Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What Older Steel Coasters do you feel are threatened for Extinction?

What Older Steel Coasters do you feel are threatened for Extinction?

Coasterwench

Posted:
6/11/02 at
10:51:49 AM

We already know that Suspendeds and, Stand-ups have come to a major building halt and if parks start TAERING them all down they will probably become an extinct coaster but, What other Coaster style's do you predict in the future *Might* face extinction?? I am talking about Cloned Coasters Such as Arrow mega-loopers with 3 or more operating today that have been operating for the past 10-15 years.Do you think there is a chance Coasters such as these could dissapear in the next 20 years or, do you think the parks will do what they can to keep them standing forever?

Diana

Re: What Older Steel Coasters do you feel are threatened for Extinction? by BogeyMon at 6/11/02 12:44:05 PM

If you're talking about particular types of coasters, like Stand Ups, I think they could well end up extinct in a few years. They're no longer a gimmick and with time, will cost more to maintain than the revenue they'll generate. Same with Suspended tub coasters. On the other hand, Suspendeds will probably have a decent future as smaller rides like the Caripro and Setpoint models.

Gigacoasters may be a short-lived phenomenom too. As the population ages, the audience for these extreme machines will shrink even as their maintenance costs begin to rise.

I think the KISS principle will come into play and some of the other flavor-of-the-month coasters like the Hypersonics, floorless and impulse coasters will become more trouble for the parks to maintain than they're worth.

Jim

Hopefully Wild Thing at Enchanted Village (n/m) by wild one at 6/11/02 2:02:40 PM

I said (n/m) but since you're here, Wild Thing is a piece of junk.

Re: What Older Steel Coasters do you feel are threatened for Extinction? by Brooksy at 6/11/02 5:05:47 PM

> If you're talking about particular types of
> coasters, like Stand Ups, I think they could well
> end up extinct in a few years. They're no longer
> a gimmick and with time, will cost more to
> maintain than the revenue they'll generate. Same
> with Suspended tub coasters. On the other hand,
> Suspendeds will probably have a decent future as
> smaller rides like the Caripro and Setpoint
> models.

> Gigacoasters may be a short-lived phenomenom too.
> As the population ages, the audience for these
> extreme machines will shrink even as their
> maintenance costs begin to rise.

> I think the KISS principle will come into play
> and some of the other flavor-of-the-month
> coasters like the Hypersonics, floorless and
> impulse coasters will become more trouble for the
> parks to maintain than they're worth.

> Jim

You make excellent points, but man, I hope you're wrong. Flavor-of-the-months are what keep this industry interesting and provide new classics such as (insert any B&M invert here) or your Volcano's and Flyers. Hey, as long as parks can afford to produce new attempts at greatness (X), they can also easily forget and replace the duds in time.

-Brooksy

Re: What Older Steel Coasters do you feel are threatened for Extinction? by chillforce chillforce Profile at 6/11/02 8:39:29 PM

As we saw with the Steel Phantom, when riders at the park stop riding a coaster, a park will get rid of it as soon as they can get a replacement. It does not matter on the type or style, the ridership numbers will make the decision.

Ed

Re: What Older Steel Coasters do you feel are threatened for Extinction? by SoCal Dude at 6/11/02 9:41:40 PM

Honestly I dont think we're going to see any more Arrow mega loopers because they have been easily replaced by the huge B&M anythings.

Suspenders will probably remain to be built at parks with good terrain to make them interesting.

Hyper woodies are another we probably wont see much although looping woodies will probably be built.

Hardly any Vekomas will be built except for modified DeJa Vu's and their kiddy coasters because all others are in basic terms----Crap.

Intamin Gigas will be replaced by the Intamin Terra(is that spelled correct?) easily and then whatever comes after that.

Water coaster(Buzzsaw Falls) will become very scarce because nobody want to build them really. They'll either build a rapids ride or a rollercoaster.

Those are just the types I dont think will apeer anymore.

Rock

Re: What Older Steel Coasters do you feel are threatened for Extinction? by Jersey Joe at 6/12/02 7:54:44 AM

> We already know that Suspendeds and, Stand-ups
> have come to a major building halt and if parks
> start TAERING them all down they will probably
> become an extinct coaster but, What other Coaster
> style's do you predict in the future *Might* face
> extinction?? I am talking about Cloned Coasters
> Such as Arrow mega-loopers with 3 or more
> operating today that have been operating for the
> past 10-15 years.Do you think there is a chance
> Coasters such as these could dissapear in the
> next 20 years or, do you think the parks will do
> what they can to keep them standing forever?

> Diana

Like Chilly said, if ridership slows down to a trickle (like Steel Phantom and Drachen Fire), you'll see those coasters replaced or removed.
Another case scenario is when the coaster can't be easily maintained and repaired (example: TOGO standup King Cobra - PKI) either due to age and deterioration or difficulties in getting the necessary parts.
Then there is always the dreaded situation when a park goes out of business and the rides are either sold off or SBNO.

I do not think you'll see major taering down, but you will see some replaced here and there.

One thing the parks should realize is although Suspendeds aren't being built, they should see the lines for Big Bad Wolf at BGW. It's one of the most popular coasters in the park and for good reason. Would love to see them build some more full-sized Suspendeds today, especially with all the advancements in design. I'm sure they could come up with a few new touches.

Joe

Jersey Joe's Coaster Pages

Re: What Older Steel Coasters do you feel are threatened for Extinction? by BGW at 6/12/02 8:30:20 AM

> Intamin Gigas will be replaced by the Intamin
> Terra(is that spelled correct?) easily and then
> whatever comes after that.

Teracoaster is with one "r", and the next will be "Exacoaster" (although some spell it "excacoaster" the correct spelling is "exa").

As far as what I see eventually going the way of Atlantis...LIM/LSM coasters. I love the things, but I just think things will get back to the more traditional lift systems. One thing that could save this style is if we see more built like Hulk. Traditional lift hill combined with a launch.

Rob

I believe mega-loopers may eventually make a comeback with future technologies.

Re: What Older Steel Coasters do you feel are threatened for Extinction? by Coasterwench at 6/12/02 11:08:18 AM

Thanks for the replies! I have a few friends and Family members with a slight interest In the future of Roller Coasters and when I am asked what I forsee happening I always have to tell them I don't know because I haven't been following the business long enough to take any sort of guess. Alot of times I am asked why we don't see more Coasters Like Big Bad Wolf (Funny Joe mentioned that!) aren't built. Particularly BBW because my brother and his Girlfriend recently took a trip to BGW and enjoyed that coaster alot and wondered why there aren't more of them. Thanks again!

Diana

Re: What Older Steel Coasters do you feel are threatened for Extinction? by sparky sparky Profile at 6/12/02 5:14:18 PM

There are several types of steel coasters that probably won't be around in ten years or so at all..

Shuttle Loops- Either from Arrow or Schwarzkopf. In the U.S., we're down to three Arrows and three Schwarzkopfs. They're one trick ponies, that while fine for what they do, are maintenance heavy rides, with flywheel and counterweight cable launches. With spending cuts, comes maintenance cuts- parks that have shuttle loops will have to decide whether or not their ride is worth investing in. SFoG obviously felt Viper wasn't worth it.

Speedracer- This is a no brainer, as there are only a handful of the various Schwarkopf spiral lift family oriented speedracer coasters left. The U.S. has one custom designed park model at SFGAM; one City Jet at Gillian's Wonderland Pier in Ocean City, NJ; one Jumbo Jet at Coney Island, NY; and one Jet Star II at Lagoon. While some dismantled rides have reopened in other countries (i.e. Zambezi Zinger), I don't see these rides being around much longer.

First Generation Arrow Corkscrew/Loopscrew- The U.S. has three loopscrews operating (Great Escape, Libertyland, Enchanted Parks), and 4 corkscrews operating (Canobie Lake, BGT, Michigan's Adventure, Silverwood). They are clearly well built rides, but have way overstayed their welcome. Old news in an industry that strives for the latest and greatest. I'm amazed that a high profile park like BGT still operates Python.

-sparky

Re: What Older Steel Coasters do you feel are threatened for Extinction? by BGW at 6/13/02 9:05:31 AM

I'm amazed
> that a high profile park like BGT still operates
> Python.

> -sparky

You are probably right in what you say, but I am sure glad they've kept it this long. When I was a kid I remember seeing commercials for Disney World and BGT played on local TV up here in Cincinnati. At the time Python looked huge and you went upside down! Then came Scorpian and OH man did I have to ride that. When we finally took our family trip down to Orlando in the fall of '82, I was 11-years-old and couldn't wait to get over there. But nobody wanted to drive all the way over there, what a bunch of wimps...Fast forward to a few years ago. I finally made my way over to BGT and started with a ride on my long awaited Scorpian. This was just plain awesome, I really enjoyed this coaster for today's standards and can only imagine how blown away I would have been if I rode it some 17 years earlier. Made my way around the and finally got to that HUGE coaster "Python", and it was "Closed for Maintenance"...Another fast forward another year. Back down there and I went straight for "Python" and rode front seat right hand side. Nice head chopper when you pass the back of the station but only when setting in this seat. Isn't it funny how TV can make things seem so huge when they are as small as this coaster. It was fun and I'm sure it was awesome in the late 70's to mid 80's, but it wasn't anything more. Still I'm glad they kept this coaster just for me to finally get to ride it.

Rob

I believe the Reverands sad story about the Beast when he was 12 is much worse than my Python story from when I was 12, although they both have about the same outcome, he clearly picked a better coaster to have to wait 20+ years to ride.

Re: What Older Steel Coasters do you feel are threatened for Extinction? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/15/12 2:53:40 PM
Yay! I did it again, another archival post revived!!! :)

I'll name some coasters in particular that I think are gonna get yanked out sooner than later.
Any Arrow looper that's over 100ft in height, with the exception of Loch Ness Monster (because of it's cult following, and smooth layout). While the smaller Arrow loopers have bought themselves some time (like Carolina Cyclone) with their layouts like they were truly intended to be; These hulking tall Brontosauruses on the other hand like the late GASM are monstrosities that B&M have already replaced in every single facet.

Tennessee Tornado- With the two loopers already in place Wild Eagle, and Mystery Mine, it's only a matter of time.

Vortex(KI)- While it has it's small devoted following, I'm amazed that this thing is still standing. With the 25 anniversary this year, it seems like it would be a fitting time to retire it soon, we all know what happened after BBW's 25th birthday.

Anaconda- Double the 'amazement' factor that I feel about Vortex still being on the park's map. I'm flabbergasted that this hulk is still in service.

Of course we all know that the annoying, incessant, and painful Vekoma SLC's are never gonna go away, they are like that pesky fire ant hill that you can never totally get rid of. They probably will last another twenty-five years LOL.

On the wooden coaster side, Son of Beast is without say. The rumors about it's removal seems constant. With those problems with it's overall structure, I seriously doubt if it gets the Rocky Mtn treatment. I will always remember it in it's glory with the killer positive-G's and the loop.

* This post was modified at 5/15/12 3:01:16 PM *

Re: What Older Steel Coasters do you feel are threatened for Extinction? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/15/12 2:59:15 PM
10 years, Chris?

I thought Walking Dead didn't resume 'til October...

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: What Older Steel Coasters do you feel are threatened for Extinction? by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 5/15/12 5:45:32 PM