Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Thorpe Park New Coaster Fact

Thorpe Park New Coaster Fact

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
5/22/00 at
2:00:42 PM

Views: 806

Andy Hine has posted on the RCCGB Guestbook, saying Thorpe Park has planning permission for a new steel coaster which is NOT a Floorless.

So, Inverted or (normal) Sit-Down?

Graeme.

RCCGB Main Page

Re: Thorpe Park New Coaster Fact by Fraser Fraser Profile at 5/22/00 4:35:13 PM

> Andy Hine has posted on the RCCGB Guestbook,
> saying Thorpe Park has planning permission for a
> new steel coaster which is NOT a Floorless.

> So, Inverted or (normal) Sit-Down?

> Graeme.

Whatever it is it had better be better than the flying snore or Project Zzzzzzz. No way out.

Re: Thorpe Park New Coaster Fact by Lyndon (Wales) at 5/22/00 7:36:32 PM

> Andy Hine has posted on the RCCGB Guestbook,
> saying Thorpe Park has planning permission for a
> new steel coaster which is NOT a Floorless.

> So, Inverted or (normal) Sit-Down?

> Graeme.

The fact is, no one except the top brass at Tussaud's
& Thorpe (& whichever manufacturer they've chosen!) will know for sure. Andy probably doesn't know all the details, they'll have just given him a few hints & told him what NOT to expect.

Re: Thorpe Park New Coaster Fact by Cal at 5/23/00 6:52:48 AM

> The fact is, no one except the top brass at
> Tussaud's
> & Thorpe (& whichever manufacturer
> they've chosen!) will know for sure. Andy
> probably doesn't know all the details, they'll
> have just given him a few hints & told him
> what NOT to expect.

If you go to the local planning office you can get heights and stuff like that. I've never been that fussed to find out but the info is there if people want to make the effort! The rumour I heard was that is was an inverter, but I guess we'll see. I'd have no problem with a Dragon Khan/Kumba or even Hulk-type sit down. That would be very cool.

Cal

Re: Thorpe Park New Coaster Fact by SkyDave at 5/23/00 6:56:11 AM

Because of the age range Thorpe seems to be aimed at right now, maybe a not quite hyper coaster is on the cards rather than a big looper, Like SeaWorld San Antonio's Steel Eel. I suppose we could sit here and dream for hours over what it could be, though.
-Dave

Re: Thorpe Park New Coaster Fact by Cal at 5/23/00 9:55:32 AM

Ignore the age range. Tussauds bought Thorpe because it had fewer planning restrictions than Chessy. Look for Chessy to become the more family orientated park and Thorpe to become Alton Towers South.

Cal

Re: Thorpe Park New Coaster Fact by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/23/00 4:28:25 PM

I don't know anything about Steel Eel, but a "not quite hyper coaster" sounds absolutely brilliant to me.

A 100-150ft, smooth, well-themed steelie would probably be my ideal non-inversion coaster.

By the way, I think kids have always ridden looping coasters. Anyway, Oblivion is MUCH scarier than Nemesis, isn't it?

Graeme.

> Because of the age range Thorpe seems to be aimed
> at right now, maybe a not quite hyper coaster is
> on the cards rather than a big looper, Like
> SeaWorld San Antonio's Steel Eel. I suppose we
> could sit here and dream for hours over what it
> could be, though.
> -Dave

Re: Thorpe Park New Coaster Fact by Lyndon at 5/23/00 7:30:59 PM

> If you go to the local planning office you can
> get heights and stuff like that. I've never been
> that fussed to find out but the info is there if
> people want to make the effort! The rumour I
> heard was that is was an inverter, but I guess
> we'll see. I'd have no problem with a Dragon
> Khan/Kumba or even Hulk-type sit down. That would
> be very cool.

> Cal

As far as I'm concerned, half the fun is guessing what your christmas present is. It's the same with 'coasters ... it's another big (100ft+) machine for the UK, and that's fine with me!
(but I hope it's a Hulk clone)

Re: Two popular B&M's by SkyDave at 5/24/00 3:58:45 AM

> By the way, I think kids have always ridden
> looping coasters. Anyway, Oblivion is MUCH
> scarier than Nemesis, isn't it?

This is all a matter of psychology - Oblivion physically isn't that intimidating (although I did bring my arms down on the first trip...) unlike Nemesis, but mentally, heck, it cannot really be compared to anything but sheer shark attack! Quick question, have you ridden both Nemesis and Oblivion on the front right hand corner? I've always found those to be the best seats on both.
-Dave

Re: Thorpe Park New Coaster Fact by Cal at 5/24/00 6:16:04 AM

> As far as I'm concerned, half the fun is guessing
> what your christmas present is. It's the same
> with 'coasters ... it's another big (100ft+)
> machine for the UK, and that's fine with me!
> (but I hope it's a Hulk clone)

I'm the same - I don't like to know what my Christmas presents are either! But of course, I'd rather find out it was something big and fast than a "family" coaster...

Cal

Re: Two popular B&M's by Cal at 5/24/00 6:19:34 AM

> This is all a matter of psychology - Oblivion
> physically isn't that intimidating (although I
> did bring my arms down on the first trip...)
> unlike Nemesis, but mentally, heck, it cannot
> really be compared to anything but sheer shark
> attack! Quick question, have you ridden both
> Nemesis and Oblivion on the front right hand
> corner? I've always found those to be the best
> seats on both.
> -Dave

I think Oblivion is more intimidating, but Nemesis is easily the better ride! I enjoyed the RCCGB's ERS on Oblivion when we could keep going round and round (I think I got about 8 or 9 goes during the hour) but I wouldn't like to queue two hours for such a short ride.
Incidentally, I prefer Oblivion's back row, simply because you get more air down the drop (you need to sit arms up and legs out in front, mind you).

Cal

Re: Seats On Nemesis/Oblivion by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/24/00 1:22:02 PM

Yes, I always make sure I ride Nemesis in the front right seat. I knew I wanted the front right seat, even before I'd ever been on it. I have to say, the left side seemed closer to the theming objects/rocks (the final inversion anyway), but I like the right, probably just because I'm right-handed.

Either way, I HAVE to be at the front of Nemesis. It may take twice as long to queue for, but if I don't, I feel I've completely wasted my time.

No, I haven't ridden Oblivion on the front-right. I won't either, as (like the Black Hole) I found the ride scary rather than exciting. I don't ride Oblivion.

And I'm just not into scares or challenges.

Graeme.

> Quick question, have you ridden both
> Nemesis and Oblivion on the front right hand
> corner? I've always found those to be the best
> seats on both.
> -Dave

Re: Two popular B&M's by SkyDave at 5/29/00 4:55:39 AM

Well, if the date for Loopathon is finally announced then I may well be along for it.