Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > alton towers all downhill from here?

alton towers all downhill from here?

Posted: 10/9/07 at 12:04:05 PM
Views: 2007

does anyone else think that the park is going to be replaced as britains top theme park?

Re: alton towers all downhill from here? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/9/07 12:17:33 PM

No, I think they've learnt their lesson now. Let's hope we have a new decade of B&M!

Re: alton towers all downhill from here? by westy_619 westy_619 Profile at 10/9/07 12:34:11 PM

yeh hopefully! shame about the height restrictions tho

Re: alton towers all downhill from here? by brad brad Profile at 10/9/07 1:40:36 PM

> yeh hopefully! shame about the height restrictions tho

I know everyone wants to see the biggest fastest coaster overlooking the park, but many people would say that the height restriction is a gift for them. Without it we wouldn't have nemesis or oblivion, the parks 2 key rides.

But yeah i aggree it is of an annoyance, but sometimes (not every time) a height restriction is of a benefit.

Brad

Re: alton towers all downhill from here? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/9/07 5:46:38 PM

> I know everyone wants to see the biggest fastest coaster
> overlooking the park, but many people would say that the
> height restriction is a gift for them. Without it we
> wouldn't have nemesis or oblivion, the parks 2 key rides.

> But yeah i aggree it is of an annoyance, but sometimes (not
> every time) a height restriction is of a benefit.

I agree, Brad. Remember, Rita and Spinball have been built on flat land and go up about 50ft in the air. I'm not saying they're bad rides (I know you loved Rita), but they do represent a period when Alton gave up designing rides the way they used to.

All we need is for Alton to do what they did with Oblivion and (especially) Air and Nemesis - design the layout carefully and dig into the ground, with plenty of tunnels.

Considering how quiet B&Ms can be, we could easily have some new coasters, and I think they could be around 100ft. Alton's never gonna have Top Thrill Dragster, and that's alright by me.

Re: alton towers all downhill from here? by westy_619 westy_619 Profile at 10/9/07 5:58:40 PM

in all fairness to that, i still think were going to have to wait a while for another ride of the same quality as nemesis or oblivion

i found rita a huge let down myself apart from the launch which was fantastic.

i rememember when oblivion was first being built and it had the guys patroling the area in orance jumpsuits which was a nice gimmick, and i had no idea hwat to expect from it and it was an amazing feeling.
i hope to feel that sometime in the next few years

Re: alton towers all downhill from here? by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 10/9/07 6:53:58 PM

It's quite possible that Towers could be replaced as the uk's no.1 theme park. My guess would be Thorpe to be the park that could do this, as they have been able to invest more regularly in decent rides. Don't get me wrong, I love Towers but it's clearly becoming a resort more than a theme park and the height restrictions have played a major factor in this development.

Pls ignore the link below, I left it in after doing my T.R.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Alton 2007 Pics