Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Vision for Dreamland - Heritage Amusement Park

Vision for Dreamland - Heritage Amusement Park

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
4/30/07 at
11:19:08 AM

Views: 2755

The Save Dreamland Campaign has commissioned Jean-Marc Toussaint to do another plan for Margate.

This follows the site owners, Waterbridge, exhibiting two modest alternative plans: one with a small amusement park behind the Scenic, the other with the Scenic relocated.

Save Dreamland's plan, however, is superb. The "Heritage Amusement Park" gathers together many of the rides in the UK that have recently closed.

Seeing the Runaway Coaster on the plan shows just how much of a shame it was that it was demolished recently. Never mind. I suggest that instead, the UK's greatest side-friction coaster should be rebuilt - Clacton's Steel Stella!

Anyway, I think the plan is superb and the heritage angle will be a big hit with the public. I think it would be a sort of paradise, immune to changing fashions. Imagine stepping into a park where not just the rides, but the atmosphere too, would echo the past.

It's clear to us where most of the rides would come from, but I'm particularly interested in the ghost train, haunted mine and river caves. Would these be genuine vintage rides, or new technology done in the old style?

A big thumbs up!

Save Dreamland

Re: Vision for Dreamland - Heritage Amusement Park by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 5/5/07 10:30:11 AM

> The Save Dreamland Campaign has commissioned Jean-Marc
> Toussaint to do another plan for Margate.

> This follows the site owners, Waterbridge, exhibiting two
> modest alternative plans: one with a small amusement park
> behind the Scenic, the other with the Scenic relocated.

> Save Dreamland's plan, however, is superb. The
> "Heritage Amusement Park" gathers together many
> of the rides in the UK that have recently closed.

> Seeing the Runaway Coaster on the plan shows just how much
> of a shame it was that it was demolished recently. Never
> mind. I suggest that instead, the UK's greatest
> side-friction coaster should be rebuilt - Clacton's Steel
> Stella!

> Anyway, I think the plan is superb and the heritage angle
> will be a big hit with the public. I think it would be a
> sort of paradise, immune to changing fashions. Imagine
> stepping into a park where not just the rides, but the
> atmosphere too, would echo the past.

> It's clear to us where most of the rides would come from,
> but I'm particularly interested in the ghost train, haunted
> mine and river caves. Would these be genuine vintage rides,
> or new technology done in the old style?

> A big thumbs up!

I would like to see something good happen to Dreamland, but I wonder, could the Scenic take a relocation?

Tim.

Re: Vision for Dreamland - Heritage Amusement Park by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/6/07 7:57:37 AM

> I would like to see something good happen to Dreamland, but
> I wonder, could the Scenic take a relocation?

According to the Save Dreamland Campaign, no. And I must admit, it has a very long footprint so would need a lot of flat land. Still, I'd rather it was relocated than demolished.

Save Dreamland

Re: Vision for Dreamland - Heritage Amusement Park by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/14/07 5:35:00 PM

Update: The Save Dreamland Campaign has begun removing and storing the remaining Pleasureland rides!

As well as the coasters and vintage flat rides, this explains where most of the dark ride technology is coming from too (don't know why I didn't think of that; I suppose I assumed they'd been demolished).

What can I say? I'm incredibly impressed. This makes Save Dreamland's position so much stronger - they have the rides, and can offer so much to Margate.

It's also a fantastic gesture of goodwill from Sefton Council. So nice to see it still exists with some organisations.

Save Dreamland News

Re: Vision for Dreamland - Heritage Amusement Park by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 6/21/07 7:46:16 PM

> Update: The Save Dreamland Campaign has begun
> removing and storing the remaining Pleasureland rides!

> As well as the coasters and vintage flat rides, this
> explains where most of the dark ride technology is coming
> from too (don't know why I didn't think of that; I suppose
> I assumed they'd been demolished).

> What can I say? I'm incredibly impressed. This makes Save
> Dreamland's position so much stronger - they have the
> rides, and can offer so much to Margate.

> It's also a fantastic gesture of goodwill from Sefton
> Council. So nice to see it still exists with some
> organisations.

This is good news indeed! I'm glad that this actually getting off the ground with some positivity. Keep the good news coming, Grazza. :)

Tim.