The Comet is a classic wooden coaster with a traditional "out and back" layout. This roller coaster began its life as the famous Cyclone coaster at Crystal Beach in Ontario, Canada in 1927. The Cyclone earned a bad reputation as being a brutal, fearsome roller coaster that frequently injured riders. Injuries were so common that a permanent first-aid station was apparently placed at the end of the ride.
In 1947 the Cyclone was to be no more. The steel support structure was torn down and designer Herbert Paul Schmeck rebuilt it as the Comet where it continued to operate until September 4, 1989. Shortly after closing Charlie Woods, owner of The Great Escape Fun Park, made a successful bid and took ownership of the roller coaster. After standing, but not operating for five years the Comet was saved and relocated, re-erected, restored, and continues to operate The Great Escape today.
Roller coaster enthusiasts love the Comet because of its exceptional "air-time" and historical significance, and as a result it is frequently recognized as being one of the top wooden roller coasters in the world.
|1994||Wood||Double Out and Back||Herb Schmeck|
1994 – Relocated from Crystal Beach Park in Ontario, Canada to The Great Escape and reopened on June 25, 1994.
Features: Steel Structure
Opening date: June 25, 1994
Estimated cost: $125,000
Train has four cars with three rows each, seating two abreast per row.
Height requirement: Riders must be at least 48 inches tall
Find Where to Coast™ with Ultimate Rollercoaster® Database
Where to Coast™, Rollercoaster Yellowpages™ are trademarks of Ultimate Rollercoaster®.