Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR - Road to Troy: Part 2 Toverland

TR - Road to Troy: Part 2 Toverland

Posted: 1/11/08 at 9:26:56 PM
Views: 1983

Weary from the days adventures at Efteling, we travelled down and past Eindhoven to the Tulip Inn Sevenum, to be ultra close to Toverland for the next day, the hotel was nice the rooms had just been refurbished and they did a lovely breakfast, they also do a pleasant fire alarm in the morning which got us out of the hotel much quicker than planned

Photobucket

We arrived at the park 15-20mins before opening to find the car park was deserted except from a few staff cars, by the time the doors opened at 10am there was only us and a family waiting to go inside

Due to the low crowd levels the park was running on a rotational schedule, the main hall opened first, followed by the second hall an hour later, with the rides running on a half hour basis, for example boomerang would open for half an hour, then it would close while the wet/dry slides opened

We thought this system was well organised and didn’t restrict our enjoyment of the day in anyway and allowed us to sample each of the attractions on offer, Troy opened solidly 1pm – 3pm.

If you wanted another go on any of the rides, as there was nobody waiting, the very friendly ride ops were encouraging us to stay on, we did a good few front seat Troy rides without having to go back around although wussed out after 5 simultaneous front row blasts on the booster bike which was a bit too much on our own aching netherlands :P

Photobucket

Backstroke is an interesting log flume that last drop is quite a plunge, Villa Fiasco is a modern cake walk, a bit more modern and sanitised than traditional versions but great to see a modern park go to the effort of installing a new one, they also had a very strange double ferris wheel which rotated around too

Woudracer, a powered bobkart ride was the surprise ride of the day, to be launched so fast on a toboggan ride was breath taking and its nice the park had built up the terrain around the track to make it feel like a natural course, been so close to the ground only enhanced the fun sense of speed

Photobucket

Troy is a complete joy! Visually the ride is stunning, another deliciously twisted ride from GCI with all their now classic hallmarks, a great pace of speed which is maintained through the ride, smooth fun changes of direction, and light gentle pops of airtime more towards the front of the train

The GCI brand of woodie coaster has the perfect trade-off for me, you get the wild out of control woodie ride, but it feels very smooth and safe at the same time, I think this has a wider audience appeal, you can have the fun without it been too intense, rough or not re-rideable

Photobucket

Toverland was an utter giggle from start to finish with an agenda of play structures, trampolines and water course obstacles which were all completely knackering, added a lot of fun to the day, the attractions have been chosen carefully and fit perfectly with this type of venue, having them mostly inside / operating all year round really gives Toverland an edge over most existing theme parks, such a simple idea, of course the simple ideas are always the best ones

HighExtreme

Re: TR - Road to Troy: Part 2 Toverland by JaiB JaiB Profile at 1/12/08 8:47:20 AM

Toverland is definably an inspirational, really well thought out and executed FEC, with a difference.

BTW, sorry to go off topic, but is anyone else having problems reading posts due to the Hotels.com advert to the right overlapping the messages?!

I keep having to switch off the style sheets to read the posts...

JaiB!

Re: TR - Road to Troy: Part 2 Toverland by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/12/08 5:35:59 PM

> we did a good few front seat Troy rides
> without having to go back around although wussed out after
> 5 simultaneous front row blasts on the booster bike which
> was a bit too much on our own aching netherlands :P

LOL!

> Woudracer, a powered bobkart ride was the surprise ride of
> the day, to be launched so fast on a toboggan ride was
> breath taking and its nice the park had built up the
> terrain around the track to make it feel like a natural
> course, been so close to the ground only enhanced the fun
> sense of speed

Yeah, I'd love to try that.

> The GCI brand of woodie coaster has the perfect trade-off
> for me, you get the wild out of control woodie ride, but it
> feels very smooth and safe at the same time, I think this
> has a wider audience appeal, you can have the fun without
> it been too intense, rough or not re-rideable

I completely agree with you. They may be smooth, but they're hardly going to feel like a Zierer family coaster! At the same time, you don't want something that goes mad and either tears up the track or is technically well-maintained, but the design is just too violent to ever be smooth (Grand National). Yes, GCIs get my vote.

Toverland sounds superb. They have my utmost admiration. They have set up a great indoor park and nothing stops them building great roller coasters. It's the "can do" attitude.

Re: TR - Road to Troy: Part 2 Toverland by d_n_s_u at 1/13/08 5:12:19 PM

Keep these coming - The quality of TRs are what make these boards great reading.

A Tale of Shipley Glen

Re: TR - Road to Troy: Part 2 Toverland by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/13/08 5:39:44 PM

And I forget to say, the presentation of these TRs is impeccable.

PS - JaiB, no I'm not having any technical troubles.

Re: TR - Road to Troy: Part 2 Toverland by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 1/15/08 2:40:00 AM

Fantastic TRs! They make me want to fly across the pond right now to visit these parks.

Eric

Re: TR - Road to Troy: Part 2 Toverland by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 1/15/08 9:07:43 AM

Thanks for the comments guys, that's why I go to the extra effort for URF TRs as I know they're appreciated, I definitely enjoy reading everyone's reports, there's such a diverse range of views, styles, locations and experiences to read

Sorry Jai it was my huge pictures that were making the ad banner cover the text, I see they've been re-sized now, I'm on holiday at the mo, when I get home I'll resize the pictures myself so they're not blurry

I started to add montages of pictures rather than a single photo as I had too many pictures I wanted to include, also think it helps create a better feel of what the trip was like and helps to bring them alive

HighExtreme

Re: TR - Road to Troy: Part 2 Toverland by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/16/08 6:30:21 PM

> Thanks for the comments guys, that's why I go to the extra
> effort for URF TRs as I know they're appreciated, I
> definitely enjoy reading everyone's reports, there's such a
> diverse range of views, styles, locations and experiences
> to read

Talking about appreciating things, last month I got a Christmas card from Orlando. Inside, my friend had sent me two postcards - fantastic pics of Duelling Dragons and The Hulk! I was really touched by that.