Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island?

Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island?

Posted: 8/15/07 at 5:38:54 PM
Views: 2816

Adventure Island has submitted a planning application, presumably for a 2008 ride:

Address:
Western Sunken Gardens Western Esplanade

Proposal:
Erect 2 latticed steel pylons, 1 65m and 1 45m high as part of new pleasure ride, wholly contained within Sunken Gardens West

Yikes!!!

One 200ft pylon, one 150ft pylon... It sounds to me like some sort of zip line where you'd start at the top of the 200ft pylon, roll to the top of the 150ft pylon; then zig-zag back to, say, 100ft on the tall pylon, 50ft on the shorter one and then back to the base of the tallest one.

Only thing is, where is "Western Sunken Gardens"? I presume it's just the western half of the park.

Planning Application

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Hurri Hurri Profile at 8/16/07 6:19:09 AM

I'm not sure about this. I've seen the concept art, it's a bit.. strange. If permission is granted and the ride goes ahead, it'll be built by a company that has never built a ride before, in conjunction with the park's own workshop team. The company builds electricity pylons.

To me, that screams unreliability. The fact it will be a world's first and there's never been anything like it.. Might be a good draw to the park but I can't see it lasting.

I haven't been given permission to release anything further than what the plans show but when I have I'll post it.

To be honest, I'd prefer a retheme of Beelzee Bob's Trail for 2008 to this but we'll see. Might get both...

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 8/16/07 6:34:50 AM

Sounds as though it possibly could be a home-made Mountain Glider style coaster, if we're getting something that tall why not a more traditional hyper coaster, it could be southend's answer big one if they can squeeze it into the site

Still think that a B&M in a similar vein to Tivoli Gardens one, either floorless, standard sitdown or even inverted would be a much better investment for the park

Gerstlauer bobsled / launched coaster could be a good buy as much more well rounded replacement for green scream

HighExtreme

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 8/16/07 8:09:54 AM

Hurri:
> I'm not sure about this. I've seen the concept art, it's a
> bit.. strange. If permission is granted and the ride goes
> ahead, it'll be built by a company that has never built a
> ride before, in conjunction with the park's own workshop
> team. The company builds electricity pylons.

Now I've slept on it, I must be honest, I have doubts it will get permission. I see the pylons will be "latticed". Well, I just can't see two pylons - one 65m and one 45m - going ahead, purely from an aesthetic viewpoint!

Still, I hope I'm wrong, as I never like to see any theme park held back with what they want to do.

> To me, that screams unreliability. The fact it will be a
> world's first and there's never been anything like it..
> Might be a good draw to the park but I can't see it
> lasting.

My instinct is that it'll be dramatic, but I wouldn't like to ride it. I'd much rather another roller coaster. Of course, my guess of what the ride does might be totally incorrect.

> To be honest, I'd prefer a retheme of Beelzee Bob's Trail
> for 2008 to this but we'll see. Might get both...

Hmm, I'm surprised it needs a retheme. I don't know if you're allowed to say, but do you think it'd be a total retheme, ie. not a ghost train anymore?

Winged Beast:
> Sounds as though it possibly could be a home-made Mountain
> Glider style coaster, if we're getting something that tall
> why not a more traditional hyper coaster, it could be
> southend's answer big one if they can squeeze it into the
> site

I wholeheartedly agree. I think a traditional coaster is much more appealing.

> Still think that a B&M in a similar vein to Tivoli Gardens
> one, either floorless, standard sitdown or even inverted
> would be a much better investment for the park

> Gerstlauer bobsled / launched coaster could be a good buy
> as much more well rounded replacement for green scream

Yes, I totally agree with all those suggestions. In particular, it'd be a dream come true to have a B&M Floorless in the UK, let alone 50 minutes from me! Also, it'd be lovely to have a Gerstlauer Bobsled that close, as they're so re-rideable (wristband every time for me); and not only are they suitable for the whole family, they're extremely entertaining for everyone too.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 8/16/07 4:27:27 PM

I'mn going with the masses on this one about a B&M or a Gerstlauer as a new coaster, and I believe either Stu or Graeme, have said a Gerstlauer would look good going around the wave swinger(can't think of the name) and I have to agree.

Tim.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 8/16/07 5:20:53 PM

> I'mn going with the masses on this one about a B&M or a
> Gerstlauer as a new coaster, and I believe either Stu or
> Graeme, have said a Gerstlauer would look good going around
> the wave swinger(can't think of the name) and I have to
> agree.

Yep, Stu suggested a Bobsled around Archelon.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Hurri Hurri Profile at 8/16/07 6:06:24 PM

The Trail will become an even better dark ride than it already is, if the retheme goes ahead. It's in dire need of something, near enough every model has been broken by people standing up and grabbing bits of scenery.
All I can say is, if it happens, Beelzee Bob is going Over The Hill...

As for the latticed pylons, I think it'll be the ugliest thing we've ever had, the concept art doesn't look particularly aesthetically pleasing. Part of me wants permission to be denied because I think the Bobs retheme is a better ride to push for 2008 - in 07 we gave you the thrills of Rage, in 08 we balance it out with a family ghost train.. Although the towers could still quite easily be marketed, bigger than we've ever gone before, etc. Part of me wants it to be granted because it will be a very interesting ride experience, sitting 220ft in the air, being able to look down on to the pier hill viewing platform..

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 8/18/07 2:14:28 AM

> I'mn going with the masses on this one about a B&M or a
> Gerstlauer as a new coaster, and I believe either Stu or
> Graeme, have said a Gerstlauer would look good going around
> the wave swinger(can't think of the name) and I have to
> agree.

> Yep, Stu suggested a Bobsled around Archelon.

I was close, wasn't I? I know for one thing it wouldn't be a coaster classified as WGRT.... heheheheheh!

Tim.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 8/22/07 7:25:28 PM

Some more info from Geoff Percival of the Maldon Standard (I'll just quote the new details):

"A SPECTACULAR scenic ride 200ft above Southend seafront has been revealed as part of a new multi-million pound investment.

Philip Miller, the driving force behind Adventure Island, hopes the new ride will be open by February next year.

The ride will stretch across the western side of the theme park, offering uninterrupted views of the Thames estuary and Southend seafront."

Multi-million pound, February and now we know how far apart the pylons would be.

"Adventure Island spokesman Marc Miller said: "This is an entirely new ride which is unique and has been designed especially for Adventure Island.

"The new ride will be based between two towers about 200ft high and will link the two ends of the western side of the theme park.

"It has been designed as a family ride and it will be interactive, with users able to determine a choice of paths between the two pylons."

CHOOSE your path? I was right with the title of this thread! Any idea how this could work?

Maldon Standard

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 8/23/07 2:42:13 AM

It could be a Vertigo styled coaster, mind you I could be wrong.

Tim.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by leon leon Profile at 8/23/07 7:06:17 AM

> It could be a Vertigo styled coaster, mind you I could be
> wrong.

> Tim.

I have to partially agree with you there. It could be a new-style travel ride with a console in fornt of you were you push a button and you can travel on different 'tracks'??!!

Not sure, but this seems the most feasable :P

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 8/23/07 12:08:46 PM

> It could be a Vertigo styled coaster, mind you I could be
> wrong.

> Tim.

> I have to partially agree with you there. It could be a
> new-style travel ride with a console in fornt of you were
> you push a button and you can travel on different
> 'tracks'??!!

> Not sure, but this seems the most feasable :P

Either way to be honest, I think I'd enjoy, and think many might enjoy, even if it does look like an eye sore. I would rather see something else, but it's not really my decision, is it?

Tim.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 8/23/07 3:39:26 PM

As Stu and Tim have said, I think it might be a Mountain Glider style ride, like Vertigo. However, I can't work out this "multiple paths" business.

Sticking with my idea of zip lines zig-zagging back and forth between the two poles, here's a crazy idea:

Anyone remember Donkey Kong? It had sloping platforms stretching from left to right, with ladders dotted along the way. Just a thought, but this ride might be inspired by that!

Just imagine 200ft zigging down to 150ft, then zagging back to 100ft, then 50ft, then the ground... It would look just like Donkey Kong.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 8/23/07 9:56:21 PM

> As Stu and Tim have said, I think it might be a Mountain
> Glider style ride, like Vertigo. However, I can't work out
> this "multiple paths" business.

> Sticking with my idea of zip lines zig-zagging back and
> forth between the two poles, here's a crazy idea:

> Anyone remember Donkey Kong? It had sloping platforms
> stretching from left to right, with ladders dotted along
> the way. Just a thought, but this ride might be inspired by
> that!

> Just imagine 200ft zigging down to 150ft, then zagging back
> to 100ft, then 50ft, then the ground... It would look just
> like Donkey Kong.

We'll just need a hairy ape to throw down barrels. Now that I've read this, it does sound like Donkey Kong.

Tim.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 8/24/07 1:40:04 PM

This is my idea for the ride, or at least what I thought it'd be like before I heard about the "multiple paths": User Submitted Picture

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Hurri Hurri Profile at 8/26/07 10:43:16 AM

That's not a million miles from the artwork, you know.

As far as I can tell you'll only go across and back once.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Hurri Hurri Profile at 8/28/07 6:18:55 PM

The Evening Echo has published a story about the new ride with one of the concept pictures...

Project Aeronaut is confirmed!

Fervec have a site about it theirself which is here.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Clicky!

Re: Aeronaut by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 8/28/07 6:23:02 PM

The local paper have a report on the new ride, project named Aeronaut

Southend Ehco

Re: Aeronaut by Graeme Graeme Profile at 8/29/07 10:44:47 AM

Remarkable.

I don't honestly understand what the ride does, but at least it's something interesting to look forward to. The only new-for-2008 ride for the UK?

Oh, and that article says the 2nd mast will be 35m, not 45m like in the planning application... :S

As an aside, I find it sad that, in the comments section, rather than discuss the ride people are complaining about the cost of the park. It's like the sand sculptures at Great Yarmouth last year. A lot of people thought £6 was too much to ask, which is sad when you consider what fantastic works of art they were. As a result, the exhbition is not back this year.

We don't appreciate anthing good in this country, which is why Canada now has two B&M hypercoasters and we have none.

Re: Aeronaut by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 8/29/07 1:35:38 PM

> Remarkable.

> I don't honestly understand what the ride does, but at
> least it's something interesting to look forward to. The
> only new-for-2008 ride for the UK?

> Oh, and that article says the 2nd mast will be 35m, not 45m
> like in the planning application... :S

> As an aside, I find it sad that, in the comments section,
> rather than discuss the ride people are complaining about
> the cost of the park. It's like the sand sculptures at
> Great Yarmouth last year. A lot of people thought £6 was
> too much to ask, which is sad when you consider what
> fantastic works of art they were. As a result, the
> exhbition is not back this year.

> We don't appreciate anthing good in this country, which is
> why Canada now has two B&M hypercoasters and we have none.

Oh Canada, our home and B&M hyper land!

Honestly though, is a B&M hyper (or Jr. Hyper) too deep for Adventureland's wallets? That's what i wonder.

Tim.

Re: Aeronaut by Graeme Graeme Profile at 8/29/07 6:16:25 PM

> Honestly though, is a B&M hyper (or Jr. Hyper) too deep for
> Adventureland's wallets? That's what i wonder.

Probably, yes, and even a junior hyper would probably need to go around the entire park. It sounds like they wouldn't be prepared to sacrifice any of the old rides.

When I said we don't appreciate quality, I wasn't criticising Adventure Island. I meant people resent high-ish prices even if someone is being an innovator.

That said, I'm not without reservations.

For one thing, I don't know how the ride system works and find it hard to believe it will give you control of flight! Their website seems a bit far-fetched, to be honest. For example, I don't agree with what they say about roller coasters:

"Many modern rides aim at more speed, higher thrill factor and loss of orientation, summing up to seconds of physical tension followed by relaxation upon vehicle stop. Thrill rides, which are all about fear and the kick. In our view no real joy during the ride itself, but a mere feeling of survival. Uncomfortable seats, jerking movements and immoderately narrow turns, besides the disturbing track vibrations can not be the basis for pure enjoyment."

It's ironic that Gerstlauer, also a German company, produce very smooth and comfortable Bobsleds, which I don't feel at all tense on! I'd feel far more nervous on "Aeronaut".

Still, good luck to them, I hope it's a huge hit.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Cal at 8/30/07 9:26:31 AM

It looks interesting but it's rather hard to see exactly what it will be from the company's website. Still, I'll try anything once - even that flying sandwich toaster that used to be at Granada Studios!

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Fraser Fraser Profile at 8/30/07 12:45:34 PM

I really can't make out from either the manufacturer's site, or the article's "artists impression" what the hell the ride
a) Looks like
b) does.
Does Southend know??????

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Hurri Hurri Profile at 8/31/07 3:57:12 AM

It looks like two towers with some cables running between them, also known as an eyesore.

The idea is that you're in your seat and you have full control over how you move, so the main structure of the ride car will move up the tower and across the cables, while you can turn yourself individually to face any way you desire. If you fancy going upside down, you can, if you want a leisurely observation ride, you can do that too..

Call me sceptical if you like but I don't think it'll work very well. I hope to be proven wrong.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 8/31/07 10:32:49 AM

> It looks like two towers with some cables running between
> them, also known as an eyesore.

> The idea is that you're in your seat and you have full
> control over how you move, so the main structure of the
> ride car will move up the tower and across the cables,
> while you can turn yourself individually to face any way
> you desire. If you fancy going upside down, you can, if you
> want a leisurely observation ride, you can do that too..

> Call me sceptical if you like but I don't think it'll work
> very well. I hope to be proven wrong.

I'm becoming more sceptical too. For one thing, do Adventure Island really want people flying about 200ft above the park?

And another thing, why is it so important that no rides are removed? Let's be honest here, Adventure Island is a great park but it isn't full of great rides. You could easily remove some rides or rearrange the flat rides.

Personally, I'd do that and put in a nice, traditional, re-rideable Gerstlauer Bobsled.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Cal at 9/3/07 8:16:00 AM

> Personally, I'd do that and put in a nice, traditional,
> re-rideable Gerstlauer Bobsled.

AAAAAAARGH!

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 9/3/07 9:52:31 AM

>> Personally, I'd do that and put in a nice, traditional,
>> re-rideable Gerstlauer Bobsled.

> AAAAAAARGH!

Well they are. I only rode one in June, and it was the best coaster I've ridden in years, so of course it will continue to influence me.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 9/4/07 10:39:38 AM

Personally, I'd do that and put in a nice,
> traditional,
re-rideable Gerstlauer Bobsled.

> AAAAAAARGH!

> Well they are. I only rode one in June, and it was the best
> coaster I've ridden in years, so of course it will continue
> to influence me.

I agree with Graeme about the Bobsled, maybe not a surprise there, but it would fit in nicely with Adventure Island, and it wouldn't be too expensive either.

Tim.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 9/5/07 10:57:23 AM

> I agree with Graeme about the Bobsled, maybe not a surprise
> there, but it would fit in nicely with Adventure Island,
> and it wouldn't be too expensive either.

Thanks Tim. They are action-packed in the way you might imagine a small, single-car CCI would be.

When I first rode Green Scream (2001), I thought to myself "Imagine what CCI would have done with that space". Well, Bobsleds are exactly what I was thinking of, even though I didn't know about them then.

I know it sounds strange, but there's nothing more irritating than seeing a coaster that doesn't have steep enough drops! Yes, I know I don't like vertical drops, but I don't like them horizontal either! Most wild mice get it exactly right, including Gerstlauer's.

Green Scream's train also looks twice as long as it should be! It's honestly a very irritating ride! Rage looks right, Mini Mega looks right, Barnstormer looks right for a junior coaster, but Green Scream... argh! Still, I'm sure kids like it, and I don't mean that in a condescending way.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Cal at 9/6/07 8:46:51 AM

Seriously, a bob would work very nicely there, but even better would be a Gerstlauer spinning coaster. As you're facing your ride partners rather than back to back (like on Dragon's Fury) you get to enjoy watching them in fits of laugher. Han Katten at BonBon Land in Denmark was such a top laugh. I was almost crying.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 9/7/07 12:06:30 PM

> Seriously, a bob would work very nicely there, but even
> better would be a Gerstlauer spinning coaster. As you're
> facing your ride partners rather than back to back (like on
> Dragon's Fury) you get to enjoy watching them in fits of
> laugher. Han Katten at BonBon Land in Denmark was such a
> top laugh. I was almost crying.

Yes, I'd love to ride a spinning coaster there, however, I am slightly wary of them. I enjoy them and would ride any, but it's a "happy to ride, not so happy to own" sort of thing. The thing that makes me dubious about free-spinning cars is that you can't guarantee what position the riders will be in at all times.

Don't get me wrong though, if there's one manufacturer I'd trust with them, it's Gerstlauer. I'd love to ride one.

Lucky I don't own a theme park and am just a rider, really! :)

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 9/8/07 1:18:29 PM

> Yes, I'd love to ride a spinning coaster there, however, I
> am slightly wary of them. I enjoy them and would ride any,
> but it's a "happy to ride, not so happy to own"
> sort of thing. The thing that makes me dubious about
> free-spinning cars is that you can't guarantee what
> position the riders will be in at all times.

Graeme, the Gerstlauer spinny coasters are much different from the Mauher Solne, but I'd go with one of them myself (Gerstlauer that is).

> Don't get me wrong though, if there's one manufacturer I'd
> trust with them, it's Gerstlauer. I'd love to ride one.

Remember what i told you? Their spinny coasters are the bobsleds with spinning cars... you'd love that. :D

> Lucky I don't own a theme park and am just a rider, really!
> :)

Yeah, you'd have alot of angry enthusiasts. LOL! Somehow though, I think if you did, your coasters would be Gerstlauers and that B&M floorless. :)

Tim.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 9/8/07 5:36:27 PM

> Remember what i told you? Their spinny coasters are the
> bobsleds with spinning cars... you'd love that. :D

Yep, they have about 80% the appeal of a Bobsled to me. Great family fun. If a local park had either, I'm sure we'd go down there and ride it a lot.

> Yeah, you'd have alot of angry enthusiasts. LOL! Somehow
> though, I think if you did, your coasters would be
> Gerstlauers and that B&M floorless. :)

You're right! I'm beginning to think it'd a be a Gerstlauer and B&M park, although I'd still try to fit in a GCI woodie. My water rides would all be slides - ABC rapids slide, straight, airtime slides like at Paulton's and enclosed, twister slides.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 9/8/07 10:50:59 PM

> Remember what i told you? Their spinny coasters are the
> bobsleds with spinning cars... you'd love that. :D

> Yep, they have about 80% the appeal of a Bobsled to me.
> Great family fun. If a local park had either, I'm sure we'd
> go down there and ride it a lot.

> Yeah, you'd have alot of angry enthusiasts. LOL! Somehow
> though, I think if you did, your coasters would be
> Gerstlauers and that B&M floorless. :)

> You're right! I'm beginning to think it'd a be a Gerstlauer
> and B&M park, although I'd still try to fit in a GCI
> woodie. My water rides would all be slides - ABC rapids
> slide, straight, airtime slides like at Paulton's and
> enclosed, twister slides.

Get an Intamin in that park, and I'd have a season pass. ;)

Tim.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Cal at 9/13/07 8:44:32 AM

My park will be an Intamin park. Apart from the wood.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 9/13/07 4:32:20 PM

> My park will be an Intamin park. Apart from the wood.

That's not a real Intamin park then, Cal. ;) Mine would have Intamin wood, or one at least. :D

Tim.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 9/17/07 11:44:10 AM

Aeronaut has been given permission...

Aeronaut Gets Permission

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 9/17/07 5:29:02 PM

Sounds great! Another reason for me to get the family back there. Just have to try Rage, you know!

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 9/19/07 11:26:28 AM

> Sounds great! Another reason for me to get the family back
> there. Just have to try Rage, you know!

You should Chris, I would if I could... after all, it is all the Rage...

Tim.

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 9/19/07 3:33:34 PM

Ho ho, sir!

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 9/24/07 10:09:53 AM

Thank you, I'll be here all week, and don't forget to tip your waitress. ;)

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 11/8/07 7:55:54 AM

A clever chap on the Adventure Island Guide forum has worked out that Aeronaut might have a double purpose - ie. to transmit Southend Radio...

Ad Island Guide

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Hurri Hurri Profile at 11/8/07 2:58:06 PM

That is of course unconfirmed.

But I think he's on to something...

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by d_n_s_u at 11/8/07 3:06:44 PM

> Yikes!!!

> One 200ft pylon, one 150ft pylon... It sounds to me like
> some sort of zip line where you'd start at the top of the
> 200ft pylon, roll to the top of the 150ft pylon; then
> zig-zag back to, say, 100ft on the tall pylon, 50ft on the
> shorter one and then back to the base of the tallest one.

..Could be two mobile phone masts!! :-)

Parks wouldn't conceal these though from the paying public would they?....would they??????

Hey, I'm in a URC posting sort of mood tonight..

Noah's Ark Blackpool

Re: Bizarre New Ride for Adventure Island? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 11/8/07 3:24:34 PM

> ..Could be two mobile phone masts!! :-)

Good idea, hadn't thought of that.

> Hey, I'm in a URC posting sort of mood tonight..

So am I! :)