Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Vekoma Stingray - Suzhou Giant Wheel Park

Vekoma Stingray - Suzhou Giant Wheel Park

Posted: 12/18/07 at 12:55:28 PM
Views: 2859

Suzhou Giant Wheel Park, China will be the first to add a Vekoma Stingray, their new compact flying coaster

The ride will use a 2 row train seating 8 guests, to increase dispatch times the seats will recline into the flying position during the lift hill

check out the RCDB.com rendering of the layout

This is the latest in a new wave of "few foundations" rides, such as Skywheel/X Coaster, Zac Spic, Screaming Squirrel, El Loco etc.

As parks are increasingly unwilling to invest in new coasters, there seems to be a trend to offer designs which are ultra compact and only need a few foundations as this saves large ammounts of money on the construction of the ride

Furthermore these are easier to site within exisiting developed areas, so parks don't have to build new pathways/infrastructure to reach the rides and are easier to get planning permission as they are less intrusive on the landscape

Visually the rides are more sensational than traditional styles of roller coaster and are seen as easier to market

HighExtreme

Re: Vekoma Stingray - Suzhou Giant Wheel Park by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/19/07 10:45:18 AM

> This is the latest in a new wave of "few
> foundations" rides, such as Skywheel/X Coaster, Zac
> Spic, Screaming Squirrel, El Loco etc.

I have to say, they appeal to me in this order:

1. Vekoma Stingray
2. Intamin ZacSpin
3. Maurer SkyWheel
4. S&S Squirrel etc

I think Vekoma may have hit upon the correct formula, in terms of both including turns and finding a niche for the Flying Dutchman.

Re: Vekoma Stingray - Suzhou Giant Wheel Park by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/19/07 3:06:47 PM

I find this layout rather exciting, and I for one loved my only Vekoma Flyer, and can't wait for one of these to hit NA soil (maybe the UK might finally get one).
All of the new insane looking compacts all have got my interest piqued (some may go for the obvious Intamin, cheeky gits ;) ) but I wonder which of these coasters will steal the show.