Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Ultimate to be Replaced?

The Ultimate to be Replaced?

Posted: 11/8/07 at 8:08:42 AM
Views: 2063

Rumours are growing stronger that the Ultimate will be replaced with another coaster. I must admit, I just thought it would be scrapped, so a replacement would be a pleasant surprise.

What do you think it would be? I would like it to be a big non-looper, wood or steel. However, I think it's more likely that it will be a compact coaster, approximately using the space where the station is now. I don't think there's mich hope it will go on a journey like its predecessor, although I hope to be proved wrong!

Also, there's the qusetion of timing. Do you think it will be taken down this winter, or have one more season?

I read this in First Drop, and they are very reluctant to report rumours these days, so I think there's something in it...

Re: The Ultimate to be Replaced? by d_n_s_u at 11/8/07 2:56:07 PM

The world would be a dull place without rumours.

I don't believe it will be replaced by a coaster - I hope it will and i hope I'm wrong.

BTW..Was the track originally supplied by British Rail or is this an old coaster wives tale?

Cue British Rail gags...

Paul Beesley's Ocean Beach Memoirs

Re: The Ultimate to be Replaced? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 11/8/07 3:27:33 PM

> BTW..Was the track originally supplied by British Rail or
> is this an old coaster wives tale?

I used to follow the Ultimate obsessively at the time, and as far as I remember it was built by Big Country Motioneering and designed by the park's owner (Robert Stavely?) Not sure about the track though.

Re: The Ultimate to be Replaced? by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 11/9/07 3:50:13 AM

I have to admit that i never rode it, nor have i been to LV.
After i bought the 1994 coaster video in Blackpool (in 1994) i never felt the need to go out of my way to ride the Ultimate, which even back then looked a bit boring to me.

I have heard that the coaster is a bit rough in certain areas, and remembering the video, i can guess where these spots are.

But isn´t it still the biggest draw for Lightwater Valley? Why would they think to get rid of their "record breaking" flagship coaster? Is it beyond repair? In what state is the park? Do you think they would be able to replace it with a terrain woodie?

We are losing coasters left and right these days!

Re: The Ultimate to be Replaced? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 11/9/07 8:52:56 AM

> I have to admit that i never rode it, nor have i been to
> LV.
> After i bought the 1994 coaster video in Blackpool (in
> 1994) i never felt the need to go out of my way to ride the
> Ultimate, which even back then looked a bit boring to me.

How funny! I thought the video made it look great (and all the earlier promotion - the park sent me a great poster), but to be honest your instincts were right.

After I'd ridden it, I remember thinking a more compact woodie, but with a greater number of large, steep drops would be better.

> But isn´t it still the biggest draw for Lightwater Valley?

I suppose so, yes, but I have no idea what the visitor figures are.

> Why would they think to get rid of their "record
> breaking" flagship coaster? Is it beyond repair? In
> what state is the park?

The park itself...well, I haven't been since 1996 (the Ultimate was smooth, honest!) but put it this way - they have been able to afford the occasional bit of good, new equipment. The KMG Afterburner from three or four years ago springs to mind.

It's hard to say how good a state the Ultimate itself is in, or how much it costs to maintain.

Personally, I think the park needs to get in some modern, affordable coasters from manufacturers such as Mack, Vekoma, Gerstlauer and (preferably) GCI. I'd prefer the Ultimate to be retained, but if not, so be it.

> Do you think they would be able to
> replace it with a terrain woodie?

I suspect that's beyond their means, unfortunately.

Re: The Ultimate to be Replaced? by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 11/10/07 10:24:31 AM

I've been meaning to post this link for a while now! Valley Mania the lightwater fansite have a Q&A session with the park manager on their forum

on the future of the Ultimate . . . .

"The Ultimate will remain at LWV for at lease the next 8-10 years and possibly longer. The ride does cost an awful lot to maintain in excess of £60k per year. We are setting aside a lump sum each year for a major refurbishment in 4 years time."

Very interesting and blunt response from the park, they seem to have a good relationship with the forum, they've told them elsewhere that the park are looking to build an SLC in the future

HighExtreme

Re: The Ultimate to be Replaced? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 11/10/07 11:01:50 AM

> I've been meaning to post this link for a while now! Valley
> Mania the lightwater fansite have a Q&A session with the
> park manager on their forum

That's great, thanks!

> on the future of the Ultimate . . . .
>

"The Ultimate will remain at LWV for at lease
> the next 8-10 years and possibly longer. The ride does cost
> an awful lot to maintain in excess of £60k per year. We
> are setting aside a lump sum each year for a major
> refurbishment in 4 years time."

I wonder why First Drop posted it? They've become so reluctant to post rumours nowadays.

Lots of interesting facts there. For instance, they don't own the Rat and the site is earmarked for re-development "in the next five/seven years" (the interview was 2006).

Also, I forgot they were going to replace Toad Hole. Has that happened yet? What is the replacement or what will it be?

Re: The Ultimate to be Replaced? by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 11/10/07 11:23:40 AM

> Lots of interesting facts there. For instance, they don't
> own the Rat and the site is earmarked for re-development
> "in the next five/seven years" (the interview was
> 2006).

Yes that is very unusual arrangement, especially as it's been at the park for over 20 years. One of the questions ask why they only have one car on the rat ride at a time now . . .

"Legislation has changed which means we need to invest around £30k on a control system. As we don't own the ride we are reluctant to do this. We are in discussion with the rides owners but they are also reluctant to spend on an old ride."

This whole attitude is the complete opposite to what a theme park should have these days, key ethics such as maintaining exisiting rides, having the latest safety control systems, ride capacity/throughput, seasonal events, themeing and fixing small things like the pump that makes the pirate ships waterfall work are all snubbed because it costs too much money

The park really needs some ambition in the past it achieved some really world renowned unique attractions such as the rat ride on very modest budgets

Shoving in the cheapest of cheap Italian funfair rides and wanting to put a holiday village on the side of this, will not secure Lightwater Valley's future

> Also, I forgot they were going to replace Toad Hole. Has
> that happened yet? What is the replacement or what will it
> be?

The Toad Hole ride system has been removed this season, but the hill still remains in tact, next year a ferris wheel will be placed on the pond

Its such a shame a lot of Lightwater's charm comes form the very unique attractions like Toad Hole, Rat Ride and Ultimate the current management dont seem to apreciate this which will be their ultimate undoing!

* This Post Has Been Modified *

HighExtreme

Re: The Ultimate to be Replaced? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 11/10/07 11:54:11 AM

It's too bad they could get B&M in there and redo the Ultimate... yeah, Graeme, you heard me.. B&M. Somehow come in and do a non-looping floorless... again, you heard me.

I have heard the rumours of an Intamin SLC though.

Tim.

Re: The Ultimate to be Replaced? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 11/10/07 3:40:29 PM

>

"Legislation has changed which means we need to
> invest around £30k on a control system. As we don't own
> the ride we are reluctant to do this. We are in discussion
> with the rides owners but they are also reluctant to spend
> on an old ride."

> This whole attitude is the complete opposite to what a
> theme park should have these days, key ethics such as
> maintaining exisiting rides, having the latest safety
> control systems, ride capacity/throughput, seasonal events,
> themeing and fixing small things like the pump that makes
> the pirate ships waterfall work are all snubbed because it
> costs too much money

Yes, quite frankly I was gobsmacked with his honesty about the reluctance to spend money on the Rat, the pump and everything else!

I know it's easy for me to sit here and say "spend money", but other small parks do - look at Adventure Island and Paultons.

I just think small parks (indeed, all parks) can have one of two attitudes:

a) let's try and do things properly.
or
b) let's try and get by with whatever we can get 2nd-hand; doesn't matter if it's good.

Coasters are technology-driven and you have to keep up with the latest brakes and operating systems etc. If that means buying a newer coaster, so be it. If the Rat doesn't meet the standards, it seems funny to just be happy operating it at low capacity.

Tim:
> I have heard the rumours of an Intamin SLC though.

I doubt they would spend on an Intamin, or a Vekoma for that matter! I know a manufacturer that would probably be cheaper, but I don't want to give them ideas!