Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Will 2008 Be a Year to Forget?

Will 2008 Be a Year to Forget?

nick_fanta
Posted: 2/3/08 at 10:37:55 AM
Views: 2068

hi folks,
after the spectacular events that got wiped out at yarmouth and pleasurewood last year
i was wondering what we have to look forward to this year at these parks.
rapids dont look promising at PWH much talked about but will they ever apear?
will the put anything new in PWH this year or will they ride on wipeout (hopefully now working properly ie full capacity and auto release on the head restraints and painted).
and as for yarmouth where is this wheel
where is this cinema complex at the end of the park
they have sent some on the log flume track again this year to be replaced, but when will they get something to get us excited about?
i fear for this park becouse if PWH does what has benn promised we could see it close

instead of doing the trip to yarmouth we have started to travel up to Pleasure Island just past skeggy,
the kids enjoyed this more

Nick

Re: Will 2008 Be a Year to Forget? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/3/08 12:37:12 PM

Yes, it will be a poor year for new rides (in the UK). I hate myself moaning all the time, but since you've brought it up, I must agree with you.

Only a few days ago I actually searched for "(park name) + 2008" and I found a few things, but nothing for Pleasurewood or Pleasure Island.

That said, we've only just found out about Flamingo Land's Top Swing, which will be the best ride of the year (apart from Over the Hill, which is "apples and oranges").

> i fear for this park becouse if PWH does what has benn
> promised we could see it close

I wouldn't worry about Pleasurewood Hills overshadowing the Pleasure Beach. Nothing has been promised for either park.

I remember a good few years ago, Andy Hine posted on the Crazy Gangs board something like "2008 - That'll be a Good Year". Presumably a few woodies were planned. I'm not having a go at Andy Hine at all (I respect him), but it just goes to show how many coaster plans go wrong.

Re: Will 2008 Be a Year to Forget? by andyb andyb Profile at 2/9/08 10:39:00 AM

Waveney Dristict Council are looking to sell off some of its 'assets', which includes the land which PWH occupies.

They have said they would look to sell it to the park, so perhaps any cash for new rides will be tied up there. Hope not.

I would've hoped for something new this year.

Re: Pleasurewood Land For Sale by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 2/9/08 10:49:29 AM

> Waveney Dristict Council are looking to sell off some of
> its 'assets', which includes the land which PWH occupies.

This news surprises me and is maybe the reason behind why CdA have only invested relatively modest amounts in Pleasurewood Hills

> They have said they would look to sell it to the park, so
> perhaps any cash for new rides will be tied up there. Hope
> not.

This is slightly worrying, Compagnie des Alpes have shown they aren't willing to invest great amounts in their regional theme parks, the sale of Panorama-Park a good example of this

I think its very unlikely they'll opt to buy the land themselves, very worring stuff

HighExtreme

Re: Pleasurewood Land For Sale by andyb andyb Profile at 2/9/08 11:38:39 AM

Old news now, but heres the story:

* This Post Has Been Modified *

* This Post Has Been Modified *

EDP Story

Re: Pleasurewood Land For Sale by andyb andyb Profile at 2/9/08 11:44:10 AM

I. Hate. Computers.

Try This:

http://new.edp24.co.uk/search/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&itemid=NOED30%20Nov%202007%2008:29:42:350&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=search

Re: Pleasurewood Land For Sale by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/9/08 12:04:35 PM

> This is slightly worrying, Compagnie des Alpes have shown
> they aren't willing to invest great amounts in their
> regional theme parks, the sale of Panorama-Park a good
> example of this

> I think its very unlikely they'll opt to buy the land
> themselves, very worring stuff

I was going to thoroughly agree with you (and I still do), but I clicked the link and was surprised the total land Waveney want to sell off is estimated at only £2.1m. Presumably, Pleasurewood Hills would cost even less than that.

I think PWH would be very affordable to any operator who had a real commitment to Pleasurewood Hills. Unfortunately, I don't think CDA does. What's to stop them buying it then selling it on, like Panorama Park (as you mention)?

I'd much rather the park was sold to a better operator. Could they draw up a contract so that whoever owns the land, it must be used as a theme park?

Re: Will 2008 Be a Year to Forget? by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 2/9/08 3:20:34 PM

CDA announced that they want to have a 'Walibi World' of the UK, and Pleasurewood is the only park they own in the UK, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!

And to be honest, I wouldn't expect Pleasurewood to get anything new for this year, they'll be able to live off of Wipeout's success for a second year, just like Thorpe Park did with Stealth.

Re: Pleasurewood Land For Sale by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 2/9/08 4:37:58 PM

> Waveney want to sell off is estimated at only £2.1m.
> Presumably, Pleasurewood Hills would cost even less than
> that.

Very true didn't they spend that much on the main street re-theme, it's kind of funny that in that article the council say selling the land off will enable PWH to " . . . secure their future by allowing them to develop. We are looking to ensure they maintain their presence." Yet they wouldn't give them planning permission to build Wipeout, they had to really fight to get it up

> I think PWH would be very affordable to any operator who
> had a real commitment to Pleasurewood Hills. Unfortunately,
> I don't think CDA does. What's to stop them buying it then
> selling it on, like Panorama Park (as you mention)?

It is kind of generous of the council to sell them the land on its value as an attraction, I'm sure the land is worth considerably more for housing developments

> they'll be able to live off of Wipeout's success for a second
> year, just like Thorpe Park did with Stealth.

This is kind of a shame as Wipeout was very delayed, the park would benefit greatly from a true signature coaster, a very modest 85-100ft intamin mega coaster with a mostly out n back layout would do wonders to give the park the unique selling point it needs – by keeping it small scale, lots of low to the ground helixes in between a few well paced airtime hills, hopefully it'd be more likely to receive planning permission

ABC rapids would be another great investment for them, but they'd have to finish it well with some attempt at themeing to give the ride a personality

> I'd much rather the park was sold to a better operator.
> Could they draw up a contract so that whoever owns the
> land, it must be used as a theme park?

The Haddens seem to be the most committed owners the park had, but maybe I've been a touch harsh on CDA after all as soon as they arrived they kicked out the rides which were rented from the showman, painted everything, added the nautical tint of themeing and generally smarted up the advertising/branding of the park

personally the only small, slight, minuscule mistake is the naming of some of the rides "merry go straight" "mellow yellow" "enigma" and "whizzy dizzy" are just odd names and don't really do the rides justice or make them understandable to people who haven't visited the park before . . i do like "snake in the grass" though :)

HighExtreme

Re: Pleasurewood Land For Sale by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 2/10/08 3:30:11 PM

^ I do agree with you, to a limit! I dont mind the name Engima, but I think Snake in the Grass is plain silly!

But the other names like Sky Hooks, Mellow Yellow, Whizzy Dizzy, Wave Breaker and Merry go straight are just stupid beyond belief!

But IMO CDA have improved the park greatly, with the smaller things that generally go un-noticed, like the cleaning up of the rides, and the park in general. I really liked the fact they totally disappove of the 'travelling' ride look, like when they covered up the frame base of Mouse Trap and Engima, to make them look like permanent structures!

One other thing, I think PWH now has their best ever logo, I love it and I'm so glad they changed the name back to Pleasurewood Hills, New PWH was just stupid! Just a bad marketing ploy!

Re: Pleasurewood Land For Sale by brad brad Profile at 2/11/08 5:14:29 AM

I agree with all of you.
The renames of the rides were ridiculous, but to be fair,because they are so stupid....they are easier to remember!! ... it was probably what they were going for.

Wipeout was a great buy. I went there shortly after it opened and it was a great hit for everybody.
However, i have got to say that "tales of the coast" is by far the worst dark ride i have ever been on.
I defintely think they need another dark ride, like a haunted house or something like that.

I totally agree that an intamin mega would make the park stand out so much. If not, they should bring the xpress ride from walibi world over here. Yeah its nothing special, but i think, if advertised well, this would defintely draw in the crowds a lot because people will think of it as a rita in the east of anglia (or rock 'n' rollercoaster of UK).

I think the clean up albeit expensive, was a very good idea and i agree that the park logo is much better bthan what it used to be.

Brad

Re: Pleasurewood Land For Sale by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/11/08 8:27:14 AM

Beast:
> they'll be able to live off of Wipeout's success for a
> second
> year, just like Thorpe Park did with Stealth.

Very true. I couldn't criticise them for no new rides this year. Hopefully, Wipeout was a success.

> This is kind of a shame as Wipeout was very delayed, the
> park would benefit greatly from a true signature coaster, a
> very modest 85-100ft intamin mega coaster with a mostly out
> n back layout would do wonders to give the park the unique
> selling point it needs – by keeping it small scale, lots
> of low to the ground helixes in between a few well paced
> airtime hills, hopefully it'd be more likely to receive
> planning permission

Totally agree.

> ABC rapids would be another great investment for them, but
> they'd have to finish it well with some attempt at themeing
> to give the ride a personality

I agree if it was the slide version, but not a normal rapids like at Legoland.

> The Haddens seem to be the most committed owners the park
> had, but maybe I've been a touch harsh on CDA after all as
> soon as they arrived they kicked out the rides which were
> rented from the showman, painted everything, added the
> nautical tint of themeing and generally smarted up the
> advertising/branding of the park

From my personal point of view, though, the Haddens' rides were of very high quality. After all, it was the same drop tower as Thorpe Park and the same mouse as Disney's Animal Kingdom!

Brad:
> I totally agree that an intamin mega would make the park
> stand out so much. If not, they should bring the xpress
> ride from walibi world over here. Yeah its nothing special,
> but i think, if advertised well, this would defintely draw
> in the crowds a lot because people will think of it as a
> rita in the east of anglia (or rock 'n' rollercoaster of
> UK).

Good idea. Maybe they could convert it to a hydraulic launch?

My personal feeling about Grevin/CDA is that they started as if they were going to implement a grand plan, but in the end were only allowed to do the beginning bit of the plan.

Again, only my personal point of view, but they haven't added any rides I'd like to try at all, and they've had the park since Summer 2004. When Peter Hadden installed Magic Mouse (2000) and Fireball (2004), they were great - I went to ride them ASAP. With Grevin, their equivalent flat ride was a used Tri-Star (ridden, not keen) and their coaster was a 1988 Boomerang.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer mice to Boomerangs. More of the family can ride them. Plus, I've been riding Boomerangs for a very long time and am bored with them. I've been on the actual one at Pleasurewood very many times, and the one at Pleasure Island a fair bit too. For me they're not "That was great, let's ride it again" rides.

Still, hopefully I'm wrong and it was very popular.

I have to agree with everyone that they need a thrilling non-looping coaster; 60-100ft would be the right size. My suggestions:

Vekoma hydraulic-launched
Mega-lite (100ft steel)
Gerstlauer Bobsled
GCI woodie

Re: Will 2008 Be a Year to Forget? by Legendary_Rollercoaster_Man at 2/12/08 9:03:12 AM

Well I didn't get to go anywhere in the UK last year, so I am hoping that 2008 for me will be better than last year :)

Its been too long since I've been on the Nemesis.

Re: Will 2008 Be a Year to Forget? by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 2/16/08 5:34:48 AM

Pleasurewood needed Wipeout, IMO it was a brilliant move.

They got it for cheap, and more importantly, they finally have a looping coaster, the biggest gimmick of all!

When Wipeout was finally being constructed, there were news reports of it everywhere in the local press, and CDA said "there is more to come yet".

Wipeout has been a success, thats obvious,, its been the talk of the County.

Sicne CDA took over, Pleasurewoods adverising has been immense, its been all over the place, large bill boards, busses, bus stops, papers and Radio. And when Wipeout opened, it got even more extreme! You couldn't go a single day without hearing or seeing sometihng to do with Wipeout! And I congratulate CDA for that!

I too agree about a Haunted House, I've always said the needed one of them! They did use to have a old 'scary' show i nthe castle, now that is going back osme years!

IMO they should spend ALOT of money on turning that awful Fairytale Fantasy ride into a Haunted House attraction, but I mean going full on, ripping it all out and starting again, not just changing some of the dummies and music! They could do a real good job with that! I bet!

Re: Will 2008 Be a Year to Forget? by brad brad Profile at 2/16/08 6:15:56 AM

> Pleasurewood needed Wipeout, IMO it was a brilliant move.

> They got it for cheap, and more importantly, they finally
> have a looping coaster, the biggest gimmick of all!

I totally agree with you. It was a great addition (even if it was second hand) and was marketed well to boost attendance.

> IMO they should spend ALOT of money on turning that awful
> Fairytale Fantasy ride into a Haunted House attraction, but
> I mean going full on, ripping it all out and starting
> again, not just changing some of the dummies and music!
> They could do a real good job with that! I bet!

To be fair, i think ripping out the fairytale fanatasy ride would be a waste. Its in a terrible location and building. Yes it is a rubbish ride (so is tales of the coast to be fair) but i feel it would be much better if they could build up the tension by making the outside building look haunted to lure them in. If it was in that building there is no chance of that happenening.

It needs to be set inside the wooded area, near lots of trees so the back of the building cant be seen but the front facade shows all atmosphere the ride needs. Then, after this, it will draw a lot of crowds in.

But i wouldnt mind another coaster or thrill flat ride but it has to be themed well. You cant just place another portable ride in there.

Brad

Re: Will 2008 Be a Year to Forget? by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 2/16/08 5:02:20 PM

I do agree with what you're saying about the building, but there isn't really any other buildings a Haunted House could go in, so PWH would have to build one, which is unlikely.

I only mentioned that ride/building because of the actual ride that already sits in there, it would be the cheapest ride to turn into a Haunted House, well IMO it would be anyway.