Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Hello? Anybody home?

Hello? Anybody home?

Posted: 1/6/08 at 7:12:31 AM
Views: 1670

It´s usually not my thing to start or participate in birthday/x-mas/New Year threads but...

Happy New Year Euro URCers!

And did Greame already mention that Drayton Manor is getting a Gerstlauer coaster? Maybe thats old news, but i just wanted to say something.
;)

Oh, and check out the progress being made on (n)Everlands "T-Express"
http://www.themepark21.com/t-express/

Re: Hello? Anybody home? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/6/08 12:15:11 PM

Yes, Happy New Year everyone.

> And did Greame already mention that Drayton Manor is
> getting a Gerstlauer coaster? Maybe thats old news, but i
> just wanted to say something.
> ;)

No, I didn't, I only found out a few weeks ago. But yes, we're getting a Gerstlauer junior coaster at Drayton Manor.

> Oh, and check out the progress being made on (n)Everlands
> "T-Express"
> http://www.themepark21.com/t-express/

Beautiful. Now that is what a top class coaster looks like.

Re: Hello? Anybody home? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/7/08 10:51:28 PM

> Yes, Happy New Year everyone.

> And did Greame already mention that Drayton Manor is
> getting a Gerstlauer coaster? Maybe thats old news, but i
> just wanted to say something.
> ;)

> No, I didn't, I only found out a few weeks ago. But yes,
> we're getting a Gerstlauer junior coaster at Drayton Manor.

Now that he's found out, he hasn't stopped talking about it. :P It's been awhile since I razzed Grazza.

> Oh, and check out the progress being made on (n)Everlands
> "T-Express"
> http://www.themepark21.com/t-express/ Beautiful. Now that
> is what a top class coaster looks like.

I can't seem to get that up, is that the new Intamin woodie? If it is, then I haven't been a good fanboy. ;)

Tricky, (I still don't know your name, and it seems rather rude of me), hope you had a great holiday, and all of that jazz.

Tim.

Re: Hello? Anybody home? by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 1/8/08 6:23:53 AM

> Tricky, (I still don't know your name, and it seems rather
> rude of me), hope you had a great holiday, and all of that
> jazz.

Don´t worry about not knowing my name...nobody does ;)
As an international man of mystery i am only known as TrickTrack in the coaster world. Quite pathetic, isn´t it?

And yes, T-Express is the new Intamin Woodie and it looks like a cross between Balder, El Toro and something very twisted. (The link works for me).

Re: Hello? Anybody home? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/8/08 9:43:50 AM

Timster:
> Now that he's found out, he hasn't stopped talking about
> it. :P It's been awhile since I razzed Grazza.

Yeah, it must have been about 10 minutes!

Tricky:
> Don´t worry about not knowing my name...nobody does ;)
> As an international man of mystery i am only known as
> TrickTrack in the coaster world. Quite pathetic, isn´t it?

I thought I knew your name? Maybe I was wrong?

Now, I'm afraid I'm going to have a little rant here, as I haven't had one in a while! Seeing this coaster makes me realise that the UK now has no intention of building top class coasters, and possibly doesn't even know what they are.

It's just when I see B&M/Intamin mega coasters, Intamin new gen woodies, GCI woodies and big B&M loopers, I think what the heck are Tussauds doing wasting £8m on Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and Euro Fighters which, although decent, hardly show an aspiration to build the best of the best?

Re: Hello? Anybody home? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 1/25/08 12:53:15 AM

I too am wondering where everyone has gone in this forum. We've had an active group for awhile.

Re: Hello? Anybody home? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/25/08 7:58:21 PM

>
> I think what
> the heck are Tussauds doing wasting £8m on Charlie &
> the Chocolate Factory and Euro Fighters which, although
> decent, hardly show an aspiration to build the best of the
> best?

This is my first "visit to Europe," if you will.
I post regularly on the North American board, but based on TrickTrack and Corkscrew Foley's posts this week, I wanted to check it out.

I dunno if I'll ever get to England, but I'd love to hit Blackpool and Alton somehow other than in my (frequent) amusement park dreams.

Oblivion would be my first stop at AT, but I was very intrigued when I found out about the Chocolate Factory ride..the ORIGINAL movie is a favourite of mine. I've never seen anything about it other than the resort's website, and your note above, Graeme, is the first OPINION I've come across. Really boring, simply a waste of time, or what? Based on images from the Burton re-do, the Gene Wilder version, or Roald Dahl's book? Please expand a bit on the "waste of 8 million pounds."

Side question..showing my "computer no-savvy"...keyboards overseas have the symbol for the pound?...I guess they'd have to, but I just never thought of it.

Mike

Re: Hello? Anybody home? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/26/08 7:49:15 AM

> Oblivion would be my first stop at AT, but I was very
> intrigued when I found out about the Chocolate Factory
> ride..the ORIGINAL movie is a favourite of mine. I've never
> seen anything about it other than the resort's website, and
> your note above, Graeme, is the first OPINION I've come
> across.

Thank you, you're right. We need opinion and debate.

> Really boring, simply a waste of time, or what?
> Based on images from the Burton re-do, the Gene Wilder
> version, or Roald Dahl's book? Please expand a bit on the
> "waste of 8 million pounds."

It's based on the book.

Basically, the boat ride already existed. It was called Toyland Tours and was full of good animatronics. OK, I suppose the ridership dried up, so I can't blame Alton for getting rid of it, but basically, they just shortened the boat ride (it has hardly any "animatronics" at all) and put a simulator at the end (the Great Glass Elevator).

Again, this year they are retheming an area, putting in a very small children's ride and a "Splash Battle". Apparently, they are spending £6m on this. It's a lot when you consider it's just a ride where you fire water pistols.

So, £8m and £6m. It's an awful lot of money when you consider the UK still doesn't have a B&M Floorless/Sitdown looper, any sort of mega/hyper at all since 1994 or any woodie of any kind since 1996.

Thorpe Park apparently just shelved plans for a B&M Flying coaster, allegedly because it was so expensive, so they can get a Gerstlauer Euro Fighter instead. It's very frustrating.

> Side question..showing my "computer
> no-savvy"...keyboards overseas have the symbol for the
> pound?...I guess they'd have to, but I just never thought
> of it.

Yes, on a UK keyboard it's "Shift + 3". The Dollar is "Shift + 4", and you can also get the Euro, but I forget how.

I'll post later on the main theme.

Re: Hello? Anybody home? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/26/08 8:36:17 AM

Right, here’s my response to the main theme of the thread:

Frankly, there must have been a lot of resentment building up over the years about the lack of response to posts, especially TRs. It takes a lot of effort to travel and ride something – it’s a big deal, and should be recognised. In 2006 I went to ride the Scenic Railway at Margate. It didn’t operate in 2007, and there’s no guarantee it’ll operate again. I bothered to take photos and insert them into the TR, but I received hardly any response at all. Last year, I went to Paultons, which was a new-to-me park and new-to-me coaster, both excellent. This required travelling and overnight stays. I did a TR with a good description of the coaster, but only had feedback from two people.

If people come back from their trips (which are a big deal to them) and get no response, they’re not going to feel they have a community worth contributing to.

It’s not just me. Brad did an excellent, unprecedented behind-the-scenes TR of Alton Towers. It deserved far more response than it got. Winged Beast jets all around the world, telling us about coasters we’d like to ride, and implements excellent presentation into these TRs. They all deserve more recognition.

Same goes for discussions. I haven’t felt able to start a debate or theoretical post for years, because I know there won’t be any feedback.

Frankly, it’s selfish, and this is not a forum one can use in a selfish way. It only works if it’s a community, and that requires give and take. Even if you’re not that interested in a TR, at least ask something about the park.

I fear too many people have been offended and left.

THAT SAID…

The state of UK theme parks is absolutely appalling, and I have no trips planned this year. I must say, hardly any UK-based/English speaking, general interest discussion boards are thriving (some have closed down). The only ones that are really popular are the ones dedicated to Thorpe Park or Alton Towers.

I feel this board is original enough to be great again, if only we put the effort in.

* This Post Has Been Modified *