Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What coaster has the dumbest name?

What coaster has the dumbest name?

SonOfBeast

Posted:
3/21/01 at
7:26:23 PM

Now we all know that you can't judge a coaster by its hill height, or how many inversions it has, and you certainly can't judge a coaster by its name, but what coaster do you think has the dumbest name? I have 2 candidates: Quantum Loop and Judge Roy Scream. These 2 names just sound too corny to be true. So what do you guys think?

SonOfBeast

Re: What coaster has the dumbest name? by Ash at 3/21/01 7:35:16 PM

> Now we all know that you can't judge a coaster by
> its hill height, or how many inversions it has,
> and you certainly can't judge a coaster by its
> name, but what coaster do you think has the
> dumbest name? I have 2 candidates: Quantum Loop
> and Judge Roy Scream. These 2 names just sound
> too corny to be true. So what do you guys think?

> SonOfBeast
Yea meh too!

Re: What coaster has the dumbest name? by Millennium Man at 3/21/01 7:51:34 PM

"Rollercoaster" is by far the dumbest name for a coaster I've ever heard of. Tons of old coasters are named this. How more uncreative can you get?

Re: What coaster has the dumbest name? by Coaster Nut at 3/21/01 8:04:40 PM

> "Rollercoaster" is by far the dumbest
> name for a coaster I've ever heard of. Tons of
> old coasters are named this. How more uncreative
> can you get?

How about a Vecoma boomerang named "boomerang" !?
Now THAT'S dumb!

Coaster Nut

Re: What coaster has the dumbest name? by LakeGeorgeComet at 3/21/01 8:25:33 PM

The absolute worst name for a coaster, has to be without a shadow of a doubt: The Sooperdooperlooper at hershey park!! I can't even say that name without being embarrassed!!

Re: What coaster has the dumbest name? by kimanatee at 3/21/01 8:29:02 PM

Not that Son of Beast as a name is DUMB neccessarily, but doesn't it kinda' sound like what exclamation you may say while riding it? "Son of a B@#%h!" O.K. Maybe not....

Re: What coaster has the dumbest name? by Ride Ridder at 3/21/01 9:57:46 PM

> SonOfBeast

Most definately Pepsi Max: The Big One. This is without a boubt the DUMBEST coaster name ever! Even if it was just called "The Big One" it would still sound stupid. What was going through the minds of the park's executives when they thought of the name. Even if I were the CEO of Pepsi, I would never think of giving a coaster such a stupid name. I could go on and on about how stupid a name this is. I even thought it was stupid when I was still, a GP if you will. Somehow I heard this name mentioned a few years back and thought that it was stupid. So once again, Dumbest name honers goes to "Pepsi Max: The Big One".

Ride Ridder
Tommy Priestley

Northwestern HS

Re: What coaster has the dumbest name? by Jersey Joe at 3/21/01 9:58:15 PM

> Not that Son of Beast as a name is DUMB
> neccessarily, but doesn't it kinda' sound like
> what exclamation you may say while riding it?
> "Son of a B@#%h!" O.K. Maybe not....

Well, look at what the two biggest OHIO parks added in 2000! Use the acronyms for
Millennium Force and Son of Beast and what do you have? MF and SOB!

So, can you imagine some person calling their friend after a trip to CP and PKI. It might go like this:

YEAH, MAN, the trip was so cool! I got to ride that MF SOB!

OY!

Do you think it's only coincidence? Well, maaaaaaaaybe.

Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe's Coaster Pages

Re: What coaster has the dumbest name? by SFStLMan at 3/21/01 10:02:23 PM

> SonOfBeast

I think that The Boss at my home park takes the cake...how is a name like that supposed to be thrilling? What is it going to do, fire you?

-SFStLMan

Re: What coaster has the dumbest name? by joe(PCW) at 3/21/01 10:07:22 PM

Well, here are names I don't like for coasters: BOOMERANG. I just don't understand why parks use this name. It's the manufactured name "Vekoma Boomerang." Why not come up with something different, other than slapping on the manufacture name for the ride. I would have thought Cedar Fair would give their Boomerang a more unique name, fitting into the African Theme @WOF, but they too simply call it "Boomerang." Not too fond of the names "Serial Thriller" or "Mind Eraser' either.

Joe.

Re: What coaster has the dumbest name? by LONNOL at 3/21/01 10:44:30 PM

> I think that The Boss at my home park takes the
> cake...how is a name like that supposed to be
> thrilling? What is it going to do, fire you?

LOL. Especially since it is in the British section to the park. There were many great names floating around the internet (like Black Thorn among others). I honestly think that people here could have brainstormed and come up with many, many better names in five minutes. I have a hard time believing people sat around a table, someone said, "Let's call it the Boss," and everyone thought it was a great idea. I can understand the corporate shilling on rides like Mr. Freeze a little bit. Although I hate the name, at least I know the reason for it is to sell merchandise. What were these people smoking when they thought the Boss...probably the same thing when some execs got that glint in their eye and thought Boomerang: Coast to Coaster would blow people's minds. Do they have chimps picking names out of a dictionary, or are the people simply that overpaid?

Adam

Amusement Park History

Re: What coaster has the dumbest name? by The Coaster Freak at 3/21/01 10:55:40 PM

Millennium Force, by far, is the dumbest roller coaster name I have ever heard. What the hell is it supposed to mean? I don't care if it was built in 2000. I am not going to bring up the millennium year argument (although, 2001, to be correct :o) but other then that, what does it mean? You may say millennenial signifigance, but what signifigance will it have in 4 years? They should've called it the Lake Erie Legend. Also, for those of you that will now think I am lying out my a-hole, I am the person that started the idea of Black Thorn (not Thorne). If anyone here used to or still posts over at Guide to The Point's site, then you'll remember it originating there. Anywho- I don't think Boss is that bad of a name. It just means that that is who is in control of everything.. you know, Large and In Charge! haha, although they should've had Springstein there for oopening day....

Greg

Re: What coaster has the dumbest name? by john smith at 3/21/01 11:38:10 PM

> SonOfBeast

when a park gives their coaster a name that coasters in other parks have is also stupid.names like batman the ride,viper,minderaser.what is even more dumb is also when the same park has 2 coasters that share part of the same name.examples like son of beast @ pki when they have the beast or like mean streak @ cp when they have blue streak or like batman & robin the chiller @ sfgadv when they have batman the ride right next to it.

Re: Funny thing.. by Coaster Nut at 3/22/01 12:24:44 AM

At WoF they have a t-shirt there that says "you're not the Boss of me" . LOL! And who says there is no competition in Missouri!

Coaster Nut

Psycho Mouse! by Merv at 3/22/01 12:48:40 AM

'Nuff said.

Re: Psycho Mouse! by joe(PCW) at 3/22/01 1:02:16 AM

> 'Nuff said.

I actually thought this name was cool when I first heard it, and funny. it fits the description perfectly IMO. The name represents the intense and crazy hairpin turns of a Wild Mouse coaster. BTW, anyone ride it yet?

Joe.

THESE UNITED STATES............nm by Sam A. Marks at 3/22/01 5:55:52 AM

You win the prize!!!! n/m by Capler at 3/22/01 12:02:50 PM

Pat your head rub your tummy, say it three times fast n/m by Capler at 3/22/01 12:05:35 PM

Only if you were the first. n/m by Capler at 3/22/01 12:08:23 PM

Only in Ohio n/m by Capler at 3/22/01 12:12:06 PM

Who was Judge Roy anyway? It has to mean something. by Capler at 3/22/01 12:15:05 PM

Joe you're too much LOL!... N/M by coasters4life at 3/22/01 12:23:17 PM

Re: What coaster has the dumbest name? by SFA S:ROS at 3/22/01 12:24:53 PM

No offense, but I do think that The Boss is a stupid name. On my list.

> Millennium Force, by far, is the dumbest roller
> coaster name I have ever heard. What the hell is
> it supposed to mean? I don't care if it was built
> in 2000. I am not going to bring up the
> millennium year argument (although, 2001, to be
> correct :o) but other then that, what does it
> mean? You may say millennenial signifigance, but
> what signifigance will it have in 4 years? They
> should've called it the Lake Erie Legend. Also,
> for those of you that will now think I am lying
> out my a-hole, I am the person that started the
> idea of Black Thorn (not Thorne). If anyone here
> used to or still posts over at Guide to The
> Point's site, then you'll remember it originating
> there. Anywho- I don't think Boss is that bad of
> a name. It just means that that is who is in
> control of everything.. you know, Large and In
> Charge! haha, although they should've had
> Springstein there for oopening day....

> Greg

Re: What coaster has the dumbest name? by BogeyMon at 3/22/01 1:07:06 PM

Raging Wolf Bobs. They ain't Bobs and they don't Rage. Since moved and renamed, who could forget B&B's Weiner Looping. There's a mental picture for you.

BogeyMon

Re: Who was Judge Roy anyway? It has to mean something. by LONNOL at 3/22/01 1:29:48 PM

I believe it was named after Judge Roy Bean, a character from the old west who believed in the "hang 'em now, ask questions later" style of justice.

Adam

Amusement Park History

Re: Psycho Mouse! by Bruce Jensen at 3/22/01 1:41:10 PM

> I actually thought this name was cool when I
> first heard it, and funny. it fits the
> description perfectly IMO. The name represents
> the intense and crazy hairpin turns of a Wild
> Mouse coaster. BTW, anyone ride it yet?

I posted a brief description below, but in short, it is a great little ride with an over-the-top name. It has surprising amounts of swell airtime, all the swell laterals you'd expect, but psycho is not the way to describe it. I like it a LOT, but the habit of naming every coaster as though it is some terrifying evil vicious thing makes me cringe.

I'm looking foreward to more rides on this classy machine tomorrow! That's all!

Bruce Jensen

Re: Yup, Judge Roy Bean was a hangem high judge in the 1800's nm. by Coaster Fanatic at 3/22/01 2:07:40 PM

Americana, Maybe 2002

PSYCHO MOUSE IS A COOL NAME! by BayAreaBoy17 at 3/22/01 8:41:22 PM

> I actually thought this name was cool when I
> first heard it, and funny. it fits the
> description perfectly IMO. The name represents
> the intense and crazy hairpin turns of a Wild
> Mouse coaster. BTW, anyone ride it yet?

The name fits perfectly for this ride, my friends and I rode it about 14 times after we finished our training at the park. The turns were very quick and the loading was very FAST. The airtime was GREAT and the whole ride is just a blast. My friends say it should be called PSYCHO CHEESE and i added that the CALIFORNIA CHEESE should sponsor the ride and put the logo "CALIFORNIA, IT'S THE CHEESE." heehee

Re: Psycho Mouse! by Johnny Mnemonic at 3/22/01 11:25:51 PM

> I posted a brief description below, but in short,
> it is a great little ride with an over-the-top
> name. It has surprising amounts of swell airtime,
> all the swell laterals you'd expect, but psycho
> is not the way to describe it. I like it a LOT,
> but the habit of naming every coaster as though
> it is some terrifying evil vicious thing makes me
> cringe.

> I'm looking foreward to more rides on this classy
> machine tomorrow! That's all!

> Bruce Jensen

I like the name. The fact that it's over the top adds to the fun IMO. While we grown ups may find the ride fun and slightly cheesy(pun), my 9 years neice will be terrified, in a good way of course!

Re: Psycho Mouse! by AirBear AirBear Profile at 3/22/01 11:51:51 PM

> I like the name. The fact that it's over the top
> adds to the fun IMO. While we grown ups may find
> the ride fun and slightly cheesy(pun), my 9 years
> neice will be terrified, in a good way of course!

I kind of like the name too, and I can't wait to check it out for myself tomorrow morning. Based on early reports, I think I'm really going to like this mouse. And I too am looking forward to riding this with my niece (almost 11) and nephew (almost 9) this spring.
AirBear

A Bad Coaster Rename by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/16/12 3:54:19 AM
The geniuses at Wild Adventures renamed the SLC 'Hangman' to 'Twisted Typhoon' which is probably the dumbest coaster name ever! (esp for a dry coaster) That sounds like a funnel slide at a waterpark or something. They had changed the paint scheme from the Westerny brown & orange to a loud green and light blue, whatta disaster! IMO under Herschends' leadership, Wild Adv have been making alotta questionable decisions, and to think that they were supposed to make the park better.

* This post was modified at 3/16/12 3:58:49 AM *

Re: A Bad Coaster Rename by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/16/12 7:02:54 AM
Overbanked said:

The geniuses at Wild Adventures renamed the SLC 'Hangman' to 'Twisted Typhoon' which is probably the dumbest coaster name ever! (esp for a dry coaster) That sounds like a funnel slide at a waterpark or something. They had changed the paint scheme from the Westerny brown & orange to a loud green and light blue, whatta disaster! IMO under Herschends' leadership, Wild Adv have been making alotta questionable decisions, and to think that they were supposed to make the park better.

ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!! I think Chris revived it to celebrate (mourn?) The season finale this weekend of my favorite show, The Walking Dead! Thanks, Chris! :)

That IS stupid, though. I only went to WA once, but Hangman was one of the better coasters of its type, for me anyway. And I always thought the name was way cool.

Mike

* This post was modified at 3/16/12 10:30:16 AM *

Re: A Bad Coaster Rename by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/16/12 8:42:15 AM
^^^Haha, I'm not too bashful about resurrecting ancient threads from the archives. I agree with you that the Hangman name was pretty cool, it was one of the better SLC names.

* This post was modified at 3/16/12 8:43:02 AM *

Re: A Bad Coaster Rename by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/16/12 10:33:26 AM
On the subject at hand, I always thought Steel Force was a very bland, boring name. Not stupid, necessarily..it just has no "zing" to it.

* This post was modified at 3/16/12 11:07:03 AM *

Re: A Bad Coaster Rename by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/16/12 3:26:45 PM
I wish I had been around here back when this post thread was first started, and I would have put that guy in his place about the JUDGE ROY SCREAM. He obviously does not know his Texas history. I need to set him straight.

The Judge Roy Scream was named for the legendary Judge Roy Bean. Bean was a renegade justice of the peace who operated his court in his saloon in the tiny town of Langry, Texas, near the Big Bend. Bean ran his precinct on his own terms didn't exactly follow Texas legal protocol.

He referred to himself as "The Law West of the Pecos." Consequently, the Judge Roy Scream is known as "The Awe West of the Pecos." This also explains why the sign at the top of the first drop of the coaster reads "Appeal Denied."

- Pat-O

Re: A Bad Coaster Rename by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/17/12 4:47:51 AM
beastmaster said:

On the subject at hand, I always thought Steel Force was a very bland, boring name. Not stupid, necessarily..it just has no "zing" to it.

Or maybe because it was in Dorney? Bland, boring, stupid, yep - all synonymous with Dorney! :-P

Jen
Re: A Bad Coaster Rename by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/17/12 4:49:10 PM
^^^Tell em' how you really feel about Dorney Jen? :)
Re: What coaster has the dumbest name? by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 3/22/12 11:31:34 PM
I really like The Bosses name. It's very fitting giving the nature of it. Even though it is also my favorite ride at SFStL.
Re: A Bad Coaster Rename by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/23/12 1:36:48 AM
LoneStar said:

I wish I had been around here back when this post thread was first started, and I would have put that guy in his place about the JUDGE ROY SCREAM. He obviously does not know his Texas history. I need to set him straight.

The Judge Roy Scream was named for the legendary Judge Roy Bean. Bean was a renegade justice of the peace who operated his court in his saloon in the tiny town of Langry, Texas, near the Big Bend. Bean ran his precinct on his own terms didn't exactly follow Texas legal protocol.

He referred to himself as "The Law West of the Pecos." Consequently, the Judge Roy Scream is known as "The Awe West of the Pecos." This also explains why the sign at the top of the first drop of the coaster reads "Appeal Denied."

- Pat-O

Judge Roy Bean was an answer (question) on Jeopardy last night.

Mike

Re: A Bad Coaster Rename by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/23/12 8:43:52 AM

Mike

And I know you got it right. God bless Texas.

- Pat-O

Re: A Bad Coaster Rename by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/23/12 9:01:02 AM
LoneStar said:

Mike

- Pat-O

Sure did, and thought of you! It was some quote which I can't remember..something to effect of "the reason I know the law so well is because I break it so often."...not in those words, though.

Re: A Bad Coaster Rename by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/23/12 6:18:11 PM
LoneStar said:

- Pat-O

LOL, I saw it, and forgot his name (Roy Bean), but I did know that the Judge Roy Scream coaster was named after him. It's in my head now, Roy Bean! :)