Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Pleasure Beach Blackpool TR 16-FEB-08

Pleasure Beach Blackpool TR 16-FEB-08

Posted: 2/18/08 at 5:27:39 AM
Views: 2739

Busy, busy, busy, I'd last visited Pleasure Beach Blackpool on August bank holiday last year which not only was a public holiday but the day the infamous Blackpool illuminations were switched on, now I thought the park was busy that day . . . but it was nothing compared to my February visit to the plesh, I've genuinely never seen the park so crowded

Photobucket

The place was rammed, queues all the way down the staircase of revolution, then out the cattle pen at the bottom! Queues all the way along infusions pier and up the staircase, along to big dipper, queues for big dipper oddly spilling into the neighbouring restaurant . . . the place was jammed packed with people, even though its only February!

The park was open 12noon to 8pm, wristbands were a bargain at £16 on the gate or as we'd booked in advance online a real snatch at only £11, no half-assed half term openings in blackpool, the park was running at full steam with the exception of ghost train, mouse and monorail all closed for refurbishment

The gate opened at 11am, After claiming our wristbands we rushed straight to Infusion, at this point nothing was supposed to open for an hour but at least all the rides were test running, after just 40mins they opened Infusion we climbed through that strange shop/entrance malarkey down the staircase along the pier and got the second train out of the morning right on the back seats, very smooth ride, there's a slight jarring in the final turn and that bizarre wiggle into the break run section but the inversions are all worryingly (for an SLC) too smooth!

Photobucket

Visually the ride is stunning, the demise of Southport was unforgivable but as it can't be undone now, Infusion is a nice addition to Blackpool and is working well to secure the parks future, as it seems to have done the trick of getting the crowds back in the park

After the first ride the queue for Infusion was all the way back in Preston, definitely a good decision to go to this ride first, we ventured round the park attempting to do things but were put off by the excessive queues, the Big One still hadn't opened at this point, so "nerr nerr" to the people that had rushed there first, took a ride on Steeple chase which had no queue and all 3 lanes running – again no half assed half term at plesh, actually 3 tracks is something I haven’t seen in the main season for a long while!

Took a ride on Valhalla which is still legally too wet! There were a lot of effects fully working, some were missing and the drops are now illuminated, which is kind of a shame as the pitch black descents always induced a great amount of fear, to be northern and get our moneys worth from the ponchos we rode it again! The ponchos are necessary wear for Valhalla and unlike a certain uk chain they are very reasonably priced at a quid, we joked that the level of effects turned on in the ride is relative to poncho sales, I'll have to plot the graph to illustrate this theory

The human dryers are also reasonable value at only a quid too, despite their affordability some big burly northern oik gate crashed our go with his child, "excuse me wait your turn" didn't have any affect, oh well at least we hadn't had to remortgage to afford a go like we would at Alton or Thorpe

To avoid the massive queues we enjoyed "Josie Derby" Racer, Super Bowl dodgems, Noahs Ark, Impossible, Zipper Dipper and the sadly tamed down Magic Mountain

Photobucket

Eventually around 5pm things started to quiten down in all fairness the staff were running the rides as efficiently as possible and the queues did budge up quite a lot – fallen in love with Big Dipper again, its broken in since its re-tracking last season and is running more like its old self again which is fantastic news

Photobucket

National was as insane as ever and Roller Coaster was olly good fun too, I notice there’s some old big dipper/ cyclone/texas tornado trains in the station which are been roller coaster branded up – it'd be a shame to loose the current retro trains the ride is running, even though I know they're not currently the original trains, they certainly help make the ride more quirky and fun

Photobucket

Final picture here is of the extensive work been carried out on Wild Mouse, in the past few years the Pleasure Beach has really cleaned up its act, I think its very admirable and hasn't cost the park its classic charm, like the sterile modernisation of Kennywood, so good show and despite the crowds you cant help but have a good time at Blackpool

HighExtreme

Re: Pleasure Beach Blackpool TR 16-FEB-08 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/20/08 10:28:01 AM

> Visually the ride is stunning, the demise of Southport
> was unforgivable but as it can't be undone now, Infusion is
> a nice addition to Blackpool and is working well to secure
> the parks future, as it seems to have done the trick of
> getting the crowds back in the park

You're right, it's a good ride in its own right. Traumatizer (and Cyclone) was an essential part of all my trips up to Blackpool. I think any apathy towards it is down to three factors:

1) Pleasureland/Cyclone (like you say)
2) Expectations dashed of a genuinely new ride (eg. Mack water coaster)
3) It's not actually new.

Personally, it's the last one that fuels my own apathy. It's the equivalent of Dragon's Fury moving to Thorpe Park - it'd still be a good ride, but nothing people in the area couldn't have ridden before. However, you're quite right to say it has been a good move for the Pleasure Beach. Not everyone seemed to visit it when it was at Southport ...sigh!

> to be northern and get our moneys worth
> from the ponchos we rode it again!

LOL!

> The human dryers are also reasonable value at only a quid
> too, despite their affordability some big burly northern
> oik gate crashed our go with his child, "excuse me
> wait your turn" didn't have any affect, oh well at
> least we hadn't had to remortgage to afford a go like we
> would at Alton or Thorpe

Flippin' heck, how rude! That's worse than the aggro I had with a Scotsman at Great Yarmouth!

> and the sadly tamed down Magic Mountain

In that it's now politically correct, or less scary?

> Final picture here is of the extensive work been carried
> out on Wild Mouse, in the past few years the Pleasure Beach
> has really cleaned up its act, I think its very admirable
> and hasn't cost the park its classic charm, like the
> sterile modernisation of Kennywood, so good show and
> despite the crowds you cant help but have a good time at
> Blackpool

Reminds me of its 1999 refurb - they seem to really take care of it every 10 years or so.

I must say, all the evidence suggests that the current owners do care about the Pleasure Beach at the moment. They were just unscrupulous with Southport.

Anyway, great TR and pictures as always - I'm going to copy your style for my next one!

Re: Pleasure Beach Blackpool TR 16-FEB-08 by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/20/08 2:37:18 PM

Great TR and I've got to go here.

Is the Wild Mouse just getting a makeover or is that major work going on? Is that typical to put it behind construction walls like that?

Re: Pleasure Beach Blackpool TR 16-FEB-08 by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 2/20/08 5:11:08 PM

Awesome review there. Great reading! I have been to a couple of the cheap wknds before but would not go again as the queues were so horrendous and were full of queue jumping kids. Apparently the queues for the first weekend this season were quiet, only 20 mins wait for most rides.

Eric, my sources in Blackie say the Wild Mouse is getting some essential work and probably won't be open until June at the earliest. I'm guessing that it's probably a re-tracking.

Chris.

Re: Pleasure Beach Blackpool TR 16-FEB-08 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/21/08 11:30:17 AM

> Is the Wild Mouse just getting a makeover or is that major
> work going on? Is that typical to put it behind
> construction walls like that?

I should think it's just a retracking, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was slight reprofiling here and there. In the 1999 videotape "Coaster Crazy", the late Geoffrey Thompson says how the Mouse had just been retracked and was a smoother and better ride for it.

Personally, I was one year too late to actually see the last retracking, but I should think the walls are just because the track reaches the far walls of the structure, a bit like a cage.

Re: Pleasure Beach Blackpool TR 16-FEB-08 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 2/26/08 2:48:54 PM

I agree that Infusion is visually stunning. I like the paint job, and the course over water is really neat. That's about all the good I can say about an SLC, but, like other rides, I love how they used a shoe horn to make it fit.

- Pat-O

Re: Pleasure Beach Blackpool TR 16-FEB-08 by andy777 at 2/26/08 4:51:53 PM

i think in realty the pleasure beach has been declining for years now with a good 80% of the rides feeling dated to say the least.
if they are going to put them selves in the theme park bracket then the park has along way to go before it can be thought of in the same league as alton and thorpe et al.
the thing that made it so apealling is the free entry amusement park pick and choose what you want aspect.
as for the security/chav problem ,i dont know about you but i seem to remember it allways being like that .
the theme parks provide constant investment year on year something blackpool most certainly doesnt or at least in major rides.
barring last year the last major investment was valhalla which was some 8/9 years ago .
if you got a food vouchers and /or one ride of your choice it might seem like alot sweeter deal.

Re: Pleasure Beach Blackpool TR 16-FEB-08 by andy777 at 2/26/08 4:53:46 PM

whoops, ive posted this on the wrong page

Re: Pleasure Beach Blackpool TR 16-FEB-08 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/26/08 5:46:06 PM

That's all true.

Do you feel Valhalla and the Big One were too big, expensive and maintenance-heavy? That's the way I feel. In fact, Infusion is definitely in-line with the sort of thing I'd build.

> i think in realty the pleasure beach has been declining for
> years now with a good 80% of the rides feeling dated to say
> the least.
> if they are going to put them selves in the theme park
> bracket then the park has along way to go before it can be
> thought of in the same league as alton and thorpe et al.
> the thing that made it so apealling is the free entry
> amusement park pick and choose what you want aspect.
> as for the security/chav problem ,i dont know about you but
> i seem to remember it allways being like that .
> the theme parks provide constant investment year on year
> something blackpool most certainly doesnt or at least in
> major rides.
> barring last year the last major investment was valhalla
> which was some 8/9 years ago .

Re: Pleasure Beach Blackpool TR 16-FEB-08 by andy777 at 3/5/08 3:21:35 PM

there kind of like blackpool trying to be flashy rather than good solid high quality rides with imagination .