Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What Was Your Favourite Camera?

What Was Your Favourite Camera?

Posted: 2/17/08 at 12:38:26 PM
Views: 1693

I know a lot of us have taken photos of roller coasters over the years. Looking back at my photos the other day, I began to think about what cameras I'd used over the years.

Personally, I was most fond of my Fuji Fotonex 250ix, which was an APS camera. Oh, how I loved APS. As a child, my photos always seemed small and blurry. But then, in the 90s, the APS cartridge system became available. Suddenly I was getting back large, sharp, solid and colourful prints, some of them panoramic.

I started just photographing East Anglian locations: Clacton, Walton etc; then Great Yarmouth in 1998 for my first of many "photo visits" there!

Then I took the camera all over the country, including my 1999 tour of Lincolnshire and Lancashire, which included Fantasy Island, Pleasure Island, Pleasureland and Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

For the next few years, I took the camera to Oakwood, Alton Towers and Dreamland, Margate.

Looking back at these prints, they are more important to me than anything I've taken since with my digital camera. In my mind I know digital cameras are "better", but there was just something special about my old APS... :)

Re: What Was Your Favourite Camera? by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 2/17/08 1:14:16 PM

It would have to be my Olympus OM10. I bought that baby second hand with a large lens, to go to the Fairford Air Tattoo in '96. For an amateur, I took some fantastic shots and on slides, they look the biz.

I do love the convenience of digital cameras (and especially my camera phone). You can't beat taking a shot in a jiffy and then uploading and emailing photos but for sheer quality, my OM10 has never been bettered.

Re: What Was Your Favourite Camera? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/17/08 2:17:31 PM

> It would have to be my Olympus OM10. I bought that baby
> second hand with a large lens, to go to the Fairford Air
> Tattoo in '96. For an amateur, I took some fantastic shots
> and on slides, they look the biz.

Is that a 35mm SLR?

I've been using a digital camera solid for at least five years now. I love coming back and putting a hi-res pic as my desktop wallpaper.

Re: What Was Your Favourite Camera? by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 2/17/08 4:30:51 PM

I believe it is indeed a 35mm slr, my good man. IMHO, manual cameras still give a better print than digital. But of course, you can't have the convenience that digital photography affords you.

Occassionally I work as a projectionist at my local cinema and can say hand on heart that the image from a 35mm film provides much better colour depth and definition than any dvd I have watched. I will add though, that I have not seen Blu Ray or HD DVD in action, yet.

Re: What Was Your Favourite Camera? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/17/08 4:49:45 PM

> Occassionally I work as a projectionist at my local cinema
> and can say hand on heart that the image from a 35mm film
> provides much better colour depth and definition than any
> dvd I have watched. I will add though, that I have not seen
> Blu Ray or HD DVD in action, yet.

Oh yes, absolutely!

I did buy a 35mm camera once, because I knew the "resolution" (for want of a better word) was better than APS. However, I never did use it much. Always preferred my old APS!

Re: What Was Your Favourite Camera? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/20/08 2:39:24 PM

> Occassionally I work as a projectionist at my local cinema
> and can say hand on heart that the image from a 35mm film
> provides much better colour depth and definition than any
> dvd I have watched. I will add though, that I have not seen
> Blu Ray or HD DVD in action, yet.

The picture quality of 35mm film so long as its clean and free of scratches is still superior to HD. Be thankful that you're local cinema hasn't gone to digital projection. It's a downgrade.

As for a camera, my favorite is my Canon Digital Rebel. I used to shoot with a Canon Rebel with Advantix film. Digital is so much easier and I love the fact that I don't need to get prints made.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: What Was Your Favourite Camera? by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 2/20/08 5:24:32 PM

I can't see my local cinema investing in Digital as they are only a very small chain and do not have the money to get digital projectors. As we agree, the print quality of 35mm film is much better.

I do love the convenience of digital photography though. I love having my camera phone to hand for a spontaneous snap that I can quickly upload to my pc, when required. It's a convenient age, in which we live!

Re: What Was Your Favourite Camera? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/21/08 1:33:23 PM

I too used to work in a cinema. Not as a projectionist, but I did carry those huge reels of film about. Obviously, it's very high quality if it can be enlarged like that. I'm very pro-HD, but I accept it's an improvement in home entertainment, not cinema.

I don't know why, but I always enjoyed getting my APS (24mm) prints back more than my 35mm. The exposures always seemed better, probably just because my APS camera was better than my 35mm (which wasn't an SLR).

The other factor is that it was so easy to get large, panoramic photos. I've got some nice ones of Millennium Coaster, Scenic Railway (Margate) and others.

Re: What Was Your Favourite Camera? by Cal at 2/28/08 9:59:57 AM

My favourite camera was a Sony Cybershot I got for Christmas (06). Unfortunately I forgot to zip my pocket on Stealth and it and I parted ways. I found it under the top hat, and although it didn't survive the 205 foot fall, it was sufficiently in tact that I was able to retrieve the photos from it.
I managed to get an identical model second-hand, which I'm still using.

Re: What Was Your Favourite Camera? by d_n_s_u at 3/2/08 5:43:24 AM

I have always carried my Olympus Trip around with me everywhere.

Practical and sentimental reasons.

I don't particularly like perfection in photographs (Probably because I have never achieved it and because I never will)and digital images eat too much webspace as far as I'm concerned..

I just like it and will continue to use it as long as I can.

I inherited a super 8 Cine Camera and projector amongst other interesting items from my late father recently.

Sadly the (Swiss?) firm who make and develop the film have stopped doing so - and only some months back.

I'm going to search the net..2008 Parks seen thru' a Cine 8 lens...Sounds great!!

themagiceye