Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Off Topic: Larger Riders Take Note

Off Topic: Larger Riders Take Note

Big_Steve
Posted: 11/9/03 at 12:27:17 AM
Views: 1050

I have to share this with the frustrated larger (over weight) enthusiasts who may not fit into some coaster restraints (like myself). This summer/fall, I barely fit on Vertical Velocity/SUE/Wicked Twister/Dragster/ MF and the SROS models. Dragster was a serious eye opener. I was forcefully buckled by a ride op because I couldn't do it myself. For me, this was humiliating.
Okay, I do lift weights (about 300 max bench press 1 rep). I'm not hugely muscled, but I'm fairly strong and thick. At 5'11" and 268, I'm also carrying around 50 or so extra pounds. My dad tells me in one week he lost 8.5 pounds. I freaked. He tells me he's "doing" Atkins. I research and decide to do it. Well, tomorrow is 2 weeks in and I'm down 20 pounds (no joke). This works and I'm not stopping until my six pack decides to peak out of my epidermis. I highly recommend those looking to "fit" better on coasters take a serious look at this plan. It works, it's healthy and I've done nothing but modify my food intake (very little exercise). I refuse to starve - I like food too much.

For those Atkins skeptics - don't even waste your time replying. Doctors recommend the hell out of this so called "diet" and it's easy as hell to do. I'm not hungry, I feel great, pants are getting loose, and I'll be damned if I won't buckle myself in on any coaster I ride from now on!
Steve (soon to be not big). 248 and counting!

Re: Off Topic: Larger Riders Take Note by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 11/9/03 1:01:59 AM

Steve, Im about 50pds heavier than you. It's been years since I could ride Raptor, BTR, FUGETABOUTIT!

I started Atkins on tuesday and didn't weigh myself till weds. Since Weds, This is three days mind you! 8PDS! and I even goofed a little on friday due to a birthday dinner for Me! :)

From what I understand, The diet works the best on type 0 blood people but Im not type O and it's working. It also tends to work on people who are very overweight and not alot on people only about 20pds overwieght.

I was told this by my DR though, If I was going to do this diet, Take a ASPRIN A DAY and a glass of Metamucil a day. So far :)

Chuck, who knows many people whove lost a lot of weight on Atkins and is not hungry eating any time I want to and still loosing weight :)

Mummy Story, Warning Spoilers inside

Short, skinny guy horning in on this post... by AL_W_ at 11/9/03 3:23:44 AM

Glad to hear you guys are having such great success on the diet. I work with a few folks who, are also doing the Atkins diet and having good results with it.
After seeing people struggling w/ restraints, glad to hear many are taking positive steps. My best wishes to you.
(I, of course, have a prob or 2 I need to address!)

Best regards,
Al W.

Re: Off Topic: Larger Riders Take Note by missing at 11/9/03 5:05:40 AM

> I have to share this with the frustrated larger
> (over weight) enthusiasts who may not fit into
> some coaster restraints (like myself). This
> summer/fall, I barely fit on Vertical
> Velocity/SUE/Wicked Twister/Dragster/ MF and the
> SROS models. Dragster was a serious eye opener. I
> was forcefully buckled by a ride op because I
> couldn't do it myself. For me, this was
> humiliating.
> Okay, I do lift weights (about 300 max bench
> press 1 rep). I'm not hugely muscled, but I'm
> fairly strong and thick. At 5'11" and 268,
> I'm also carrying around 50 or so extra pounds.
> My dad tells me in one week he lost 8.5 pounds. I
> freaked. He tells me he's "doing"
> Atkins. I research and decide to do it. Well,
> tomorrow is 2 weeks in and I'm down 20 pounds (no
> joke). This works and I'm not stopping until my
> six pack decides to peak out of my epidermis. I
> highly recommend those looking to "fit"
> better on coasters take a serious look at this
> plan. It works, it's healthy and I've done
> nothing but modify my food intake (very little
> exercise). I refuse to starve - I like food too
> much.

> For those Atkins skeptics - don't even waste your
> time replying. Doctors recommend the hell out of
> this so called "diet" and it's easy as
> hell to do. I'm not hungry, I feel great, pants
> are getting loose, and I'll be damned if I won't
> buckle myself in on any coaster I ride from now
> on!
> Steve (soon to be not big). 248 and counting!

> i too am trying to lose weight before we try out coasters in jan but i reckon us heaveir people are more thrill seekers than most. when you are flying upside down on a coaster at a weight of 140 kilos plus and you are looking at the restraint bar wondering if the sucker is going to hold i reckon that is always going to be a great scarey mother of a ride

Re: Off Topic: Larger Riders Take Note by Jersey_Joe Jersey_Joe Profile at 11/9/03 9:08:27 AM

Steve -- I've been on Atkins since July 14th. You will lose a lot of weight, quickly, and then it'll slow to a crawl, but a safe comfortable one.

I've lost 43 lbs so far and I had a lot more to lose then 50 lbs to begin with. Right now, I'm losing from 1/2 to 1 lb per week.

The other thing to keep in mind on Atkins is that you should be taking a good multi vitamin/mineral supplement. You may hit a plateau more then once where you stay the same for 3-4 weeks and then all the sudden one week you'll lose 2-3 lbs. I even called their 800 number to ask about it, as it has happened twice to me. They told me that is normal, to just stay with it.

Stick with it, you can do it!

Best of luck...

Joe

Jersey Joe's Coaster Pages

Re: Off Topic: Larger Riders Take Note by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 11/9/03 10:14:03 AM

> He tells me he's "doing"
> Atkins. I research and decide to do it. Well,
> tomorrow is 2 weeks in and I'm down 20 pounds (no
> joke). This works

Yes it does! Especially during the 'Induction Period' -- the first two weeks where carbs are limited to 20 per day (with other limitations in place as well). THERE IS NO CHEATING ALLOWED DURING THIS CRITICAL PERIOD.

In two months I lost 17 pounds. While I'm a meat eater, I thought this plan would be right up my alley...meat 24/7. Truth is, the first 6 days were hard; I'd never thought I'd say "I'm sick of meat!!"
But say it I did. Then I began to get creative with meat (beef, pork, chicken, STEAK!!) using their tips and I got re-focused, shall we say? LOL

IMHO, it's unnatural to eat primarily MEAT and little to no veggies, fruits, etc. At least it's unnatural for me -- and for that reason alone, I've slacked off the carb counting regimen.

But I will say that the Atkins DOES work. You shoulda seen the giant smile plastered on my face this past summer when I clicked the belt on MF....I stretched the belt waaaaay out (like I'd always had to) then reached across my torso to latch it. Lo and behold...I didn't need that much belt to begin with! There was lotsa belt left over....Yipppeeee!!!!

Good luck, Steve. You can do it and remember you have lots of supportive people here if you ever need us.

:>)
MommaBeast

Re: Off Topic: Larger Riders Take Note by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/9/03 11:13:25 AM

> Steve, Im about 50pds heavier than you. It's been
> years since I could ride Raptor, BTR,
> FUGETABOUTIT!

Good luck Chuck. I know how "crushed" you were when you couldn't take part in the Travel Channel's Drop Zone video shoot.

> I started Atkins on tuesday and didn't weigh
> myself till weds. Since Weds, This is three days
> mind you! 8PDS! and I even goofed a little on
> friday due to a birthday dinner for Me! :)

My wife's been on a similar diet about two months and has lost 25 lbs so far. It does work.

> I was told this by my DR though, If I was going
> to do this diet, Take a ASPRIN A DAY and a glass
> of Metamucil a day. So far :)

BTW, I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but to be safe you probably shouldn't take those concomitantly - at the same time.
I don't remember exactly but I recall something from pharmacology about psyllum (Metamucil) reacting with salycitates (aspirin), also ascorbates (vitamin C). Amazing what kind of useless knowledge we can accumulate over the years, eh?

FearFest 2003 Photo's Online

Re: Off Topic: Larger Riders Take Note by Recess Recess Profile at 11/9/03 11:57:45 AM

Just about everyone I know that has tried the Atkins diet has had nothing but positive things to say about it.

I wish all you guys the best of luck in obtaining your goals.

Kyle

> Steve, Im about 50pds heavier than you. It's been
> years since I could ride Raptor, BTR,
> FUGETABOUTIT!

> I started Atkins on tuesday and didn't weigh
> myself till weds. Since Weds, This is three days
> mind you! 8PDS! and I even goofed a little on
> friday due to a birthday dinner for Me! :)

> From what I understand, The diet works the best
> on type 0 blood people but Im not type O and it's
> working. It also tends to work on people who are
> very overweight and not alot on people only about
> 20pds overwieght.

> I was told this by my DR though, If I was going
> to do this diet, Take a ASPRIN A DAY and a glass
> of Metamucil a day. So far :)

> Chuck, who knows many people whove lost a lot of
> weight on Atkins and is not hungry eating any
> time I want to and still loosing weight :)

>

Re: Off Topic: Larger Riders Take Note by Sobrider at 11/10/03 5:21:31 AM

I am going to try it as well. Just got to get the money for the meat. Ive tried it in the past and I lost some but I didn't stick.

Re: Off Topic: Larger Riders Take Note by MR_CROWLEY at 11/10/03 7:03:54 PM

At 5'11" and 268,
> I'm also carrying around 50 or so extra pounds.

You and me both, I'm 6'4" and around 270-275 lbs.
I've got loose some weight!
MR. CROWLEY
>

Re: Off Topic: Larger Riders Take Note by CP_Fan_in_Texas CP_Fan_in_Texas Profile at 11/10/03 8:53:05 PM

> I am going to try it as well. Just got to get the
> money for the meat.

Good luck to everyone on the URC Adkins diet! !

I saw a report on TV recently that said meat prices are going up due to a supposed shortage of beef due to in part all the folks on Adkins.

Hmmmmm, I think they just know all sorts of people are on the diet and taking advantage of the situation.

Good Luck to everyone anyways.

My Coaster Photos

Hardy Har Har !!! by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 11/11/03 6:49:52 AM

> Good luck to everyone on the URC Adkins diet! !

Thanks, Gary....
:>)

> I saw a report on TV recently that said meat
> prices are going up due to a supposed shortage of
> beef due to in part all the folks on Adkins.

LMBO!

> Hmmmmm, I think they just know all sorts of
> people are on the diet and taking advantage of
> the situation.

Methinks you're RIGHT!

> Good Luck to everyone anyways.

I got a good deal on ground turkey about three months ago and stocked up on it: $.49/lb. It's really good with the right spices......
(One can get r-e-a-l-l-y creative with meat once you're faced with MEAT, MEAT everday, several times a day! But the good thing is: you don't go hungry.

Happy Atkins-ing,
MommaBeast

Re: Hardy Har Har !!! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 11/11/03 7:50:54 AM

> (One can get r-e-a-l-l-y creative with meat once
> you're faced with MEAT, MEAT everday, several
> times a day! But the good thing is: you don't
> go hungry.

> Happy Atkins-ing,
> MommaBeast

>

Aint that the truth? How bout a three way with hotdogs instead of spaghetti?

Steak and Brussle sprouts.

LOL
Chuck

Mummy Story, Warning Spoilers inside

Re: Off Topic: Larger Riders Take Note by Redvelvetdragon at 11/12/03 11:34:39 AM

Congrats on everyone's weightloss! I myself ballooned up to the point where I really couldn't ride anymore. I got sick of it and started atkins in Jan of 2003. Now, in November of 2003 I've lost 82 pounds. I'm confident that I can fit again! Whew!

Just so you know, though, you still can eat lots of veggies on Atkins, you just can't have corn and peas and carrots. Make sure you eat your salads and broccoli or Cauli or what ever. Generally its 2 cups of salad and a cup of cooked veggie per day, or 3 cups of salad per day. You can eat cheese but limit to 4 oz (that cuts down on getting "backed up").

If you need an advice or just want to talk to other low carbers, I suggest visiting the forums at www.lowcarbeating.com. They've certainly answered a lot of my questions.

Good luck!
Redvelvetdragon

Re: Off Topic: Larger Riders Take Note by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 11/12/03 11:46:04 AM

Thank you....and CONGRATS to you as well!

Thanks for the link, btw.

MommaBeast, who is reading URC while munching on her fave Atkins-approved 'snack': Lettuce smeared with guacamole....yum, yum!