Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Behemoth - Canada's Wonderland

Behemoth - Canada's Wonderland

Posted: 11/15/07 at 7:51:13 AM
Views: 2360

Canada's Wonderland are making progress on Behemoth their new B&M hyper coaster, with a new stagged seating style train

As the Screamscape construction photos the park must have some very understanding neighbours, you certainly wouldn't see a uk park get away building such huge rides so lcose to a housing estate

HighExtreme

Re: Behemoth - Canada's Wonderland by Graeme Graeme Profile at 11/15/07 8:01:49 AM

I think this ride is staggering, just staggering.

Then again, I think Goliath at La Ronde looks like the best steel coaster in the World. Canada certainly has an impressive pair of B&M hypers!

Am I the only one who thinks of the newer ones differently (more positively, I suppose) to the old ones? I used to think of the old ones as enormouse and unattainable. It's just perception, I suppose, but then more and more parks do seem to be building them.

Apollo's Chariot
Raging Bull
Nitro
Silver Star

Goliath (SFoG)
Goliath (La Ronde)
Behemoth
Hollywood Dream

Those last four just seem so much more appealing to me, for some reason. A lot of it is that B&M are building them less high. The fact that they're going as low as 150ft makes all the difference to me.

Re: Behemoth - Canada's Wonderland by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 11/15/07 10:09:02 AM

my opinion differs widely from yours. Having not ridden Goliath La Ronde, I must say that it looks like the dullest of all the B&M Hypers. Hollywood Dream doesn´t appeal to me either, but even it does more than going up and down.

I am really into the height of those rides and the exitement of the first drop and the ridiculous high hills that follow. Combine this with some great twisting drops and some surprises in form of extravagant turnarounds and you have a great hyper.
In this regard, Goliath La Ronde looks like the absolute anti-thesis to a great hyper layout: It isnt all that high, the turnaround looks like a total waste (especially compared to the very appealing Goliath at SfoG) and there is absolutely no surprise, safe for the sudden banking at the end. It is also the only "Goliath" that doesn´t have a helix, which I always considered to be part of the "Goliath" coaster experience.

I have ridden Apollo, Raging Bull, Nitro and Silverstar.
The Bull used to be my absolute fave because of the wonderful layout, that offers much more than an out and back design. Sadly, after hearing about it and finally re-visiting it this summer, I have to say that the mighty has indeed fallen. The ride is so overbraked now, that it comes close to the boredom of Silverstar.
The verdict on Behemoth is of course still open. The new trains can make for a very different ride experience.

I am still hoping that B&M will get the chance to build another hyper-twister with a more compact and twisted layout.

Re: Behemoth - Canada's Wonderland by Graeme Graeme Profile at 11/15/07 4:37:34 PM

> my opinion differs widely from yours. Having not ridden
> Goliath La Ronde, I must say that it looks like the dullest
> of all the B&M Hypers. Hollywood Dream doesn´t appeal to
> me either, but even it does more than going up and down.

> I am really into the height of those rides and the
> exitement of the first drop and the ridiculous high hills
> that follow. Combine this with some great twisting drops
> and some surprises in form of extravagant turnarounds and
> you have a great hyper.

I can understand your viewpoint. I bet you liked the original Arrow hypers, didn't you? Personally, they've always looked wrong to me - just too high! :)

Some people like the 200ft+ height, whereas I see mega coasters as the natural replacement for woodies, especially when they get even smaller (100ft-ish like Piraten).

Regarding the out & back vs. twister aspect, that's one thing I've never known which side of the fence to sit on! I can only say I like both, as my ravings about the G'Sengte Sau/Thor's Hammer layout show!

> I am still hoping that B&M will get the chance to build
> another hyper-twister with a more compact and twisted
> layout.

I'm all for that. I just hope it's 150ft. ;)

Re: Behemoth - Canada's Wonderland by Cal at 11/16/07 8:40:22 AM

The two Beemer hypers I've ridden have both been overbraked. I don't see the point of dropping you from such a great height if they're going to kill all the speed with trims. That's why I've been more of an Intamin fangirl. The Beemers would be great with fewer brakes, though I'm not keen on the retraints. I prefer cars where my feet are on the floor and I can get some decent air.

Re: Behemoth - Canada's Wonderland by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 11/16/07 12:55:57 PM

Cal, why isn't it elsewhere you won't say you're an Intamin fangirl? ;) I've never ridden a Beemer hyper, I have an Intamin giga, Arrow and Morgan hyper, and I want to see the difference between the ones I have been on.

I love hypers now, but it's been the height for me that irks me, I suppose that's why I loved Phantom so much, you don't see the height... not until you're racing down that second drop .

I'm a proud Intamin fan-boy, but I have to admit that all of the Beemer hypers out there I'd love to ride. The one that stands out is Goliath (SFoG), Nitro, and Raging Bull (even if they trimmed it to mighty, unholy hell).

I think if Grazza went to PCW, he'd love Behemoth. I know I can't wait to ride it... although I'd have rather an Intamin hyper. ;)

Tim, afraid of heights, and suspension bridges...