Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Poll: Most underrated coasters

Poll: Most underrated coasters

SFA Dave

Posted:
6/8/00 at
4:30:10 PM

In my past trips to both HP and PKD the idea of very underrated coasters needing recognition came to me. I'm just curious as to what everybodies wood and steel are.

Mine are

-Wood:Rebel Yell at PKD and Comet at HP

-Steel:Taz's Texas Tornado and ultra twister at AstroWorld

-Dave

Re: Poll: Most underrated coasters by Zimm at 6/8/00 5:01:14 PM

Wood: Comet at Hershey (can't think of any others)

Steel: OL:FOF at PKD, Two Face (SFA)

> In my past trips to both HP and PKD the idea of
> very underrated coasters needing recognition came
> to me. I'm just curious as to what everybodies
> wood and steel are.

> Mine are

> -Wood:Rebel Yell at PKD and Comet at HP

> -Steel:Taz's Texas Tornado and ultra twister at
> AstroWorld

> -Dave

Re: Poll: Most underrated coasters by BrianG at 6/8/00 5:07:08 PM

Here's my most underrated coasters:

Steel:

Viper @ SFDL
Drachen Fire @ BGW
Orient Express @ WOF
Dragon Mountain @ Marienland

Wood:

Predator @ SFDL
Hurricane @ Pavillion
Grizzly @ PKD

Unofficial Guide to SFDL

Re: Poll: Most underrated coasters by Johnny Mnemonic at 6/8/00 5:26:15 PM

Mine's are:

Steel

Top Gun-PGA
Top Gun-Carrowinds

Wood

Giant Dipper-SCBB
Grizzly-PKD

Top Gun @ PGA (No msg) by JAL at 6/8/00 6:05:54 PM

Re: Poll: Most underrated coasters by Dale Caskey at 6/8/00 6:13:10 PM

My most underrated coaster list would include:

1. Red Devil (see you havn't even heard of it)
2. Thunder Run
3. Wild One
4. Jack Rabbit
5. Gemini
6. Racer at Kings Island
7. Screechin Eagle
8. Big Dipper at Geauga Lake
9. Iron Dragon
10. Screamin Eagle

Vipor (SFGAm) wood; Shockwave (SFoT) steel /// by Giff at 6/8/00 6:17:10 PM

Re: Poll: Most underrated coasters by Superbatboy at 6/8/00 6:52:20 PM

Space Mountain at DISNEYLAND. That ride is so dope. Even though it's going on 21 years old, that ride still performs. I love the way it rides, sounds and feels. And the music they added a couple of years ago is dope too. The only problem is that not all the Train's speakers work...lol...

Re: Poll: Most underrated coasters by BReNt at 6/8/00 7:11:18 PM

Not in any order:
Blue Streak
Mean Streak
Iron Dragon(all at Cedar Point)
Rock N Roller Coaster(Disney MGM Studios of Walt Disney World)
Viper(Six Flags Great America)

Re: Poll: Most underrated coasters by OhioMike at 6/8/00 8:12:17 PM

Well I have only been to about 8 parks. But Id say underated. Hurler is never herd of, but a cool ride. Im not sure if the Georgia Cyclone is underated, but its prety intense. Serial Thriller to me is one of the better suspended inverts. I like the two accross instead of 4 for some reason. Um Disater Transport, is not horrible its just sorta bad. I was sorta like "that was kinda cool" when I came off it. Thunder Road at Carowinds is a tad underated. Its as good as the racer at PKI, mabey evan better.

SOBANDMFPICS click reload a few times sometimes if it dont come up

Re: Poll: Most underrated coasters by Coaster Freak at 6/8/00 8:16:20 PM

Mine are.

Steel: The Vortex at PKI

Wood: The backwards racer at PKI

Kyle

Re: Poll: Most underrated coasters by Mwatts at 6/8/00 9:27:41 PM

Mantis at Cedar Point

Re: Desperado (No Msg) by Tony at 6/8/00 10:41:06 PM

Re: Poll: Most underrated coasters by comet3506 at 6/8/00 11:54:30 PM

> Wood: Comet at Hershey (can't think of any
> others)

> Steel: OL:FOF at PKD, Two Face (SFA)

I have to agree that the HP Comet is really underrated.

Steel, I would say: Loch Ness Monster & Great American Scream Machine at SFGAdv

comet

Re: Poll: Most underrated coasters by KMAN KMAN Profile at 6/9/00 1:19:43 AM

> In my past trips to both HP and PKD the idea of
> very underrated coasters needing recognition came
> to me. I'm just curious as to what everybodies
> wood and steel are.

> Mine are

_______

I'm not so sure RY is underrated. It doesn't receive a lot of hype because it just isn't a great woody. But, nearly everyone agrees that it is a good coaster that is fun to ride. IMO, Rebel Yell is understood very well for what it is and does as a ride.

Comet at HP COULD be a great ride. But, with all of the breaking on the second half it is a yawner compared to the riotous pacing of a better woody. This is a shame. Schmeck designed Comet. He also designed Phoenix and GE Comet. Those two coasters deliver amazing airtime. HP Comet has the same smaller camel backs that would produce some nice air if it weren't for the brakes! --K

Re: Poll: Most underrated coasters by Jersey Joe at 6/9/00 2:31:16 PM

> Mine are

> -Steel:Taz's Texas Tornado and ultra twister at
> AstroWorld

> -Dave

Dave it's a shame you can't ride HP's Comet the way it used to run. It rivaled Phoenix at Knoebels for airtime before that annoying brake was added and applied so heavily.
Also, when Ultra Twister was at GAdv, it had a 90 degree lift, not it's current 45 degrees.

My most underrated coaster is The Skyliner at Lakemont.
Ride the back seat, and bounce away. The airtime was amazing when we rode it June of '99.

Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe's Coaster Pages

Re: Poll: Most underrated coasters by SFA Dave at 6/9/00 4:15:33 PM

> Dave it's a shame you can't ride HP's Comet the
> way it used to run. It rivaled Phoenix at
> Knoebels for airtime before that annoying brake
> was added and applied so heavily.
> Also, when Ultra Twister was at GAdv, it had a 90
> degree lift, not it's current 45 degrees.

> My most underrated coaster is The Skyliner at
> Lakemont.
> Ride the back seat, and bounce away. The airtime
> was amazing when we rode it June of '99.

> Jersey Joe
Yeah, I keep hearing how good it was. well it was my first coaster so it has a special place for me. I do remember lots and lots of airtime though, but this year it was back, the brakes weren't on heavy at all. Too bad they messed up Wildcat, huh? Have you ever been on Rebel Yell, that is an airtime machine, provided you ride backwards in the last seat (any seat in the last car is great but you gotta take the back). It is also very intense not being able to see anything that is coming. Almost every hill has airtime (I only ride going backwards though), especially the first and turnaround drops. I wanna know why DC didn't have this as a classic out and back. No coaster has been built in the style of Shivering Timbers for many decades. Well this might not be as tall, but it sure is a fun out and back coaster that is extremely underrated. PKD's Grizzly is also a tad underrated, but not nearly to the extent that RY is over looked. If you're ever in PKD, you cannot miss this ride.

-Dave

Re: Poll: Most underrated coasters by Aventador117 at 8/25/14 10:34:05 PM
My vote for the most underrated

steel coaster: Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland. Honestly this ride should deserve much more love than it does. It's definitely in the top 3 for the best steel coaster in the world and it isn't even in the top 10 according to the Golden Ticket Awards and the Mitch Hawker Poll.

wood coaster: Mean Streak at Cedar Point. Although this ride has a rough history recently it has been re-tracked and although it's still fairly rough in certain places it's now manageable. In 2010 if I went on Mean Streak you'd see a lot of people coming off and complaining about a headache. Now when you go to the exit of this ride that isn't the case. Although I haven't even been on 10 wooden coasters and this is what scared me away from them for a while, this is what I vote for because it didn't make the top 50 wood coasters according to the Golden Ticket Awards and it should at least make that, if only by a little.

Re: Poll: Most underrated coasters by Patripman Patripman Profile at 8/26/14 7:11:09 AM
Wow you want to talk about a flashback? A post that is 14 years old that means I had way more hair on the head than today, Jersey Joe and ChillForce was 14 years younger and almost 2/3rds of the posters who were on this message board back then have either moved on or found other interests.

patripman

* This post was modified at 8/26/14 7:14:21 AM *