Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Coasters at World Fairs & Expos (Knoxville, 1982, NYC, New Orleans, etc..)

Coasters at World Fairs & Expos (Knoxville, 1982, NYC, New Orleans, etc..)

tanner m.

Posted:
1/9/02 at
11:47:16 PM

I have read in the past that one of the coasters at Riverside in Mass. ( SFNE now ) was based on a woodie that thrilled guests at the 1939-1940 New York World Fair.

Did any of the other World Fairs, Expos feature coasters( besides Montreal )? if so what kind? Or what kind of rides did they feature for that matter?

I remember watching b/w movies of the Pepsi-Disney ride called "its a small world". From what I could tell it was about the same as what Hersheypark does with their ride that talks about how they make chocolate. Also the huge ferris wheel that was the shape of a tire ( sponsored by Firestone? Goodyear? ), that looked cool.

And of course the pair-o-chutes from the 1939 Worlds Fair that moved to Coney Island ( since this ride is still standing at Coney , could it be re-opened if someone would buy it? ).

Also is there anything left of these fairs? I was in Knoxville back in the mid 80s and the Worlds Fair tower was still there but we didnt get close enough to see what else was left. Anything left of the 2 NYC fairs or the 84 Fair in New Orleans or at the other fairs/ expos?

Re: coasters@ World Fairs & Expos ( Knoxville, 1982, NYC, New Orleans ect.. by chillforce chillforce Profile at 1/10/02 12:37:23 AM

I am almost positive that the Skyride at Great Adventure comes from the 1964 Worlds Fair. It is almost 40 years old and one of the few park Sky Rides still in operation.

Ed

Re: coasters@ World Fairs & Expos ( Knoxville, 1982, NYC, New Orleans ect..) by ericthewanderer at 1/15/13 4:29:41 PM
I was actually at the 1982 World's Fair in Knoxville,and I remember there was a swinging pirate ship ride(which I turned down) and a compact Schwarzkopf ride-a Star Jet I think-that I did go on twice.
The thing that drives me crazy is supposedly there was a looping coaster there;I don't remember ever seeing it at all!!!I like to think I would've gone on it,but I can't seem to find any "proof" of that ride,not even on rcdb.com .
Re: coasters@ World Fairs & Expos ( Knoxville, 1982, NYC, New Orleans ect..) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/15/13 4:53:48 PM
13 years and 5 days?

Is that a record?

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: coasters@ World Fairs & Expos ( Knoxville, 1982, NYC, New Orleans ect..) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 1/15/13 9:28:10 PM
beastmaster said:

13 years and 5 days?

Is that a record?

That would be 11 years - and I thought I was bad at math! :-)

Jen

Re: coasters@ World Fairs & Expos ( Knoxville, 1982, NYC, New Orleans ect..) by jimvid at 1/15/13 9:40:52 PM
The Thunderbolt at SFNE is either a clone or actually the moved ride from the 1939 World's Fair (stories vary) - The defunct Flyer Comet at Whalom was a mirror image of this ride as well.

The Bobsleds at the World's Fair was moved to Coney Island in 1941 until's it demolition in 1972 (essentially the same layout that Knoebel's Flying Turns will have).

(other survivor's of the '39 World's Fair include the Wildwood Tram cars and of course the Parachute drop)

As Ed pointed out, the sky ride at Great Adventure is from the '64 World's Fair - you can find a lot of the original lighting fixtures, trash cans at a lot of parks around the north east (I know Canobie has a number of the lighting fixtures and trashcans). Disney's "It's A Small World" and Carousel of Progress also debuted at the '64 World's Fair before moving to Disneyland.

Flushing Meadow in Queens where both parks were held is a beautiful public park with a lot of remnants left (primarily from the '64 Fair) and definitely worth checking out for the Carousel, Unisphere, and carousel if you are in the NY area.

Back to the coasters - the only modern example I can think of is from the Vancouver 1986 Expo which featured the Vekoma Scream Machine (now Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis).

The Chicago '34 World's Fair featured a Traver Cyclone and a Flying Turns (which was then moved to Riverview Park in until its close in 1967).

I'm sure many of the other World's Fairs and Expos of the 1910's-1940's featured coasters - I would suggest an RCDB search using the key words expo or world's fair.

* This post was modified at 1/15/13 9:47:22 PM *

Re: coasters@ World Fairs & Expos ( Knoxville, 1982, NYC, New Orleans ect..) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/16/13 5:51:51 AM
GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:

13 years and 5 days?

Is that a record?

That would be 11 years - and I thought I was bad at math! :-)

Jen

Ooops..guess I was looking at the "10" when thinking of the year and not the "02." No Mathematics questions on Jeopardy for me, please!

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: coasters@ World Fairs & Expos ( Knoxville, 1982, NYC, New Orleans ect..) by parkbookman parkbookman Profile at 1/16/13 12:14:30 PM
I was also at the 1982 World's Fair and there was no looping roller coaster. The roller coaster they had was a smaller Jet 400. I think I have a postcard of a model of the fairgrounds that shows a looping roller coaster in the original concept, perhaps that's why some people remember one. Mickey Hughes of Williams Grove fame provided the rides.

Their Ferris wheel is now at Darien Lake. I think Idlewild's flume is also came from there (by way of Old Indiana). Not sure what ever happened to the roller coaster.

A World's Fair that did have a looping coaster was Vancouver in 1986, that's now the infamous Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis. The monorail went to Alton Towers.

Six Flags managed the rides at the New Orleans World's Fair in 1984, which were all provided by Arrow Huss. No roller coaster, but they had one of the first chutes rides which ended up at AstroWorld. The big wheel is now at Six Flags St. Louis.

Re: coasters@ World Fairs & Expos ( Knoxville, 1982, NYC, New Orleans ect..) by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 1/16/13 5:20:24 PM
A world fair in Brisbane, Australia featured three Vekoma coasters back in 1988. They were a Vekoma Boomerang that ended up at the then KECO managed Sydney Wonderland and that ended up at Alabama Adventure.

The other two were more unique Vekoma products. One was an indoor non looping coaster that has a fun layout and some effects indoor. The other was the Vekoma made "Swinging Turns" suspended coaster. Both of those coasters were purchased by Dream World near Bangkok, Thailand.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.