Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The oldest still active coaster?

The oldest still active coaster?

Smitty

Posted:
2/23/01 at
9:02:58 PM

Does anyone know which coaster is the oldest still in use today? Oldest in North America? Europe? I'm doing a little project with myself to ride as many of the old coasters as I can. Thanks. Smitty

Re: The oldest still active coaster? by Blast Coaster at 2/23/01 9:31:17 PM

> Does anyone know which coaster is the oldest
> still in use today? Oldest in North America?
> Europe? I'm doing a little project with myself to
> ride as many of the old coasters as I can.
> Thanks. Smitty

The world's oldest coaster in operation is Leap-th-Dips at Lakemont park in Altoona, Pennsylvania. It is the only wooden, side-friction coaster left in the world and uses bottom and side wheels riding on a bobsled-like track instead of the typical three-wheel coaster car-track arrangement with single cars of 2 rows with 2 passengers per row. The coaster stands at 40 feet tall, features a maximum drop of 9 feet. The ride opened in 1902, closed in 1985 and was nearly demolished until it was decided to re-furbish the coaster, re-opening on May 31, 1999. I hope this helps :)

COASTERnet 2001!

Re: The oldest still active coaster? by Blast Coaster at 2/23/01 9:35:53 PM

I forgot to mention that Leap-the-Dips was designed by Edward Joy Morris and built by the Edward Joy Morris Co.. It is a current American Coaster Enthusiasts classic coaster and features a 1,452' long course that lasts approximately 1 minute. The steepest drop is 25 degrees. For pictures of Leap-the-Dips, be sure to visit:

http://www.coastergallery.com/GA/lakemont.html

COASTERnet 2001!

Re: The oldest still active coaster? by coasterbryan at 2/24/01 2:26:01 AM

> Does anyone know which coaster is the oldest
> still in use today? Oldest in North America?
> Europe? I'm doing a little project with myself to
> ride as many of the old coasters as I can.
> Thanks. Smitty
HI: Smitty,there are 2 oldest in the north america,i think this coaster ( Leap the dips) is older than the cyclone at cooney's island of ney york

coasterbryan's website

Re: The oldest still active coaster? by Sam A. Marks at 2/24/01 8:35:15 AM

Leap the dips is probably the oldest coaster still in operation today, but it isn't the only side friction coaster in the world. there are still a couple left in europe. ACE did a report on one of them just a little while back.

Another coaster OLDER than the Cyclone at Coney Island is Thw Wild One at Six Flags America It was originally built in 1917.

SAM

Re: The oldest still active coaster? by Hoffman at 2/24/01 8:38:58 AM

I believe the oldest roller coaster in North America is Leap The Dips, built in 1902 this historic roller coaster is located in Lakemont Park in Altoona PA. As for the oldest one in the world I am unsure of that.
>Kris

Re: The oldest still active coaster? by Smitty at 2/24/01 9:30:15 AM

Thanks everyone! It looks like I'm off to Altoona Pa. this summer to ride Leap the Dips. It's there another old coaster at Kennywood Park? I wonder if they are close together? Smitty

Re: The oldest still active coaster? by Riverview Mike at 2/24/01 10:33:55 AM

> Thanks everyone! It looks like I'm off to Altoona
> Pa. this summer to ride Leap the Dips. It's there
> another old coaster at Kennywood Park?

Kennywood has IMHO the best collection of old woodies in existance - Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt and Racer.

Jack Rabbit was built in 1921 and has an unbelievable double dip. Passenger restraints have to be seen to be believed.

Thunderbolt was originally built in 1924 as the Pippin, but was later reprofiled into Thunderbolt.

Racer was built in 1927 and is one of only 3(?) single track racer coasters in the world.

DO NOT MISS KENNYWOOD - It's only 95 miles West of Altoona, PA.

Mike
I wonder
> if they are close together? Smitty

Re: The oldest still active coaster? by KAZ at 2/24/01 12:51:44 PM

And don't forget about the other classic rides that Kennywood has: A Traver Tumble Bug, Traver Auto Ride, Noah's Ark, and The Old Mill to name a few.

> Kennywood has IMHO the best collection of old
> woodies in existance - Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt
> and Racer.

> Jack Rabbit was built in 1921 and has an
> unbelievable double dip. Passenger restraints
> have to be seen to be believed.

> Thunderbolt was originally built in 1924 as the
> Pippin, but was later reprofiled into
> Thunderbolt.

> Racer was built in 1927 and is one of only 3(?)
> single track racer coasters in the world.

> DO NOT MISS KENNYWOOD - It's only 95 miles West
> of Altoona, PA.

> Mike
> I wonder

Re: The oldest still active coaster? by Memphomaniac at 2/24/01 3:42:32 PM

> Another coaster OLDER than the Cyclone at Coney
> Island is Thw Wild One at Six Flags America It
> was originally built in 1917.

Another coaster OLDER than these is Zippin Pippin at Libertyland. Originally built in 1912 and then relocated to the Fairgrounds in 1923.
User Submitted Picture

Re: The oldest still active coaster? by d n s u at 2/25/01 2:07:01 PM

> Does anyone know which coaster is the oldest
> still in use today? Oldest in North America?
> Europe? I'm doing a little project with myself to
> ride as many of the old coasters as I can.
> Thanks. Smitty

These are they as far as I know - feel free to argue - I don't know whether this is the definitive list.

1 - Leap the Dips 1902
2 - Scenic Railway Luna Park Melbourne Australia 1912
3 - Rutschbanen Tivoli 1914
4 - Jack Rabbit New Jersey 1919
5 - Jack Rabbit Breeze Park New York 1920
6 - Scenic Railway Margate UK 1920
7 - Jack Rabbit Kennywood 1921
8 - Roller Coaster Lagoon Utah 1921
9 - Zippin Pippin Memphis 1923 (came from somewhere else)
10 - Big Dipper Blackpool Pleasure Beach UK 1923

the cow in the ark

Re: The oldest still active coaster? by Memphomaniac at 2/25/01 2:28:04 PM

> 9 - Zippin Pippin Memphis 1923 (came from
> somewhere else)

Zippin Pippin was built in 1912 at the old East End amusement park in what is now the Overton Square area in Memphis, it was moved to the Faigrounds in 1923 and then became part of Libertyland when opened in 1976.

Type - Wooden, Out-and-Back
Designer - John A. Miller, Harry C. Baker
Manufacturer - National Amusement Devices(NAD)
Year - 1912; relocated 1923; rebuilt 1976
Height - 70 feet
Maximum Drop - 70 feet
Length - 2865 feet
Top Speed - 40 mph
Ride Time - 1 minute, 30 seconds
TrainManufacturer - Philadelphia Toboggan Company

User Submitted Picture

Re: The oldest still active coaster? by d n s u at 2/25/01 3:24:44 PM

> Zippin Pippin was built in 1912 at the old East
> End amusement park in what is now the Overton
> Square area in Memphis, it was moved to the
> Faigrounds in 1923 and then became part of
> Libertyland when opened in 1976.

> Type - Wooden, Out-and-Back
> Designer - John A. Miller, Harry C. Baker
> Manufacturer - National Amusement Devices(NAD)
> Year - 1912; relocated 1923; rebuilt 1976
> Height - 70 feet
> Maximum Drop - 70 feet
> Length - 2865 feet
> Top Speed - 40 mph

Thanks for that..I should have read the post further down first of all!

To finish off the list:
11 - Giant Dipper Santa Cruz 1924
12 - Giant Dipper Belmont Park 1925
13 - Big Dipper Aurora, OH 1925
14 Wildcat Lake Compounce 1927
15 Giant Coaster Arnolds Park Iowa 1927
16 Cyclone Astroland NY 1927
17 Racer Kennywood 1927
18 Little Dipper Playland NJ 1928
19 Dragon Coaster Playland NJ 1929

The oldest Park in your country I believe is Lake Compounce CT 1846
The oldest park in the world is in Denmark at Bakken 1583
Of all the parks I've visited in USA I rate Knottsberry Farm as the best for atmosphere..I have not visited Kennywood yet though and want to..If there was a twin park for Blackpool then this would be it..

the cow in the ark

Re: The oldest still active coaster? Photo by Big_Dave_49 Big_Dave_49 Profile at 11/1/13 5:27:48 PM
I thought I'd throw in some info from the west coast. In Santa Cruz California there is the Beach Boardwalk http://www.beachboardwalk.com/nd at the Boardwalk there is the Giant Dipper rollercoaster.
http://news.beachboardwalk.com/press-kit/giant-dipper#.UnQbGPmbO-Y
As you check out this info you will find that the Giant Dipper is 3 years older than the Cyclone and the fifth oldest coaster in the U.S.
I have ridden this coaster more than 100 times as I have grown up in the area. It has a great take off you drop into a tunnel area for about 10 seconds and then you come out of the dark headed for the skies and the BIG drop and all the screams you can muster. Up a huge left hand turn and down with a bunch of hills to give you good air time, it's a great coaster. User Submitted Picture

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

Re: The oldest still active coaster? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 11/1/13 6:30:23 PM
Giant Dipper at Belmont Park was one of my favorite experiences when I was in San Diego. I don't know if I'll ever make it back out there again in my lifetime but it was a nice.
Re: The oldest still active coaster? by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 11/7/13 7:34:06 PM
Also the Wild One at SFA (or at least most of it, since part of it burned down before it was relocated) is pretty ancient as well, and was built in its original location in 1917. So even though it was moved, it would still qualify for being one of the oldest in the US, and perhaps in the world.
Re: The oldest still active coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/7/13 8:05:02 PM
And yet it's STILL 15 years younger than Leap The Dips.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: The oldest still active coaster? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 11/7/13 8:15:40 PM
Schrecken said:

Also the Wild One at SFA (or at least most of it, since part of it burned down before it was relocated) is pretty ancient as well, and was built in its original location in 1917. So even though it was moved, it would still qualify for being one of the oldest in the US, and perhaps in the world.

And I have to give credit to the ever changing management at Six Flags America for not destroying it. Hell, it as running the best it's ever been in the last year.

Beast, if Leap the Dips is still around in 2102, I'll be thoroughly impressed. Imagine that generation riding something that will probably be considered a relic at that point. God knows what coasters (if they are still popular) will be like in the 22nd century. I won't be around, unless you know science fiction becomes reality.

Re: The oldest still active coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/8/13 7:26:42 AM
Heck, never mind 2102..it's a relic NOW! But what a fun one! I enjoyed the heck out of that ride on my sole visit in 2009.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: The oldest still active coaster? by blaughlin at 11/11/13 7:43:56 AM
I remember being on the GhostRider at Knotts. Nothing beats those old wooden coasters.
Re: The oldest still active coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/11/13 9:45:04 AM
^^ Sorry, but I'd hardly call a coaster that opened in 1998 "old."
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: The oldest still active coaster? by alpengeistno3 at 11/11/13 11:14:37 PM
beastmaster said:

^^ Sorry, but I'd hardly call a coaster that opened in 1998 "old."

ROFLMAO!!! Seriously?!?!

Paul