Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags

NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags

LONNOL
Posted: 12/22/03 at 8:58:45 PM
Views: 1394

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1072089135136291.xml

Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags

12/22/03
John Horton
Plain Dealer Reporter

There's something falling fast at Six Flags Worlds of Adventure, and it's not part of a thrill ride.

The amusement park's attendance plunged more than 25 percent in the last two years, according to estimates in today's edition of Amusement Business magazine. The tumble represents one of the biggest percentage declines among the top 50 parks in North America.

The drop means 700,000 fewer people visited Six Flags this year than in 2001, when the park purchased the adjacent Sea World of Ohio and combined the attractions. Attendance fell from 2.7 million in 2001 to 2 million this year, according to the magazine.

"That's not a healthy sign," said Tim O'Brien, an editor at Amusement Business. "It's tough to keep your doors open when you lose a quarter of your visitors."

Six Flags is not alone in seeing lagging crowds. In the last two years, the top 50 amusement parks have seen reductions in combined attendance, according to the magazine. In 2003, 38 of the 50 parks experienced declining or flat attendance.

Cedar Point in Sandusky, the main competition for Six Flags in Northeast Ohio, is one of the few parks to see attendance grow in each of the last two years. Cedar Point's attendance has increased more than 6 percent since 2001, from 3.1 million to 3.3 million.

Six Flags Inc. officials would not comment on the attendance estimates for the Ohio park, which straddles the border of Geauga and Portage counties and uses an Aurora address. The Oklahoma City-based theme-park company does not release attendance figures for individual parks, spokeswoman Debbie Nauser said.

Overall attendance at the 39 parks operated by Six Flags is down a combined 8 percent since 2001, according to the company's annual and quarterly reports.

Amusement Business, based in Nashville, Tenn., cites "reliable sources" for its annual attendance estimates. In the past, local Six Flags representatives have directed reporters to call the magazine for attendance numbers.

Six Flags has acknowledged ticket troubles. Last year, Kieran Burke, the company's chairman and chief executive, called the $110 million Sea World acquisition "disappointing" and cited dwindling attendance.

Six Flags Worlds of Adventure has slid from 24th to 30th in North American amusement-park attendance rankings since 2001. The number of visitors declined 7 percent in 2003 and 21 percent in 2002, according to estimates.

The park has not added a significant attraction such as a roller coaster to help lure visitors the last two years. Six Flags built two water-slide complexes for the 2003 season, an attraction that was hurt by the region's cool and wet summer. In 2002, the park's featured addition was a tiger exhibit.

Cedar Point, meanwhile, spent $25 million this year putting up Top Thrill Dragster, the world's tallest and fastest coaster. The magazine attributed Cedar Point's 3 percent attendance increase in 2003 to the record-setting ride. Cedar Point ranked 15th in North America in amusement-park attendance this year, up from 16th in 2002 and 19th in 2001.

"When you build something like that, you expect to see improvement at the gate," said Robin Innes, director of public relations at Cedar Point.

Cedar Point is not adding rides for next year but is making nearly $10 million in improvements to its Soak City water park and Lighthouse Point camping complex, Innes said. Cedar Point is scheduled to open a $22 million indoor water-park resort in November 2004.

Six Flags will not announce its 2004 improvement plan until early next year, Nauser said. She said the company remains committed to Northeast Ohio.

Plain Dealer reporter Molly Kavanaugh contributed to this story.

User Submitted Picture

APH

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 12/22/03 9:31:51 PM

Something definitely isn't right about those attendance figures, even though they are supposedly "estimated" so I ask where did they get these numbers? Many of us SFWoA fans are dumbfounded by this report as we believe the park had at least as small increase in visitors for 2003.

A lot of us do agree that the park was much, much busier than ever this year compared to last year. True the weather was horrible in May and June but once it cleared out the park exploded with people. No major attractions? They don't consider a big water park expansion as a major attraction? Hurricane Mountain and Shark Attack were very popular this year resulting in an overflowing water park.

The crowds returned to the Wild Life side and was very noticeable at showtime. Shouka and the dolphins both had very sizeable crowds for their performances.

Would it have mattered if SFWoA put in a coaster in 2003 since CP got all the attention with Dragster? I actually believe TTD's problems helped out SFWoA in a sense without the park doing any extra effort in advertising.

Granted the park is long overdue a major ride in order to continute improving attendance numbers but with corporate's financial debacle it looks like the park will suffer again in 2004.

G-Dog

SFWoA: An Unofficial Guide

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by LONNOL at 12/22/03 9:38:51 PM

> Something definitely isn't right about those
> attendance figures, even though they are
> supposedly "estimated" so I ask where
> did they get these numbers? Many of us SFWoA fans
> are dumbfounded by this report as we believe the
> park had at least as small increase in visitors
> for 2003.

Tim's sources are confidential so I doubt he is just going to say "here's where they're from." But, I will say that from working with him that everyone in the industry trusts this list and considers it the most accurate in the world. If you worked in the industry who would you trust- an industry expert that has been doing this specific list for over a decade or SFWOA fans? I think Tim's record in the industry speaks for itself.

Adam User Submitted Picture

APH

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 12/22/03 9:59:19 PM

Maybe I'm just a SFWoA fan but visiting the park once every week for the past several years one notices the difference. It definitely was a big improvement all around this year compared to 2002.

I'm not doubting Tim but his sources since corporate supposedly does not give out attendance figures for any of their parks.

G-Dog

SFWoA: An Unofficial Guide

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by scotth1229 at 12/22/03 10:02:00 PM

G-Dog - I respect your support for SFWoA and the former Geauga Lake. Growing up in the 70s and early 80s about 30 miles from GL, I went there at least 5-6x per summer. My then-girlfriend-now-wife worked there in 1983, and we spent half the summer there.

We took our young girls to SFWoA a few years ago and were thoroughly unimpressed. I don't want to get into a bashing exercise here, but suffice to say, we haven't gone back. Instead, we've continued our annual pilgrimmage to local Mecca of Amusement Parks, Cedar Point, and then go to Idlewild, Waldameer, PKI, or Kennywood for our other trip.

I once loved GL; SFWoA just doesn't do it for me.

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 12/22/03 10:18:53 PM

Before this gets out of hand, I just want everyone to know that I'm not trying to start any kind of confrontation with anyone on this forum. I do apolgize if I do come across this way. It's just that the park kicked butt this year and it showed by how much more crowded the park was compared to last year. I would have figured they would have at least had a minimal increase to remaining steady from 2002.

G-Dog

SFWoA: An Unofficial Guide

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by ray_p ray_p Profile at 12/22/03 10:55:40 PM

Anyone who knows me knows that I've been a pretty big supporter of SFWoA/SFO/GL. The last few years at the park have definitely been interesting, and I for one felt that the 2003 season was a very good one in terms of customer service. I think that many people may have visited the park in either 2000 (the SFO makeover) or 2001 (the SFWoA makeover), rode the new rides, experienced the horrible customer service (and I know G-Dog that you can attest that the service was pretty bad after Opening Weekend in both 2000 and 2001), saw that Shamu was gone from the marine park and made a decision to not come back. Some people may have made a return in 2002 and once again felt that customer service was lacking. Burn people once... shame on the park. Burn people twice and shame on the guest. They won't be going back for thirds.

Unfortunately in the Cleveland area, people will compare SFWoA to CP. It's inevitable. I also think those god-awful "I drove past Cedar Point to get to Six Flags" commercials of 2002 were a big detriment to the park. Geauga Lake always was a big part of Clevelanders history. Not as big as Euclid Beach mind you, but it still conjures up vivid memories for many in the area. I grew up with the park. I enjoyed the park immensely. While I DO enjoy SFWoA, I still think some of the old GL "charm" is gone. When you think about it, only the Carousel, Big Dipper and the Monorail are left from the old days of GL. Everything else is relatively new and most of the park does have a "sterile Six Flags " feel. BUT.... there's no denying the beauty of this park's location. The lakeside setting is simply stunning.

SFWoA has a TON of things to offer. I just feel they need to find the right marketing package, realize that good customer service will bring repeat customers (meaning employees who actually show some enthusiasm- which did improve in 2003 and running rides at or near full capacity.... also improved in 2003), and perhaps add something that isn't offered elsewhere in the region like a Top Scan, Shake, Power Surge... it doesn't have to be a coaster. Just something that people will see and say "Wow- that looks cool." A used Chance Wipeout really didn't say that last season! I wish the park nothing but the best and will continue to support them... I just hope the park continues to improve and then I believe that others will do the same.

ray p.

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by Coaster3.16 at 12/23/03 7:44:48 AM

Right you are, Ray.

I've never come across the problems with SFWOA that most others have, and I know I'm lucky for that. But I've been thinking about what the park could do marketing-wise to help themselves out. Here is my thought:

WARNING: In no way do I expect this to happen. This is just a suggestion I came up with a couple of months ago.

Six Flags bites the bullet and realizes that their inferior service of the past two years has hurt the park. The Six Flags name leaves a bad taste in the mouth of many people in the region. That won't change soon. So, they should change the name back to Geauga Lake. They could still have the Six Flags name in front if they really want to, but I would think it best to simply go with Geauga Lake.

Then, the marketing campaign could include multiple angles. One would be a commercial showing kids in the great kiddie area and at the old Sea World side, with the slogan..."Bring Your Family Back To Geauga Lake".

A second angle would show the coasters and thrill rides (including a new one) with the slogan..."Come For The Thrills At Geauga Lake".

A third would include showing an older couple riding the swan boats, a younger couple stopping for an ice cream cone on the floating boardwalk, and a family riding the antique cars with the slogan..."Recapture The Charms Of Geauga Lake".

Essentially, offer the disgruntled ex-visitors a bone with the marketing campaign. Apologize without saying your sorry. The campaign would show the diversity the park has to offer, but acknowledges the past and the memories that even the younger folk have of the older park. I doubt it could hurt.

Just my two cents on one of my favorite parks.

- Jeff

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by Jersey_Joe Jersey_Joe Profile at 12/23/03 10:55:41 AM

> Right you are, Ray.

> I've never come across the problems with SFWOA
> that most others have, and I know I'm lucky for
> that. But I've been thinking about what the park
> could do marketing-wise to help themselves out.
> Here is my thought:

> WARNING: In no way do I expect this to happen.
> This is just a suggestion I came up with a couple
> of months ago.

> Six Flags bites the bullet and realizes that
> their inferior service of the past two years has
> hurt the park. The Six Flags name leaves a bad
> taste in the mouth of many people in the region.
> That won't change soon. So, they should change
> the name back to Geauga Lake. They could still
> have the Six Flags name in front if they really
> want to, but I would think it best to simply go
> with Geauga Lake.

> Then, the marketing campaign could include
> multiple angles. One would be a commercial
> showing kids in the great kiddie area and at the
> old Sea World side, with the slogan..."Bring
> Your Family Back To Geauga Lake".

> A second angle would show the coasters and thrill
> rides (including a new one) with the
> slogan..."Come For The Thrills At Geauga
> Lake".

> A third would include showing an older couple
> riding the swan boats, a younger couple stopping
> for an ice cream cone on the floating boardwalk,
> and a family riding the antique cars with the
> slogan..."Recapture The Charms Of Geauga
> Lake".

> Essentially, offer the disgruntled ex-visitors a
> bone with the marketing campaign. Apologize
> without saying your sorry. The campaign would
> show the diversity the park has to offer, but
> acknowledges the past and the memories that even
> the younger folk have of the older park. I doubt
> it could hurt.

> Just my two cents on one of my favorite parks.

> - Jeff
>

Sounds like excellent ideas to me! Is anyone from Six Flags reading? Trust me, there are people here who could do MUCH better then you're currently doing.

If attendance decreases again, do you think they'll finally get it?

I doubt it.

Joe

Jersey Joe's Coaster Pages

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by VJDiAngelo VJDiAngelo Profile at 12/23/03 10:58:29 AM

So, they should change
> the name back to Geauga Lake.

You know, when I first read that I thought "that's crazy and it'll never happen!" but I actually think you have a great idea there! IMO The main problem is that Cleveland already has a major sterile corporate amusement park that is run exemplary, and there is really no way to compete with that. Their best option is to go after the nostalgic crowd looking for the "classic" style experience. I too grew up at GL and miss it's wonderful charm. I love CP, but for a different reason and a different style. The thing that GL lost is something that CP has never had in my experience. They are very different parks and the main problem is that SF tried to make them the same.

I also love your ad campaign idea! do you work in marketing? you should! Even if they didn't change the name, that campaign would do alot to charm the GP into returning. It would suggest that they have addressed the customer service issues without coming out and saying it. Ideally they would then fix the CS issues and the word of mouth would take over from there.

My two cents plus Jeff-M's = 4

Vic

Millenium Force Station Music

You Can Count on Us, G-Dog! by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/25/03 12:01:24 PM

G-Dog:

With these wonderful new-fangled SF passes we *WON* this year, you can count on the MommaBeast gang to do our share to bolster and uphold the attendance figures you witnessed in 2003 at SFWoA!!

We can't wait to go....

Out of all the SF parks we could hit first, the kids unanimously want to go back to SFWoA.

I love the park!

MommaBeast User Submitted Picture

Re: You Can Count on Us, G-Dog! by Johnny-Mnemonic at 12/25/03 4:11:59 PM

I also enjoy SFWOA, mostly for their outstanding coaster collection. IMO, the park needs to put some time and money into maintanance and customer service(as has been said a billion times before). And you can do that while continuing to build(within moderation of course). They should go after the family market like PKI, and stay as far away from Cedar Point as they can get. It's never too late to make over your image.

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by Spyder Spyder Profile at 12/26/03 12:38:15 PM

That's exactly right. PKI knew they couldn't compete (Or didn't care to compete) with CP for their "thrill market", so they went after the family-kiddie market and look how succesful they've been with that. They have about the same attendance as CP, maybe even a little more. I know in '01-'02 they did. SFWoA is kind of stuck in between. But i think they'd have a better chance goin after the family Sea World market, then going after the thrill seekers. Since the only nearby family park would be Kennywood at 2 hrs away & PKI about 4 hrs away, i think family is their best shot, since they'll never take the thrill seekers away from CP. SF would go bankrupt.

-DAN

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by TheReverend at 12/26/03 7:28:32 PM

Absolutely, Jeff.
When I visited WOA two summers ago I was actually surprised at how much I ended up liking it. Why? because I knew it was a Six Flags park (so I tried to prepare mentally for some of the standard shortcomings -whcih usually halps me enjoy the park more - what I discovered was a park with more of a nostalgic feel about it than I expected. This is a very important point IMO - why do all the Six Flags parks have to...
A - ...use S-Flags in the name?
(I don't know of anyone out here who refers to
Knott's as "Cedar Fair Knott's Berry Farm" - maybe a few enthusiasts do, I suppose)

B - ...utilize so much of the same "stuff"
(can't there be ONE or TWO Six Flags parks that DON'T have bugs, tweety, and coasters named after
superheroes?)

I know, I ask for the impossible (lol)

-The Rev

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by chillforce chillforce Profile at 12/26/03 11:17:12 PM

> I know, I ask for the impossible (lol)

The questions are not impossible, it is the movies that are LOL.

Ed

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by sixflagskid at 12/27/03 1:49:26 AM

> Before this gets out of hand, I just want
> everyone to know that i have been to six flags woa but wat g-dog said he was 100% right .

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by Catfish at 12/27/03 1:54:05 PM

>
> http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1072089135136291.xml
> Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags

> 12/22/03
> John Horton
> Plain Dealer Reporter

> There's something falling fast at Six Flags
> Worlds of Adventure, and it's not part of a
> thrill ride.

> The amusement park's attendance plunged more than
> 25 percent in the last two years, according to
> estimates in today's edition of Amusement
> Business magazine. The tumble represents one of
> the biggest percentage declines among the top 50
> parks in North America.

> The drop means 700,000 fewer people visited Six
> Flags this year than in 2001, when the park
> purchased the adjacent Sea World of Ohio and
> combined the attractions. Attendance fell from
> 2.7 million in 2001 to 2 million this year,
> according to the magazine.

> "That's not a healthy sign," said Tim
> O'Brien, an editor at Amusement Business.
> "It's tough to keep your doors open when you
> lose a quarter of your visitors."

> Six Flags is not alone in seeing lagging crowds.
> In the last two years, the top 50 amusement parks
> have seen reductions in combined attendance,
> according to the magazine. In 2003, 38 of the 50
> parks experienced declining or flat attendance.

> Cedar Point in Sandusky, the main competition for
> Six Flags in Northeast Ohio, is one of the few
> parks to see attendance grow in each of the last
> two years. Cedar Point's attendance has increased
> more than 6 percent since 2001, from 3.1 million
> to 3.3 million.

> Six Flags Inc. officials would not comment on the
> attendance estimates for the Ohio park, which
> straddles the border of Geauga and Portage
> counties and uses an Aurora address. The Oklahoma
> City-based theme-park company does not release
> attendance figures for individual parks,
> spokeswoman Debbie Nauser said.

> Overall attendance at the 39 parks operated by
> Six Flags is down a combined 8 percent since
> 2001, according to the company's annual and
> quarterly reports.

> Amusement Business, based in Nashville, Tenn.,
> cites "reliable sources" for its annual
> attendance estimates. In the past, local Six
> Flags representatives have directed reporters to
> call the magazine for attendance numbers.

> Six Flags has acknowledged ticket troubles. Last
> year, Kieran Burke, the company's chairman and
> chief executive, called the $110 million Sea
> World acquisition "disappointing" and
> cited dwindling attendance.

> Six Flags Worlds of Adventure has slid from 24th
> to 30th in North American amusement-park
> attendance rankings since 2001. The number of
> visitors declined 7 percent in 2003 and 21
> percent in 2002, according to estimates.

> The park has not added a significant attraction
> such as a roller coaster to help lure visitors
> the last two years. Six Flags built two
> water-slide complexes for the 2003 season, an
> attraction that was hurt by the region's cool and
> wet summer. In 2002, the park's featured addition
> was a tiger exhibit.

> Cedar Point, meanwhile, spent $25 million this
> year putting up Top Thrill Dragster, the world's
> tallest and fastest coaster. The magazine
> attributed Cedar Point's 3 percent attendance
> increase in 2003 to the record-setting ride.
> Cedar Point ranked 15th in North America in
> amusement-park attendance this year, up from 16th
> in 2002 and 19th in 2001.

> "When you build something like that, you
> expect to see improvement at the gate," said
> Robin Innes, director of public relations at
> Cedar Point.

> Cedar Point is not adding rides for next year but
> is making nearly $10 million in improvements to
> its Soak City water park and Lighthouse Point
> camping complex, Innes said. Cedar Point is
> scheduled to open a $22 million indoor water-park
> resort in November 2004.

> Six Flags will not announce its 2004 improvement
> plan until early next year, Nauser said. She said
> the company remains committed to Northeast Ohio.

> Plain Dealer reporter Molly Kavanaugh contributed
> to this story.

I love SFWoA. Their collection of coasters is pretty darn good. Big Dipper is a classic woodie with great airtime. Villain is a fast and furious woodie built by the lat great CCI. This challeges the Beast at PKI as my favorite woodie. Raging Wolf Bobs will never be a top ten coaster but it is fun and I think it has improved with the new trains.
Batman Knight Flight is my favorite overall coaster here and it is woderfull. serial Thriller is not bad for a Vekoma. Mind Eraser is is a standard boomerang but the only one we have in Ohio. SUE is fun as well and different enough from wicked twister that gives it a unique experience. X-Flight is OK as well. I didn't like this coaster at first and while it will never be a coaster I want to ride all the time it is fun. The Roadrunner express is great for families and they sometimes give you double rides.
The park has a lot to offer out side of coasters as the have alot of rides CP doesn't have such as El Dorado, Starfish and Pirates'd Flight. While I am hardly a water park enthusiast the water area looks great and it is included in the admission.
The wildlife section has a lot of entertainment to offer that other nearby parks don't offer. CP lost Jungle Larry's in 1994 and Oceana in 1997 and PKI retired the wild animal safari monorail soon after Paramount took over.
I personally love the 50s theme area. And I think the Looney Toons Boomtown is quite colorful and I think if I was 7 I would be in heaven.
One thing I think SF needs to improve is service and effiency. If they could improve this it would be a great help to them.
One thing that I think a hurt the park is that the proposed hypercoaster has yet to be built. It would be one thing if it was just a rumor but they annouced it through the news media that they have gooten approval to build the coaster. Many people including myself were excited about the ride only to see it not come.
I try to support all parks as much as possible and the industry as a hole. And will continue to do so.

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by EuclidBeast at 12/30/03 4:19:45 AM

This thread started with a copy of an article from the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the same paper that excoriated companies for moving out to the suburbs, and then did the same thing.

One of the great tragedies of this town is its news monopoly. The Plain Dealer can't find sunshine on a hot summer day. Example: Right now Lebron James is on the cover of newspapers and tabloids around the county. Yesterday I pickup the PD off the porch and find that they dropped Lebron's 30+ point- near triple double performance against Portland to the bottom of the sports page. It's sick - a disease. People then start thinking that the TOWN isn't excited about the team. Five or six negative articles posted above the Lebron story. Lebron, overhyped or not, is GOOD news.

I think that the local media likes to keep a cloud over the locals...

Cleveland and its neighbors are resiliant. Good things are happening around here. But last year the local steel mill had just barely reopened, and the overall Ohio economy is still today just fighting back at a pace slower than the rest of the country.

Until SFWoA builds up onsite accomodations, and figures out a way to communicate its amazing value to more people, there is no reason to believe that its fortunes will go much better than the local economy.

Euclid Beast
who has visited SFWoA 80 times with family in the last 3 years and still hasn't experienced every attraction...

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by smholter smholter Profile at 12/31/03 4:50:33 PM

> This thread started with a copy of an article
> from the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the same paper
> that excoriated companies for moving out to the
> suburbs, and then did the same thing.

> One of the great tragedies of this town is its
> news monopoly. The Plain Dealer can't find
> sunshine on a hot summer day.

EuclidBeast - greatest post I've read on this board. Your opinions on the PD and SFWOA/GL are "on." I absolutely HATE the Cleveland Plain Dealer. It has ZERO redeeming qualities, and it would be out of business in 6 months if a decent competitor set up show. Does SF run a newspaper business.

SFWOA's fortunes are, for better or worse, tied more to Cleveland than CP's fortunes. CP has established itself as its own destination independent of Cleveland; in fact, CP is a reason become come to Cleveland, yet few (any?)come to Cleveland for SFWOA.

All this aside, I think there are a lot of people like me that gave SFWOA a shot in 1999 or 2000 and had a lousy experience. Quite disappointing considering the favorable view of the old Geauga Lake. In fact, I'd argue that SFWOA would be better positioned to compete with CP if it marketed itself like the old Geuaga Lake, not a CP wannabe. But, with a price tag similar to CP, I'll opt for CP every time since I know we'll have a good experience each time.

Re: NEWS: Thrill isn't gone, but fans fading at Six Flags by EuclidBeast at 1/5/04 10:27:12 PM

I agree that SFWoA is not even close to competing with the Roller Coast. Having said that, the REAL bucket of money that SFWoA needs to focus on is the money that goes SOUTH each year to the Florida and Carolina's.

Add a nice destination Hotel Geauga to the vacant spot on the north shore of the lake... put together easily sale-able packages for travel agents to sell...

Marketed properly, a pre-packaged trip to Aurora includes... a very nice hotel stay with all amenities... Golf passes to the unused new course across the street from SF... A beautiful shopping arena at Aurora Farms... and of course a park that takes three full days to explore anyway...

We'll need to tape permanent smiles and Bugs Bunny ears on the heads of every employee for the entire season first, of course...

The big $$ is not in a hyper; its in attracting families that could get to Aurora in a car from 5 hours away, instead of the hassle and expense of Flying South...