Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City

Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City

mikejenkins1
Posted: 10/6/06 at 12:04:43 PM
Views: 7138

Has anyone visited this park and been able to ride this attraction? I am curious to how it really is like. Also, I would love to get an on-ride video of this. Does anyone have one or know where to find one?

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 10/6/06 12:23:53 PM

Reports are hard to come by, because the ride is notorious for having more downtime as the Deja Vus.
I have talked to two people who have been to the park and the ride has always been closed. They have been full of praise for Anaconda, btw.
RCDB lists it as SBNO.
When it opened it just had lapbars which have been modied to OTSR later.
I remember that the ride used to be credited to Giovanola but it is more likely a patchwork project with Nauta-Bussink at the lead.

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by mikejenkins1 at 10/6/06 12:51:09 PM

Yeah, I found the site giantrides.com and it references the Tower Of Terror (Richard Bussink) as the creator. I have contacted several people who have been there and yes told me SBNO. It 'was' supposedly to recently re-open and I wondered if anyone out there has had a chance to get there, photograph, and video the ride. Still looking for more contacts who might have a vid.

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/7/06 11:32:01 AM

> Has anyone visited this park and been able to ride this
> attraction? I am curious to how it really is like. Also, I
> would love to get an on-ride video of this. Does anyone
> have one or know where to find one?

I wonder too if there has been anyone who has been on the ride, and give a heads up to what it is like.

Tim.

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by Cal at 10/9/06 5:27:02 PM

It looks fantastic. I hope they get it sorted out someday!

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by Jakes1 at 1/8/07 4:39:12 AM

> Has anyone visited this park and been able to ride this
> attraction? I am curious to how it really is like. Also, I
> would love to get an on-ride video of this. Does anyone
> have one or know where to find one?

Hi there guys. Im a South African and I have just visited Gold Reef City last friday. The Tower of Terror is under refurbishment (10 million Rands - approx 1,5 million USD). Unfortunately not open yet - but I have been on the ride about 12 times before it closed for refurbishment.

The old ride was absolutely terrifying! You go up to the top of one of those mine towers - taking a few minutes. At the top you have another minute to admire the view - gold mine dumps to the south and to the north the city centre with its skyscrapers. Then the ride gets serious.

You near the drop in your eight seater cocopan. Slowly you start going over the edge (this feels like hours). And then suddenly you drop 55metres vertically into a mine shaft - 40metres above ground - 15metres below.

The new ride has much better carriages - saw them last week. Also think capacity will be better - each ride took 8 brave souls but with an average of 5minutes to a ride it took quite some time to make the waiting lines shorter.

The new ride was due to open August 2006, then October, then December - and now they say January.

Entrance fees to GRC? 100 South African Rand - approx 15 USD today. Other rides? Not much to choose from, this is South Africa remember!

On friday most of the main thrill rides were closed (They are overhaulin most of the rides.)

Other rides?
The Anaconda - very very fun and smooth inverted coaster. Two loops and a couple of corkscrews. Very scary drop at the beginning.

The golden loop - 0 - 100km/h in a few seconds, one loop but then you come back again.

The jozi express - Very very mild but fun coaster. no loops. not really smooth.

Falls - those wonderfull waterfall coasters - wet wet wet - bad during a joburg winter but awesome in summer. Two drops.

River Rapids - crazy water ride - you get wet, you also get to see the lovely sleek anaconda from quite a few angles!

The Wheel - 60metres high, great views of johannesburg

A newly opened 4D theatre is also getting a lot of attention. it was cute, but not really my cup of tea.

Miners Revenge
Dream Boat
UFO
Runnaway train
etc etc

All of the new rides are nicely themed, but this is no six flags. You can go down a mine for a tour though - very cool. African Gumboot miner dances are awesome to see. Park is a cultural and historical trip down johannesburg's rich yet turbulant past. You can also visit the Apartheid's Museum next to Gold Reef City to get an idea of what the country went through on its way to freedom. Johannesburg (we call her Jozi or Joburg) has a complex, rich and interesting history.

I will be on the new tower of terror as soon as it opens - will let you know how it went! Gold Reef City in conclusion? The Tower of Terror is spectacular - the rest of the rides are average. The main draw card of this theme park is its history - built on the site of a previous goldmine. A place to see joburg, and South AFrica as it once was.

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by Cal at 1/8/07 7:05:07 AM

Thanks for the report! The ride looks very impressive and I did wonder what it would be like to ride.

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by Jakes1 at 1/22/07 1:58:06 AM

> Thanks for the report! The ride looks very impressive and I
> did wonder what it would be like to ride.

Its opening April 2007. For more info go to goldreefcity.co.za.

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by scotishpielette at 2/13/07 5:33:13 PM

The Tower of Teror is the most fear inducing coaster I've ever been on!!!! Period!!

I used to live in SA.. and went to the park often during lunch-time to ride the golden loop (Shuttle).

But when I went back on holiday a while back... The Tower of Terror was there... and I can say that once I rode it..... I did'nt want to ride it again!!!

But I did when I went back 2 years later... and still feel the same.... my friend who was with me during the second time was almost crying!!!! And would not go back on it either!!
Its a great ride... but not one to do over and over... un less u have nerves of steel!!

Gary

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by scotishpielette at 2/13/07 5:35:42 PM

And actually if u check out some of rcdb pix's.. u'll see that I took at least 2

Gary Mc

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/14/07 9:36:27 AM

> Its a great ride... but not one to do over and over... un
> less u have nerves of steel!!

That's a good point about scary coasters - they're definitely less re-rideable.

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by Jakes1 at 3/28/07 4:56:34 AM

It is officially reopening on Arpil 7! Cant wait, have been on it loads of times, but must agree with others -it is the scariest thing I have done in terms of rollercoasters. A real assult on your nerves. But the high after you complete it is amazing!

Cant wait

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 3/28/07 9:48:18 AM

> It is officially reopening on Arpil 7! Cant wait, have been
> on it loads of times, but must agree with others -it is the
> scariest thing I have done in terms of rollercoasters. A
> real assult on your nerves. But the high after you complete
> it is amazing!

> Cant wait

Jakes, thank you so much for the update, perhaps we'll get a TR from you as well?

Graeme,
> Its a great ride... but not one to do over and over... un
> less u have nerves of steel!!

That's a good point about scary coasters - they're definitely less re-rideable.

Damnit, Grazza, you know I want to make a joke, I really do... but I'm trying to hold it inside. ;) All jokes aside, vertical drops are intimidating, Impulse coasters aside, but I would ride Tower of Terror at least once, just to say I did. It almost looks like SA's answer to a Dive Machine.

Tim.

Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by nevilleschubach nevilleschubach Profile at 7/6/07 3:21:44 AM

Whoever did not go on the Tower of Terror yet, is losing out on so much! It is definitely one of the most intense...no wait! It is the most intense vertical drop coaster in the world! I have been on it countless times, but the worst is...I get scared every single time!

On one occassion I heard someone in the waiting-line say that this ride is purely a mental challenge...can anyone really agree? I think just the very idea of dropping a staggering 50m straight down, entering a fake, but extremely claustrofobic, mineshaft, experiencing a 6.3G-inducing fallout, after which you are "launced" from the underground is enough for most of the normal, sane people to say:"NO WAYS!" So what do you guys think? Mental or physical?

According to me it is more mental than physical seeing that I'm studying psychology and know the effects of stress on the human body(who don't?). Anyways, I think the ride is really not good for anybody's sanity in general, but I still love it!

Later!

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 7/6/07 7:59:30 AM

> Whoever did not go on the Tower of Terror yet, is losing
> out on so much! It is definitely one of the most
> intense...no wait! It is the most intense vertical drop
> coaster in the world! I have been on it countless times,
> but the worst is...I get scared every single time!

Wow great to read your thoughts on Tower of Terror nevilleschubach, it really brought the experience alive i can just imagine the extreme anticipation factor as you climb up to the top of that fiendish drop!

I must say its great news that this infamous roller coaster is finally up and running after a period of uncertainty

There are some wonderful photographs of the park to be found on Richard Bannister's Website

I've heard lots of reviews of Anaconda that say that's also a very intense ride, would love to visit Gold Reef City it looks an interesting park indeed

HighExtreme

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/6/07 5:56:50 PM

> On one occassion I heard someone in the waiting-line say
> that this ride is purely a mental challenge...can anyone
> really agree? I think just the very idea of dropping a
> staggering 50m straight down, entering a fake, but
> extremely claustrofobic, mineshaft, experiencing a
> 6.3G-inducing fallout, after which you are
> "launced" from the underground is enough for most
> of the normal, sane people to say:"NO WAYS!" So
> what do you guys think? Mental or physical?

Mental, although as it happens, 6.3G is probably the strongest in the world (on a coaster).

Anaconda, on the other hand, is probably more physically intense than it is psychologically scary. If it's anything like Nemesis, that is. I hardly find Nemesis scary at all, but most people exit the ride with a slight headache and/or feeling sick.

I've always thought Tower of Terror was probably one notch scarier than the B&M dive machines (which are terrifying themselves) and therefore, yes, the scariest coaster in the world. Perhaps nowadays Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka are scarier, although they are probably a lot more physically intense too.

Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by nevilleschubach nevilleschubach Profile at 7/12/07 7:26:01 AM

Hey guys!

I would like to extend a word of thanks to "The winged beast" and "Greame" for actually taking time to reply to my comments on the Tower of Terror. I did not expect to get a reply in the first place!

Yes, I have to let you know...IT'S FINALLY OPEN!!!
Want to go to Gold Reef City in two days time, especially just to go and experience the new, upgraded version of the "old" scare-machine!

If I do not go this weekend, I will definitely be going somewhere in this month...(It's still school holiday here in S.A).

Anyway...thanks again guys and hope to hear from you...soon.

Later!

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 7/13/07 1:55:51 PM

Does the ride now have "floorless" cars as well? I think I remember seeing some new rolling stock for the ride.

Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by nevilleschubach nevilleschubach Profile at 7/20/07 1:58:07 AM

Hey guys!
Would just like to say that I did not go to Gold Reef City yet, but our Communication class is planning a trip there in two weeks time...the 31 July!

I will let you know as soon as I get to experience the new upgraded version of the Tower of Terror.

By the way, I,ve also heard of the so-called "floorless" design being incorporated into the newer version of the ride. I do hope that this will only stay a rumour as this will lower the overall suspense created by the original vehicle's visual barrier. "Floorless" might be the new craze, but I don't think it will do the original ride any justice at all...just have to wait and see, I guess...

Later!

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by mikejenkins1 at 7/23/07 2:51:14 PM

Ok. so back to my original question. Does anyone have a downloadable video of this ride ? Since I will problably not get there I would love video of it (on ride especially).

Michael

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/24/07 5:37:29 PM

Try youtube, they seem to have alot.

Tim.

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by mikejenkins1 at 7/25/07 7:36:23 AM

I was told once that there is a video out there of it, but they searched, and searched and searched and could not find it. But if anyone knows of a POV or offride video of this ride, please contact me.

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by mikejenkins1 at 11/29/07 3:03:45 PM

So just curious, has anyone been back to the park and have a video (hopefully pov) of this ride in action?

Re: Gold Reef City Video by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 11/30/07 3:31:26 PM

> So just curious, has anyone been back to the park and have
> a video (hopefully pov) of this ride in action?

Just had a search myself, i found a nice compliation of a lot of the rides at the park, it includes a quick ride on tower of terror, but the camera is facing onto the back row watching the riders facial expressions

HighExtreme

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by nevilleschubach nevilleschubach Profile at 12/14/07 12:14:33 AM

Hey guys! Goodness gracious, long time, absolutely no hear!

FINALLY been to Gold Reef to experience the upgraded version of the Tower of Terror...and it remains the best thrill ride in the world.

I have bad news, though. The very first, very noticeable difference is the actual vehicle. You don't have just lapbars anymore(!), which was replaced by over-the-shoulder restraints! Imagine! What is worse, though, is the design of the car...it's not a car with any side and front anymore! OMG! JUST NOTICE - It's NOT 'floorless'! Believe me, that would've been suicide!

The new lift system works swell! It almost act like a tower-launch ride. Giving your stomach a good rollover...

Getting to the top they don't let you dangle over the edge like before! Boring! What they do instead is let the vehicle just stand there, upright, when the brake release and the vehicle creep slowly forward...not as terrifying as before, but then the drop still make up for that...

Guys, overall verdict...Not as terrifying as before, but still there to do one thing...INTIMIDATE.

I must admit that the people that didn't ride the older version still found it an absolutely, thoroughly DISTURBING experience! The lady in the queue in front of me almost fainted upon their return to the station. Just a little extra...

Later
:-)

Re: Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City by mikejenkins1 at 12/20/07 10:58:41 AM

Did you happen to get any picturs/video of the new ride we could see?