Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Thriller and Olympia

Thriller and Olympia

Posted: 6/21/00 at 4:38:20 PM
Views: 1009

Are there more than one of each of these two coasters?

Since you have been talking about Schwarzkopfs, I have become far more interested in them.

Shame Thriller has gone to Texas. If it could be brought to England, I would swap all our Vekomas (apart from TRAUMAtizer and Millennium Coaster) for it.

Graeme.

Re: Thriller and Olympia by Cal at 6/22/00 5:33:43 AM

> Are there more than one of each of these two
> coasters?

> Since you have been talking about Schwarzkopfs, I
> have become far more interested in them.

> Shame Thriller has gone to Texas. If it could be
> brought to England, I would swap all our Vekomas
> (apart from TRAUMAtizer and Millennium Coaster)
> for it.

> Graeme.

There is only one of each although there has been talk of Wieland Schwarzkopf (Anton's son) marketing the Olympia Looping as an off-the-shelf coaster, much like Vekoma do with their designs. I haven't heard anything since though.
There are some great custom Schwarzkopfs in the US, though. Shockwave at SF over Texas is a double looper that has a load of airtime as well - it's a really cool ride. And SF over Georgia has a great two loop Schwarzkopf called Mindbender which is surrounded by trees and is a really nice ride. If ever you get the chance to visit these parks (I did both when I was over there on business) it's well worth it.

Cal

Re: Thriller and Olympia by Jakob at 6/22/00 10:25:16 AM

We have in Germany in the Hansapark a nice custom-designed Schwarzkopf single-looper wit a lot of Airtime. When it was build (1980), it was the biggest looping coaster of Europe. Entering the loop, 5G pushs you into the seat. A great ride!!

Greetings
Jakob

Re: Thriller and Olympia by Ice at 6/22/00 2:37:23 PM

First of all: Schwarzkopf RULES!!!
Secondly: Mindbender is a single looper.

Regards,
Ice ( Who's about to experience Olympia looping for the first time, and will be getting sick in the Flying Circus: The most dizzy ride in thw world! )

Re: Thriller and Olympia by Andreas at 6/23/00 4:32:46 AM

Wow, I didnt know, the single-looper in Hansapark was a Schwarzkopf. I think Hansapark also has a small powered coaster by Schwatzkopf with VERY high G's.

//;)

Andreas

Re: Thriller and Olympia by Jakob at 6/23/00 4:52:46 AM

and will be getting sick in
> the Flying Circus: The most dizzy ride in thw
> world! )
I don't think so, Flying Circus is one of the smoothest rides on the planet. It looks hard, but it isn't at all.
The small schwarzkopf powered coaster at Hansapark isn't similar to the powered coasters, you know. The Metroliner is very difficult to explain: It is a little bit like a Bayernkurve (I hope you know) but with two circles. Get it?
Greetings
Jakob

Pics of Nessie and Metroliner

Flying Circus by Cal at 6/23/00 5:52:11 AM

The first time I rode Flying Circus, at Hamburg Winterdom in 1997, they kept it running for about 7 minutes and I was nearly sick. I have never felt that bad on a ride in my life! I vowed never to ride it again, until a couple of my German hosts dragged me onto it at last year's Oktoberfest. This time the ride was short - about two minutes - and I was fine. My advice is, if the fair is busy and they are giving fairly short rides, then try it, but if they are giving long rides avoid it like the plague. It really is a puke machine.

Cal

Mindbender by Cal at 6/23/00 5:58:18 AM

> First of all: Schwarzkopf RULES!!!
> Secondly: Mindbender is a single looper.

No, it definitely has two, but they're not consecutive like Shockwave at SFOT. The park actually claims it has three loops, but that's not strictly true as one is a round helix. Click the link below if you want to see the stats.

Cal

Mindbender stats