Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Short Reviews of BPB

Short Reviews of BPB

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
5/18/00 at
4:55:43 PM

Views: 713

What are your opinions of the many rides at Blackpool Pleasure Beach? Here are mine:

Zipper Dipper - boring, but it's for kids, so great.
Roller Coaster - the most rideable woodie there.
Big Dipper - Slightly Rough in '99, but a good ride.
Wild Mouse - Mouse perfection.
Grand National - Ow.
Steeplechase - Average, but I'm glad it's there.
Avalanche - Needs mountain theming.
Pepsi Max Big One - A blast, but doesn't need to be that big.

Graeme.

Re: Short Reviews of BPB by SkyDave at 5/19/00 4:40:01 AM

It seems we have pretty much the same views on this!
> Zipper Dipper - boring, but it's for kids, so
> great.
Ditto.

> Roller Coaster - the most rideable woodie there.
Ditto again.

> Big Dipper - Slightly Rough in '99, but a good
> ride.
Ditto.

> Wild Mouse - Mouse perfection.
Amen, Brother. King Solomon's Mines (formerly @ Morecambe, now at Southport) also approaches the same level.

> Grand National - Ow.
Never - did you ride it in the back? The front two cars are probably the best there. I haven't ridden it since the last car was removed, so I can't speak for it now. It doesn't help that it's probably had the most customers of any ride on the beach, if not on the face of the planet.

> Steeplechase - Average, but I'm glad it's there.
Well, this is a matter of opinion - This is one coaster which you can't ride arms up and the laterals are out of the wazoo. If you like that sort of thing great - but I don't particularly.

> Avalanche - Needs mountain theming.
Or put it in the dark like a certain coaster at Cedar Point. Definitely one of my faves on the beach, because of it's smoothness.

> Pepsi Max Big One - A blast, but doesn't need to
> be that big.
Very, Very, very scary first drop, particularly in the dark, but the ride has a severe lack of air, partially because of the 'straight' hills, and partially because of the naff Arrow restraints. And because BPB used up virtually all of it's remaining space building this monster, any 'big' new rides will have to either be built at a severe height over the top of the park (not unlike what happens to me with RCT) or underground. I presume by that big you are referring to length rather than height?

And one ride you didn't cover - Revolution.
While the beach has never had any big looping rides, this is certainly not a ride to slate off, provided the wait for it isn't too long. If you can look out of the side while travelling through the loop - it is unbelieveably disorienting.

Re: Short Reviews of BPB by Fraser Fraser Profile at 5/19/00 5:52:47 AM

Roller Coaster - I agree. I love this ride. The cars are like giant restraint-free sofas, the operator frequently lets you round twice because of lack of queues and it's only a B ticket ride. Much better than the ...

Big Dipper - this ride really hurt my coxyx last time I rode it. They need new rubber on the wheels.

Big One - Good first drop then one long disappointment. Why no more steeply angled drops or humpbacks???

Avalanche - fun but too short.

Revolution - like an espresso coffee. Short and sharp. Wakes you up.

Wild Mouse - Eek. Scary and sore.

Grand National - THE BEST. I've never suffered pain on this ride. Lots of airtime (always go on later in the day when it's had time to warm up.)

Steeplechase - a bit of a knee trembler in my opinion. Is scarier than it looks.

Space Invader - total pants. Knock this down and built us an inverted.

AND BRING BACK THE REEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alice's adventures in wonderland - a horrifying, terrrifying, airtime -filled extravaganza.

Re: Short Reviews of BPB by Cal at 5/19/00 6:17:33 AM

OK, here goes:

Roller Coaster - I too like this ride a lot. Best fun if you ride sideways, backwards or upside down! (But don't stand up, eh?)

Big Dipper - the first time I rode this I was in the back seat next to a large-built guy of 6'2" so the lap bar was way higher than it should have been for me, and I was just catapulted over the first two drops. Unfortunately this isn't pleasant airtime - it's just painful and when you land it feels like your spine is being rammed up into your skull. I always feel this ride is too short - it ends just as you start enjoying it.

The Big One - The only first drop that consistantly unsettles me, thanks to the angle. The left back seat is terrifying! After that, though, it's marginally more exciting than the monorail, although I've become rather fond of the old thing.

Avalanche - I like this ride but it is short. But then, all bobsled rides are on the short side and this is just about the best one I've done. The Intamin bobsleds have sharp break runs between the bends and you always bang your knees up.

Revolution - I never get used to this ride. That drop out of the station never feels to give me belly.

Wild Mouse - I love this ride. In the wet, it's completely out of control and feels like it could derail at any moment. A bit painful in places but it never fails to make me squeal (something I don't do much on coasters these days).

Grand National - The back is painful even with the shortened trains. That first double drop is brutal. I do like this ride but it's very moody - some times it's brilliant and other times it can be a real pig.

Steeplechase - a silly ride but it's one of a kind and I do enjoy it.

Space Invader - this is OK but if they added spinning cars like on the StarWorld coaster which tours the German fairs, it would be a lot more fun!.

Zipper Dipper - it's a woodie so it has to be ridden. Small but a nice ride for kids.

Alice's adventures in wonderland - I loved this as a kid and still enjoy it now, even if it does smelly funny inside. I always sing the tune as I go round. Why they chose "I've got a golden ticket" from the Willy Wonka movie I'll never know.
(Actually I like all the dark rides there, however cheesy).

The log flume - I rode this once as a child. But since I'm normally at Blackpool in October or November, it's usually too cold - and the water looks filthy. I think they should get rid of it now Valhalla is here, and put an inverter in its place.

Cal

Re: Reply by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/19/00 2:17:28 PM

(Mouse)
> Amen, Brother. King Solomon's Mines (formerly @
> Morecambe, now at Southport) also approaches the
> same level.

I'm looking forward to trying this one, but I hear it's taking a long time to re-construct. I'll go in 2001.

(Grand National)
> Never - did you ride it in the back? The front
> two cars are probably the best there. I haven't
> ridden it since the last car was removed, so I
> can't speak for it now. It doesn't help that it's
> probably had the most customers of any ride on
> the beach, if not on the face of the planet.

I rode it in the front seat of the back car, left and right tracks (I had to cover the whole ride - it wasn't THAT bad).

(Big One)
> Very, Very, very scary first drop, particularly
> in the dark, but the ride has a severe lack of
> air, partially because of the 'straight' hills,
> and partially because of the naff Arrow
> restraints. And because BPB used up virtually all
> of it's remaining space building this monster,
> any 'big' new rides will have to either be built
> at a severe height over the top of the park (not
> unlike what happens to me with RCT) or
> underground. I presume by that big you are
> referring to length rather than height?

Hmm, maybe height, maybe length. I think any coaster with a mid-course brake-run is too tall. It's to do with efficiency. I mean, I don't like it when a first drop gives you more speed than you need for the length of track. Well, obviously all coasters waste speed at the station brake-run, but that's different.

It creates a first half much better than the last half, if you know what I mean.

Graeme.

Re: Reply by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/19/00 2:46:20 PM

> Big Dipper - the first time I rode this I was in
> the back seat next to a large-built guy of
> 6'2" so the lap bar was way higher than it
> should have been for me, and I was just
> catapulted over the first two drops.
> Unfortunately this isn't pleasant airtime - it's
> just painful and when you land it feels like your
> spine is being rammed up into your skull. I
> always feel this ride is too short - it ends just
> as you start enjoying it.

At 6'3", I'm usually larger than my riding companions, but yes, it's the landing that does it. The bases of the drops could be smoother.

> The Big One - The only first drop that
> consistantly unsettles me, thanks to the angle.
> The left back seat is terrifying! After that,
> though, it's marginally more exciting than the
> monorail, although I've become rather fond of the
> old thing.

But even the first drop isn't really scary is it? Not compared to Oblivion, anyway.

> Wild Mouse - I love this ride. In the wet, it's
> completely out of control and feels like it could
> derail at any moment. A bit painful in places but
> it never fails to make me squeal (something I
> don't do much on coasters these days).

That's funny, because I don't squeal either!

> The log flume - I rode this once as a child. But
> since I'm normally at Blackpool in October or
> November, it's usually too cold - and the water
> looks filthy. I think they should get rid of it
> now Valhalla is here, and put an inverter in its
> place.

Could not agree more. Well, not unless swing coasters were still viable...

Graeme.

Re: Reply by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/19/00 2:56:13 PM

> Big Dipper - this ride really hurt my coxyx last
> time I rode it. They need new rubber on the
> wheels.

What about replacing the steel rails? Would that help? I really don't know.

> Big One - Good first drop then one long
> disappointment. Why no more steeply angled drops
> or humpbacks???

The Big One cost so much, I can only assume BPB wanted something that the whole family would re-ride. It wouldn't be so bad if it kept the speed up, but no, it crawls over the 2nd hill.

> Steeplechase - a bit of a knee trembler in my
> opinion. Is scarier than it looks.

I hit a bush on this. Really.

> Space Invader - total pants. Knock this down and
> built us an inverted.

Yup, but I think Cal's right about building it over the pool!

> AND BRING BACK THE REEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are loads of people who like nostalgia, and a Reel could be built better nowadays, no doubt.

Graeme.

Re: Short Reviews of BPB by d n s u at 5/20/00 9:49:18 AM

Nice to see everyone loves the Roller Coaster - Truly a classic amongst classics - Even the recorded voice as you climb the first hill has left an everlasting impression on me.."do not stand up..do not stand up..."

Re: The Roller Coaster BPB by Fraser Fraser Profile at 5/20/00 2:29:25 PM

> Nice to see everyone loves the Roller Coaster -
> Truly a classic amongst classics - Even the
> recorded voice as you climb the first hill has
> left an everlasting impression on me.."do
> not stand up..do not stand up..."

These messages make me so happy! I always feel so sorry for the Roller Coaster tucked away with hardly any queues.
It's a classic, and should be mightily praised. OK it's short, the dips aren't steep and it's not particularly fast. But the lack of restraints and comfy high-backed padded cars make it a total joy to ride. It even smells historic. And the entrance hall is FAB.

Re: The Roller Coaster BPB by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/20/00 2:53:18 PM

They make me happy as well! It's nice to express myself. Most of my friends couldn't care less about roller coasters.

Anyone who goes to Blackpool, with good sense, makes sure they ride all the woodies. I think more people appreciate woodies, than we realise.

Yes the Roller Coaster station is brilliant. It's like stepping back in time. I also like Big Dipper's and Grand National's (exterior).

Graeme.

> These messages make me so happy! I always feel so
> sorry for the Roller Coaster tucked away with
> hardly any queues.
> It's a classic, and should be mightily praised.
> OK it's short, the dips aren't steep and it's not
> particularly fast. But the lack of restraints and
> comfy high-backed padded cars make it a total joy
> to ride. It even smells historic. And the
> entrance hall is FAB.

Re: Reply by SkyDave at 5/21/00 5:38:48 PM

> Hmm, maybe height, maybe length. I think any
> coaster with a mid-course brake-run is too tall.
> It's to do with efficiency. I mean, I don't like
> it when a first drop gives you more speed than
> you need for the length of track. Well, obviously
> all coasters waste speed at the station
> brake-run, but that's different.

> It creates a first half much better than the last
> half, if you know what I mean.

You've got a point there, but most of the "big" rides out there unfortunately are heavily braked mid-course. Even so, I love most of the big multi-loopers despite mid-course brakes (Alpengeist, and Montu come to mind).The Big One, in particular, though is very wasteful, seen as only the first drop provides a genuinely intense experience. And if get to compare it to Millenium Force or Goliath (hopefully this summer) which are currently running unbraked, if I'm not mistaken, then with only two exceptions, the steel at BPB will verge on the Off-Limits for me.

Re: The Roller Coaster BPB by Cal at 5/22/00 7:29:14 AM

> They make me happy as well! It's nice to express
> myself. Most of my friends couldn't care less
> about roller coasters.

> Anyone who goes to Blackpool, with good sense,
> makes sure they ride all the woodies. I think
> more people appreciate woodies, than we realise.

> Yes the Roller Coaster station is brilliant. It's
> like stepping back in time. I also like Big
> Dipper's and Grand National's (exterior).

> Graeme.

When I introduce someone to Blackpool, I make sure they ride all the woodie, including Zipper Dipper! They are all worthy rides. Roller Coaster is a great ride to introduce newbies to - it's gentle and fun and smooth!

Cal