Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Another question

Another question

Andreas
Posted: 6/10/00 at 9:45:35 AM
Views: 1168

Are there any Swiss amusement- og themeparks? If not, how can it be, that some of the best coaster manufactures (B&M, Giovanola and Intamin) are from Switzerland?

//;)

Andreas

Re: Another question by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/10/00 2:17:03 PM

That's something I've wondered myself. If Switzerland has any amusement parks, it doesn't have any significant coasters.

I suppose B&M et al are just good engineers.

Graeme.

> Are there any Swiss amusement- og themeparks? If
> not, how can it be, that some of the best coaster
> manufactures (B&M, Giovanola and Intamin) are
> from Switzerland?

> //;)

> Andreas

Re: Another question by Fraser Fraser Profile at 6/10/00 2:45:22 PM

> That's something I've wondered myself. If
> Switzerland has any amusement parks, it doesn't
> have any significant coasters.

> I suppose B&M et al are just good engineers.

> Graeme.

Given that the Swiss are even more Nimbyish than the Brits (no baths after 9p.m. etc etc) then I'm not surprised B+M have to go elsewhere.

Re: Another question by Andreas at 6/10/00 3:04:04 PM

Yes, but it is weird, that these companys are Swiss and not German, since Germany has such a long tradition for engineering and steelwork. But OK, Germany is the home of Huss, Maurer Sohne, Mack, etc.

Another thing: Is Schwartzkopf still making coasters? I saw some pictures from IAAPA (?) of new Scwartzkopf-rollingstock, but I dont know, if he actually designed it. And am I the only one that thinks Schwartzkopf-coasters are just plain brilliant?

//;)

Andreas

Re: Schwarzkopf by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/10/00 3:42:07 PM

Sorry, can't help you with the IAAPA question, but I'll tell you my thoughts of Schwarzkopf:

I'm not really interested in his looping coasters, as I didn't enjoy looping coasters until they became mult-inversion - ie, may different types of inversion, not just five vertical loops or whatever.

Also, the lack of over-the-shoulder restraints on Schwarzkopfs doesn't interest me, as I quite like them to hold you in place.

But I really like his "Jet" compact coasters. Normally I like custom designs, but Schwarzkopf's compacts are the only production coasters worth bothering with.

Graeme.

> Another thing: Is Schwartzkopf still making
> coasters? I saw some pictures from IAAPA (?) of
> new Scwartzkopf-rollingstock, but I dont know, if
> he actually designed it. And am I the only one
> that thinks Schwartzkopf-coasters are just plain
> brilliant?

> //;)

> Andreas

Re: Schwarzkopf by Jakob at 6/11/00 7:34:59 AM

> Sorry, can't help you with the IAAPA question,
> but I'll tell you my thoughts of Schwarzkopf:

> I'm not really interested in his looping
> coasters, as I didn't enjoy looping coasters
> until they became mult-inversion - ie, may
> different types of inversion, not just five
> vertical loops or whatever.

> Also, the lack of over-the-shoulder restraints on
> Schwarzkopfs doesn't interest me, as I quite like
> them to hold you in place.

> But I really like his "Jet" compact
> coasters. Normally I like custom designs, but
> Schwarzkopf's compacts are the only production
> coasters worth bothering with.

> Graeme.
To say it in a short way: Schwartzkopf offers coasters, but no one is really interested in. It is very sad. They constructed great coasters like Thriller or Lisebergbanan (my greatest non-looping steelie)
Greetings
Jakob
P.S.: There is a really small park in Switzerland named Connyland. But there isn't any coaster at all and only one very small flume. Nothing to mention, in general

link by Jakob at 6/11/00 7:37:34 AM

If you search european parks, go to:
www.achterbahnen.de/links

Re: Schwarzkopf by Andreas at 6/11/00 12:02:46 PM

I feel exactly the same about Lisebergbanan. It's a great, great coaster. Fun fact: It is one of the tallest coasters in Europe (almost 60 meters). It doesnt feel that way, since it is build up af mountainside.

I really like Scorpion at BGT too. A small looping coaster, but with very good horisontal G's.

Thanks for the link.

Andreas

Re: Another question by Cal at 6/12/00 6:25:43 AM

Anton is no longer designing but his son Wieland is trying to continue the Schwarzkopf tradition - the IAAPA exhibits were his.

Cal

Re: Schwarzkopf by Cal at 6/12/00 6:27:27 AM

You're absolutely crazy. Schwarzkopf built some of the greatest coasters known to man, and all are smooth as glass. If you'd ridden Olympia Looping or Thriller you'd soon change your mind.

Cal

Re: Schwarzkopf by Cal at 6/12/00 6:29:47 AM

I have yet to find a Schwarzkopf I haven't liked - aside from Magic Mountain's Revolution which has been ruined by painful overhead restraints and unnecessary braking. He was a true master when it came to designing great rides.

Cal

Re: Schwarzkopf by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/12/00 1:37:14 PM

Ooh, get you! First "nuts", now "crazy". Are you sure you don't know me?

Seriously though, I'm sure Schwarzkopfs are good but I just like variety, that's all!

Graeme.

PS - The only looping Schwarzkopf (I think it was an "Anton" anyway) I've been on is the "Looping Star" that used to be at Margate. I was only about 12 or 13, but still wasn't very impressed. It was boring.

> You're absolutely crazy. Schwarzkopf built some
> of the greatest coasters known to man, and all
> are smooth as glass. If you'd ridden Olympia
> Looping or Thriller you'd soon change your mind.

> Cal

Tidal Wave Pics

Re: Schwarzkopf by Cal at 6/13/00 5:28:40 AM

There's quite a lot of difference between a Looping Star and one of the big Schwarzkopfs like Olympia Looping. I took my boyfriend on it last year - it was his first coaster - and he couldn't speak except in expletives for about five minutes afterwards.
True, Anton did only build loops, not corkscrews or other elements, but what he did, he did superbly. His loops are much rounder than those on other coasters which is why they tend to pull higher G-forces. You should try Magnum Force (Dreier Looping) at Flamingoland and let me know what you think.

Cal

Re: Schwarzkopf by Andreas at 6/13/00 7:23:04 AM

I agree. I didnt know, that revolution is a Schwartzkopf. A very nice coaster.

//;)

Andreas

Re: Schwarzkopf by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/13/00 1:16:06 PM

OK, if I ever go to Flamingoland again (not likely) I'll definitely try Magnum Force and tell you what I think.

I'll always tell the board when I ride a new coaster. I've only been posting since Spring and the last new coaster I rode was in Autumn '99 (Nemesis et al at Alton Towers).

Graeme.

> There's quite a lot of difference between a
> Looping Star and one of the big Schwarzkopfs like
> Olympia Looping. I took my boyfriend on it last
> year - it was his first coaster - and he couldn't
> speak except in expletives for about five minutes
> afterwards.
> True, Anton did only build loops, not corkscrews
> or other elements, but what he did, he did
> superbly. His loops are much rounder than those
> on other coasters which is why they tend to pull
> higher G-forces. You should try Magnum Force
> (Dreier Looping) at Flamingoland and let me know
> what you think.

> Cal

Re: Schwarzkopf by tricktrack tricktrack Profile at 6/19/00 12:05:46 PM

> I agree. I didnt know, that revolution is a
> Schwartzkopf. A very nice coaster.

> //;)

> Andreas

For a young german coaster enthusiast int he mid seventies, Schwarzkopf was GOD. I remember seeing a picture of revolution in the papers when it was built in 76 (I still have it) and i couldnt believe it. The first travelling loop was Looping Star in 78 (it had an accident in its first week of operation, which caused much media hype) I still prefer Schwarzkopf to Arrow and Vekoma. The rides are incredibly smooth and ELEGANT. And doing a loop without a shoulder restraint is something i really miss.
By the way did anyone went to see the movie "ROLLERCOASTER" when it was first shown in 78 or 79? It had a gimmick called "Sensourround" which featured low frequency sounds coming from huge speakers which had to be installed in every cinema (The same with "Earthquake" and "Battlestar Galactica"?