Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Chessington/Thorpe Weekend Pt 2. 15/16 Sept 2007

Chessington/Thorpe Weekend Pt 2. 15/16 Sept 2007

Posted: 9/20/07 at 7:12:10 PM
Views: 1963

Arriving early at Thorpe, the weather was still nice and sunny. There were already plenty of cars in the car park and I started to guess at long queues. As we we headed in through the gates, we were greeted with notices claiming for the following were 'unavailable'. Rush. Slammer. Samurai. Tidal Wave and Quantum. Also, Pirates 4D was showing in 2D. Yep, thats five rides, 3 of them that I really like closed and what the hell is the point of showing a 2D film in a 4D attraction? May as well have closed that too. Unbelievable.

After securing Parent Swap tickets, we headed straight to Stealth. The queue was only 5 minutes at the most and it was great to ride this beast again. It was the first time for my step daughter and fortunately she enjoyed it (despite a look of sheer terror on the photo after :-) We were at the back and it's an amazing sight, to see the whole train pulling us over the top hat of the ride. Quite incredible. Mrs Britcit decided it wasn't for her when she realized it was a launched coaster, so I grabbed another quick go as the queue was quickly growing.

We all accompanied Britcit Jnr on some toddler rides, which he loved and then we moved on to Nemesis Inferno after riding the Tea Cups. The queue was around 25 mins but worth the wait as Nem Inferno is a very fun and smooth coaster indeed. The Mrs came on after we got off, using the parent swap voucher and her daughter, re-rode with her. Both enjoyed the ride. Had an interesting chat with a couple whilst queueing for this ride. One of them had been earlier in the week and 5 rides were shut that day, too. Free tickets were given to guests as they went home. She had been there on a seminar and had learnt that Merlin were considering adding Legoland to the Tussards Annual Pass. Very interesting indeed......

Collossus followed and for the first time in a few years, I actually enjoyed the ride. This was for two reasons. Firstly, it was my step daughter's first time on it and she was excited about going upside down 10 times on one coaster. Secondly, I found that by changing the position of my head, according to the direction changes on the ride, I received much less bumping about. Queue was only 15 mins. The Mrs used her parent swap and and gave the ride a go. It was so funny watching her stagger out the shop/exit. She enjoyed the ride but it made her feel quite unsteady on her feet. This weekend was her re-introduction to coasters since late 2003 and she had done superbly well. Vampire, Dragon's Fury, Nemesis Inferno and now Collossus. Welcome back, Mrs Britcit...we missed you....Now if I could only persuade her to go on Stealth.......

My Step Daughter and I rode Vortex whilst Britcit Jnr had some dinner and this was the longest queue of the day at 45 mins. I really did feel like we were going nowhere at some points. Once on however, we had a fun ride but I don't think I'll wait that along again for it.

After lunch I re-rode Nemesis Inferno on my own and this time I took a longer queue to ride the front. This is where inverted coasters really shine as you get to fully appreciate the layout of the ride. This time, Nem Inf really flew around the track and for the first time, it felt like a similar speed to it's superior predeccessor, Nemesis. It actually felt like the train was trying to runaway, constantly urging itself faster and faster around the track. This is how Nemesis always rides and it was great to finally feel this on Inferno.

After a failed attempt to get Mrs Britcit on Stealth, I used her parent swap voucher and walked straight on. Nice. Very nice. God, I love this parent swap scheme, it so rocks. I was at the back again and wow, wonderful as always. One of the most intense rushes, you can imagine.

I rejoined the family and the Mrs and her daughter rode Depth Charge. The queue was around 30 mins but they enjoyed the ride. We then changed direction and rode the Canada Creek Railway. This was to be their second go but Britcit Jnr loved it and really enjoyed spotting the bears throughout the ride. I was very impressed with the train itself. It was styled on the old frontier trains and looked quite the part.

After several more toddler rides for Britcit Jnr, we headed out the park and guess what?.......No tickets were given out, no apologies for several rides being closed, nothing. We had had a good day, the weather had been kind and the queues were thankfully, fairly small. However, I would have loved to have ridden Samurai, Tidal Wave and Rush again and felt my choice of rides for the day was considerably restricted. Thorpe Park will be receiving a strongly worded letter soon......

So, a great weekend overall. Great weather, small queues, LOADS of rides for Britcit Jnr (he's only 1!) and Mrs Britcit returned to the nurturing bosom of a coaster harness. Chessington was by far the most fun day with a wider selection of family rides and better greenery/parkland. It was nice to get away and in less than two weeks, we take our Annual Passes to Alton Towers. Should be good!

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Thorpe 2007

Re: Chessington/Thorpe Weekend Pt 2. 15/16 Sept 2007 *NM* by Graeme Graeme Profile at 9/21/07 10:27:05 AM

> My Step Daughter and I rode Vortex whilst Britcit Jnr had
> some dinner and this was the longest queue of the day at 45
> mins. I really did feel like we were going nowhere at some
> points. Once on however, we had a fun ride but I don't
> think I'll wait that along again for it.

I agree about this. I think I've only ridden it once too, in 2002. I was really excited about riding it. It was good, but not that good, and the queue always seems just a bit too big for the quality of the ride. I love the 24-seat versions though (and probably the 16-).

> After lunch I re-rode Nemesis Inferno on my own and this
> time I took a longer queue to ride the front. This is where
> inverted coasters really shine as you get to fully
> appreciate the layout of the ride. This time, Nem Inf
> really flew around the track and for the first time, it
> felt like a similar speed to it's superior predeccessor,
> Nemesis. It actually felt like the train was trying to
> runaway, constantly urging itself faster and faster around
> the track. This is how Nemesis always rides and it was
> great to finally feel this on Inferno.

Yes, I agree. This ride is definitely intense enough for me. Just great fun, that's all I want from a coaster!

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, but yes, I would really quite miss some of the rides that weren't open, particularly Rush. I can't wait to go back now!

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Chessington/Thorpe Weekend Pt 2. 15/16 Sept 2007 by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 9/21/07 11:33:32 AM

Graeme, when you go back to Thorpe you really should give Dentonator a try, no joking at all. As for Chris, great TR, I say that alot, but that probably means I enjoyed the read. Too bad that the rides you wanted weren't up, and maybe next time.

As for Colossus, like I would with any looping coaster is to relax, and turn my head with the directions, much like it sounds like you did.

On Stealth, how was the pull-over in the back whilst at the top of the top hat?

Tim.

Re: Chessington/Thorpe Weekend Pt 2. 15/16 Sept 2007 by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 9/21/07 3:25:39 PM

Thanks, Tim. You're too kind. Detonator really is a great ride but I chose not to ride it on Sunday due to it's low capacity. On previous visits mid week, I've always had several goes! And Graeme, take his advice and have a go! It's great.

The pull over effect at the back of the train? Divine, my friend. Seeing the whole train soar down then pull you with it while you're trying to take in the view....incredible. So much happens in such a short space of time. So much to enjoy, so much adrenaline to rush through your veins. An awesome experience. It was also my first time riding Stealth with it running 2 trains. It's hard to imagine on such a short circuit but it worked well and the ride operators worked hard to keep an efficient operation.

Forgot to mention in the T.R, the confusing queue info boards in the park. Collossus and Nem Inferno both stated 70 mins and the actual queues were 15 mins and 25 mins respectively. Hardly accurate....
Strangely, I know another person that went the same day and they felt the queues were double the time stated on the info boards. Very bizarre.

Re: Chessington/Thorpe Weekend Pt 2. 15/16 Sept 2007 by Fraser Fraser Profile at 9/22/07 5:30:31 AM

The pull-over in the back is indeed magnificent, however I'm sure Cal would agree with me that nothing beats the sensation of riding the Fraser memorial seat.

Re: Chessington/Thorpe Weekend Pt 2. 15/16 Sept 2007 by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 9/24/07 10:13:30 AM

> Forgot to mention in the T.R, the confusing queue info
> boards in the park. Collossus and Nem Inferno both stated
> 70 mins and the actual queues were 15 mins and 25 mins
> respectively. Hardly accurate....
> Strangely, I know another person that went the same day and
> they felt the queues were double the time stated on the
> info boards. Very bizarre.

In a way, that sounds like Cedar Point. They'll say the Q time for a coaster will be 45 minutes (on a busy day), and the lines move quickly, and before you know it, it's only taken you 20-25 minutes. By the way, I thought Stealth could hold 3 trains? I could have sworn it said so on rcdb.

Tim.

Re: Chessington/Thorpe Weekend Pt 2. 15/16 Sept 2007 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 9/24/07 10:53:10 AM

> Graeme, when you go back to Thorpe you really should give
> Dentonator a try, no joking at all.

That was random! ;)

> By the way, I thought Stealth
> could hold 3 trains? I could have sworn it said so on rcdb.

Perhaps they just own three. I've never heard of them running three.

Re: Counting Trains by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 9/24/07 5:49:40 PM

> By the way, I thought Stealth
> could hold 3 trains? I could have sworn it said so on rcdb.

Tim I believe that's because Stealth has 3 trains but they can only run a maximum of 2 on the ride system

RCDB also correctly states Spinball has 8 cars, but we can only have 7 on the ride at a time, and Oblivion has a total of 7 shuttles though again we can only have a maximum of 6 on the ride

Having spare trains allows for routine maintenance to take place without having to reduce the capacity of the ride

HighExtreme