Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here?

Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here?

BReNt

Posted:
5/19/01 at
10:08:02 AM

Hey everyone,
how long have you guys been posting here?I have seen this poll before and it is usually intresting.I have now been posting here for a little over a year,and its been great,no matter how many times it shut down LOL.So,how many years hae you been posting here?
Take it Easy
-BReNt

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by PKI Buckeye at 5/19/01 12:52:47 PM

I've been posting since June 1999. I think the way I found this site was that I typed "roller coasters" in Yahoo b/c I was looking for tracks for RCT (I think, that was a while ago). I clicked URC and started looking in the forums. Well as usual, there must have been a lot of knowledge on the board b/c I found it interesting enough to stay!
-------------
PKI Buckeye

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by GR8 Ump at 5/19/01 2:53:17 PM

Just after it was launched on the old chapman server =)
I believe the site was launched August of 97 and I showed up around September

Joe
GR8 Ump

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by J-man at 5/19/01 5:20:20 PM

I've been postin here for about 2 years, since the summer of 1999, although I haven't been posting very much lately :(

J-man

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by MagnumAllan at 5/19/01 5:47:31 PM

About two years posting, about three reading. Thanks for reading! -Allan

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by Coaster Nut at 5/19/01 6:57:46 PM

> Hey everyone,
> how long have you guys been posting here?I have
> seen this poll before and it is usually
> intresting.I have now been posting here for a
> little over a year,and its been great,no matter
> how many times it shut down LOL.So,how many years
> hae you been posting here?
> Take it Easy
> -BReNt

4-4 &1/2 years posting. I was actually reading for at least 6 months before that. So I guess you can say i've been here quite a looooong time!

Coaster Nut

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by SonOfBeast at 5/19/01 7:39:35 PM

I have been posting for about a year now, and what at great year it has been!

Scott

P.S.-Thanks to all who post on this board for making my first year here a great one!

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by Pantera Psycho at 5/19/01 8:57:39 PM

> Hey everyone,
> Take it Easy
> -BReNt

It's been more than 3 years now for me.

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by Chuck_E_Cheese at 5/19/01 9:10:00 PM

I have been on this board almost three to four times a week since the announcement that Ceadr Point was to build Millenium Force. I do not post often, but enjoy the boards. Thanks All for a great well kept message board. Cheese. I feel like the Grandpa of the board since I will be 40 next year.

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by sfogviper sfogviper Profile at 5/19/01 9:21:30 PM

> Hey everyone,
> how long have you guys been posting here?

Since September 1998.

Jeff

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by deathseeker2001 at 5/19/01 9:25:33 PM

Dec of 98 was the loss of my virginty (here)HAHAHAAHa

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by Cool Coasta at 5/19/01 9:31:21 PM

since the winter of 99

Sheesh by chillforce chillforce Profile at 5/19/01 10:21:06 PM

. I feel
> like the Grandpa of the board since I will be 40
> next year.

And I feel like the kid of the board at 51. Forget age, mentally, how do you feel? Feel old, you will be, feel young and you also will be.

Ed

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by Beast at Night at 5/19/01 10:26:56 PM

I have been posting since late April 99...and have enjoyed it very much.

Chris Trease

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by Joe_PCW Joe_PCW Profile at 5/19/01 11:42:46 PM

> Hey everyone,
> intresting.

Been posting here since September of 1998.

Joe.

PCW Coasters

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by Giff at 5/20/01 12:06:42 AM

Not quit sure of the month , but it was after our first coaster trip to Ohio in 1998. Visit at least once a day ever since.

Jeff

Re: Two years this month (n/m) by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/20/01 12:29:29 AM

Re: Three Years and I hope many more NM by Coaster Fanatic at 5/20/01 12:29:44 AM

Sheesh Geeze by Chuck_E_Cheese at 5/20/01 8:51:59 AM

I take my 11 year old son with me every park. ( A coaster nut in the making). He has a hard time keeping up with me. We have a GREAT time. Tahnks.....Cheese

How long has this board been up and who are some of the original posters? by dale caskey at 5/20/01 9:21:26 AM

I first found this site in Jan. 2000. This was shortly after getting my first home computer. What can I say, I'm an old codger, resistant to change. URC is the greatest thing on the internet. If I would have known about it sooner I'd of gotten a computer sooner. As far as this board compared to others. It seems to be a board with more mature posters. This board also seems to have members with a broader base of knowledge. This board is the easiest to get answers to questions that I sometimes need in trip planning. Our poster generally display a respect and commen courtesy towards each other that some of the other boards are lacking.

DAC

In My Third Season - Since March 1999 by AtlantaCoaster at 5/20/01 9:47:29 AM

Winter of '96 (nm) by MR. CROWLEY at 5/20/01 11:57:46 AM

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by MFORCEWOW at 5/20/01 1:31:04 PM

> Hey everyone,
> Take it Easy
> -BReNt

I POST NOT TOO MUCH CAUSE IM EXTREMELY BUSY AND I ONLY POST WHEN ITS SUMTHIN THAT REALLY REALLY PERTAINS TO MY UPCOMING TRIPS OR SUMTHIN OF THAT BATURE, BUT IVE BEEN ON HERE FOR JUST BARELY OVER 2 YEARS. EARLY EARLY SPRING OF 99.

a little over a year...(n/m) by sarah w at 5/20/01 3:36:21 PM

Real Pittsburgh.com's photo of us

Re: How long has this board been up and who are some of the original poster by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/20/01 6:06:48 PM

> I first found this site in Jan. 2000. This was
> shortly after getting my first home computer.
> What can I say, I'm an old codger, resistant to
> change. URC is the greatest thing on the
> internet. If I would have known about it sooner
> I'd of gotten a computer sooner. As far as this
> board compared to others. It seems to be a board
> with more mature posters. This board also seems
> to have members with a broader base of knowledge.
> This board is the easiest to get answers to
> questions that I sometimes need in trip planning.
> Our poster generally display a respect and commen
> courtesy towards each other that some of the
> other boards are lacking.

> DAC

This board has been operating since May 7, 1997. The site has been online since August 29, 1996. This summer will be five years. I can't believe it.

Eric

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by Pantera Psycho at 5/20/01 10:53:00 PM

> Just after it was launched on the old chapman
> server =)
> I believe the site was launched August of 97 and
> I showed up around September

> Joe
> GR8 Ump

Wow, for some reason I find myself remembering the old Chapman server.

I've Been Posting 1 Year, 3 Months NM by swOHman at 5/20/01 11:39:44 PM

July of '98. N/M by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 5/20/01 11:41:05 PM

Exactly 1 year!!!! by nick_pcw at 5/20/01 11:47:23 PM

PCW Unofficial Guide

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by Chrissy at 5/21/01 11:07:46 AM

I've been posting off and on for about 2 years. I don't post that much, that's why no one knows me! Haha. I tend to be a lurker who gets yappy once in a while.

Chrissy

> Hey everyone,
> Take it Easy
> -BReNt

A little over a year (n/m) by Binky at 5/21/01 1:07:02 PM

Around a year and a half I think (n/m) by Zimm at 5/21/01 1:21:40 PM

Over 2 years by Gary at 5/21/01 8:23:12 PM

I found this board and have been reading it for a little over 2 years, but have posted for only about a year.

Gary

Re: About a year and a half, I guess (nm) by AirBear AirBear Profile at 5/22/01 12:05:50 AM

Off and on since the winter 98 n/m by LONNOL at 5/22/01 12:30:20 AM

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by gchyld4 at 5/22/01 1:24:03 AM

I've been here since, the Riddlers Revenge rummor first popped up, man that was a long as time ago, I used to go under the name CaliCoaster, but one day I came on and found that there was another CaliCoaster, so here Iam..g chyld

> Hey everyone,
> Take it Easy
> -BReNt

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by GA Coasterboy at 5/22/01 9:47:51 AM

I been posting here at URC since August of 1999.

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/22/01 11:53:23 PM

I've been posting since day one. LOL

In fact I practically live here.

Eric

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by Masher at 5/23/01 9:34:48 AM

> Since September 1998.

> Jeff

One month after yours truly....

How Long Have I Been Posting? Can't quite remember... by CoastaPlaya at 5/23/01 8:07:12 PM

...I remember these events, though:

- When Sparky took a summer off URC to work @ MA
- Locking horns with Jeff T. over which B&M hyper would be the best--before they were built
- Locking horns AGAIN with Jeff T. over the merits of MF's layout--again, before it was built -- and whether the bunny hop by the exit station existed
- When sfogviper used to call himself by his real name--and when DHollon didn't
- When Myra the Alien was actually funny (before things went wrong)
- When Roxy Roller was still a 'gal'

I guess I was posting by spring '98 at the latest.

-CPlaya

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 12/20/11 4:12:21 PM

Well it's been more than ten years since this thread has seen any action.

I've been lurking and posting infrequently here over the past several years myself.

If you haven't already contributed to this thread, well, how long have you been here?

P.S.- my former screen name back in the day was GR8 Ump.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/20/11 4:34:05 PM

I started on here as 2005 turned into 2006. In coaster terms that's between Kingda Ka and El Toro!

Fascinating to see a 10 y.o. thread, and see how few still post here. I saw RobLec, and Joe, under a different screen name. Eric, of course. Off the top of my head, those were the only ones I recognized...mighta missed a couple. I liked one particular screen name...Beast At Night!

Mike

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 12/20/11 6:30:02 PM

One year. Last December I purchased these droids. I never had a computer of any type prior to that. It's been a fun year. I've been able to talk about my hobby with people who share the same passion.

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 12/20/11 6:35:03 PM

Wow, reading thru this brings a tear to my eye when I see some of the names and remember some of the faces that used to frequent here, and used to be "out there" (as I always say) at parks anywhere.

Man have dropped out of sight, probably just because life has taken them in other directions, etc.

But many remain!
Credit to Eric for that.
Who by the way I have never actually met to shake hands with, even tho I know we have been at the same event/park more than once over the years.
One of these days...!

When this was posted over ten years ago I must not yet have started visting/contributing to URC. I can't remember when I "became" enough of an enthusiast to visit coaster-centric web boards, forums, and the like.

I think I first came to URC in summer 2002...but don't hold me to it...I was older then, I'm younger than that now!
;-)

Mike B.

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/20/11 7:07:37 PM

'06. URC is my primary roller coaster website for talking coasters. It's a great site that's filled with knowledgeable coaster enthusiasts.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 12/20/11 9:05:12 PM

I believe it was after Ravine Flyer 2 in '08 and definitely before El Toro in '09. In fact, if it wasn't for this message board, there probably would not have been an El Toro '09, and that would be a sad, sad thing.

Here's to the friends I have made thanks to this message board, both those I have met and those I have yet to meet. Cheers!

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 12/20/11 9:13:58 PM

Maybe I'll see you at Kennywood next summer. We're considering getting season passes, but what concerns me is the large daily crowds at Kennywood. Still it's better to wait in lines for coasters rather than sitting at home.

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 12/20/11 9:15:34 PM

Maybe I'll see you at Kennywood next summer. We're considering getting season passes, but what concerns me is the large daily crowds at Kennywood. Still it's better to wait in lines for coasters rather than sitting at home.

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by Patripman Patripman Profile at 12/20/11 9:37:11 PM

Sometime in 1997. First gathering of URC'ers was PPP that year.

Patripman

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/20/11 10:19:15 PM

> I saw RobLec, and Joe, under a different screen
> name. Eric, of course. Off the top of my head, those were
> the only ones I recognized...mighta missed a couple. I
> liked one particular screen name...Beast At Night!

Coasterfanatic, Shaggy, and Airbear still post occasionally.
Chillforce disappeared some years ago, as did Chris Trease (Beast-at-night) and SFOGviper (Jeff Totolli). Forgive me if I misspelled anyone's name.

So I guess come May will be thirteen years for me.

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile at 12/20/11 10:34:19 PM

3 years reading, 1 year posting.

Thanks for all of your wise, seemingly infinite coaster knowledge, URC! Without you, I likely wouldn't have been researching coasters so much, and developed such an amazing hobby!

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 12/20/11 11:01:29 PM

I have no idea! but I don't think I'll be stopping anytime soon. :)

- mugen

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by Katie Katie Profile at 12/20/11 11:05:37 PM

2002 for me. It's been almost 10 years. Crazy how time flies.

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 12/21/11 12:55:28 AM

Did a little research, my first post was 8/6/2010! So I have been here over a year! wow!

Hopefully there will be many many more to come! :)

- mugen

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 12/21/11 10:25:50 AM

> Coasterfanatic, Shaggy, and Airbear still post
> occasionally.
> Chillforce disappeared some years ago, as did Chris Trease
> (Beast-at-night) and SFOGviper (Jeff Totolli). Forgive me
> if I misspelled anyone's name.

Yes, I still post... on rare occasion ;-) I lurk once or twice a week though.

I gave up avid coaster riding quite a few years back. I loved every second of it, but decided I needed to re-focus my life a bit.. which I did.

In the meantime, I blew out my back over a year ago (weakened no doubt from too many rough coaster rides!) resulting in lots of painful physical therapy and not-so-painful muscle relaxers. That episode has limited a lot of what I can tolerate these days. Yes, I know, I sound like an old man :-( Actually, tomorrow I turn 40 (yikes!) and I have no idea where the last 10 years went!

I still visit KI about once or twice a year, it remains my favorite park. For all it's quirks and changes, good moves and mis-steps, it's still feels like home to me. Other than KI, the last park I visited was CP about 3 years ago!

My dream is to make it to Wonderland again, with the Reids in tow. Oh how I miss those days with my surrogate coaster family. They are very cherished memories, as are all those with my coaster friends!

Shaggy

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by drachen drachen Profile at 12/21/11 11:13:49 AM

> Wow, reading thru this brings a tear to my eye when I see
> some of the names and remember some of the faces that used
> to frequent here, and used to be "out there" (as
> I always say) at parks anywhere.

> Man have dropped out of sight, probably just because life
> has taken them in other directions, etc.

> But many remain!

Agreed. Though I have yet to meet anyone from this site personally, it is sad to not see so many familiar names anymore.

Having said that, there are a few who have stuck it out, and there is a new crop of quality individuals that post here.

This site seems to breed a more respectful, knowledgable, un-assuming type of discussion, much better than anything I've seen out there. While I may read though other boards occasionally, I only participate here for that reason.

I started posting on this site, under a different username, in the fall of 1998. After a brief hiatus, I returned to find my username in use, in the 2002 range - right around the time it was decided that Drachen Fire was to be dismantled.

Over the years I've been a full-time reader and an occasional poster. I'm still a fan of roller coasters and the industry, but not as fanatical as I used to be.

I would, however, credit a spontaneous trip to Kings Dominion in April 2010 to ride Initmidator 305, for reigniting the hobby for me, and rekindling my interest in participating in this board more often.

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/21/11 4:49:50 PM

> This site seems to breed a more respectful, knowledgable,
> un-assuming type of discussion, much better than anything
> I've seen out there. While I may read though other boards
> occasionally, I only participate here for that reason.

An island of sanity in a sea of profanity.

> I started posting on this site, under a different username,
> in the fall of 1998. After a brief hiatus, I returned to
> find my username in use...

Just curious what was your nick (if you care to share). I started in the spring 1999 and was wondering if I knew you back then.

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by Patripman Patripman Profile at 12/21/11 5:29:41 PM

> This site seems to breed a more respectful, knowledgable,
> un-assuming type of discussion, much better than anything
> I've seen out there. While I may read though other boards
> occasionally, I only participate here for that reason.

> An island of sanity in a sea of profanity.

That maybe true from about 2004 to now but I can go back in the early years and even up to 2003 when we had our share of problems with people who wold hijack the site and posts. There was the original Ghost and then Ghost 2, then Myra and others. But the years between 1998 and 2003 were some of the best years for URC with the gatherings at Knoebels and PKI and then all the PPP's at Knoebels and other park meets.

As for reasons why people stopped posting there are many for one many tired of the hobby, others had medical problems and then there was a great divide amongst some who could not get along with each other for whatever reason.

I will say this if you go to PPP at Knoebels in the fall you will see many people there who were or still are life long posters and supporters of URC.

Patripman

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by drachen drachen Profile at 12/21/11 5:58:00 PM

>>> This site seems to breed a more respectful, knowledgable,
>>> un-assuming type of discussion, much better than anything
>>> I've seen out there. While I may read though other boards
>>> occasionally, I only participate here for that reason.

> An island of sanity in a sea of profanity.

Profanity, ignorance, rudeness, elitism, brown-nosing, inexperience, disrespect, cluelessness (is that a word), among other things.

> Just curious what was your nick (if you care to share). I
> started in the spring 1999 and was wondering if I knew you
> back then.

In the early days of this site, I don't think there were accounts (correct, Eric?). Either that or people could have the same username. So I simply used my first name when I posted. I'm not sure when accounts came into play, but when I came back, someone else had been using the same name.

So, when I created an account, I actually used my first and last name. But, since I worked in the industry at the time, I soon opted for anonymity and created the 'drachen' account.

I prefer to remain anonymous, at least in the online relm. So, I won't be sharing my original name here. We may have had a few conversations back in the day. Can't say for sure.

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/21/11 7:19:03 PM

>> Just curious what was your nick (if you care to share).

> I prefer to remain anonymous, at least in the online relm.
> So, I won't be sharing my original name here. We may have

Fair 'nuff... good to have you back :)

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/21/11 9:50:29 PM

> I started on here as 2005 turned into 2006. In coaster
> terms that's between Kingda Ka and El Toro!

Now that's a sandwich I'd like to be in the middle of! :~)

Been posting here since 2007. I've had the privileged of meeting/riding with a few of you (Mike, Roz, Paul, Gary, Gee) and hopefully many more to come! This is the only coaster site I post on. I occasionally read through others but don't actively participate.

Jen

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 12/22/11 8:29:47 AM

> As for reasons why people stopped posting there are many
> for one many tired of the hobby, others had medical
> problems and then there was a great divide amongst some who
> could not get along with each other for whatever reason.
> Patripman

Funny you mention the rough times here, many which I was a part of.

I've been going back and searching for my old TR's that I am now posting to my personal blog as a way archive what I've already written on the subject of coasters.

That's how I found this thread and reopened it.

I use to be such a Drama Queen here. It's kind of shocking that I use to take so much of this site so seriously and so personally.

When I started posting here I was in my late teens and I'm now in my early 30's, though, much less of a drama queen now.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 12/24/11 6:35:16 PM

Been here since around the time this thread started, though back then I was mostly a lurker and rarely posted. But I know it was around then because it was in October of that year that I met some of the URC's at PPP, and I had been around the board for a few months before that.

There's a couple other names in those "oldies" that I still see around in older places, but it seems that many as they got older and involved in careers, families, or other chances let coasters slip from the prominent place it was in their lives at the time. I know I spend a lot less time talking about then than I did, but that doesn't mean that I (and they) don't still enjoy them. :)

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 12/28/11 11:29:20 AM

Wow! A ten year old thread.

I started posting at URC during the summer of 1998. My wife thought I was crazy because I Wanted to drive to Kings Island from Toronto in April 1999 to meet Shaggy and Rocket Roger who I only exchanged conversations with on URC.

Boy was that a terrible cold wet weekend.

I think I have always posted as "KevinReid" and never as MyratheAlien.

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 12/28/11 11:33:42 AM

Well we hope to get to Canada's Wonderland this summer but, we have found a new love but it is a little more expensive... Crusing.

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by skc2000 at 1/1/12 8:40:28 PM

> I believe it was after Ravine Flyer 2 in '08 and definitely
> before El Toro in '09. In fact, if it wasn't for this
> message board, there probably would not have been an El
> Toro '09, and that would be a sad, sad thing.

FYI El Toro at SFGADV opened in 06.just a friendly reminder.

skc2000

Re: Poll:How Long Have You Been Posting Here? by skc2000 at 1/1/12 8:43:32 PM

I don,t remember when my first post was but i joined URC over 13 years ago in nov 98.

skc2000

Re: How Long Have I Been Posting? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/1/12 9:54:40 PM

> I believe it was after Ravine Flyer 2 in '08 and definitely
> before El Toro in '09. In fact, if it wasn't for this
> message board, there probably would not have been an El
> Toro '09, and that would be a sad, sad thing.

> FYI El Toro at SFGADV opened in 06.just a friendly
> reminder.

> skc2000
>
She was referring to her first ride, not when it opened.

Mike