Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Speed changes

Speed changes

Robalob
Posted: 12/22/07 at 11:28:01 AM
Views: 1508

I've just returned from DisneyLand Paris and was wondering whether the same coaster sometimes travel faster than others. The first time on Space Mountain I thought it was quite good but the second time (the following day) it blew my head off and seemed to be alot lot faster. Two other people who rode with me said the same thing. I wasn't prepared for the speed the second time.
So my question is were we just imagining it or does the weight/size of people in the cars etc affect a coasters speed? Or perhaps the time its been running for that day affecting the heat of the bearing s or something.

Re: Speed changes by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/22/07 12:10:00 PM

That could be some of the reasons why, it can also be where you were sitting too. i wish I could answer more.

Re: Speed changes by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/23/07 2:55:53 PM

They do run faster the hotter they are, and also faster if it's been raining (obviously this doesn't affect Space Mountain).

However, it's more likely that you had different G-forces depending on where you sat on the train. You don't travel at different speeds, as such, but where you sit dictates which bits of the track you travel fast over, and which bits you travel slowly over.

If you sit at the back, you will be pulled down the drops quickly, and get more negative Gs there. If you sit at the front, you will be pushed uphill faster, and you'll get stronger negative Gs when you arrive at the top of a hill.

Re: Speed changes by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 12/24/07 6:21:49 AM

Since Space Mountain is launched up the lifthill, it is possible that the launch speed varies for some reasons.

Re: Speed changes by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/25/07 4:22:35 AM

Weight perhaps? I'd say for randomness, but it's not Tower of Terror.