Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Bat

The Bat

Posted: 2/1/04 at 2:17:03 PM
Views: 2267

I wish one of our parks asked Vekoma to make a successful rebuild of The Bat, the first modern suspended coaster, which opened at PKI but was soon taken down.

I was reading about it last night. Apparently, it had two 100ft lift hills, and the ride is generally thought to be incomparable. There is a great shot on RCDB of most of the layout.

Another Arrow suspended I'd like to ride is Hayabusa at Tokyo Summerland. It's 137'10" with a 124'8" drop!!!

I've never been as taken with a steelie as I was with The Vampire and I'm quite gutted no UK park ever tried to better it. For me, inverted coasters aren't as good at all. I do like the B&M ones, but upon last riding an SLC, I was struck how it is not at all a proper evolution of the swing coaster.

All I hope is that next time a park can't afford a B&M inverted, instead of buying an SLC, they ask Vekoma to make them a large, thrilling custom suspended...

RCDB

Re: The Bat by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 2/1/04 2:48:59 PM

> I wish one of our parks asked Vekoma to make a
> successful rebuild of The Bat, the first
> modern suspended coaster, which opened at PKI but
> was soon taken down.

The funny thing with the BATs reputation is that it is either glorified by people who were very young back then or who never got a chance to ride it.
Most riders with a reasonable track count say that it was clearly not all the rage and inferior to later suspended coasters.

I still wonder how Arrow could be so stubborn to repeat EVERY single mistake that MBB did seven years (!) earlier on their "Alpenflug" suspended coaster.

Without sounding too negative, but did you ever ride one of those Vekoma Suspendeds? They are not too great either.

EAS

Re: Bellewaerde Swing Coaster? by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 2/1/04 2:57:32 PM

I read on screamscape that Bellewaerde Park, Belgium are looking to add a Vekoma suspended swinging floorless coaster as they were impressed by the new vampire at Chessington, does anybody know if thereís any truth to this?

link:
http://www.screamscape.com/html/small_foreign_parks.html

Re: The Bat by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/1/04 3:02:08 PM

> Most riders with a reasonable track count say
> that it was clearly not all the rage and inferior
> to later suspended coasters.

Oh well, there are still some very highly-rated ones though: Canada's Vortex, PKI Top Gun, Big Bad Wolf and, I guess, Hayabusa.

Maybe not rebuild the Bat, but I'm sure it's possible to make one better than The Vampire.

> Without sounding too negative, but did you ever
> ride one of those Vekoma Suspendeds? They are not
> too great either.

No, but as far as I know, they are the only company that actually offers a swing coaster. Arrow did, but I don't know if S&S-Arrow do. Vekoma can make great custom loopers, mine trains etc, so I don't see why they couldn't make a great suspended.

I'm assuming any existing tame Vekoma suspendeds are because the park wanted that or could only afford a small size?

Re: Bellewaerde Swing Coaster? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/1/04 3:08:28 PM

> I read on screamscape that Bellewaerde Park,
> Belgium are looking to add a Vekoma suspended
> swinging floorless coaster as they were impressed
> by the new vampire at Chessington, does anybody
> know if thereís any truth to this?

They demonstrate great taste! Imagine a coaster as good as PKI Top Gun or the similar Vortex. Now wouldn't that put the park on the map?!!

Re: Bellewaerde Swing Coaster? by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 2/1/04 3:16:02 PM

> They demonstrate great taste! Imagine a coaster
> as good as PKI Top Gun or the similar Vortex. Now
> wouldn't that put the park on the map?!!

It certainly would put the park on the map, perhaps thatís what six flags are looking for, as it has leaked they are going to break up the European group and sell some parks off, I imagine with already having Six Flags Belgium they are more likely get rid of Bellewaerde, and what better time to sell that park than after an exciting new landmark coaster has just been introduced and the parks profile is at itís highest.

Re: Bellewaerde Swing Coaster? by hatt at 2/1/04 3:29:18 PM

> I read on screamscape that Bellewaerde Park,
> Belgium are looking to add a Vekoma suspended
> swinging floorless coaster as they were impressed
> by the new vampire at Chessington, does anybody
> know if thereís any truth to this?

I don't think that this rumor is true. You know, there are a lot of rumors floating around about the park and since some time there are nearly every year some meesages about a wooden coaster or a vekoma coaster popping up and I won't believe them until I'll see a new attraction by myself.

Re: The Bat by Belgian at 2/2/04 6:55:16 AM

Bellewaerde Park has the plans for a custom designed Swinging Suspended Vekoma, but they don't get the money from Six Flags.
Six Flags Belgium is building a karting track for 2004...they need money, loads of it ! Last season, due to Tutankhamon, they had a loss bigger than the turnover.

And Six Flags would be stupid to sell Bellewaerde Park...it's the only European park to make good profit every season.

Re: Dark Ride Costs by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/2/04 1:26:17 PM

> Last
> season, due to Tutankhamon, they had a loss
> bigger than the turnover.

Oops! Never mind the Curse of Tutankhamon, this is more like the Curse of the Dark Ride!

I wonder if running costs for Valhalla (and PMBO maintenance) are contributing to the extremely steep new BPB wristband price - allegedly £28!!!