Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The looping slide is back

The looping slide is back

hatt
Posted: 10/2/06 at 8:11:15 PM
Views: 2301

Apparently they are testing seriously this thing since some years. I guess you know german safety restrictions, so apparently they are really on the way to build one of those...

The looping slide...

Re: The looping slide is back by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/4/06 10:34:46 AM

> Apparently they are testing seriously this thing since some
> years. I guess you know german safety restrictions, so
> apparently they are really on the way to build one of
> those...

You know, I'm fairly brave at new rides, but that drop and loop would be one of those 'I'll watch it once or twice before going on.' Interesting link though.

Tim.

Re: The looping slide is back by ross_keen at 10/9/06 5:01:11 PM

As much fun as this looks could it be a wind up?

Think safety, this could never work.

Think of the speed the water would need to be going at to go round the loop.

What happens if you dont clear the loop? Answer is a broken neck or you get stuck at the foot of the drop hill and the loop. And how do you get out from there?

For anyone who's been to Splash Landings or Blackpool's Sandcastle, they'll verify just how hard the jets are in the flumes just to get riders up relatively small hills, never mind through a loop.

Re: The looping slide is back by hatt at 11/29/06 10:29:07 PM

> those...

The german TUEV really approved the ride and the first one will be built in a german waterpark and will open in summer 2007! Well, this is really interesting...

Re: The looping slide is back by Nemesis_BC Nemesis_BC Profile at 12/5/06 3:03:40 PM

> those...

They had one over at a park in the states called Action Park in New Jersey. They had all sorts of problems with it, injuries, people getting stuck in the tube, lack of water in it etc.. so they shut it down. That one in the article doesn't look any better. I cant find any pictures but here is the Wikipedia article on it.

The looping water slide

The one ride that has come to symbolize Action Park and its extreme thrill-seeking was, paradoxically, almost never used.

In the mid-1980s GAR built an enclosed water slide, not unusual for that time, and indeed the park already had several. But for this one they decided to build, at the end, a complete vertical loop of the kind more commonly associated with roller coasters.[13] Employees have reported they were offered hundred-dollar bills to test it. "It didn't buy enough booze to drown out the memory", said Fergus.[8]

It was opened for one month in summer 1985 before it was closed at the order of the state's Advisory Board on Carnival Amusement Ride Safety, a highly unusual move at the time.[10] One worker told a local newspaper that "there were too many bloody noses and back injuries" from riders, and it was widely rumored that some of the test dummies sent down before it was opened had been dismembered.[10] A rider also reportedly got stuck at the top of the loop due to insufficient water pressure, and a hatch had to be built there to allow for future extrications.[10]

It supposedly reopened a few more times over the years. In summer 1995 it opened for several days before a few more injuries forced another shutdown.

Those who did ride it have said that more safety measures were taken than was otherwise common at the park. Riders were weighed and hosed down with cold water, required to remove jewelry, and then carefully instructed in how they had to position their bodies to complete the ride.[14]

For the remainder of the park's existence, it remained visible near the entrance of Waterworld, tempting visitors with the possibility of the thrilling ride it might have offered yet tempering it with the high potential for injury that was just as obvious from looking at it.

Re: The looping slide is back by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/5/06 4:38:56 PM

> I cant find any pictures but here
> is the Wikipedia article on it.

For those who have Mark Wyatt's "White Knuckle Ride", flick to the back and there's a picture.

Re: The looping slide is back by hatt at 1/17/08 3:54:38 AM

Apparently the slide is on it's way. Right now the company Klarer has built a test slide on their facilities (follow the link). Unfortunately this one has too high forces (around 6g), which forced the company to build another version, which will have a wider radius.
Though not ready yet, it's already sold to a leisure pool in western germany and will have strict restrictions when it will open for this summer: you are only allowed to use it, when you are not heavier than 100 kg.
Scary.

With picture

Re: The looping slide is back by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/17/08 9:06:32 AM

> Apparently the slide is on it's way. Right now the company
> Klarer has built a test slide on their facilities (follow
> the link). Unfortunately this one has too high forces
> (around 6g), which forced the company to build another
> version, which will have a wider radius.
> Though not ready yet, it's already sold to a leisure pool
> in western germany and will have strict restrictions when
> it will open for this summer: you are only allowed to use
> it, when you are not heavier than 100 kg.
> Scary.

I could be 100kg, I really don't know. I'm certainly around 90kg+.

I do like slides, but I wonder if it's more trouble than it's worth. I mean, loops aren't exactly amazing on a roller coaster (they're good for variety, and it's easy to do, but just not that exciting); water slides are about the thrill of slipping down a tube.

Presumably, on a water slide you'd have to go so fast, with such high Gs, you might not realise you're upside-down. It'd be like a Schwarzkopf!

Re: The looping slide is back by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/22/08 2:02:03 AM

> Presumably, on a water slide you'd have to go so fast, with
> such high Gs, you might not realise you're upside-down.
> It'd be like a Schwarzkopf!

So then surely there will be some blacking out then. ;)

Re: The looping slide is back by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 1/25/08 10:00:39 PM

Perhaps they could get the cast from Jack Ass to be guinea pigs. Or does Europe have their own troops of fools to show us how its done?

Mikey Mad

Re: The looping slide is back by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 1/26/08 2:52:19 PM

There are two volunteers who test the ride with the technical surveillance authority and the manufacturer.