Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Accident on Euro-Mir

Accident on Euro-Mir

Posted: 7/29/04 at 3:08:08 PM
Views: 1880

This afternoon there was a power outage at Europa Park that caused the rides to e-stop.
When the operators tried to manually bring the Euro_Mir traisn back to the station, they opened one block brake too early so that one train collided with a parked one.
Seventeen riders were slightly injured, one girl suffered a broken leg.
The other riders could leave the ride on their own, but were brought to a nearby hospital to check them.

The ride is alledgely back in operation since the accident was 100% caused by operator error.

I still can´t figure why or how the wrong blockbrake could be opened. Its even more questionable why the trains were not evacuated before they started to fumble on the brakes.

Re: Accident on Euro-Mir by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/29/04 4:39:33 PM

Oh dear. Block zone "error" is sadly not unprecedented on coasters. Maybe they should make it so block zones can't be manually released if there's a car/train occupying the one in front? Or maybe that would be more dangerous in some situations, I don't know?

Other than that, perhaps the best manufacturers can do is make the trains able to withstand collision as well as possible. I'm just glad the injuries weren't worse than they were.

> Its even more
> questionable why the trains were not evacuated
> before they started to fumble on the brakes.

Good point.

Re: Accident on Euro-Mir by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/30/04 9:56:34 AM

I'm just glad no one was killed, but human error like that should not have been in the equasion.

Tim.

Anton Schwarzkopf Site

Re: Accident on Euro-Mir by nemesis26 at 8/26/04 4:38:17 PM

> This afternoon there was a power outage at Europa
> Park that caused the rides to e-stop.
> When the operators tried to manually bring the
> Euro_Mir traisn back to the station, they opened
> one block brake too early so that one train
> collided with a parked one.
> Seventeen riders were slightly injured, one girl
> suffered a broken leg.
> The other riders could leave the ride on their
> own, but were brought to a nearby hospital to
> check them.

> The ride is alledgely back in operation since the
> accident was 100% caused by operator error.
accidents happen!!!!!!!!

> I still can´t figure why or how the wrong
> blockbrake could be opened. Its even more
> questionable why the trains were not evacuated
> before they started to fumble on the brakes.

>