Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Live from Liseberg!

Live from Liseberg!

Posted: 6/27/07 at 4:45:22 AM
Views: 2858

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Hello greetings from Sweden! We're supposed to be in Norway at the moment but slept in and missed the train this morning, so are currently chilling in our swanky room at Hotel Odin!

Yesterday we arrived in Göteborg and spent the day at Liseberg an incredible park, with some great rides especially the thrilling rush of Lisebergbanana and the terrifying triple down log flume!

Uppswinget the new screaming swing ride had a great setting atop the hill, the park has made fantastic use of the terrain thankfully they've installed some ecslators to help with the climb up to the hill part of the park

The weather wasn't on our side it rained all day, despite the rain the park carried on unaffected

Kanonen was brutal, the park have added extra padding to the straps but it didnt help the vicious side to side jolting, i wanted to like this ride so much but i really couldn't it was just uncomfortable

Balder is exceptional, a ride that truly deserves all the hype it gets, wonderful fast pacing, fantastic tunnels and breathtaking airtime over every dip

I'd like to visit again when it's not raining so i could actually see where i'm going!

The park opened until 10pm and became really magical as the lights started to come on, would really recommend a visit to this great city park

Looking forwrad to Tusenfryd tomorrow . . if we ever get there!

HighExtreme

Re: Live from Liseberg! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/29/07 11:16:05 AM

> Uppswinget the new screaming swing ride had a great setting
> atop the hill, the park has made fantastic use of the
> terrain thankfully they've installed some ecslators to help
> with the climb up to the hill part of the park

Oh, how big is this version?

> Kanonen was brutal, the park have added extra padding to
> the straps but it didnt help the vicious side to side
> jolting, i wanted to like this ride so much but i really
> couldn't it was just uncomfortable

Yes, it's never looked quite right to me. I like compact layouts, but it sounds like it doesn't work with such a powerful launch.

> Balder is exceptional, a ride that truly deserves all the
> hype it gets, wonderful fast pacing, fantastic tunnels and
> breathtaking airtime over every dip

Good to hear. The ride's always looked perfect to me.

Hope you enjoy your trip round Scandinavia! It's just occurred to me, are you on the ECC trip?

Re: Live from Liseberg! by hatt at 6/30/07 7:45:26 AM

> Hope you enjoy your trip round Scandinavia! It's just
> occurred to me, are you on the ECC trip?

The ECC trip hasn't started yet (12th of july).

Re: Live from Liseberg! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/30/07 11:17:38 AM

> The ECC trip hasn't started yet (12th of july).

OK, thanks hatt. Winged Beast, are you going to Gröna Lund or Powerpark? I'd love to ride Thunderbird and Vilda Musen!

Re: Live from Liseberg! by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 6/30/07 11:54:29 AM

> The ECC trip hasn't started yet (12th of july).
> OK, thanks hatt. Winged Beast, are you going to Gröna Lund
> or Powerpark? I'd love to ride Thunderbird and Vilda Musen!

Nope sadly not i'm home now, we visited Liseberg and TusenFryd, on the drive home we popped into Wicksteed Park (reports coming soon)

Originally the plan was to do Liseberg and Gröna Lund, however when we came to book the flights, we couldn't find any "cheap" seats to/from Stockholm in the RyanAir flight sale, but Oslo was an option, so we decided TusenFryd was a park we'd prefer to visit

Both flights with taxes/baaggae fees came to £24.35, which is a bit more in our price range than the huge ECC Scandi trip, i wish i could afford the time and the money to go on!

HighExtreme

Re: Live from Liseberg! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 6/30/07 1:18:40 PM

Stu, good Tr as always! A few quick questions, how is Lisberbanan running? Has it gotten rough at all? Second question, is that an Afterburner I see in the Balder pic?

Tim.

Re: Live from Liseberg! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/30/07 3:10:43 PM

> Second
> question, is that an Afterburner I see in the Balder pic?

I think I can answer that one! Not all the pics will load up for me, but is it a 5-sided one? If so, I believe that's a Zamperla ride (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'd love to know how it compares to the KMG.

Re: Live from Liseberg! by Cal at 7/3/07 8:25:18 AM

Nice report! Just over a week before I'm in Scandinavia myself! Woot!

Re: Tales from Tusenfryd by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 11/18/07 2:15:26 PM

It's taken a while but I've finally got around to concluding this report from Scandinavia, the final stop on our trip was a 5 hour train ride form Gothenburg to Oslo, TusenFryd is a short bus ride away from the city's main bus station

Speed Monster is a great entrance feature, it was exciting to see it test running as we waited for the admission kiosks to open

They also had the multiple appendage costumed character out to greet everyone waiting

As soon as the gates open we legged it straight to Speed Monster, the ride looks very smartly presented the small cars suit the formula 1 themeing, the loading is very fast and efficient, they have great signs which explain where to put your belongings and how to close your restraint, the bag cupboard is so brilliantly designed there's a small shelf for wallets/phones, hooks for keys and a trunk for bags, your train's side of the cupboard is then locked while the other train loads – from working on a few rides this is the best system I've ever seen and would save a lot of delays caused during loading

Speed Monster is a cracking ride, the brisk launch has a lengthy run up into the first element giving you time to savour the thrill of the initial acceleration, the Norwegian loop is great with some wonderful hang time, there's a forceful speed turn into an airtime hill before those strange flips (ouch with the OTSR) and corkscrew finishes the ride

Thundercoaster is rooted onto the park's dramatic hillside, the mainly twister design has a few airtime moments and they've added a new tunnel this season to the bottom of second drop that plunges down the side of the hill

We found the coasters switched personality during the day, Speed Monster is a morning coaster very perky early on but getting more vicious as the day rolled on, where as Thundercoaster took a while to warm up, it was almost boring in the morning but by the afternoon it was running wild

Loopen was an okay Vekoma Tornado model coaster, I quite liked it and SuperSplash was a fun addition to the park with that infamous sea monster watching over the slightly moist antics

TusenFryd also had a small waterpark included in admission but we didn't take our Belgium's to go for a dip

Adz and Jai lost their SkyCoaster virginity, it was a pay extra attraction and actually the only queue of the day, hanging free from a wire in a sleeping bag certainly induces a major adrenaline rush, the experience for me is absolutely terrifying not knowing when you're going to reach the top as you face down stare at the ground getting further and further away as you climb higher and higher until its time to pull the cord!

Other rides included a polyp, log flume, wave swinger, haunted walk-thru, Japp (some kind of Norwegian chocolate bar) Spaceshot and Roll Over a bizarre mondial mix of roll over and top spin with water fountains embedded into the platform which I likened to riding a hanging basket of doom

TusenFryd was a fantastic park, a great selection of rides set in stunning landscaping, the hilltop location gave a nice view over the breathtaking local scenery too

HighExtreme

Re: Tales from Tusenfryd by Graeme Graeme Profile at 11/18/07 3:06:50 PM

Stu, thanks for the TR. Your photos and presentation were amazing.

In the top-left photo I can see what looks like a yellow water slide. Is this part of the water park, or is it one of my beloved ABC/WhiteWater West-type rapids slides? :)

Anyway, good to hear what Thundercoaster is like at the moment.

Re: Live from Liseberg! by Cal at 11/20/07 8:24:11 AM

I had a great time there too, although it rained! I loved Speed Monster and didn't find it too rough. We had an ERS in the evening and I rode in just about every row. Maybe height affects things somewhat - I'm 5'7 (1m70) but have a long back so am tall sitting down if that makes sense.

I loved Thunder Coaster. It's brutal and rough but at the same time, really really fun. The airtime is insane!

Did you find any Swedish Plopp bars when you were out there? That name made me laugh (it tastes like a Cadbury's Caramel though).

Re: Live from Liseberg! by Fraser Fraser Profile at 11/20/07 5:30:50 PM

Plopp bars will be wending their way to yuo very soon Cal.......

Re: Live from Liseberg! by Fraser Fraser Profile at 11/20/07 5:31:41 PM

Plopp bars will be wending their way to you very soon Cal.......

Re: Live from Liseberg! by JaiB JaiB Profile at 11/29/07 8:44:42 PM

Hehe good too see something of this trip finally online, me and Stu are hopefully gonna get our acts together and get some features up on his loverrrly site over the closed season!

Japp and Plopp Bars, We seen them but I cant remember why we didn't buy any hmm... lol! :)

JaiB!

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Live from Liseberg! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 11/30/07 9:16:45 AM

Stu, how does Thundercoaster add up to both of Vekoma's two other woodies regarding smoothness and air?

Re: Live from Liseberg! by Cal at 12/4/07 5:45:21 AM

I haven't ridden Robin Hood or Loup Garou but what I will say about Thundercoaster is that it's quite rough, but the airtime is immense. The ride actually doesn't have much Vekoma about it...it was built by Allott and Lomax. The trains and I'd imagine the mechanical parts (like the chain lift) are Vekoma, but other than that it's mostly an in house design.
As a ride, I really liked it. It's not too bad if you avoid sitting over a wheel, and the amount of air you get makes up for any joggling around you're subjected to.
I actually preferred it to Balder because at least it had some life to it. Balder actually bored me after a couple of rides.

Re: Live from Liseberg! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/4/07 9:03:54 AM

> The ride actually doesn't have much
> Vekoma about it...it was built by Allott and Lomax. The
> trains and I'd imagine the mechanical parts (like the chain
> lift) are Vekoma, but other than that it's mostly an in
> house design.

We actually had the designer on here once, and I'm sure he said it wasn't designed for Vekoma trains.

Who know what sort of trains it was designed for? 2-bench PTC, at a guess.