... but I have watched the Alvey videos of Perilous Plunge...

and I really wonder - when that boat flips verticle it really looks like the back end of the boat is moving fast - like a catapult fast- could this much force out of the seat be a serious part of the problem... ?

Re: INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/17/04 3:17:19 AM

I don't know what Alvey is, but from what I've read about neg G's, maybe this PP and Hydro shouldn't be this steep, at least without the proper speed. Though not a physics major, I still am baffled by that.

C-Screw.

Schwarzkopf.coaster.net

Re: INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN! by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 4/18/04 4:15:12 AM

I will say one thing about the Perilous Plunge style ride. The first time I rode the ride I felt the airtime was extreme and practically dangerous. Because of the extreme angle of descent the ride basically is like a catapult for the riders in the rear rows, launching them with force up and out of their seats. Sadly, this second accident really is no surprise to me.

Eric

Re: INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/18/04 10:04:52 AM

I will say one thing about the Perilous Plunge style ride. The first time I rode the ride I felt the airtime was extreme and practically dangerous. Because of the extreme angle of descent the ride basically is like a catapult for the riders in the rear rows, launching them with force up and out of their seats. Sadly, this second accident really is no surprise to me.

Eric

Eric, my friend, why would Intamin build such a ride with an angle like that? It absolutely befuddles me.

C-Screw.

Schwarzkopf.coaster.net

Re: INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN! by IdoraWildcat at 4/18/04 5:53:01 PM

Though I have thoroughly enjoyed Intamin rides, I have wondered if they were not pushing the envelope too far. The first time I rode Superman at SFDL, I could not believe the intensity of the airtime. There are a couple of hills on that ride that literally are trying to throw you out. SFNE Superman was the same thing. I would never, ever put my arms up on those rides. I grab, tightly, onto the sides of the seat, which gives better leverage than the restraint or grab bar (if available). And what is up with those incredibly short brake runs, with virtually NO room for error? Then look at the impulses. When I first saw those towers, with all that unsupported structure sway on S:UE (and on WT), I thought that there was NO WAY that was what the engineers at Intamin intended to happen. And now, the impusles are getting additional structure. Apparently, Xcellerator at Knotts also required considerable structural reinforcement. And the angle of Perilous Plunge (appropriate name) and Hydro just look to be outrageous. Almost in complete disregard to what could be considered a safe drop. In the hundred plus years of coasters, it is only recently where drop angles exceeded 65 degrees. Up until the Schwarzkopf shuttles, as far as I know, only the Rocky Springs Wildcat and the Coney Island Cyclone approached 65 degrees, while the norm, even for the unbelievable coasters of the roaring 20's, was between 45 and 52 degrees. Did Intamin all of a sudden figure a way around gravity with their 70, 75, 80 and ultimately 90 degree drops with such minimal restraint and with such negative g force?

These incidents make one wonder if Intamin is just plain arrogant when it comes to ride design today
(we can make ANYTHING work), or do they not understand what they truly are doing?

I will continue to ride rides like MF and the superman coasters, and will continue to hang on, very tightly.

Idora Wildcat

> ------------

> a woman was ejected.

Re: INTAMIN DEATH......AGAIN! by MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile at 4/22/04 8:41:36 PM

> Though I have thoroughly enjoyed Intamin rides,
> I have wondered if they were not pushing the
> envelope too far. The first time I rode Superman
> at SFDL, I could not believe the intensity of the
> airtime. There are a couple of hills on that ride
> that literally are trying to throw you out. SFNE
> Superman was the same thing. I would never, ever
> put my arms up on those rides. I grab, tightly,
> onto the sides of the seat, which gives better
> leverage than the restraint or grab bar (if
> available). And what is up with those incredibly
> short brake runs, with virtually NO room for
> error? Then look at the impulses. When I first
> saw those towers, with all that unsupported
> structure sway on S:UE (and on WT), I thought
> that there was NO WAY that was what the engineers
> at Intamin intended to happen. And now, the
> impusles are getting additional structure.
> Apparently, Xcellerator at Knotts also required
> considerable structural reinforcement. And the
> angle of Perilous Plunge (appropriate name) and
> Hydro just look to be outrageous. Almost in
> complete disregard to what could be considered a
> safe drop. In the hundred plus years of coasters,
> it is only recently where drop angles exceeded 65
> degrees. Up until the Schwarzkopf shuttles, as
> far as I know, only the Rocky Springs Wildcat and
> the Coney Island Cyclone approached 65 degrees,
> while the norm, even for the unbelievable
> coasters of the roaring 20's, was between 45 and
> 52 degrees. Did Intamin all of a sudden figure a
> way around gravity with their 70, 75, 80 and
> ultimately 90 degree drops with such minimal
> restraint and with such negative g force?

> These incidents make one wonder if Intamin is
> just plain arrogant when it comes to ride design
> today
> (we can make ANYTHING work), or do they not
> understand what they truly are doing?

> I will continue to ride rides like MF and the
> superman coasters, and will continue to hang on,
> very tightly.

> Idora Wildcat

> ------------

> a woman was ejected.

>

Idora Wildcat,

I hate to post this because of my love for Intamin coasters. However, much has been mentioned of these accidents. I saw one error at SFA that received practically no press (except for my post) at the close of last season at SFA. This was a brake system failure at S:ROS, looking EXACTLY like the one at SFNE. Why doesn't anybody mention it??? Well, THE TRAINS DID NOT COLLIDE! I will go ahead and assume credit to the SFA ride operators who released the other train early and had it over halfway up the hill. When the circuit train arrived, it passed through the open brake run, ran through the station, made the insane quick first turn and stopped on the chain lift well before the other train. SFA employees very professionally got the people off of the train to walk down the hill, and closed off the entire area anywhere near the ride. TWO TRAINS IN THE SAME BLOCK -- ON THE LIFT HILL. This should have been a major incident, but give SFA credit for handling it.

Still, it supports your thoughts of "isn't this crazy short brake run really pushing the limits?"

MarathonRunner