Members, Log In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Tragic Accidents

Tragic Accidents

Posted: 5/30/00 at 3:46:13 PM
Views: 2124

OK, we all know about the weekend's tragic "fun"fair tragedies, and they are by no means the first accidents of the year.

The question is: Do you go to fairgrounds?

There are always loads of injuries at them, which are usually not rider fault. A few weeks ago a Waltzer car came loose and injured a lot of people. It's always faulty/worn equipment.

I know Blackpool Pleasure Beach have had a few accidents (The Big One etc), but I trust them to fix the problems. I still ride their coasters.

Graeme.

Re: My Theory on Ride Safety by SkyDave at 5/31/00 3:54:39 AM

For the most part when I go to fairgrounds or theme parks I always have a good look around the rides before I go anywhere near them.
Overall, I've never had any problems with the parks, other than missing the Drop Zone Stunt Tower last year after the accident there. However portable rides at fairs are often visibly 'bad'. As a rule I never go on any ride that looks vaguely dodgy - the most obvious sign of bad maintenance is rust, though I have seen a picture of a waltzer ride propped up by several bricks once. Also, the more extreme the ride, the better maintained it usually is. The KMG Afterburner 'Chaos' for example is very well maintained, and it shows with the ride being great fun, and relatively smooth. Simple solution - don't ride anything that looks dodgy. And this has the advantage that the showmen owning the rides will have to do proper maintenance or buy new rides. Which is so much the better for all of us.

I sympathise for all those who have been victims of badly operated rides, or badly maintained ones.

-Dave

Re: My Theory on Ride Safety by Cal at 5/31/00 5:49:53 AM

Actually you'll find a lot of fairground rides propped up on bricks, planks and god knows what, but it's to do with uneven ground rather than ride maintenance. That doesn't put me off since the ride base is big enough to survive a brick falling out without anyone noticing. But yes, rust, not to mention ride operators who are horsing around, careless or just too plain young, are things that put me off riding.
I visit a lot of fairs but these are usually large ones like the Goose Fair which get all the big rides. Rides like Chaos, Top Buzz and the like are extremely expensive and their owners aren't going to slack off with the maintenance. I'm more wary of small fairs with older rides - besides, they don't really interest me!

Cal

Re: Tragic Accidents by d n s u at 5/31/00 4:50:42 PM

>I used to love riding the Tokata?? Express at BPB and then they took it away.. presumably following the accident when some guy actually got decapitated when he stood up!!! I kid you not!! ..There have also been several cases of whiplash on the Avalanche but all in all BPB has always been synonymous with safety as far as I'm concerned.

I remember reading somewhere that the early French Coasters were always having accidents but the more accidents they had, the more popular they became...

Re: Tragic Accidents by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/31/00 5:03:55 PM

I always saw the Tokayado (?) Express on the map, but didn't know about that accident.

Decapitation always worries me, especially on dark coasters - I like to know when to duck. Coaster tracks aren't sharp, so how does it happen?

We know about the Big One's initial brakes problem, but didn't Space Invader kill someone? I saw this myself in a national newspaper. Maybe they got the name of the coaster wrong, meaning to name the coaster earlier mentioned.

Graeme.

Re: Tragic Accidents by Lyndon at 5/31/00 7:18:56 PM

> I always saw the Tokayado (?) Express on the map,
> but didn't know about that accident.

> Decapitation always worries me, especially on
> dark coasters - I like to know when to duck.
> Coaster tracks aren't sharp, so how does it
> happen?

> We know about the Big One's initial brakes
> problem, but didn't Space Invader kill someone? I
> saw this myself in a national newspaper. Maybe
> they got the name of the coaster wrong, meaning
> to name the coaster earlier mentioned.

In case you're interested, Tokyado Express can now be found at Brean Leisure Park in somerset.

> Graeme.

Re: Tragic Accidents by Cal at 6/1/00 5:34:15 AM

> In case you're interested, Tokyado Express can
> now be found at Brean Leisure Park in somerset.

They're welcome to it! Aside from not being a "proper" coaster (it's a powered ride), the ride it gave was akin to being dragged through an alley in a dustbin.

Cal

Re: Tragic Accidents by Cal at 6/1/00 5:42:33 AM

> I remember reading somewhere that the early
> French Coasters were always having accidents but
> the more accidents they had, the more popular
> they became...

Yes, that's true -- the additional frisson of real danger was obviously attractive to them. Personally, I like my danger percieved rather than genuine!

Cal

Re: Tragic Accidents by d n s u at 6/1/00 4:27:46 PM

> They're welcome to it! Aside from not being a
> "proper" coaster (it's a powered ride),
> the ride it gave was akin to being dragged
> through an alley in a dustbin.

> Cal

Head on so as to speak..

Re: Tragic Accidents by Lyndon at 6/3/00 8:17:57 PM

> They're welcome to it! Aside from not being a
> "proper" coaster (it's a powered ride),
> the ride it gave was akin to being dragged
> through an alley in a dustbin.

> Cal

HA HA! Most accurate description I've heard yet!!

Re: My Theory on Ride Safety by tricktrack tricktrack Profile at 6/19/00 12:35:53 PM

> Actually you'll find a lot of fairground rides
> propped up on bricks, planks and god knows what,
> but it's to do with uneven ground rather than
> ride maintenance. That doesn't put me off since
> the ride base is big enough to survive a brick
> falling out without anyone noticing. But yes,
> rust, not to mention ride operators who are
> horsing around, careless or just too plain young,
> are things that put me off riding.
> I visit a lot of fairs but these are usually
> large ones like the Goose Fair which get all the
> big rides. Rides like Chaos, Top Buzz and the
> like are extremely expensive and their owners
> aren't going to slack off with the maintenance.
> I'm more wary of small fairs with older rides -
> besides, they don't really interest me!

> Cal

Did you know that the "Eurostar" had a bad accident on the Oktoberfest in 95? Well one train smashed into the other which was stuck in the final brakes. The people in the front had complicated leg fractures, others suffered from shock etc. The victims had to wait for hours in the heat before they were released. But here is the best part: A german television magazine visited some of the victims afterwards and guess what Oscar Bruch, the owner of Eurostar,offered the less injured riders as a gift?! FREE RIDE TICKETS!!! No Joke! I think that tells everything about carnivals!