Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Do you think park managers read those boards ?

Do you think park managers read those boards ?

Dragon Khan
Posted: 6/18/00 at 6:39:40 PM
Views: 1002

If yes, what are they waiting for to exhaust our wishes ? (they've got the money...)

Re: Do you think park managers read those boards ? by junebugg junebugg Profile at 6/19/00 11:21:39 AM

> If yes, what are they waiting for to exhaust our
> wishes ? (they've got the money...)

The managers may read these message boards but I figure that employees in the Marketing and R&D (research & development) departments would look a lot closer at these boards. It usually is these two departments that do the research and study for new ride/attraction development. As far as your wishes go, I would say that, eventhough they may have the money, they wouldn't build a ride on the whims of enthusiasts.

- junebugg

Terra Mitica de Benidorm

Re: Do you think park managers read those boards ? by Dragon Khan at 6/20/00 3:11:42 PM

I would say that, eventhough
> they may have the money, they wouldn't build a
> ride on the whims of enthusiasts.

> - junebugg

I see your point, but do you think the line for Millennium Force for example, is full of enthusiasts ?
The success of this ride is with the large public, and even if coaster enthusiasts dream of extreme machines, the average people who visit parks ride the new creations... so: I'm aware that my "dream coaster will never be built. However, I'm sure that more intense and spectacular rides would be hits !
I mean : A huge scream machine attracts the crowds, not only people like you and me.

Re: Do you think park managers read those boards ? by tricktrack tricktrack Profile at 6/21/00 1:21:51 PM

> I would say that, eventhough

> I see your point, but do you think the line for
> Millennium Force for example, is full of
> enthusiasts ?
> The success of this ride is with the large
> public, and even if coaster enthusiasts dream of
> extreme machines, the average people who visit
> parks ride the new creations...

I think that in central europe people arent as crazy about extreme rides than in the states, or maybe the UK.
When im in a queue in a german themepark i always listen what other people say, and i found out that lots of people are simply scared or they dont trust the technics, in other words, they are boring farts!
Even the wooden coaster at Warner Bros. scares the hell out of many people. And they decide that they never go on such a ride. My fear is that the managers are very aware of that situation, so they always vote for lame family rides. On the other hand the need to have something really thrilling, just to compete with other parks seems to be growing.
I hope that we have to be very patient and hope that the entertainment industry will go on growing

Re: Do you think park managers read those boards ? by Big Drop at 6/22/00 10:04:24 AM

> If yes, what are they waiting for to exhaust our
> wishes ? (they've got the money...)
Yes, they read the boards. Yes, European and American parks are different in their respective emphasis. Thematic treatment and somewhat tamer rides are more important in Europe. The age range is much more diverse in Europe; shows are also much more important. Premier is testing the thrill ride treatment at Six Flags Holland.

Re: Do you think park managers read those boards ? by junebugg junebugg Profile at 6/24/00 2:31:58 PM

> I see your point, but do you think the line for
> Millennium Force for example, is full of
> enthusiasts ?

No. It's full of the general public. But Cedar Point has built a reputation for themselves and that's why people go there. From a marketing standpoint, you also have to look at the proximity of the park to the major surrounding metropolitan areas. Cleveland, Detroit, Columbus, Cincinatti (just to name a few) are all in driving distance. Cedar Point would be just as packed this year even if they did not have Millennium Force.

> The success of this ride is with the large
> public, and even if coaster enthusiasts dream of
> extreme machines, the average people who visit
> parks ride the new creations... so: I'm aware
> that my "dream coaster will never be built.

The success of a ride is ALWAYS with the general public and not the enthusiasts. Look at the percentage of money that the GP brings in as compared to the enthusiasts. I'm sure you'll see a colossal gap. Money is always the tool for measuring success in this industry!

> However, I'm sure that more intense and
> spectacular rides would be hits !
> I mean : A huge scream machine attracts the
> crowds, not only people like you and me.

Not necessarily true. Here at one of my home parks (BGW) Alpengeist' entrance into the world of *Huge Scream Machines* in 1997 brought in record numbers through the gate. BGW was also hoping the same thing would happen for Apollo's Chariot and it did not. Eventhough the ride is a *hit* with many of enthusiasts and GP, BGW wasn't calling it a *success* because they did not meet the projected attendance they were hoping for.

- junebugg