Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > defunct parks in Virginia, Maryland, and Gettysburg, PA

defunct parks in Virginia, Maryland, and Gettysburg, PA

tanner

Posted:
9/12/00 at
12:23:05 PM

This is my first time here, I'm looking for some info for some former amusement parks in the Washington-Baltimore, Roanoke, and Gettysburg areas.

I work at a radio station in the Eastern Panhandle of
West Virginia, cleaning out our basement I came across
an old commerical for an amusement park ( now defunct )
called Marshall Hall. It was located near Washington DC. The commerical ran on our station in 1975 ( thats what it said on the box), Inviting people to ride the boat to Marshall Hall. Ride their giant roller coaster and enjoy the many rides.

Does anybody remember this park? I have asked many of my co-workers about it but they get this place confused with Glen Echo ( another defunct Maryland park ). Was wondering how big this park was and what their coaster was like. Curious why and when this place closed.

There was also a park in the Roanoke area of Virginia
called Lakeside. I remember driving by this place back in March of 86. Looked like a nice sized park. The coaster looked cool. Went back there a few years later but Lakeside was already history. Anybody out there had a chance to visit this place and checked out their coaster before they closed?

Wonder why they closed. Roanoke isnt all the close to the other theme/ amusement parks in the area ( PKD, Camden Park, BGW, or Carowinds ), a lot of people do live in that area, one would think a park would do well down there.

Back in the 1970s Baltimore had a park on Route 40 not too far from their beltway ( I-895 ). It was more of a kiddie park, in fact I remember watching a kids show on
channel 45 ( Captian Chesapeake I think it was called ) and they did commericals for this place.
Wondering if anybody knows what place I am talking about. My co-worker used to work for Baltimore's channel 2, and he tells me that there has never been an amusement park on Route 40.

I do remember as a kid ( this was back in the mid 70s )
an amusement park in Gettysburg, PA called Fantasy Land. Even though it was mainly a "kids" park, they DID have some really cool rides. I do remember enjoying their "Christmas themed" fun house. Does anybody remember this place? When did this place closed? I do remember they had a sky lift, boats, and
many kiddy rides. It was a neat place.

I did run into a woman a few years back ( 1997 ) in Winchester, Virginia and she told me that Fantasy Land is still there but still closed and decaying badly. True? I was up in that area last year and I didnt see
anything that even came close to looking like a defunct amusement park. Then again I am not exactly sure of thier location, so I could very well may have
had passed it by.

Re: defunct parks in Virginia, Maryland, and Gettysburg, PA by BigDave at 9/12/00 2:25:26 PM

> Back in the 1970s Baltimore had a park on Route
> 40 not too far from their beltway ( I-895 ). It
> was more of a kiddie park, in fact I remember
> watching a kids show on
> channel 45 ( Captian Chesapeake I think it was
> called ) and they did commericals for this place.
> Wondering if anybody knows what place I am
> talking about. My co-worker used to work for
> Baltimore's channel 2, and he tells me that there
> has never been an amusement park on Route 40.

Tanner,

There was a park in Ellicot City, MD, about 15 miles west of Baltimore on Route 40, called the Enchanted Forest. I remember going there. It was a kiddie park, and I don't remember if it had many motorized rides. It had stuff like kiddie cars, and lots of fun things themed towards fairy tales and adventure tales like Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, a Jungle River Ride, and a Cinderella Castle. There was also cool island with multiple slides... A cool place to visit when you are 8. The entrance to the place is still there, along with some of the buildings, as a shopping center was built around it. They kept the entrance for some reason. Also, the John Watters/Johnny Depp film "Cry Baby" had scenes filmed there.

BigDave

Re: defunct parks in Virginia, Maryland, and Gettysburg, PA by rocketmover at 9/12/00 2:33:32 PM

Coupla thoughts on these - Marshall Hall was on the Potomac DOWNRIVER from the District. Glen Echo is upriver - have been to both, but was at Marshall Hall during a high school band trip to D.C. in the 60's - we indeed rode a boat and a lost my glasses on the roller coaster. A few years ago, was trekking around Prince George's County and found a county park at Marshall Hall - apparently before the park there was some sort of estate there called Marshall Hall, hence the name. There is a sign there talking about the amusement park, otherwise just open park-like area but rather pretty. It's right on the river. I think it closed in the early to mid '70's - not very well documented and I really can't remember much, must have been around 15 at the time and, like I said, lost my glasses on the coaster so couldn't see anything after that.

As to Lakeside in Salem, rode the Coaster there in 1981 - the Shooting Star - was dismantled by Charlie Dinn in 86 or 87 when park closed, was supposed to be moved to Emerald Point waterpark in Greensboro, NC but fell through. I have heard variously that it is (a) lying in a field in Greensboro, and (b) lying in a field in Salem. Don't know which is true. Agree that it could have been a successful place - still think there is room for a "family" type park somewhere in the Shenandoah valley.

Don't know about Fantasyland or the Baltimore place - for more info, you might want to check out www.defunctparks.com - also, if you're into traditional parks and haven't yet been there, go to Knoebels in Elysburg, Pa - maybe 2 and a half hours from where you live - straight up I-81 to Exit 25 (Minersville, Rt. 901) and about 20-25 minutes from there. Carousels, brass rings, ride-through dark ride, 2 fantastic wooden coasters - you gotta see it to believe it
> This is my first time here, I'm looking for some
> info for some former amusement parks in the
> Washington-Baltimore, Roanoke, and Gettysburg
> areas.

> I work at a radio station in the Eastern
> Panhandle of
> West Virginia, cleaning out our basement I came
> across
> an old commerical for an amusement park ( now
> defunct )
> called Marshall Hall. It was located near
> Washington DC. The commerical ran on our station
> in 1975 ( thats what it said on the box),
> Inviting people to ride the boat to Marshall
> Hall. Ride their giant roller coaster and enjoy
> the many rides.

> Does anybody remember this park? I have asked
> many of my co-workers about it but they get this
> place confused with Glen Echo ( another defunct
> Maryland park ). Was wondering how big this park
> was and what their coaster was like. Curious why
> and when this place closed.

> There was also a park in the Roanoke area of
> Virginia
> called Lakeside. I remember driving by this place
> back in March of 86. Looked like a nice sized
> park. The coaster looked cool. Went back there a
> few years later but Lakeside was already history.
> Anybody out there had a chance to visit this
> place and checked out their coaster before they
> closed?

> Wonder why they closed. Roanoke isnt all the
> close to the other theme/ amusement parks in the
> area ( PKD, Camden Park, BGW, or Carowinds ), a
> lot of people do live in that area, one would
> think a park would do well down there.

> I do remember as a kid ( this was back in the mid
> 70s )
> an amusement park in Gettysburg, PA called
> Fantasy Land. Even though it was mainly a
> "kids" park, they DID have some really
> cool rides. I do remember enjoying their
> "Christmas themed" fun house. Does
> anybody remember this place? When did this place
> closed? I do remember they had a sky lift, boats,
> and
> many kiddy rides. It was a neat place.

> I did run into a woman a few years back ( 1997 )
> in Winchester, Virginia and she told me that
> Fantasy Land is still there but still closed and
> decaying badly. True? I was up in that area last
> year and I didnt see
> anything that even came close to looking like a
> defunct amusement park. Then again I am not
> exactly sure of thier location, so I could very
> well may have
> had passed it by.

Re: defunct parks in Virginia, Maryland, and Gettysburg, PA by SFA Dave at 9/12/00 4:52:05 PM

> This is my first time here, I'm looking for some
> info for some former amusement parks in the
> Washington-Baltimore, Roanoke, and Gettysburg
> areas.

> I work at a radio station in the Eastern
> Panhandle of
> West Virginia, cleaning out our basement I came
> across
> an old commerical for an amusement park ( now
> defunct )
> called Marshall Hall. It was located near
> Washington DC. The commerical ran on our station
> in 1975 ( thats what it said on the box),
> Inviting people to ride the boat to Marshall
> Hall. Ride their giant roller coaster and enjoy
> the many rides.

> Does anybody remember this park? I have asked
> many of my co-workers about it but they get this
> place confused with Glen Echo ( another defunct
> Maryland park ). Was wondering how big this park
> was and what their coaster was like. Curious why
> and when this place closed.

> There was also a park in the Roanoke area of
> Virginia
> called Lakeside. I remember driving by this place
> back in March of 86. Looked like a nice sized
> park. The coaster looked cool. Went back there a
> few years later but Lakeside was already history.
> Anybody out there had a chance to visit this
> place and checked out their coaster before they
> closed?

> Wonder why they closed. Roanoke isnt all the
> close to the other theme/ amusement parks in the
> area ( PKD, Camden Park, BGW, or Carowinds ), a
> lot of people do live in that area, one would
> think a park would do well down there.

> I do remember as a kid ( this was back in the mid
> 70s )
> an amusement park in Gettysburg, PA called
> Fantasy Land. Even though it was mainly a
> "kids" park, they DID have some really
> cool rides. I do remember enjoying their
> "Christmas themed" fun house. Does
> anybody remember this place? When did this place
> closed? I do remember they had a sky lift, boats,
> and
> many kiddy rides. It was a neat place.

> I did run into a woman a few years back ( 1997 )
> in Winchester, Virginia and she told me that
> Fantasy Land is still there but still closed and
> decaying badly. True? I was up in that area last
> year and I didnt see
> anything that even came close to looking like a
> defunct amusement park. Then again I am not
> exactly sure of thier location, so I could very
> well may have
> had passed it by.

I do not know the location, but in Baltimore there used to be TWO parks. Carlins and Gwenoke. One of them (i think Carlins) had a wooden caoster and a wild mouse. The kiddie-park you're thinking of is, i THINK, called the enchanted forest or soemthing, and I recently saw on the news that they were going to attempt a reopening.

-Dave

Re: defunct parks in Virginia, Maryland, and Gettysburg, PA by LONNOL at 9/12/00 8:21:47 PM

The Marshall Hall coaster was blown down in 1977 by a tornado. I do not know who the designer was, but it looked like a Schmeck from the few pics I have seen.

Adam

Re: defunct parks in Virginia, Maryland, and Gettysburg, PA by Sam A. Marks at 9/14/00 7:15:37 AM

There was a LUNA PARK in Arlington VA, and Capital Gardens in Northeast DC. I have zero info on either, other than CG had a woodie. and LP was in South Arlington near Potomac Yards.

SAM

Re: Lakeside memories and questions by chryanvii at 9/14/00 2:24:39 PM

I remember that Lakeside was one of the first amusament parks I ever visited - maybe even before kings dominion. I was only like 6 or 7 at the time, so I don't remember much. I just heard that the amusament park was shut down after a big flood - I don't remember much else being there except for the rollercoaster and the "rocket ship" ride that kept breaking down, which leads me to my questions:

(1) What other rides did Lakeside contain?
(2) Why did the park actually shut down?
(3) Where was the park located - could it be seen off

81, what exit?

thanks.

Re: Defunct MD/PA Parks - Enchanted Forest - MD by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 3/10/14 3:28:33 PM
I could've sworn we've talked about the Enchanted Forest in Ellicott City MD that's been closed since 1989 on here.

I went back to the way back time machine and it appears EF hasn't been discussed here in quite some time.

I came across this link today that talks a bit about the history of the park that was geared for children and was themed to Fairy Tales.

Here's the link, it's a few months old.

http://ellicottcity.patch.com/groups/around-town/p/former-enchanted-forest-site-being-cleared

Joe
Great_Ump

http://ellicottcity.patch.com/groups/around-town/p/former-enchanted-forest-site-being-cleared

Re: defunct parks in Virginia, Maryland, and Gettysburg, PA by Patripman Patripman Profile at 3/10/14 11:00:44 PM
Holy .... a post from 14 years ago, talk about going back a long time.

Patripman

Re: defunct parks in Virginia, Maryland, and Gettysburg, PA by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 3/11/14 7:58:09 AM
I was thinking the same thing when I saw a couple of those names- Sam Marks, Adam Sandy (Lonnol), Big Dave... Wow.

lots of "defunct posters" on a thread about defunct parks, though different reasons behind that defunction. (is that a word? lol)