Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Work and this Theme Park Hobby

Work and this Theme Park Hobby

d_n_s_u
Posted: 10/7/07 at 9:52:04 AM
Views: 1867

This sort of thread has emerged before upon these hallowed boards but the theme of work and hobby has a habit of rearing up its head for me at the most inopportune of moments.

When I do volunteer information about my hobby my workmates tend to smile and look surprised or even look on in slight embarrassment.

For some reason, this usually causes me feelings of discomfort and unease. (WHY??)

Worst of all, my hobby can make a liar out of me..

Not long ago I was sitting around a table in a high pressure meeting consisting of other nurses, a psychologist, neurologist, etc.

We stopped for a tea break but all remained around the table.

Then someone talked about a holiday in USA and going on "The Incredible Hulk Dipper"

One guy then informed everyone that I loved rollercoasters and have - Wrong..I used to have - a website about them and had been on "hundreds of the things and most in the world."

(Er..The world eh?? Had I?? News to me - Had this guy been following behind me with a clicker keeping count?)

Noone said anything but all eyes were upon me.

Those feelings of unease were evident. (WHY do I feel like this??)

I was asked what I thought of Hulk and I found myself lying and talking as if I'd been on it during my recent visit to Florida.

Then horror upon horrors someone asked me what the last roller coaster I had been on in America.

I said Expedition Everest was the last one I had ridden..

I had lied again.

.. Listen, I just couldn't bring myself to telling the truth:

Goofy's Barnstormer.

Re: Work and this Theme Park Hobby by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/7/07 11:03:21 AM

> I was asked what I thought of Hulk and I found myself lying
> and talking as if I'd been on it during my recent visit to
> Florida.

Don't worry, I've done that! Let's just say there are a few UK roller coasters I haven't been on, yet I find it hard to admit that with some of them.

I'm lucky I do have quite a few people interested at work though. When I spent a week in Dorset, I told then I'd been on a really good roller coaster. "I might have guessed" came the reply.

There was also someone with connections to Southend. He asked me all about Rage when that was being built, and I've told him about Aeronaut.

And basically, a lot of people have been on Nemesis, Oblivion etc, and ask me if I've been on them (in which case, I tell the truth), and Stealth, because they've seen that too.

I'm pretty honest about what I do and don't ride, however, there are two exceptions:

1) When I'm new to a group and don't want to seem a wuss. Unfortunately this also applies to URC since 1999.

2) When I've told someone I'm going to ride something, and I chicken out. This applies whether I'm speaking to someone online or for real.

As an example, I was really looking forward to riding Cobra at Paulton's. Let's say I had chickened out. Well, I'm afraid to say I'd have implied I'd been on it anyway! Sad but true.

To be fair, I only say I'm going to ride something if I genuinely think I am.

I'm really glad you've brought this up, Gary! It's made me feel a lot better! :)

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Work and this Theme Park Hobby by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/7/07 1:09:39 PM

Gary and Graeme, (hey, our initials together, we are a coaster comapny TGG... yeah, I'm bored), I have been in the same situation.

I usually tell people right away I'm a coaster enthusiast, I wonder sometimes if I should just keep my mouth shut. At my last job, my boss wanted to know what our hobbies were, and because my fave coaster wasn't at Cedar point, I was looked at like I was nuts. No matter how much I tried to say how good Kennywood was, it just wouldn't work, because CP had MORE coasters.

I guess as an enthusiast, that's the kind of mentality I have to put up with. That and the snobbery from hardcore B&M fanboys.

Tim.

Re: Work and this Theme Park Hobby by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/7/07 3:05:03 PM

> I guess as an enthusiast, that's the kind of mentality I
> have to put up with. That and the snobbery from hardcore
> B&M fanboys.

Haha. ;)

I forgot to say, at least Gary has a good excuse for not going on the looping coasters - motion sickness is something understood by all.

Re: Work and this Theme Park Hobby by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/8/07 1:31:28 AM

> I guess as an enthusiast, that's the kind of mentality I
> have to put up with. That and the snobbery from hardcore
> B&M fanboys.

> Haha. ;)

> I forgot to say, at least Gary has a good excuse for not
> going on the looping coasters - motion sickness is
> something understood by all.

That's his legit reason, now what's yours? :P

For me, I'd say I wouldn't step foot on another Vekoma Boomerang, but the cre-ho in me won't allow that to happen... besides, there might be one out there I like.

Tim.

Re: Work and this Theme Park Hobby by Cal at 10/8/07 8:47:22 AM

I'm completely upfront about it. If others have a problem with that then stuff 'em!

Re: Work and this Theme Park Hobby by Fraser Fraser Profile at 10/9/07 7:17:38 AM

As long as I can bring beauty and glamour to an otherwise geekish hobby then I don't mind who knows. :)

Re: Work and this Theme Park Hobby by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 10/17/07 8:49:55 PM

I may be such an enthusiast as an adult because I dreamed so much of riding rollercoasters as a child. I don't care who knows. I even wear my coaster t-shirts to work, though my collection is small. Since when are our colleagues embarrased about sharing their enthusiasm for beating the hell out of a little white ball. A hobby which costs no less even.

Mikey Mad

Re: Work and this Theme Park Hobby by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/22/07 10:41:06 AM

While we're on the topic, has anyone here had a friend, relative, or co-worker who didn't want to hear about any of this? I have a friend where if I remotely start to talk coasters, he'll be like' you know I don't care, right?' It stings each time, but I don't mention anything, especially about uping my creds a bit either with kiddie coasters.

Tim.

Re: Work and this Theme Park Hobby by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/28/07 6:35:54 PM

> While we're on the topic, has anyone here had a friend,
> relative, or co-worker who didn't want to hear about any of
> this?

I've had it once, but it's a tad rude. After all, it's only polite to listen to other people - I listen to some of my friends about Star Trek, Transformers and American Football!

Besides, who doesn't like roller coasters or theme parks at all? It's like having no interest in films, books or TV!

Most people I know have been to theme parks and enjoyed the rides, so there's a lot of common ground.