Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Manchester Bob

Manchester Bob

d n s u

Posted:
5/25/00 at
3:11:31 PM

Views: 1117

Anyone out there shed any light on "the Bobs"? A (woodie?) from Manchester which alas is no more.

Was I dreaming this?

Re: Manchester Bob by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/25/00 3:28:00 PM

You weren't dreaming and I certainly can shed some light on it:

The "Belle Vue Bobs" was built by Frederick Church. I don't know when it was built or taken down, but it was around from the 1930s - 1967, maybe more each way.

From the pictures I'm looking at, it does look like a woodie, with swooping turns.

Graeme.

> Anyone out there shed any light on "the
> Bobs"? A (woodie?) from Manchester which
> alas is no more.

> Was I dreaming this?

Boulder Dash

Re: Manchester Bob by d n s u at 5/25/00 4:20:09 PM

> You weren't dreaming and I certainly can shed
> some light on it:

> The "Belle Vue Bobs" was built by
> Frederick Church. I don't know when it was built
> or taken down, but it was around from the 1930s -
> 1967, maybe more each way.

> From the pictures I'm looking at, it does look
> like a woodie, with swooping turns.

> Graeme.

Cheers for that...Makes me wonder how many coasters this country of ours has lost since the war?? This topic fascinates me.. I was standing upon ground in Southport last week where once The Log Runner ran and all around me people were going about their business oblivious to this fact..Like people, coasters have their ups and downs but why get rid?? What were the reasons at the time? Does anyone know of any coaster archive web sites?

PS What country begins with the letter A but doesn't end with the letter A? (Totally unrelated to coasters but taxing none the same..)

Re: Manchester Bob by Cal at 5/26/00 6:25:28 AM

> Cheers for that...Makes me wonder how many
> coasters this country of ours has lost since the
> war?? This topic fascinates me.. I was standing
> upon ground in Southport last week where once The
> Log Runner ran and all around me people were
> going about their business oblivious to this
> fact..Like people, coasters have their ups and
> downs but why get rid?? What were the reasons at
> the time? Does anyone know of any coaster archive
> web sites?

> PS What country begins with the letter A but
> doesn't end with the letter A? (Totally unrelated
> to coasters but taxing none the same..)

There are lots of historical books on the subject - as for website, try the link site below for a few ideas.

Oh, and how about Afghanistan?

Cal

Amusement Link One

Re: Manchester Bob by Cal at 5/26/00 6:26:59 AM

> You weren't dreaming and I certainly can shed
> some light on it:

> The "Belle Vue Bobs" was built by
> Frederick Church. I don't know when it was built
> or taken down, but it was around from the 1930s -
> 1967, maybe more each way.

> From the pictures I'm looking at, it does look
> like a woodie, with swooping turns.

> Graeme.

It was a woodie, and from what I've heard it was a really good one. It's sad to think how many good coasters we've lots over the years.

Cal

Amusement Link One

Re: Manchester Bob by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/26/00 1:25:22 PM

I know the "Bobs" (funny name, eh?) are legendary, but wasn't it you who said "life goes on"?

If every coaster in England was torn down, they could be replaced with better ones.

Nemesis is the only perfect coaster installation I can think of.

Of course, I don't want our coasters to be scrapped. I'm just being extreme.

Time for me to chill!

Graeme.

> It was a woodie, and from what I've heard it was
> a really good one. It's sad to think how many
> good coasters we've lots over the years.

> Cal

Boulder Dash

Re: Manchester Bob by d n s u at 5/26/00 5:27:28 PM

Re: Manchester Bob by Cal at 5/30/00 6:01:53 AM

> I know the "Bobs" (funny name, eh?) are
> legendary, but wasn't it you who said "life
> goes on"?

> If every coaster in England was torn down, they
> could be replaced with better ones.

> Nemesis is the only perfect coaster installation
> I can think of.

> Of course, I don't want our coasters to be
> scrapped. I'm just being extreme.

> Time for me to chill!

> Graeme.

Yes but you know very well that most of the rides that have been torn down have been replaced by housing estates, multistorey carparks and supermarkets. Besides, have you no appreciation for the historical value of rides?

Cal

Re: Manchester Bob by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/30/00 1:25:04 PM

I didn't mean they will always be replaced on the spot. Basically, now we have Nemesis and the Big One instead of a load of small coasters everywhere.

I thought I liked historical rides, but I've been spoilt by the modern coaster experience.

Everything gets better: films, cameras, televisions etc. I don't think coasters are any different.

Graeme.

> Yes but you know very well that most of the rides
> that have been torn down have been replaced by
> housing estates, multistorey carparks and
> supermarkets. Besides, have you no appreciation
> for the historical value of rides?

> Cal

Re: Manchester Bob by Cal at 5/30/00 1:56:39 PM

> I didn't mean they will always be replaced on the
> spot. Basically, now we have Nemesis and the Big
> One instead of a load of small coasters
> everywhere.

> I thought I liked historical rides, but I've been
> spoilt by the modern coaster experience.

> Everything gets better: films, cameras,
> televisions etc. I don't think coasters are any
> different.

> Graeme.

Oh I'm not disputing that - that's why you won't find many old steelies around. Old woodies are another matter. I'm not talking about things like Margate's Scenic Railway, which is a lovely relic but rather boring to ride, but great rides like the Belle Vue Bobs which would still be good today. The technology behind wooden coasters has remained much the same for decades and some of the old ones - the Blackpool woodies, and those in America such as Thunderbolt, Phoenix, Cyclone and the like, are still fantastic and deserve to be preserved. I'd rather ride Phoenix once than Big One 100 times!

Cal

Re: Manchester Bob by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/30/00 2:24:13 PM

I totally agree! That thought has often occurred to me: Woodies are highly developed, whereas a lot of steelies are a bit poor.

Take Southport for instance. Cyclone and TRAUMAtizer are both very advanced coasters of their type. Wildcat, however irritates me because it's not as good as the woodie near it.

Graeme.

> Oh I'm not disputing that - that's why you won't
> find many old steelies around. Old woodies are
> another matter. I'm not talking about things like
> Margate's Scenic Railway, which is a lovely relic
> but rather boring to ride, but great rides like
> the Belle Vue Bobs which would still be good
> today. The technology behind wooden coasters has
> remained much the same for decades and some of
> the old ones - the Blackpool woodies, and those
> in America such as Thunderbolt, Phoenix, Cyclone
> and the like, are still fantastic and deserve to
> be preserved. I'd rather ride Phoenix once than
> Big One 100 times!

> Cal

Re: Manchester Bob by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/31/00 1:20:05 PM

Also, I think the "Belle Vue Bobs" would be even more highly regarded than the Grand National. It looks highly evolved.

Graeme.

> I totally agree! That thought has often occurred
> to me: Woodies are highly developed, whereas a
> lot of steelies are a bit poor.

> Take Southport for instance. Cyclone and
> TRAUMAtizer are both very advanced coasters of
> their type. Wildcat, however irritates me because
> it's not as good as the woodie near it.

> Graeme.

Re: Manchester Bob by Cal at 6/1/00 5:48:21 AM

> Also, I think the "Belle Vue Bobs"
> would be even more highly regarded than the Grand
> National. It looks highly evolved.

> Graeme.

Quite possibly! I'd have loved to have given it ago. Ah well...

Cal