Phoenix was originally built in 1947 and operated as The Rocket at the now defunct Playland Park in San Antonio until the park and coaster closed in 1980. In 1984, Dick Knoebel purchased The Rocket and a year later he hired Charles Dinn to relocate and reconstruct this classic wooden coaster at Knoebels Amusement Resort. Thanks to the tireless efforts to preserve this roller coaster, parkgoers can continue to enjoy one of the world's best wooden coasters. Phoenix is consistently ranked as one of the top ten wooden roller coasters. The double out and back layout features great drops and plenty of airtime filled hills including the double up, double down and the bunny hops on the return run to the station. Phoenix continues to run with classic PTC three bench trains with fixed position lab bars.
|1985||Wood||Double Out and Back||Herb Schmeck, Philadelphia Toboggan Co.|
1985 – Relocated to Knoebels from Playland Park and renamed.
1947-1980 – The Rocket operated at Playland Park (San Antonio, Texas)
Estimated cost: $1.5 million for relocation
Opening date: June 15, 1985
Train has four cars with three rows each, seating two abreast per row.
Height requirement: Riders must be at least 42 inches tall
Find Where to Coast™ with Ultimate Rollercoaster® Database
Where to Coast™, Rollercoaster Yellowpages™ are trademarks of Ultimate Rollercoaster®.