Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Brighton Pier TR 27-JAN-08

Brighton Pier TR 27-JAN-08

Posted: 2/5/08 at 10:24:53 PM
Views: 2852

Photobucket

Brighton Pier and its white and yellow painted contraptions are not a recommend recovery from a transatlantic flight, none the less my better half swayed me to tread the boards, £20 for an unlimited wristband is something of a bargain and hard to refuse

Photobucket

The pier is the most fiendish setting for a booster and super booster possible, having these ominous cranes teetering on the edge of a plank jutting out above the choppy turquoise waters below cranks up the intimidation factor to unfathomable levels

Its evil genius, the booster is just bizarre seeing the sky above, then the sea comes into view upside down before you flip for a face down view of the sea then the pier rushing towards you, it’s a spectacular vision, it really attracts the spectators, all you can see from high up are the little people far below, craning their necks, looking up in awe

Super Booster takes the intimidation to the next level, as you slowly rise up, extending outwards over the edge of the pier, in a standing position with your legs dangling free above the sea, the chunky restraint provides a reassuring feeling of security, though the structure has a sense of unsteadiness as it withstands the battering from the boisterous coastal breeze, you click into position then very suddenly swing downwards at an incredible speed, a very different and exhilarating rush all together

Photobucket

Haunted Hotel is the newest ride, with a very smart themed façade, unfortunately the interior doesn’t match upto the quality of the exterior a lengthy ghost train with some interesting tricks and a steep spiral climb, unfortunately they only had one car available ensuring a lengthy wait

Also new is a very clean contemporary food court inside the far most dome structure, very reasonably priced, nice to see the pier modernising itself, the jetlag, spinning and boosting were making me feel all at sea, so this was a welcome stop throughout the day, sadly I didn’t have the stomach for the fish and chips at the end of the pier which on previous visits have been a delicious tradition

Photobucket

Overall a nice day out, the pier was quite busy for a very crisp day in january but nice to see it running full steam in the winter and still packing the punters in

HighExtreme

Re: Brighton Pier TR 27-JAN-08 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/6/08 8:26:20 AM

> £20 for an unlimited wristband is
> something of a bargain and hard to refuse

Does that include the Booster and Super Booster? Wow!

> Super Booster takes the intimidation to the next level, as
> you slowly rise up, extending outwards over the edge of the
> pier, in a standing position with your legs dangling free
> above the sea, the chunky restraint provides a reassuring
> feeling of security, though the structure has a sense of
> unsteadiness as it withstands the battering from the
> boisterous coastal breeze, you click into position then
> very suddenly swing downwards at an incredible speed, a
> very different and exhilarating rush all together

The funny thing is, I'd like to ride this!

Around the time of New Year's Eve, there was a programme on BBC2 called "Three Men in Another Boat", about a trip from the Thames to Cowes (on the Isle of Wight). They stopped at Brighton Pier, one of them saw the Super Booster (I think it was Griff Rhys Jones) and something like "I'm going on that!"

They didn't show him on it though. ;)

PS - Love the pic of the Crazy Mouse track.

Re: Brighton Pier TR 27-JAN-08 by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 2/6/08 9:44:35 AM

> Does that include the Booster and Super Booster? Wow!

Yes the wristband includes both the Booster and Super Booster, one ride on each and you've more or less got your moneys worth already!

I really admire the pier, everything is freshly painted and the overall atmosphere is quite safe and professional far cry from the stereotyped image of seedy seaside amusements of years past

> stopped at Brighton Pier, one of them saw the Super Booster
> (I think it was Griff Rhys Jones) and something like
> "I'm going on that!"
> They didn't show him on it though. ;)

I'm sad i missed this program i really enjoyed the first one :)

HighExtreme

Re: Brighton Pier TR 27-JAN-08 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/6/08 11:57:29 AM

> I really admire the pier, everything is freshly painted and
> the overall atmosphere is quite safe and professional far
> cry from the stereotyped image of seedy seaside amusements
> of years past

I totally agree with you, although it seems to me that most piers are not really run-down or seedy at the moment (going by Clacton and Walton, and of course the four piers of "Pants & Piers"!)

The reason Brighton Pier's so exceptional is they've invested in really good ride equipment. It's a real shame the others can't do so, as there's nothing quite like being on a pier.

> I'm sad i missed this program i really enjoyed the first
> one :)

Yeah, sorry, it never crossed my mind they'd stop off at an amusement pier. Maybe they'll do a double-DVD set.

Re: Brighton Pier TR 27-JAN-08 by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/6/08 12:03:08 PM

Another great trip report. Thank you for sharing.

These reports are making me want to fly across the pond to visit the parks in Europe.

Eric

Re: Brighton Pier TR 27-JAN-08 by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/7/08 1:24:07 PM

Was the booster included in the unlimited wristband? I've never seen one of those types of attractions included in a wristband before.

Eric

Re: Brighton Pier TR 27-JAN-08 by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 2/7/08 2:05:45 PM

> Was the booster included in the unlimited wristband? I've
> never seen one of those types of attractions included in a
> wristband before.

Yep, both Booster and Super Booster (air diver) were included, it's great value as the wristbands are only £20 ($40)

If you pay for the rides by individual tokens they're £8 each

HighExtreme